Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've finished this several times and the first playthrough I really struggled. Several times I thought it was over and it just kept going and tbh I was struggling to get to the end. Funnily I didn't have this issue with any of the subsequent runs and just bombed through it but it is certainly a valid criticism.

I've heard plenty of criticism for Deacon which I never really empathised with. Living after the Zombie apocalypse I'm certain will be challenging and normal rules of society will be difficult to follow but I think on the whole he's a pretty decent individual. Definitely get the vibe he's trying to do the right thing unlike say Joel who is a much darker character. I prefer Joel who I think is a much more realistically drawn character, if my assumptions as to how society will evolve after it crumbles are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wonder how much of that 21 hours is cut scenes, there a lot of cutscenes.

Still yet to fightbeat a horde, turned off that horde mod until I do.

Good game and other than a few CTD runs well on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm about 20 hours into this and really enjoying it. Its not a perfect game but it's enjoyable and challenging. I got stuck in the middle of the mountains with no petrol in the middle of the night with a load of swarmers around and no decent ammo, I must of died 20 times before I made it back to Copelands camp and got the bike brought there to me :pac:

It's not without its faults, like others have said there's a lot of unnessary cut scenes, way too many calls with Boozer and some of the stories are a little weird (seems characters would rather risk getting ripped apart by freakers than do a little work in Tuckers camp :pac: )

you can skip most of the cutscenes but there's some painful ones you can't. I remember one picking flowers with yer wan.

I'm terrible for skipping cutscenes. I do it all the time. Unskippable ones are almost a deal-breaker for me. I genuinely think the first game I watched all of them was TLOU. First and last time.

Klonker wrote: »
    I'm about 20 hours into this and really enjoying it. Its not a perfect game but it's enjoyable and challenging. I got stuck in the middle of the mountains with no petrol in the middle of the night with a load of swarmers around and no decent ammo, I must of died 20 times before I made it back to Copelands camp and got the bike brought there to me :pac:

It's not without its faults, like others have said there's a lot of unnessary cut scenes, way too many calls with Boozer and some of the stories are a little weird (seems characters would rather risk getting ripped apart by freakers than do a little work in Tuckers camp :pac: )

Pro Tip gas respawns in the exact same spots, there is always gas on main roads usually in the back of tow trucks but I have yet to have to walk far to get some.

Minor bug on PC is you can sometimes have a call with Boozer, Radio Free Oregan, The other "dude" and the 2 or 3 camps at the same bleedin time!!!!!

Its like they all kick at the same time happened more than once now and kinda annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pro Tip gas respawns in the exact same spots, there is always gas on main roads usually in the back of tow trucks but I have yet to have to walk far to get some.

Minor bug on PC is you can sometimes have a call with Boozer, Radio Free Oregan, The other "dude" and the 2 or 3 camps at the same bleedin time!!!!!

Its like they all kick at the same time happened more than once now and kinda annoying.

I was literally in the middle of the mountains, very little vehicles or even roads around. I'm playing on 'hard', I'm not sure if that means there's less fuel in the game but apart from towns or Nero centres there's not much fuel around.

Had that radio thing happen too, Boozer and Copeland were going at the same time. I think the Copeland radio thing is supposed to be funny, something like the stations on GTA but I never really pay attention to what he's saying!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I regularly abandon my bike and just do it by foot , makes it a much better experience imho.

Dcully wrote: »
    I regularly abandon my bike and just do it by foot , makes it a much better experience imho.

Sometimes do that but then next objective 2.2km and fcuk that tbh.

Now that I have unlocked the big dude certainly fcuk that but we have an agreement he stays in his quarter of the map and I stay very far away!!!!

Sometimes do that but then next objective 2.2km and fcuk that tbh.

Now that I have unlocked the big dude certainly fcuk that but we have an agreement he stays in his quarter of the map and I stay very far away!!!!

I hear ya but that 2.2k treck offers up random gameplay i enjoy more than just move to mission rinse repeat.

Dcully wrote: »
    I hear ya but that 2.2k treck offers up random gameplay i enjoy more than just move to mission rinse repeat.

Is it not just a bit boring then? you are going by places you will revisit in a mission almost every place is used in some way from bounties to story missions.

Its not like State of Decay/7tdt etc where you are rewarded for exploring.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AmirPelavin01

Loved the gameee, It is available on pc now which is great, I think it was released a few weeks back. We can now play it on high resolution lol

Is it not just a bit boring then? you are going by places you will revisit in a mission almost every place is used in some way from bounties to story missions.

