Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conan Exiles

Options
  • 11-05-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, anyone out there playing this? I'm a big fan of the Conan universe and enjoy many of the aspects of Minecraft but am a bit reluctant to splash the cash just yet

Has anyone taken the plunge with this one?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I played it with friends when it first launched and was all janky. Having seen some vids post the v1 release, it looks to have been considerably improved, so I might have to duck back in. Playing with friends can be good and bad if you've got that one hyperactive friend who goes and builds everything whilst you're logged out and he's got about as much aesthetic sensibilities as the people who build cobblestone monstrosities in Minecraft, so you feel sick every time you see it :P However, the ability to manage your group's skillset means you get good way faster - someone concentrates on Armour, someone on Building, someone on Herbalism, etc. You don't have to spread your skill points as thinly as playing it solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got it on early access launch last year as well. I could never get in to it. I think it was because I tried to play solo. Set up my own server, bumped up the XP gain but even after levelling up and doing some building I was fed up that I still had to go back and collect weeds and keep topping up the food etc. The really basic stuff.

That aspect of survival games never appealed to me. Which I know - that's why they're called survival games :D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's supposed to be a lot better now, but i've not tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

So i couldn't resist, bought it saturday and have clocked in about 6hours so far(new baby means my playtime is very limited, otherwise I would have double the hours :) ) . Have to say I'm really enjoying it! It's definitely not what you would call a polished game but it has a certain charm to it :)

I'm loving the setting! The building mechanics are not as slick as crafting in Minecraft and the combat takes some getting used to but if you are a fan of the Conan universe it's definitely worth a shot!

The crafting in particular is a bit labour intensive but it's enjoyable nonetheless

Worth A Buy was saying the combat and AI is garbage.

• Advertisement

It's most definitely rough around the edges, and at times it feels like it's still in beta. The combat is quite clunky and the AI is very ordinary but it's an enjoyable game nonetheless.

Sometimes a game turns out to add up to more than the sum of its parts and this is one of those games for me. All my opinion of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Is it based more on the movies or original stories casue i do love the original stories

I haven't really had time to get stuck into it yet but so far it seems extremely open ended and not massively connected to the movies and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Worth A Buy was saying the combat and AI is garbage.

Yeah I saw that. So that hasn't changed since the last time I played. Although I did notice he was in Third person. When I played it it was first person only. there was a mod to switch to third but they kept breaking it with updates.

Advertisement