Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think that might have been it. Don't think I even got as far as a horde tbh (aside from running away from one I saw coming by the railroad/broken down train/bad guy camp). I did hear that it improves as it goes, but even the amount of fuel in the bike and how quick it disappears is just unrealistic, in something that tries to be somewhat realistic (freakers aside). It was just too much meh for me to continue.

No doubt there'll be a sequel I'd say, and like most other series, it will be far better than the first, or at least improve upon in every way. It's a good idea, and I did want to like it. Maybe it has been improved, but still going to wait for the inevitable PS Plus/Now addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Finished the story. Really enjoyed it all the way. Must go back now and kill a few hordes and finish the sides from Tucker and Copeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

think it would be good if they cut down on the number of quests and side quests and diversify them,while days gone was first plat ever
    I was very burnt out by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

What difficulty do people recommend? I usually play normal but I heard this game is a bit on the easy side so I was thinking of going with hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just started playing this - got it on PS Store for €19.99 so seemed like a no brainer considering the reviews it has been getting.

Reminds me a lot like Uncharted in terms of movement and shooting.

I am really liking the element of stealth that is needed for this game - not just running around gunning down everyone you see and then bringing all manner of problems down on your area.

Also, driving through the open world and coming across those zombies randomly...even stopping to grab some berries or loot a car, you never know if one (or many) of them will come at you from behind.

The added need to keep an eye on your fuel for the motorbike is cool - always on the lookout as you are driving around. I presume there was upgrades to your tank as mine seems to run out very quickly.

Re the hordes....I haven't fought any yet and am pretty hesitant on doing so unless I absolutely have to. I don't think I'll be very good at it when the time comes anyway, my shooting isnt the best.

One thing that is confusing me is the storyline (or in this case the many storylines) - its hard to lock in on exactly what\where I should be going. Am I correct in understanding that there are multiple storylines going on which I can access through the pause menu, and I can jump in or out of any of these as I see fit?

I assume it all comes together at some stage, and then there are other missions like exterminating the nests\hordes\etc. which as I said I havent tried yet

So far though, its a solid game and am enjoying it and I haven't even tried any of the challenges yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah there are various subquests in addition to the main quest but it's fairly easy to follow. things like taking out bandit camps will give you access to better gear. saving people, selling zombie ears and camp quests can help rank up survivor camps and get better gear

there are a couple of hordes you have to fight and some you should, they can be stressful and you are right to be worried. One subquest in particular has you going into a hoarde camp to get a cassette and things can go awry very quickly

tank upgrades for the bike are available and yes you want

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Also, take out the infestations as soon as you can. There's usually 3 or 4 in an area that you have to run around and find before they show up on your map. Then a quick Molotov in their door/window and run to the next and repeat. If things get hairy, jump on your book and come back later. Clearing infestations allows fast travel through an area which comes in handy later on. As the game goes on, your bike gets better (better handling faster, better fuel consumption) and you get better through upgrades, nice progression rate to it. There should be some nice free decals for your bike as well, check with a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Don't forget you can get gas at petrol stations. Seems obvious but I spent hours running to get a petrol can to refill before I copped it. You don't even need to get off your bike.

But the story does have big pay offs, seemingly random stuff from 40 hours ago suddenly makes you say holy ****!

Enjoy it's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Genuinely my favourite game this generation. Seems to be a bit of a marmite game, but any of the niggles I found to be very minor and overridden by how much bloody fun it is to play!

The development of skills, character, bike and weapons is really well done. You'll find yourself approaching similar enemies in a completely different way at the start compared to later in the game. There is so much tension to the atmosphere, I still remember the feeling driving through the tunnels at night... as for the hordes, scary and seemingly impossible at first, but there's actually many ways of defeating them, again once you've progressed and built up weapons, traps etc all helps.

You've got me thinking of starting another play through now...
    Enjoy!

So, I played up to the end of Act 1 in Ghost of Tsushima but found it awfully boring. For some bizarre reason, I kept wishing I was playing Days Gone instead. To get it out of my system, I reinstalled this and picked up my last playthrough at Iron Mike's and absolutely loving it all over again. It also made me realise this is the kind of feeling I should be getting from GoT instead of "maybe I'll click with it soon". Sold Ghost and didn't look back.