Its not like State of Decay/7tdt etc where you are rewarded for exploring.

A bit boring after a while when the story has progressed a bit and you have done most of the current area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

saw that video the other day, found it more trolly than their usual efforts, quite disappointed as I usually like what they put out. I'd give it a 6 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What's problematic about the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They're my favourite YouTube channel but couldn't watch that all the way through. What have they done to my boy! Not sure if it was my bias towards Days gone, it just wasn't their usual high entertainment standards or a mixture of both.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    They're my favourite YouTube channel but couldn't watch that all the way through. What have they done to my boy! Not sure if it was my bias towards Days gone, it just wasn't their usual high entertainment standards or a mixture of both.

yeah I was the exact same, the humour didn't hit home for me and I stopped watching it early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I played the game from launch and I didn't have as many bugs as they seemed to have there. Is it bad on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just in regards to girlfriend reviews, they have a few behind the scenes videos explaining their process and how they started. She would watch him play and make funny commentary so they decided to record it which became a hit with a lot of people. Then Shelby, the girlfriend, got interested in games as she watched and she started gaming. They share a twitch channel and both stream their different games. As for their 'reviews', Matt, the boyfriend, has a degree in writing or something and scripts the episodes while Shelby has a background in theatre and drama so she excels in the commentary.

I usually hate YouTubers as ours very easy to spot the over the top fake stuff but these 2 genuinely seem like they are just sharing what they love and other people seem to love as well. I get what you're saying and maybe it's just easier for me to see the positive side of it. Except for that Days Gone video.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't want to go OT but assuming you're asking in good faith, it reinforces the lie that only men play video games (hence titles 'should your boyfriend play?') and women do not, that we observe our boyfriends at best. It's like she worked out that the only way she can be accepted in the gaming space by pandering to the type of gamer who under normal circumstances would dismiss her. I'm also entirely convinced that the videos are her boyfriend's thoughts and she's just a charismatic script reader OR that she does actually play all of the games and is pretending she just watched. I have nothing to back that up with btw, I just can't fathom how a woman this witty, charismatic and intelligent could put themselves in such a degrading Internet role. That, and you really couldn't get such detailed insight that the videos have without actually playing the game...

I think from watching their videos, she didn't play games at the start (or was at most a very casual player), but is now an avid gamer herself. They seem to regularly stream together now, either multiplayer, or him playing singleplayer but them both on the stream. From that, it seems pretty clear their personalities are as per their videos.

I'm not a huge fan, some of the humour is great but some of it can actually really grate on me (especially when she starts "Oh peepeepoopoo" babytalk sh*te). But I've watched a fair chunk of their videos at this stage and see nothing wrong or problematic with them. Her role isn't in any way degrading, because even if she didn't play games, there's nothing wrong with that, and their videos are based on her not being the one who plays the game but rather commenting on the game from her perspective as someone watching someone playing the game. It doesn't reinforce the lie that women don't play games, it's just she didn't play the game.

I think the general points you've made are fair, but I think you're also reading way too much into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's the fact that, "should your boyfriend play?" not "should your partner play?" that unfortunately tips the hand and exposes the channel's true colours. The target audience for the channel is men which is fine but I've read some of the comments from fans of the channel and it's clear it's doing more damage than good to women in gaming spaces and just reinforcing harmful stereotypes. I'm not taking anything away from people who enjoy the content but this entire gimmick is a major turn off for me. It is degrading and gross and it's simply not my cuppa tea. There are other talented women in gaming who I listen to who don't need to hide behind their boyfriends to be accepted.

I think its a brilliant youtube channel and fair play to her for coming up with a unique and funny angle I had never seen before. Saying its degrading and gross is a riddiculous overreaction imo, using the word boyfriend is likely to get more attention which is required for youtube success. Its not her fault that some men are gobsh*tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

My wife loves the humour and used it as a conduit to get into gaming much to my annoyance after a decade of asking her to play.

I actually think the word boyfriend is used because you know it's a person talking bout their boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If you wanna get all in your feelings because I don't like this fake-ass channel then so be it. It's degrading and I don't like it. I'm not changing my opinion on that. The BIB actually proves my point btw.

Grand if you dont like the channel, thats your opinion and i respect your right to express it. I just dont get why you think its degrading when she never says women dont play games themselves.

So yeah Days Gone tis a good game isnt it.

Advertisement