Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a suit

Options
  • 11-05-2018 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

€€€€: Savills, Oliver Plunkett St - Brown Thomas

€€€: Fitzgerald's, - Debenhams or M&S, all Patrick St

€€: Dunnes, Penneys

It's worth a walk around town - few places on e.g. Nth Main St might be worth a look.

(Personally, I like to buy 2 trousers + 1 jacket - the suit lasts much longer then. Buy a conservative suit and it will last years!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Salingers now on Drawbridge Street i think, beautiful suits and accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Bought a suit just recently in Tom Murphys Patrick Street, couldn't fault them, great service, good selection of suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Gentlemen's Quarters, Patrick's Street, opp Penny's
    Con/Tom( not sure which) Murphy's , North Main street. (east side)

Both shops had a good selection in different price ranges and helpful assistants.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Avoid Gentleman's quarters, saville

Tom Murphy's is the place to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Aircoach to Dublin, Louis Copeland on Capel St. Tell them you’re up from Cork for the day and they’ll get the alterations sorted that afternoon (Capel st only, that’s where their tailoring is done, otherwise you have to return to collect).

Got a suit there years ago (their own brand) and people still comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

Would highly recommend Con Murphys on Patrick St.
    Staff are brilliant and they have a wide range of stock. I bought a regular suit from them a year or two ago, plus got the suits for my wedding recently (me plus three groomsmen). Brilliant service.
    I wouldn't go anywhere else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Con Murphys for me too.If you are tall or hard to fit this is the place to go......they will give good discount too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Not sure what your budget is but I got a lovely one in Next for €150 which was very reasonable

Suit distributors by frank field have a great selection too, got a lovely Marc Darcy one in there for €180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

wally1990 wrote: »
    Not sure what your budget is but I got a lovely one in Next for €150 which was very reasonable

Suit distributors by frank field have a great selection too, got a lovely Marc Darcy one in there for €180

Suit distributors are fantastic - really great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Simply Suits around by Smyths I found to be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Tom Murphy's is the spot to go, ask for Eoin in there and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The Smyths near that monstrosity of a roundabout?[/quote]

That's the one. It's in a spot behind the Smyths building, but lots of parking there

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

It seems to be the choice of a few here. Anyone here ever bought a 3 piece suit from them just to give an indication?

I have bought two suits. Paid about 180 each. Still doing the rounds five years later. My dad and grandad used it as well. People in Cork have a tendency to follow businesses that were used by their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got my wedding suit made through Tom Murphy's. Great service and willing to think outside the box to get what the customer wants.

• Advertisement

Don't make the mistake of buying a suit in a shop like River Island or Debenhams. Some of my friends have done this and they look awful, go out of fashion very quickly and don't fit properly. You can spot the lads who buy them in department stores at weddings - they are wrinkled and wrecked after a few hours.

You may pay a bit more, but your best bet is to go into a place like Tom Murphy's and buy a good suit. They will fit it properly and get it tailored for you if it doesn't fit straight away. Trust me, buying a good suit off someone who knows what they are talking about will save you a lot of time, money and hassle.

MrDerp wrote: »
    Aircoach to Dublin, Louis Copeland on Capel St. Tell them you’re up from Cork for the day and they’ll get the alterations sorted that afternoon (Capel st only, that’s where their tailoring is done, otherwise you have to return to collect).

Got a suit there years ago (their own brand) and people still comment on it.

Or you could save yourself the hassle and buy locally. Louis Copeland is just a marketing genius - most of the brands he sells are available in several shops around Cork.

Bought my wedding suit off Tom Murphy's last June. Best purchase I ever made. Great service from guy called Eoin in there. I still wear the suit for weddings and some work functions, just without the waistcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mick Murphy Menswear on North Main Street is the ONLY place to go for a suit. They have withstood the test of time.

I think (though I could be wrong) I paid 370e but I got a deal on the tie and shirt with it. It's a beautiful suit and I still get people asking me where I got it whenever I wear it. The guy I dealt with was Eoin (late 30s) and he was really helpful. I had a few ideas before I came in and thankfully he put me right in a nice way and I got exactly the right suit in the end.

I'm sure it was a good quality suit you were offered.

A three piece suit would not be that much more expensive than a two piece to be honest - the waistcoat is usually only an additional 50e. I think in Tom Murphy's you can get some suits with or without the waistcoat. I've only worn mine once and that was on my wedding day.

With suits, there are loads of different price brackets. The cheap suits in large department stores are balls of crap, and anything under 200e unless you get a real bargain is not going to be very sharp or a good fit on the day and be much use for wearing regularly beyond that.

Anything over about 320 in a reputable spot should be good quality. The smaller places rely on repeat business so they will not sell you garbage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement