Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated Goals of All Time

• 11-05-2018 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Question shamelessly stolen from FourFourTwo's Twitter...

Xabi Alonso's from the halfway line against Newcastle is one for me.

Also Carlos Alberto's famous one in 1970 is great, but doesn't deserve quite the adulation it gets.

Yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Rooney's shinned overhead kick.

He he he he.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SlickRic wrote: »
    Also Carlos Alberto's famous one in 1970 is great, but doesn't deserve quite the adulation it gets.

Sitebanned! :D

For me it's Beckham's goal from the halfway line against Wimbledon. Great vision to spot the keeper off the line and deserves credit for having the balls to give it a go, but from that distance out it's pure luck whether you end up looking like a genius or a bit of a gobsh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

brevity wrote: »
    Rooney's shinned overhead kick.

He he he he.
    Best goal in Premier League history my arse! There's been miles better ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Roberto Carlos came out last year and said the freekick against France was going completely wide, and it was the wind that brought it back in.

Ruined one of my favourite goals, the bastid!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

brevity wrote: »
    Rooney's shinned overhead.

Absolutely this. First goal that came to mind.

If it wasn't him, or it wasn't the manchester derby, it would have been a good goal and nothing more. The technique was nowhere near the quality of Trevor Sinclair's effort from outside the box, or even Ronaldo's recent champions league goal (athletic leap and perfect connection with the ball).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Ah heOR!

It's a masterpiece. Clodoaldo nutmegging at the start, even the ball on the left from Rivelino to Jairzinho is a peach. The way Carlos Alberto connected with the finish, running at full speed. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Beckham v Wimbledon from halfway line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Zidane in champions league final v levurkusen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gascoigne vs Scotland in Euro 96.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Oh thank god, i thought i was going to be alone with Rooneys goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cantona one against Sunderland where he chips the keeper, good goal but wouldn't be remembered as much without the celebration or if it wasn't a character like him who scored it

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Sirsok wrote: »
    Zidane in cahmpions league final v levurkusen

How is this overated?
    Absolutely brilliant goal, in biggest of games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Knex. wrote: »
    Roberto Carlos came out last year and said the freekick against France was going completely wide, and it was the wind that brought it back in.

Ruined one of my favourite goals, the bastid!

This is the goal that immediately sprang to my mind..not sure about the wind, but there's no convincing me he meant to do it.

Bergkamp's flick/miscontrol v Newcastle
    Whelan's volley against USSR

dfx- wrote: »

Uh, there's no doubt whatsoever that he meant that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Zaph wrote: »
    For me it's Beckham's goal from the halfway line against Wimbledon. Great vision to spot the keeper off the line and deserves credit for having the balls to give it a go, but from that distance out it's pure luck whether you end up looking like a genius or a bit of a gobsh*te.
    I don't think it's as great a goal as people make it out to be but it's hardly 'pure luck'. He's at an angle, long distance away so smaller target to aim for and he has to make sure he can get it over the keeper and beneath the crossbar. Any goal like that requires a sharp eye

That Rooney goal is a bit scrappy but its still a good finish. Agreed that the ocassion gives it more importance than it should. His goal against Newcastle was a million times better, though.

Carlos Alberto's one is about the build-up. The ball up the line to Jairzinho is incredible, as is the casual, weighted pass from Pele to set up Carlos Alberto.

A lot of great goals have an element of luck but it shouldn't take away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Most of the goals from the halfway line when the keeper's out of position.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Rooney's shinner, without a doubt. Then again, I'm biased so I would opt for that one. If I had to name another one though, Thierry Henry's "solo" effort against Spurs at Highbury. Yes, it was a fantastic run. But damn me, not one Spurs player attempted a decent tackle on him until it was too late. You let someone like him run unopposed up the pitch, you're asking for trouble.

blueser wrote: »
    Rooney's shinner, without a doubt. Then again, I'm biased so I would opt for that one. If I had to name another one though, Thierry Henry's "solo" effort against Spurs at Highbury. Yes, it was a fantastic run. But damn me, not one Spurs player attempted a decent tackle on him until it was too late. You let someone like him run unopposed up the pitch, you're asking for trouble.

Aye, I'm an Arsenal fan, but Henry's scored much better individual goals. Liverpool 04, Liverpool 07 (he had a penchant for leaving Jamie Carragher on his arse :P), and of course the Bernebau goal.

This is the goal that immediately sprang to my mind..not sure about the wind, but there's no convincing me he meant to do it.

Whelan's volley against USSR

That sprung to mind too.

A great goal, no doubt, but I'd nearly put it in the over rated category at this stage.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, maybe because Adam is a loathsome player, but his strike against Chelsea from about 65 yards was one of the best PL long range goals I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A couple of Ibrahimovic's goals come to mind for me.
    Firstly the one against England where Harte came out to head it, the ball went short and left an empty net to put it in behind him.
    Secondly the goal against NAC Breda when he was with Ajax.....it is an excellent goal, but some of the defending is beyond appaling. You would expect an English National League side to do a better job stopping him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thierry Henry V Spurs, the one where he runs from inside in his own half. It's a good goal, but he's allowed to just run up to the edge of the Spurs box without anyone trying to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ray Houghton has dined on that goal vs Italy too much imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Paolo di Canio for West Ham.

The ball was at a perfect height to fly-kick it.

The finish was beautiful, but he didn't have to over-exert himself. Not in the same category as a Trevor Sinclair bicycle kick or Giggs in the FA Cup semi-final.

Didn't Di Canio win Goal of the Season for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Michael Owen versus Argentina in 1998. It was well taken, but more poor defending than anything else.

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Absolutely this. First goal that came to mind.

If it wasn't him, or it wasn't the manchester derby, it would have been a good goal and nothing more. The technique was nowhere near the quality of Trevor Sinclair's effort from outside the box, or even Ronaldo's recent champions league goal (athletic leap and perfect connection with the ball).

For me as a United fan, it was an amazing goal to watch and the replays still look slick years later.

That said, the bolded part of what you said bears some truth IMO.

Take this strike of Benteke's from United v Liverpool at OT in 2015.

Objectively, it's just as good a strike as Rooney's, if not better. However, it was more of a late consolation for Liverpool in the game of 'MAAAARTIALLLL!!!'.

If the context was different, we would see that goal in many more highlight reels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've been calling that Roberto Carlos freekick overrated for 21 years now. For all the adulation it got I couldn't help but feel that the skill involved was minimal compared to some of the other classic goals you could mention.

Don't give me any of that guff about technique or about how he intentionally twisted his foot like this so that the ball would curl like that etc etc, etc. Nah, he just ran up and smacked the damn thing as hard as he could. And while putting your foot through the ball is a skill, it ain't greatest goal of all time skill.

The worst part is that he was allowed to continue putting his foot through the ball for freekicks, which as I recall resulted in one more screamer and **** all else for the rest of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That Jack Wilshere (think it was him) goal against (again, I think) Norwich at the Emirates. It's held up as some sort of wondrous team goal. Yes; it was a good goal. But I'm sure I've seen other "team" goals just as good as it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That Jack Wilshere (think it was him) goal against (again, I think) Norwich at the Emirates. It's held up as some sort of wondrous team goal. Yes; it was a good goal. But I'm sure I've seen other "team" goals just as good as it.

Ah here, that goal is far from overrated. That is easily up there as one of the best team goals ever scored. One touch passing at its finest. I’m aware that I’m an Arsenal fan and can be biased, but that goal was unreal regardless of what teams were playing.

• Advertisement

Ryan Giggs, FA Cup semi final. Seaman nearly ducked out of the way.

Ricky Villa, FA Cup final. Not that mazy really, one decent turn.

• Ryan Gigs V Arsenal Overrated?? Go way outa that

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ryan Gigs V Arsenal Overrated?? Go way outa that

One neat bit where he beat a couple of players on the edge of the box. Hit the ball straight are keeper, blessed that for some reason Seaman impersonated a limbo dancer and made himself as small as possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ronaldo's free kick vs Portsmouth. Hit and hope essentially. The ball was probably a big factor too. Don't see so many of those crazy trajectory knuckle balls these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Even as a Spurs fan, I have to admit that goal was incredible.

Shame on the fella who said Carlos Alberto in 1970. That was an absolute work of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can't believe Bergkamp's goal against Newcastle is in the mix here for some people. One of the best touches I've ever seen and extremely hard to replicate.

