Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I headed back North a lot earlier than I should have and now I'm a low enough level, not terribly well equipped and the story is moving along faster than I'd like it to.

I've taken out a few smaller hordes without too much trouble but my next mission is to the sawmills. I could be wrong but I've heard it's the biggest horde in the game and it has me bricking it. I'm nowhere near ready for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Buy the Chicago chopper from iron mike's for a start, best against a horde imo. If you get stuck in the sawmill horde, come back here, there's a cheesy way to do it if you're getting stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Is that sawmills horde an optional side mission? I've already moved South without doing it or is it something I need to do when I return North?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Is that sawmills horde an optional side mission? I've already moved South without doing it or is it something I need to do when I return North?

Becomes a main mission when you head back north.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've put this on the back burner recently as I got stuck
    down in the cavern where you have to fight a horde

and couldn't get past it. Was at the point of hurling my pad through the TV so took some time off from it.

I was enjoying it till that point, once you head south the story gets a bit better I will say although I'm still a bit meh about the plot. Gameplay is lots of fun though and I love just going for random spins on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That's not a very big hoard tbh, it is doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Necro wrote: »
    I've put this on the back burner recently as I got stuck
    down in the cavern where you have to fight a horde

and couldn't get past it. Was at the point of hurling my pad through the TV so took some time off from it.

I was enjoying it till that point, once you head south the story gets a bit better I will say although I'm still a bit meh about the plot. Gameplay is lots of fun though and I love just going for random spins on the bike.

Get the Chicago Chopper as your primary weapon and maybe the RPD as your back up and make sure your loaded up on napalm. There's a couple of place in that cave you squeeze through that make it harder to follow. Even do a couple of runs where you know you're going to die to work out the best route to take that makes sure you're always on the run and never getting cornered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thargor wrote: »
    That's not a very big hoard tbh, it is doable.

Nah I know I was just grossly under-prepared. Need to stock up on ammo etc. and go back into it

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I headed back North a lot earlier than I should have and now I'm a low enough level, not terribly well equipped and the story is moving along faster than I'd like it to.

I've taken out a few smaller hordes without too much trouble but my next mission is to the sawmills. I could be wrong but I've heard it's the biggest horde in the game and it has me bricking it. I'm nowhere near ready for this.

Here's how I beat that horde handily enough if you want some pointers.
    You can pick off the sawmill horde easy enough. There's a part of the river at the mill that's easy to cross and I parked my bike with fully loaded ammo pouches at the top of the hill near there. I just set up some proximity bombs and some remote bombs along the path to the river before setting the horde on me. Once you go across the river and up the hill, the main part of the horde loses interest and starts to go back to the mill. It's a case of picking off the stragglers with your Chicago Chopper or RPD that still come after you and throwing napalm into the main crowd when they are retreating back or huddled together back at the mill whenever you can. Rinse and repeat and eventually you'll be done. It's a lot easier than running around the mill in a blind panic trying to shoot behind you .

Necro wrote: »
    Nah I know I was just grossly under-prepared. Need to stock up on ammo etc. and go back into it

Tbf, that hoard really appears out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting it at all.

• Advertisement

I loved that moment, took the **** out of. Huge horde just drop down a shaft. I ended up just legging it in the dark and got lucky to find the entrance. Mission completed when I got outside and cutscene started so you don't have to hill them, just escape.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I loved that moment, took the **** out of. Huge horde just drop down a shaft. I ended up just legging it in the dark and got lucky to find the entrance. Mission completed when I got outside and cutscene started so you don't have to hill them, just escape.

Actually, you come across two hordes in caves during missions iirc. One was after
    killing the reacher for the first time
    , the other was after
    taking out the anarchist camp
    . I had to fight the first horde but I managed to escape from the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Here's how I beat that horde handily enough if you want some pointers.

I used a similar strategy and found it fairly easy.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I used a similar strategy and found it fairly easy.

It's a strategy I use for most of the hordes. The only ones I really ran around like a blue-arsed fly in a panic were the first mission on and the first horde I encountered in a cave.

