Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think Horizon has been fixed mostly. It had issues at launch.

Ah ok well I only played it late last year early this year, but I found it and death stranding to be grand over all very few issues. So when this comes down in price and I get through the rest of my backlog I'll give this a bash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah ok well I only played it late last year early this year, but I found it and death stranding to be grand over all very few issues. So when this comes down in price and I get through the rest of my backlog I'll give this a bash.

Death Stranding was an insanely good PC port. It's why it was so baffling Kojima Studios got it so right with Decima when Guerilla who made the Decima engine had so many issues.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah Horizon is a pretty solid port now, got quite a few patches. A few minor bugs remain. Performance wise it doesn't run as good as Death Stranding but in fairness to Horizon it was running on an older version of the engine and is a lot more visually demanding.

As for Days Gone, might be something I'm interested in playing down the road but its not a game I'd be willing to pay full price for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was actually thinking this yesterday and have no idea how 3rd person games play with a kb+m. I just assumed people would plug in a controller if they had the option.

Any game that requires aiming is instant M&KB for me on PC, played some of it lastnight plays very well with M&KB.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll give both sides some leeway here. Yeah it is clear when a reviewer didn't play it. But at the same time having to clear a 70 hour game in a week or two ruins the experience.

I said it before it came out playing because you are enjoying it over being a job changes it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I'll give both sides some leeway here. Yeah it is clear when a reviewer didn't play it. But at the same time having to clear a 70 hour game in a week or two ruins the experience.

I said it before it came out playing because you are enjoying it over being a job changes it completely.

Yeah I watch a lot of Yahtzee Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation) podcasts and he often talks about how he avoids reviewing certain games because playing them to a deadline ruins the experience, and how playing a game for review is a completely different experience to playing it for enjoyment.

That's why there is often such a discrepancy between reviewer consensus when a game first comes out and a bunch of reviewers are rushing to complete it in a few days, and community consensus when everyone's been playing it as it's meant to be played.

Not that Days Gone is necessarily one of those cases though, but I can understand the perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've done reviewing and reviewing to a deadline can colour your perspective of a game negatively alright.

However you don't get this when it's a good game. It's usually when the game isn't so good and the negative points get exasperated as they annoy you even more and it's fair to say Days Gone has plenty of annoyances and niggles. Honestly reading the more negative reviews (which still gave good scores, not every game can be 90+) that they are spot on in their criticism. I mean when Mike Williams is giving a Ubisoft style open world game a 3.5/5 there's something up, he usually loves these types of games and rates them higher than the average.

You are allowed to enjoy games that aren't perfect. Nier fan here so I know all about that. But if you are a reviewer, you aren't doing your job glossing over issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I enjoyed Days Gone on the PS5, while there are some issues i've highlighted here already (the radial wheel for weapons) overall i finished the majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Gonna have to give this a look now. Been in the 'to play' now for a while.

So you're looking at a 70plus hour game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

About 35-40 hours to complete. Maybe another 4-5 to platinum it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yeah about that, main story does drag on and theres a fair few side quests and "clear x out of y" quests to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Vicxas wrote: »
    Yeah about that, main story does drag on and theres a fair few side quests and "clear x out of y" quests to do

It's long but it's definitely not a 70 hour plus game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's long but it's definitely not a 70 hour plus game.

Was 70+ for me, didn't rush but also didn't idle either. I don't do achievement hunting but I did just about every activity, horde and mission in the game.

I'm looking forward to playing this again on the PC but with the Metro Exodus Enhanced, Mass Effect Legendary and now this releases so close together my replay urge is waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

About 35-40 hours to complete. Maybe another 4-5 to platinum it.

Yep, I platinumed it in around 40 hours. It felt like 70 though. I then booted up New Game plus and critical pathed it for awhile, skipping cutscenes and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

The game needed an editor, I read it has 6 hours of cutscenes, it's definitely not needed to tell the same story.

So I spun it up just to see what the port is like, just about 30 mins before heading back to ME, and they did a pretty damn good job imho. Super-UW support out of the box, decent graphic and audio options and some surprisingly in-depth M+KBD control options. It's also running buttery smooth, though it is still previous-gen visually, I'm getting between 90-120 fps at 5120x1440 with everything maxed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im only about 4 hours in but to my surprise im really enjoying it.
    The combat and difficulty is where the game shines imo.
    I feared it would be too arcadey type of game but thankfully its not and they really nailed it here.
    Playing on normal difficulty its dangerous but very doable it just feels right for a first playthrough, already looking forward to new game + .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Awful. I don't know why it's so sensitive and fiddly. It was selecting the wrong item for me all the item.

Started playing it about 2 weeks ago (downloaded it through PS Plus) and the radial wheel is definitely a trying experience...I thought it was just me!!

Overall enjoying it though. Only get to play sporadically for an hour or two at a time, so am ignoring a lot of the side missions or 'busy work' at the moment to get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Runs quite well on PC in 4k

Does it rain all the bleedin time tho? Reminds me of Ireland

How do you kill the horde or am I not supposed to yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dreamers75 wrote: »

How far into the game are you? Your first mission to fight a horde is tough enough without trying to take them out even earlier. You become a horde killer by end game, that's when i started hunting them. Just keep increasing your stamina with nero boosts and you'll need plenty of skill upgrades in the shooting section. You could probably do okay against the smaller hordes of 50 freakers but you could also come across a 500 freaker horde.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The hardest hoardes a probably the mandatory ones.
    The first one in a town because you're so under-levelled, one trapped in a cave can be tricky, the sawmill one and one late on , the latter two simply because the hoardes are SO FECKING BIGS

One you are levelled up with all the good gear they become a walk in the park but pretty intimidating early on.

Have found 1 in in the starting area beside a lake, its a NERO base on the way to the 2nd area. I tried to kite them to the boxes marked EXPLOSIVE which didnt explode, I died a lot with them. I tried pipe bombing them nothing seems to work and they overpower me. There is also a gas truck which imo would be ideal if I could push towards them.

The 2nd one is the cave and I noped the fcuk out of there.

Some sort of minigun would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

tbh it's much much easier once you get access to the guns and equipment later in the game. I'd hold off challenging hoardes until you get a decent LMG and SMG, rank them up and have access to napalm bombs and distraction bombs

https://www.pcgamesn.com/days-gone/mod-hordes
    Modder Aigmir has posted a new Days Gone mod that dials up the size of the open-world game’s zombie hordes to make them truly enormous. Hordes are a big hazard in Days Gone, which are made up of anywhere between 50 and 500 swarmers, and 40 of them roam about in-game waiting to pounce on poor old Deacon. This new mod, however, changes that range to 280-600, with boss hordes being a tad bigge

This was a bad idea but its ****ing hilarious :D:D:D

dreamers75 wrote: »

It's worth noting in addition to what was already said that there are some hordes that you cannot completely kill until the explicit mission to do so pops up. The results can be pretty strange, at least they were on my PS4 playthrough, where I did one of them twice too early and they would re-activate on my next drive by but when the mission did activate to kill them they were gone (and thankfully I did get credit for it). Also if you're following a guide for dedicated horde killing there are some in the second major map area that don't appear until a certain amount of main mission progression.

Its ehh quite long played 21 hours and have 3 camps open, cant get to level 3 with any of them and I do every mission they ask :confused:

Just turned on power in 3rd camp.

Main character is a bit of a dick.

Advertisement