I'd wholeheartedly agree on Rooney's bicycle kick though. Was delighted when it went in but he completely shinned it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's not even the best United bicycle kick against a rival. Berbatov's kneed touch and over-head vs Liverpool in 2010 was far better technique. Completely under-rated compared to Rooney's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zaph wrote: »
    Sitebanned! :D

Pure luck unless you're skillfull enough........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Question shamelessly stolen from FourFourTwo's Twitter...

Xabi Alonso's from the halfway line against Newcastle is one for me.

Yours?

Ah that was an incredible team goal. The way Alberto could run onto it and strike it without breaking stride was a thing of beauty aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Paolo di Canio for West Ham.

The ball was at a perfect height to fly-kick it.

The finish was beautiful, but he didn't have to over-exert himself. Not in the same category as a Trevor Sinclair bicycle kick or Giggs in the FA Cup semi-final.

Didn't Di Canio win Goal of the Season for it?
    No, just no. That was a brilliant strike, and to scissor kick it with the ball coming in from the right like that made it even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ryan Giggs, FA Cup semi final. Seaman nearly ducked out of the way.

Ricky Villa, FA Cup final. Not that mazy really, one decent turn.

I'll tell you what about that goal - I was 8 when he scored, getting into football in a big way. The FA Cup was a huge thing and as we had only 2 channels, seeing this on RTE during midweek was a big deal. I remember being absolutely blown away by that goal.
    You may be right; it may well be overrated but the 8 year old in me will always be in awe of it and I'm damned if I'm gonna watch it on YouTube to confirm that, yeah, maybe it is a tad overrated. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

sugarman wrote: »
    Van Persies diving header in the last world cup

You had people trying to argue it was better than Cahill's:

Or James Rodriguez':

No. No. It bloody well wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Define overrated? It seems to be very subjective

Like, Rooney's goal lacked proper technique from a purist point of view but he had the balls to take it on and score the winning goal in a derby match. There was nothing wrong with his technique but it seems his judgment on the height of a deflected cross in a split second is the reason that its overrated? :rolleyes:

Roberto Carlos's free kick is one thats overrated given his admission many many years later. Everyone thought it was his technique but it was wind assisted with an experimental lighter ball. Watching him take subsequent free kicks backed up the idea that he had no clue how to bend a ball consistently.

mosstin wrote: »
    I'll tell you what about that goal - I was 8 when he scored, getting into football in a big way. The FA Cup was a huge thing and as we had only 2 channels, seeing this on RTE during midweek was a big deal. I remember being absolutely blown away by that goal.
    You may be right; it may well be overrated but the 8 year old in me will always be in awe of it and I'm damned if I'm gonna watch it on YouTube to confirm that, yeah, maybe it is a tad overrated. :D

I know exactly what you mean...only difference is I made the mistake of watching it again years later!

On the other hand Hutchison's goal in the drawn game stands the test of time, it was a fantastic header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

That goal is not overrated at all - Bergkamp was just a magical player - but I think his goal against Argentina deserves more credit than that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

8-10 wrote: »
    Cantona one against Sunderland where he chips the keeper, good goal but wouldn't be remembered as much without the celebration or if it wasn't a character like him who scored it

This would be my first guess of an 'overrated' goal. It was a very good goal, but I've encountered people who think it's the 'best PL goal ever' which is rubbish. It's not even the best goal scored by a United player ever - Rooney vs City or Giggs v Arsenal are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'll probably get shot down but Ronaldos against Juve recently. The fact that he has apparantly been pracitising that for ages ruins it a bit for me. It takes out impulsive nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Maradona's second versus England in 86. Absolutely brilliant run but it's often picked as the greatest goal of all time but it's quiet clearly an own goal, the last defender that goes to tackle him knocks it in.

This never really seems to be mentioned either but to me it's an own goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

This thread descended quickly into naming the undeniably all time great goals and calling them overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I think any long range lob into the goal is overrated, no matter who did it. All footballers can clip a ball 60 yards into an empty net, nothing too impressive.

A specific goal though, John Barnes against Brazil in 1984 springs to mind. Played very much like a friendly but because it was against Brazil it's seen as this majestic moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement