Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated Goals of All Time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'll probably get shot down but Ronaldos against Juve recently. The fact that he has apparantly been pracitising that for ages ruins it a bit for me. It takes out impulsive nature of it.

Makes him more impressive for me.

Footballers get where they are on hard work not on impulse. As detestable as Ronaldo’s public persona is, nobody works harder than him by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This thread descended quickly into naming the undeniably all time great goals and calling them overrated.

Yep shït thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I know exactly what you mean...only difference is I made the mistake of watching it again years later!

On the other hand Hutchison's goal in the drawn game stands the test of time, it was a fantastic header.
    Way better than his second goal in that game.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This thread descended quickly into naming the undeniably all time great goals and calling them overrated.

Instead they should be listing all the shit goals and calling them overrated.

My pick is the time that Mousa Dembele chested the ball in from two yards to help Spurs to a 3-2 defeat at Anfield. Completely overrated that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Many of the goals picked out here just demonstrate to me the lack of appreciation for the goal scored, be it the lack of understanding of the level of difficulty involved, the lack of recognition for the level of skill/technique involved, despite all these goals scored by players who have dedicated their life to improving their skillset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Uh, there's no doubt whatsoever that he meant that.

As he said himself, if he didn't mean it, what do you think he was trying to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Literally my top 20 goals of all time have been listed here as overrated and flukey. Are ye on a wind up or just totally deluded ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

There is a real element of sucking the joy out of football in this thread :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think any long range lob into the goal is overrated, no matter who did it. All footballers can clip a ball 60 yards into an empty net, nothing too impressive.

You gain points for being in your own half, it going in off the bar or it being on the volley.

You lose points if it bounces or the keeper is nowhere in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Baggios goal v Czechs in Italia 90, he was allowed run most of the way unchallenged, think he only beat one player.

Decent goal but not as good as some make out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Maradona's second versus England in 86. Absolutely brilliant run but it's often picked as the greatest goal of all time but it's quiet clearly an own goal, the last defender that goes to tackle him knocks it in.

This never really seems to be mentioned either but to me it's an own goal

Jesus. Wept. OG me hole, the angle from behind the goal shows him putting it in.

And here.....
    https://www.balls.ie/football/mythbusters-maradonas-genius-goal-against-england-was-not-an-o-g-60858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There's nothing about Maradona's second again at England in 86 that is flukey.

1. He finishes it. It's no OG.
    2. I've heard people say no English player goes near him, and he basically runs straight. That's the genius of it. All the English players are trying to guess where's he's going to turn, rather than just engaging with what he was actually doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

kfallon wrote: »
    Jesus. Wept. OG me hole, the angle from behind the goal shows him putting it in.

And here.....
    https://www.balls.ie/football/mythbusters-maradonas-genius-goal-against-england-was-not-an-o-g-60858

Shows how miserable some people are and how much they want to appear “clever that they’d talk down that goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Beckam's goal from the half way line is definitely over-rated by far.
    When David Batty replicated it a week later from 45 yards out you know its nothing special no offense to Mr Batty :)

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    Beckam's goal from the half way line is definitely over-rated by far.
    When David Batty replicated it a week later from 45 yards out you know its nothing special no offense to Mr Batty :)

In fairness, Batty scored so many it's hard to pick just one.

You can just picture him today, sitting by his caravan in Scarborough, knotted handkerchief on his head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

always felt giggs v arsenal was overrated. Miserable pass by Vieira, I think, straight to giggs and he ran unopposed for effectively 50 yards in a straight line. One decent moment on the edge of the box to go through 2 players but seaman should have done more for me.

Think the occasion adds to the genius of a goal sometimes and this occasion and the year it was is definitely framing this higher than it was

Iang87 wrote: »
    always felt giggs v arsenal was overrated. Miserable pass by Vieira, I think, straight to giggs and he ran unopposed for effectively 50 yards in a straight line. One decent moment on the edge of the box to go through 2 players but seaman should have done more for me.

Yep. He ran very fast, but the only real skill was beating 2 players near the box. I suspect if you study other fast straight line runners like Darren "Forrest Gump" Huckerby they'd have similar efforts in their video collection, just none in a Cup semi final.
    One neat bit where he beat a couple of players on the edge of the box. Hit the ball straight are keeper, blessed that for some reason Seaman impersonated a limbo dancer and made himself as small as possible...

Advertisement