Would be a travesty if Days Gone 2 wasn't made for PS5. Next Gen hordes would be glorious/terrifying.

• Advertisement

I had a somewhat similar but different experience. I bought Spiderman for €20 on the basis I shouldn't spend €80 on Ghosts and find I didn't like it.
    I was immediately bored by Spiderman.

So I reinstalled HZD and am loving it. Bought the DLC which I hadn't played and got up at 3 am yesterday to play it. Also finally got the All Allies trophy so will finally platinum it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A few hours into it. Enjoyable enough but hasn't really grabbed me yet. The shooting is fairly poor with serious input delay, so poor that I think I'll just try a melee build.

I do enjoy cruising around on the bike, I don't enjoy having to refuel it frequently.

There is a big "Oh shít, oh shít, oh shít!" buzz when you're being chased by 100 zombies. That's great.

Shooting gets a lot more fun and responsive when you upgrade your stats. Definitely aim to just melee when you can early game. Take out nests when you pass them to clear the road and allow fast travel through the area, always try keep Molotov's for nests.

If you get stuck for fuel, there is always a can back at the lookout hideout you start in, quick fast travel back there or plan to go there first of your mission is beyond it.

Put your early camp credits onto copeland to upgrade your bike. Once you have a bigger fuel tank, engine, handling upgrade, it becomes a lot easier to get around and more fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

A few more places to get fuel:
    - petrol stations (sounds obvious but easily missed), also the handiest as you don't have to get off the bike, just park up next to the pump and press a button
    - pick up trucks
    - the other camps

You got me remembering my no 1 ps4 game again, must start ng+ soon!

I've changed my mind on the fuel now. It adds a sense of desperation and realism to the game.

I'm so risk adverse I ran out of fuel once in 1.75 play throughs. I was drinking and much like real life you shouldn't be drinking when driving your motorbike through zombie infested tunnels.
    Fuel becomes less of of an issue later on when you have the tanks upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I thought this game looked bad when it first came out but I started playing it as it's been added to PS Now. A few hours in and I take back my initial opinions on it, this game is deadly!

Any tips for new players?

There's nothing you absolutely need to do early on. Play the game, side missions, raid bandit camps for xp and blueprints. If I look through this list of things to unlock early nothing leaps out at me. Probably Field repairs and the one to repair the bike (I crashed a lot).

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/days-gone-best-skills-guide

Getting the injections to upgrade stamina, health and focus is pretty important. I concentrated on health but they are all useful.

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I thought this game looked bad when it first came out but I started playing it as it's been added to PS Now. A few hours in and I take back my initial opinions on it, this game is deadly!

Any tips for new players?

Stick to melee build for a while as you aren't going to do much damage with guns until you level up a bit. Shooting might seem nerfed at the start but by end game, you'll be mowing down hundreds of freaks so there's a nice progression to it.

Concentrate on upgrading your bike first for bigger fuel tank, better handling and better engine. Makes a big difference getting around the map early game. Therefore, try and increase Copeland camp over the other one early game as they have a mechanic to upgrade the bike.

If you every get stuck for fuel, there is always a fuel tank at the watch tower you start in and you can fast travel there, comes in handy. You can also refill your bike at petrol stations, just drive up beside a pump and wait for prompt.

Try keep molotovs for freaker nests. Deek will mention there are nests around and some might show up on your map. Throw a Molotov and run to the next one, try clear all in one area as if you do, you'll be able to fast travel through it later. Otherwise, he'll say he can't fast travel because infected in the area.

NERO sites unlock upgrades to stamina and health. Stamina is so important when running from a horde do i recommend buffing that.

Enjoy riding the broken road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I bought Days gone early in the year for cheap. My problems are probably the same as most. The fuel thing, sluggish controls, the long cut scenes, etc.

I thought I was heading to the end of the game when a whole new part opened up and Last of Us 2 was coming out, so I traded Days gone against it.

I figured at some stage it would be on PS now and glad when it popped up today. For some reason, my previous save is gone. So thoughts of going through all that again are putting me off.

