Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've only ever ran out of fuel once, and that was near the very start of the game when i reloaded a save and forgot to refuel in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I never reall ran out of fuel bar maybe when I was getting used to it. I rarely use fast travel in games either although for Fenyx I did a bit.

Don't see much wrong with the game design either. Really enjoyed it and will play through again in the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I ran out of fuel once in the middle of nowhere and bitched and moaned all the way to the nearest gas station. I did fast travel a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Never fast travelled on the game and played through fully twice. The journeys are amazing, breathtaking scenery, riding on the bike, but most of all the many random encounters from various zombies to bears and human enemies, and how they randomly interact with each other too. To skip these would just lose the immersion for me.

The fuel thing is really easy to manage after initial hour or two, with semi decent tank upgrade, there's numerous petrol stations clearly marked on the map, also all Nero checkpoints have fuel tanks around, as do any of the pickup trucks scattered around, and at every camp you can top up too

I played this game daily for months and loved every minute of it - As above I chose not to fast travel to stay in that World and not lose the 'realism' of the whole experience - The mechanics of driving that bike were so excellently executed that it was a load of fun right up until the very end of the game. Revving up the engine and launching off crests of hills and ledges is so satisfying.

There are fuel tanks scattered everywhere on the map and there's a pattern to where fuel can be found so you can easily pick out locations where you can top up without any hassle and as mentioned above fuel tank upgrades are easily achieved.

Totally contrary to the usual mentions about running out of fuel being a hassle, my memory of it is that it was something that needed to be accounted for and managed and on a couple of occasions I ran out of fuel while being chased by a ruthless Horde of Zombies that were intent on ripping my intestines out - And it led to an epic scramble for survival as I both battled and fled. Afterwards I blamed myself for letting the tank run so low - I never thought to blame some Software Engineer on another Continent for my poor planning and lack of foresight (?)

Honestly there's some people who could benefit from looking at their approach and tactics rather than slamming the game for their own half-arsed style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I rarely used fast travel either. To be honest you miss so much of what made the game great by fast travelling that I'd use it sparingly.

Kinda like when the missus is on her phone for the first 30mins of a movie then complains that the film makes no sense :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A game I just kept thinking of long after I finished it.

Just gonna leave this here:

I never run out of fuel because I'm constantly conscious of filling it up. That's why it's so annoying.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything - IMO you effectively chose that situation for yourself. Poor choice.

Or better yet maybe some people could stop deliberately picking and choosing what they want to hear, being deliberately obtuse and gaslighting people into believing Days Gone is perfect with no problems.

The term 'gaslighting' is synonymous with scenarios of vindictive, orchestrated emotional abuse - Would you ever simmer down and get a grip.

I never thought Days Gone was perfect - I've always thought that it punched far enough above its weight and was I more than willing to overlook its few very minor flaws.

I'd be the same with any game - I'm not sure why people strive to seek out the negatives and magnify them - Do they not ruin everything for themselves? That's no way to go about your life.....

1. At this point your hysterics are in grim and dogged competition with your hyperbole.
    2. Please stop partially quoting me to flatter your nonsense generated as a by-product of the above.

You mentioned that I've defended this game before - At the time the consensus seemed to be that not many people see the need to go on a thread to bash a game for no good reason.

There must not be much out there in this vast World taking up your spare attentions if this is how you choose to spend your time.

I see a difference between somebody defending something worth speaking up for and someone else attacking it on some odd agenda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mango Joe wrote: »
    1. At this point your hysterics are in grim and dogged competition with your hyperbole.
    2. Please stop partially quoting me to flatter your nonsense generated as a by-product of the above.

You mentioned that I've defended this game before - At the time the consensus seemed to be that not many people see the need to go on a thread to bash a game for no good reason.

There must not be much out there in this vast World taking up your spare attentions if this is how you choose to spend your time.

I see a difference between somebody defending something worth speaking up for and someone else attacking it on some odd agenda.

Have a read of what you just posted. A good read. I'm sorry but you are in the wrong here.

The Phantom Pain laid out his issues with the game in a fair and informative way, you're the one getting worked.
    At the time the consensus seemed to be that not many people see the need to go on a thread to bash a game for no good reason.

This here is just plain nonsense. The Phantom Pain never did this.

You just have to accept the fact that people have different opinions and expressing those differing opinions is encouraged here as it leads to a much richer discussion.

I'd have a different opinion in the phantom pain was trolling but he quite clearly isn't. Try and engage in a constructive manner please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Currently playing through it and it's ok. Decided to check out how far I actually am to the end game, turns out I'm about half way through.

There has been no significant change to any enemy encounter, getting to the end is gonna be some slog but I kinda like the story. Hate the way Deacon talks to himself, like there is no need for that intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to trying this, even with the lackluster pc reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC reviews seem to echo the besster multiplat review sites for the PS4 release which imo where on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The first 20 or so PC Metacritic reviews are in. All 80s & 90s. Bar PC Gamer who despite loving the bike management mechanic didn't like the story and gave it a 63.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/days-gone

None of the 90-80 ones I'd consider trustworthy though other than eurogamer.it.

Think PC Gamer is a little harsh all the same especially after reading the review.

Looks like a very solid pc conversion according to df. Much better than horizon.

PC Gamer bemoans it's overly serious tone, what kind of tone do they expect in the Zombie Apocalypse aftermath?
    These kind of comments make me dismiss them straight away. The tone is not something I think about while running from a zombie horde.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    PC Gamer bemoans it's overly serious tone, what kind of tone do they expect in the Zombie Apocalypse aftermath?
    These kind of comments make me dismiss them straight away. The tone is not something I think about while running from a zombie horde.

You need tonal shifts to stop stuff being boring its why you see comedy in serious dramas and horror. It's exhausting otherwise. And days gone doesn't seem to realise how silly it is and embrace it.

Where was the humour in the Exorcist? It's the article itself that's taking itself too seriously imo. Each to their own, I'm a simple guy and just see what's in front of me. Personally I didn't notice any tone, blissful ignorance.

Just as you mention tonal shifts however I do remember several comedies trying to introduce tragedy to dismal effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Anyone play this with a mouse?would like to try it on pc but wanted to get opinions first

I was actually thinking this yesterday and have no idea how 3rd person games play with a kb+m. I just assumed people would plug in a controller if they had the option.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was actually thinking this yesterday and have no idea how 3rd person games play with a kb+m. I just assumed people would plug in a controller if they had the option.

It's the same as a FPS game. WASD and mouse. Works great in games that are properly configured for it.

The analyst on DF for the game said the mouse works well in this and he would definitely bring it up if it was bad as he hates bad mouse controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I don't remember the game being overly serious - definitely not in the way TLOU2 was. I thought there was enough interplay between Deacon and the other characters that lightened the mood at times. There was only one minor plotline
    the one with Lisa
    and the incident
    where he kills
    the woman with the broken legs
    that felt a bit bleak but they stood out against the other parts that felt that a lot more gung ho. I'd put the game more as an action game with zombies in the mix rather than a horror game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks like a very solid pc conversion according to df. Much better than horizon.

I found horizon to be fine ran buttery smooth for me, other than the occasional frame drop during busy times no issues what so ever, don't think it crashed once. Ran it it the highest settings pretty much too I'd say average frame rate over 100.

So if this is better that's great

I found horizon to be fine ran buttery smooth for me, other than the occasional frame drop during busy times no issues what so ever, don't think it crashed once. Ran it it the highest settings pretty much too I'd say average frame rate over 100.

So if this is better that's great

I think Horizon has been fixed mostly. It had issues at launch.

Advertisement