Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

* PARTIAL QUOTE *

There is stuff to be critical of, but the game got such unbalanced coverage from people that clearly didn't play it, I guess they just want to focus on the good so that others can find the gem that it is.

As you can see from this thread, there have been loads of people who didn't pick it up due to the sentiment only to play it later and love it.

Grumpypants basically encapsulated my entire reasoning for being dogged on this in my last few posts.

To say I'm arguing on this just because someone doesn't share my view on any particular game is being truly disingenuous.

Anybody who hasn't played a game and freely admits that they have a prejudice toward that type of game yet wants to repeatedly express strong opinions on it with pompous faux-authority needs to be called out on it.

Otherwise people might mistake their opinions for facts and that would be a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

There are games that people love that I have bounced off completely and found no enjoyment in them. I don't think I've ever felt the need to go into threads about those games at regular intervals over years to tell people who like those games why they're wrong and how those games are actually very mediocre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not argumentative but...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's always good to get another opinion or view even when it's always Retro doing it. I don't get the sense he's doing it to annoy people and feels he's doing god's work educating us all.
    I tend not to critic games I don't like as it does annoy people. Some people understand the greater good trumps sensitive people's feelings. Myself, I don't enjoy people telling me the things I like are bad but let's hear the misguided reasoning at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Gaming is an expensive hobby - I rarely buy a game new unless its a sequel to a game I really enjoyed or I let the hype get to me! But if I am going to spend north of €50 on a game I will look to get as much information on it as I possibly can - part of that is finding reviewers you trust, and part of that is reading peoples opinions on here. Most of the time I find if people are being critical it's rarely without cause it's one of the only places I know online where people can be critical of a game and have the discussion remain civil.

Days Gone is a good example of it. There are plenty here that want people to know how much they enjoyed the game, perhaps moreso due the average reviews. But you can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. I think if I hadnt played it and was thinking of investing my time and or/money on it I would find all opinions in this thread useful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not even discussing whether the game is bad or not. I wouldn't even say I'm over it as it was never even on my radar. It's not for me but I can see why people would enjoy it.

I just asked a genuine question about the whether game has a hump to get over or not as I saw a lot of people drop the game at the start and a few people here saying they were glad they didn't drop it as it got a lot better in the end game. I'm genuinely interested about that as you don't see that in a triple A game that has typically gone through a UCD approach and is more something you'd see in the likes of Dark Souls or over ambitious PC games.

Have to thank grumpypants who pretty much answered my question.

Seems some people saw it as an attack on the game and decided to take the argument to a personal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Ah Retro has contributed far more to the the gaming community on here than I ever have or will & I don't doubt his sincerity and overall good intentions.

It's just a difference of opinion that neither of us wanted to let go of - Let's leave it there.

Back on topic - I've no clue how many hours I've sunk into this game - Started about 7 weeks ago and played nothing but since.

I noticed during the last few days that I've seen takedown animations that I hadn't seen before, also just last night there was a whole new weather model going on with a sleety blizzard that was new to me.

Also revisiting old ground that's completely different in a new season under a blanket of snow etc. is a nice touch.

Very mild spoiler that there's a plot point that
    the Zombies are mutating so you get new varieties that freshen it up and are harder to kill.

Last night again I had another brilliant Horde takedown experience where I needed to empty every resource, bomb, mine, grenade, clip from every weapon, use up each and every one of my crafted boosts etc etc.

Running, ducking, crawling, climbing, praying and pure panicked desperation got me through after an age.

The settings for the Horde takedowns are great also, they've basically set up the buildings and terrain so you've a maze of options to lead the Horde into trouble, baiting them as you flee, enticing them into tight channels between buildings, walking them into bottleneck traps so you can turn and napalm them by the dozen.

Couldn't have been more edge of seat play and is a pinnacle of gaming for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Giving this a replay on my new PS5. Loving it again. Bloody hell that first Breaker is tough work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With this now on PS Plus on PS4, even more people get to play it and the buzz from it has me installing it again as I never did get to complete the challenges or get the Death Stranding BB bike. I forgot my saves are a bit ****ed though. I have 3 save files in the cloud. 1 from my original play in 2019 (greayed out controller symbol, 1 from my US account when I bought the game again on US sale (greyed out controller symbol) and 1 save file that is just the very first mission (game icon symbol) and this is the only one that seems to work.

Tried deleting it from my console and downloading the other 2 one at a time but the game doesn't recognise them.

Edit: Bollox, I had a save from November where I had reached the 2nd half of the game, southern part of the map, don't think I can go through the first half so soon again. Guess I'll give the challenges a go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm glad I didn't buy this on the several occasions I've been hovering over the "Buy Now" button :D I hate turning on my PS4, it's so f*£king slow and having to use a controller is so frustrating for me. Ghost of Tsushima was the last thing that was good enough to make me overlook these problems. I'm hoping Days Gone will do the same - I enjoy this sort of thing and the hordes look fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero, how does it look on the PS5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

The Saw mill horde took me nearly over 2 hours to finish. I basically started luring one or two away at a time killing them with a knife, repeating process.

It was a glorious way to drink a few glasses of Jack Daniels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Jordan 199 wrote: »

60fps means it is super smooth now too.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-days-gone-ps5-the-60fps-difference

Looks absolutely lovely and smooth as butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

60fps means it is super smooth now too.

Seeing that vid makes me want to start playing it again. #goodmemories

Uninstalled the PS Plus version, downloaded the version from my US account and one of my other saves works now, back in the 2nd half, just a grand away from the BB gas tank which looks unreal. Loving flying around on the bike again, looking forward to becoming a horde killer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seeing that vid makes me want to start playing it again. #goodmemories

Me too. I think enough time has passed to make it worth another go.

It is mad that I have loads of new games I've not even started, and I want to go back to one I've already cleared :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It is mad that I have loads of new games I've not even started, and I want to go back to one I've already cleared :)

Not even slightly - it's something that's become more visible with the endless lockdowns - people who are subjected to prolonged trauma want to retreat to the things they find familiar and comforting to help themselves feel better. Whilst I have no idea how your personal lockdown experience has been, I think we can generally agree that the last 12-13 months have been pretty tough for the entire globe. So go and enjoy your older games and be thankful that your brain's working on your side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Finished this game about a month ago and I still think about it every day and drop in and do abit every now and again . Iv never platinumed a game before but Iv thought about doing it for this !

there's one where you have to do a perfect 360 on the bike that is so annoying I gave up on the plat and will never attempt it again out of spite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's one where you have to do a perfect 360 on the bike that is so annoying I gave up on the plat and will never attempt it again out of spite

All you had to do was change to the worst tires you can get for the bike and it takes ten seconds to do it.

I'm near end game and reminded of how i felt when first playing.

I think the relationship is just so weird
    between Deek and Sarah. I get some time has past with both thinking the other dead but they are married, why are they acting so awkward with each other. I get in front of other soldiers but when they're on their own, you definitely don't get a 'we were happily married once' vibe. It's like as of Deek did something horrible and she moved on while he's trying to make up for it but i don't feel that's what happened.

I get she's had to act a certain way to survive and working very hard on a cure but the nothingness she feels for Deek is just offputting.

#TeamRikki

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm near end game and reminded of how i felt when first playing.

I think the relationship is just so weird
    between Deek and Sarah. I get some time has past with both thinking the other dead but they are married, why are they acting so awkward with each other. I get in front of other soldiers but when they're on their own, you definitely don't get a 'we were happily married once' vibe. It's like as of Deek did something horrible and she moved on while he's trying to make up for it but i don't feel that's what happened.

I get she's had to act a certain way to survive and working very hard on a cure but the nothingness she feels for Deek is just offputting.

#TeamRikki

Thought the exact same about how jarring it was to be honest. You would be delighted seeing this person after all these years.

With the report today that days gone 2 was pitched to sony in 2019 and it was rejected has put a serious Downey on things as i was certain a sequel announcement would be made this summer. Bend studios instead were put to work on an Uncharted game for naughty dog. Worried they would be consumed by naughty dog, asked to be taken off the project and work on a new IP which was granted. At least Bend are doing their own thing now but looks like it won't be days gone 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Some joke no sequel. And remaking TLOU 1 wtf they at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd say we'll still get a sequel at some point.

The game only came out in 2019 so this sequel rejection could have been nearer launch and the game sold well in the end. Not to mention they've now given it away to every PS5 user and plus member, so could a much larger audience for a sequel.

Lot of people only come into a project at certain stages so if Bends are only starting their own thing now then there'd have been people idle so no harm with working with ND.

It's ND I'd be worried about, a remake of 1 incorporating assets from 2 isn't going to keep them busy for long. Seems like more of a stop gap measure.

Did the horde mission earliest for weaver. I've played through this a few times now and got the horde killer trophy but i will never not get used to turning a corner and seeing a hundred freaks running straight away. Complete **** your pants gaming that few games manage to capture.

I'm near the end but the missions are definitely starting to drag on. Think I'll just try the challenges for a while.

the dumbest mission in the game is when you have to find the drunk Boozer (I've just realised his name is Boozer, sigh) but when you find him and are attacked in the ravine, that scares the crap out of me every single time, it's really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Finally got the plat on this the other day. The Go Kick Rocks trophy was eluding me.

Never got a platinum on any game before so very pleased with myself with this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

brady12 wrote: »
    Some joke no sequel. And remaking TLOU 1 wtf they at

Sick of these bloody remakes.

Advertisement