• Advertisement

started this again from scratch and blew through it, about 85% complete I reckon, had a blast. Played more aggressive than before and was fun, man there's supplies everywhere, on normal anyway.
    Just fought a horde which I hate doing but couldn't get the mp3 player from the college. As I was fighting/running from it I ran into another one, not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

One thing I remember was I had to clear out a horde, but what happened was I touched a car with my bike and the car alarm went off. Zombies were all over me before I could blink. The zombies won.

I'll play it again when I get my PS5 next year.

The mission where you're looking for drunk Boozer is one of the worst missions I've played in a game in a long, long time.

Maybe it's a commentary on how fúcking annoying it is trying to look after a drunk person.

one of the later patches increased horde awareness, so while previously all I needed was a bush, some distractors and napalm it's now become a far greater problem

have about 40% of the hoardes cleared now, they're not nearly as intimidating as I had thought
    the worse thing is having to scour the place for flagons and polysterene for the napalm
    the ones I've fought have been smaller than the three mandatory story ones

gimli2112 wrote: »
    have about 40% of the hoardes cleared now, they're not nearly as intimidating as I had thought
    the worse thing is having to scour the place for flagons and polysterene for the napalm
    the ones I've fought have been smaller than the three mandatory story ones

Someone on reddit recorded the numbers of freaks in each horde, in case to you're looking for the big ones.

Nothing beats driving along, taking a shortcut off a small drop and landing in the middle of a horde, utter panic.

Cascade Region:

Horse Lake Horde - 25
    2) O'Leary Mountain Horde - 25
    3) Little Bear Lake Horde - 30
    4) White King Mine Horde - 50
    5) Death Train Horde - 50
    6) Cascade Highway Horde - 50
    7) Proxy Falls Horde - 50
    8) Grotto Caves Horde - 75

Belknap Region:

9) Bear Creek Hot Springs Horde - 50
    10) Twin Craters Horde - 50
    11) Lava Arch Horde - 50
    12) Shadow Lake Horde - 50
    13) Marion Forks Horde - 50
    14) Belknap Crater Horde - 50
    15) Patjens Lakes Horde - 100

Lost Lake Region:

16) Westfir Horde - 75
    17) Wapinitia Road Horde - 75
    18) Berley Lake Horde - 75
    19) River Flow Farms Horde - 75
    20) Sherman's Camp Horde - 75
    21) Metolius Lava Cave Horde - 150

Crater Lake Region:

22) Rimview Ranch Horde - 150
    23) Mcleod Ridge Horde - 150
    24) Mt. Bailey Horde - 275

Highway 97 Region:

25) Solomon Hill Horde - 125
    26) Friendship Ridge Horde - 125
    27) Mt. Scott Ski Resort Horde - 125
    28) Sagebrush Point Horde - 125
    29) Beasley Lake Horde - 125
    30) Chemult Station Horde - 125
    31) Cascade Lakes Rail Line Horde - 125
    32) Chemult Community College Horde - 125
    33) Groose Gardens Horde - 125
    34) Rum Rye Gulch Horde - 125
    35) Juniper Ridge Horde - 125
    36) Beaver Marsh Rest Stop Horde - 130
    37) Lobert Draw Ridge Horde - 300

Other Hordes:

Sawmill Horde - 500+
    Iron Butte Horde - 300
    Chemult Station (Napalm Mission) Horde - 300
    Anarchist Mine Mission Horde - 300

cheers Zero I kind of knew Sawmill was the biggest
    there's nothing worse than tossing a cracker into a dark cave wondering what the fcuk is going to come out
    I hate the mine mission one, I did it easy the first time round the second time was horrible, kind of screwed up by skipping the cutscene and losing track of my bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

gimli2112 wrote: »
    one of the later patches increased horde awareness, so while previously all I needed was a bush, some distractors and napalm it's now become a far greater problem

this is good to know because before I didn't have any decent weapons it was genuinely scary running into to them but after getting the rpd lmg I think it
    is I was just mowing them down had all available hords done before I finished iron mikes section

I bought this again on us store months back but forgot my saves wouldn't carry over from Irish version. Played through again and got to the southern section of the map, loved it all over again. Looking forward to it on ps5 where i can start a ng+ on my irish save, unlock rings with challenges and finally unlock the death stranding fuel tank!

I hope it follows suit with God of War and offers increased performance/visuals on ps5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apparently there's a big Days Gone patch out, approx 25gb. Mostly performance boosts for ps5.

Advertisement