Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pump coming on alot

• 11-05-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

We have a water pump in the attic that comes on every few minutes. Probably every 2 mins on average but at times when it goes mad it can be every 45 seconds. It'll come on for about 5-10 seconds max. No taps will be on etc.

I've attached pics of the pump and the configuration in the house. The pressure reading pic I've attached we've been told should stay up at around the 2 mark but every 2/3 weeks we have to open the tap connected to it as the pressure seemingly drops to 0 by itself slowly.

Any ideas of what could be causing this or how to diagnose and fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

MuddyDog wrote: »
    We have a water pump in the attic that comes on every few minutes. Probably every 2 mins on average but at times when it goes mad it can be every 45 seconds. It'll come on for about 5-10 seconds max. No taps will be on etc.

I've attached pics of the pump and the configuration in the house. The pressure reading pic I've attached we've been told should stay up at around the 2 mark but every 2/3 weeks we have to open the tap connected to it as the pressure seemingly drops to 0 by itself slowly.

Any ideas of what could be causing this or how to diagnose and fix?

Pic of the actual pump:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shane b

I have the same pump in my house. It's a grundfos mq3 and there is 3.5 and a 4.5 bar model. Last year mine was taking about 30 seconds after you opened a tap before it would start pumping. Turns out it was a faulty card. So Can't help you diagnose the issue but If your around Dublin there is a guy in balbriggan that fixes them, he has an ad on adverts.ie or try Grundfos in Ballymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭whizbang

You need to go back to the original installer with that setup. Leaks in that system can be disastrous.

whizbang wrote: »
    You need to go back to the original installer with that setup. Leaks in that system can be disastrous.

Thanks. Inherited the system so no idea who installed it. Should I just go for a local reputable plumber then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

Does the prv ever release water ?
    Have you checked if there is still a charge in the expansion vessel ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Check your toilet cisterns. Probably faulty ball valve.

TECH85 wrote: »
    Does the prv ever release water ?
    Have you checked if there is still a charge in the expansion vessel ?

What do you mean release water? The pressure drops to 0 after 2-3 weeks and I open the valve to top it back up if thats what you mean?

How do I check the charge in expansion vessel?

What do you mean release water? The pressure drops to 0 after 2-3 weeks and I open the valve to top it back up if thats what you mean?

How do I check the charge in expansion vessel?

Got my answer from google. Ok so I checked all 3 expansion tanks and no water was coming out of the air valve when I pressed it in with a screwdriver. However no air noise came out of any of them either? Does this mean that they all need charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eamon34

yes .there are two presser vessel in your system, a small black one on pump and the red one. take some water out of system and pump them up

Eamon34 wrote: »
    yes

1.5 bar enough for all 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Eamon34

go for it see if it holds take a little water out before pumping it up

Eamon34 wrote: »
    go for it see if it holds take a little water out before pumping it up

tested the pressure with a proper device. the red vessel had 1 bar and the other 2 had 0 pressure/it wouldnt read it.

I tried pumping in air using a bicycle pump with the correct attachment but I could not get air into the vessels as it felt like the vessel was stopping the pump getting air in!

Any ideas?

tested the pressure with a proper device. the red vessel had 1 bar and the other 2 had 0 pressure/it wouldnt read it.

I tried pumping in air using a bicycle pump with the correct attachment but I could not get air into the vessels as it felt like the vessel was stopping the pump getting air in!

Any ideas?

Ok so I shut the water supply off, drained the system and then was able to pump air into one vessel. Now the pump still comes on but it does so much less. Probably once every 15 mins or so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bourkg

I have a Grundfos MQ3 -45. Today it would not start (middle of corona lock down of course). I was unable to get a plumber to assist so I decided to try an tackle the job myself.

On a side note it was also starting about every two minutes even when there was no water flow (There is was a tap at both ends that I could turn on/off to confirm no water flow)

When the pump was turned on it would make a sound that it was trying to turn but failing so my first assumption was that there was grit stuck in the propellers. I followed the instructions found in the following youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFGV2JcEm8Q

I found no evidence that there was grit stuck in there although I did find evidence that someone had previously opened it (I moved into second hand house some time back) and had sheared off one of the screws holding the cover on. What I did notice was that when I moved the motor shaft the motor would start which indicated a bad capacitor. I managed to find a pump supplier who was willing to sell me a matching capacitor and some silicone grease.

I re-assembled my pump and hey presto it's now working again. To my pleasant surprise, the pump is no longer starting every two minutes. I suspect the last person to open it did not grease up the o rings as shown in the video allowing the water to leak back through the pump. Also as a point to note, there is no pressure in the little tank, but its still not constantly starting when taps are not turned on.

Advertisement