Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delhi or Hanoi

• 11-05-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking for Bordies advise please ?

I'm tossing between two places I want to go in July Hanoi Vietnam or Delhi in India ? Would any body that been to both be able to give me some pros and cons ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Never been to Delhi.

But Hanoi is one of my favorite cities.

Great nightlife, great food and cheap accommodation.

Loads to do close to Hanoi also. Sapa and Halong Bay can be done as day trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Not been to Delhi but have visited Mumbai. Energetic and exciting, but hot and dirty. Delhi has a reputation for street crime, I believe.
    I have been to Hanoi and loved it: great city; colourful, lively, cheap, and interesting.
    I'd vote for Vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Not been to Delhi but have visited Mumbai. Energetic and exciting, but hot and dirty. Delhi has a reputation for street crime, I believe.
    I have been to Hanoi and loved it: great city; colourful, lively, cheap, and interesting.
    I'd vote for Vietnam.

Thanks all OK so you have sold Hanoi to me !!

Haven't been to India, but Hanoi is one of my favourite places I have ever been.
    It's a great city, lots to do & see & plenty of trips to take out of it.
    My brother was in Delhi & he said it was dirty & he didn't like it, he advised me not to go, but I think you should always experience things for yourself!
    Cannot recommend Hanoi highly enough however!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It depends what you are looking for, India and Delhi might be the most challenging major travel destination there is, Hanoi is a well travelled straightforward backpacker route destination. Tourist activitys and nightlife are light years ahead in Vietnam, I also think their food is much better but I guess that is more debatable. Hanoi can also be done on a budget with relative comfort, in Delhi you pay western prices for western comforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Having been to both I would say Hanoi wins hands down.

Delhi is an experience alright but, Hanoi, and Vietnam in general is a much better place to go than Delhi.

More freedom to go around, can stay in cheaper accommodation and it will still be decent as opposed to Delhi which is very behind.

Also depending on how long you go to Hanoi you could fly to Da Nang and then go to Hoi An for a few days, no trip to Vietnam is complete without seeing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Def Hanoi, it’s a great city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Never been to india but go see Vietnam before it turns into Thailand.

The drive from Danang to Hoi An was drepressing this year. The entire 20km was nearly a building site of them building beach resorts

Hanoi was an amazing city much preferred it to HoChiMinh City

Hue and Halong Bay were really nice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

To be honest there is feck all to see in Delhi, you could take day trips to Agra or other places, but the city itself has little in the way a sights and would only take a day to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Thanks to all on this..

• Advertisement

take 2 to 3 weeks and do Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh....

Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa (optional by o/night train), by o/night train to Hue, bus to Hon An (highlight imo), fly to Ho Chi Minh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

glasso wrote: »
    take 2 to 3 weeks and do Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh....

Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa (optional by o/night train), by o/night train to Hue, bus to Hon An (highlight imo), fly to Ho Chi Minh.

We did all most this route, loved Hanoi, HaLong bay and Sapa. Hue is somewhere I wouldn’t recommend, not a lot to see, add extra time to Hoi An....amazing place with fantastic beaches. HCMC is ok but not as interesting as Hanoi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I also vote for Hanoi! Mainly due to it's proximity to HaLong bay and Sapa - both amazing places.

Although I've never been to India, so take my advice with a pinch of salt :)

woodchuck wrote: »
    I also vote for Hanoi! Mainly due to it's proximity to HaLong bay and Sapa - both amazing places.

Although I've never been to India, so take my advice with a pinch of salt :)

India is a whole different kettle of fish. first of all you'd need a long time there to even scratch the surface. Delhi is a hassle-fest.

Vietnam is far more enjoyable all around.

solerina wrote: »
    We did all most this route, loved Hanoi, HaLong bay and Sapa. Hue is somewhere I wouldn’t recommend, not a lot to see, add extra time to Hoi An....amazing place with fantastic beaches. HCMC is ok but not as interesting as Hanoi.

I'd give Hue a day - arrive off the overnight train in the morning and check out the Imperial city and maybe a river cruise. Head on the next day. It's on the way to Hoi An. The overnight train is an experience to do at least once and is actually fine to sleep on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've been to both in the last couple of years, Delhi is a total kip IMHO.

Hanoi > Delhi everyday of the week.

Hanoi is an amazing city with really nice people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

If you are Female I would not advise India, it is a misogynistic nightmare and very dangerous, there have been numerous Irish victimes and countless other Western female tourists repeatedly raped and murdered in India, rape and sexual harassment is rife there especially toward white women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

I've been to India several times, including one night spent in a 'hotel' in one of Mumbai's slums, complete with people living/sleeping on the streets outside the door.

Yes, there is definitely an energy density about the place which I have never experienced elsewhere, which in itself is something worth experiencing, but that said I always lie back in my seat and smile to myself as soon as I board the plane to bring me home again.

Advertisement