Oh, and the college one but that horde was super handy to outmanoeuver around the tents. It's amazing that a horde can't just bulldoze through a tent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Actually, you come across two hordes in caves during missions iirc. One was after
    killing the reacher for the first time
    , the other was after
    taking out the anarchist camp
    . I had to fight the first horde but I managed to escape from the second.

I did same. In fact
    I read afterwards that the 2nd horde can't be defeated and it's purely an escape mission from that point

The story made me do a horde. Thought I had it well planned but soon I was in the middle of them, on fire and trying to get away. It kind of reminded me of an Anthrax concert I was at when I was 16. I'd just used all my napalm and fire stuff when Capt encouragement told me I almost had 1/4 of them dead. Hadn't known what a fcuking head melt the equip wheel was until now and I realised after maybe 10 minutes they weren't going to stop chasing me.

Ended up with 2 bullets in the Chicago Shredder and spent 15 minutes picking up ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Want to echo what others have said this game really is a slow burner. I started it and some technical issues aside the first hour or so i enjoyed it without ever thinking it was amazing. But the further you get into the game the better it gets. Really love it now about 15 hours in i'd guess. I got it off a mate so basically a free shot but it really is the business. I would definitely go back for a sequel on the PS5...they need to sort out the launch though there seemed to be a LOT of bugs in it at launch this time around but at least they are addressing it with patches.

I really do wonder about games launching in that state though don't they see it just harms sales? I had heard a lot of unflattering things about it when it launched and a lot of it appears to be based on bugs. If i hadn't of been handed it i probably never would have bought it.

Really solid 8/10 for me playing on the pro, graphics are gorgeous.

Got my platinum last night. First one outside of some of the Telltale games. If I'd paid a bit more attention to the trophies while playing the game, I probably would have got it a lot quicker as there was a bit of trudging over old ground to get collectibles and the like and it took a while to get the Burnout Apocalypse trophy but glad to wrap this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Animation team on point. Wish i still had this game :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Really want to pick this up but heard from a friend am better waiting for a price drop.

I saw it being played and it looked alright, nothing mind blowing but entertaining.

I find if you're waiting for price drops you're never happy. I've been waiting 4 years for Nioh to appear on PS Plus free games and not willing to pay €14 for it?

I'd get it, very good game/ I'm pretty far in but kind of lost interest near the end as it is quite a long game and I tend to do that once I've unlocked everything. I'll certainly finish it at some point but have got my money's worth out if it.

ah yeah different people want different things, I was going to wait on this but reading the reviews on this thread convinced me to pick it up. I'm not bothered by the fact it cost me 20-30 euro more and feel it was worth it but understand if people would wait
    the Nioh thing is just a pet peeve which I try and work in at every opportunity, at least this time the conversation is game related

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's 60-70 hours of top notch entertainment. Well worth full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Game has crashed twice for me today. Just at Lost Lake and game crashes just after my conversation with Iron Mike. Error message says that data for the game is corrupted and that I need to delete and reinstall. This happen to anybody ?
    Recorded footage of error

No, if you delete and reinstall the game, your save should be in the cloud with ps+? Get a second opinion I'm not an expert.

Finished this yesterday. Last night I dreamed the village I was in was attacked by a horde but me and my brother escaped up the canal in a crude yacht I had been building. Survival skills 101.

Great game quite long.
    Didn't see any major twist at the end that I had been expecting.
    I hear they are working on the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gimli2112 wrote: »
    No, if you delete and reinstall the game, your save should be in the cloud with ps+? Get a second opinion I'm not an expert.

Finished this yesterday. Last night I dreamed the village I was in was attacked by a horde but me and my brother escaped up the canal in a crude yacht I had been building. Survival skills 101.

Great game quite long.
    Didn't see any major twist at the end that I had been expecting.
    I hear they are working on the sequel.

Did you play after the credits, there are at least 4 more cut scenes that tidy up the story/set up the sequel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Another 15 gig patch, fecking hell! they can feck off I'm not downloading it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement