Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and living with Landlady

Options
  • 11-05-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Bh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

CWF wrote: »
    In this situation, who should cut the grass? She has hinted at me doing it, I know she wants me to but probably won't ask out straight.
    It'd be a good hour and half work, once a week or more coming into the summer. Last time it was cut was last August, she paid someone time, before that I did it because I had just moved in and wanted to impress I suppose. Would love to hear your thoughts. No lease signed. I'm a 29 year old male the landlady is in her 40s and goes to the gym, runs etc so she isn't immobile by any means.

Next thing then you'll be marrying her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Next thing then you'll be marrying her.

Haha that's precisely what I'm afraid of

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

Does doing it once imply it's your job forever ? Do it if you want to , if you're going to be sitting in the garden etc I suppose she owns the place so technically it's up to her.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In this situation, who should cut the grass? She has hinted at me doing it, I know she wants me to but probably won't ask out straight.
    It'd be a good hour and half work, once a week or more coming into the summer. Last time it was cut was last August, she paid someone time, before that I did it because I had just moved in and wanted to impress I suppose. Would love to hear your thoughts. No lease signed. I'm a 29 year old male the landlady is in her 40s and goes to the gym, runs etc so she isn't immobile by any means.

If this isn’t an intro to a prono I dont know what is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Do it only if you are given a rent reduction in line with what it would cost her to have it done. You are her tenant (I presume, nothing more)not her handyman. Doing it herself will give her a workout!

• Advertisement

wildwillow wrote: »
    Do it only if you are given a rent reduction in line with what it would cost her to have it done. You are her tenant (I presume, nothing more)not her handyman. Doing it herself will give her a workout!

That's exactly what I thought. Yeah I'm just renting, nothing more. Thanks

ruahead wrote: »
    Does doing it once imply it's your job forever ? Do it if you want to , if you're going to be sitting in the garden etc I suppose she owns the place so technically it's up to her.

Yeah that's a fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

On the other hand... you probably are a licensee so you might want to keep her sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

On the other hand... you probably are a licensee so you might want to keep her sweet.

What do you mean!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's not up to you to do it and you shouldn't have to do it, but you will have to do it given the situation.

Why do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What do you mean!?

In general if you live with an owner you don’t have the rights of a tenant, although people often confuse the two.

You have very few rights as a licensee. She can kick you out with minimum notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just cut it,it's only 1.5 hrs per week,it'll give u exercise and fresh air. PS: do u have much spare time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

wildwillow wrote: »

Actually the op is a licensee if he lives with the property owner, nothing more than a guest in the house. She can boot him out whenever she likes, so as Franz posted, it might be worth keeping her sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How big is the garden ? An hour and a half sounds excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I'd just tell her if you want me to cut it I can this time but I don't want it to become my job.
    If you talk about it in a good humoured way it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

An hour a d a half a week!! ??
    Holy F that must be a massive lawn

Tell her to buy one of those husqvarna auto mowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Is she good looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Landlord, do you remember when I mowed your lawn? (mowed your lawn)
    You came out with just a towel on (towel on)
    I could tell you like me from the way you stared (the way you stared)
    And the way you said, "You missed a spot over there." (a spot over there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Offer to do it every 2nd week, if she does it in the intervening weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm starting to fear the op is not referring to a garden in the traditional sense, but moreso the biblical sense.

If correct op, you need to get out of there. More and more we are hearing cases like this. It's taking advantage and plainly it's not worth it. This lady hasn't tidied up her garden since August? It's now May. Let that sink in. I shudder to think of how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lawnmo

Must be some lawn if it'll take an hour and a half!! Would probably take you half an hour. Go out and do it. You're over thinking it and who knows, you might enjoy it. If you feel you wont, just do a rubbish job so she wont ask you again

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Depends on what your rent and bills come to.

If it's tuppence ha'penney then cut the grass.
    If it's market rates then she can pay someone to do it.

fleet wrote: »
    Depends on what your rent and bills come to.

If it's tuppence ha'penney then cut the grass.
    If it's market rates then she can pay someone to do it.

its an awkward one, but I can't see the rental continuing if the op refuses.

But apart from that , healthy 29 year old male refuses to cut lawn for lady in house where he lives, times have certainly changed.

In tenancy agreements where the landlord does not live in the property, upkeep of the garden by the tenant is usually a condition of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

What if you cant ( abroad / ill / holiday etc ) for several weeks / months ?

What if lawnmower stops working ? ( will it me your fault ? / do you have to repair it ?)

What if she isnt happy with the way you do it ?

What if...
    What if...
    What if...

0lddog wrote: »
    What if you cant ( abroad / ill / holiday etc ) for several weeks / months ?

What if lawnmower stops working ? ( will it me your fault ? / do you have to repair it ?)

What if she isnt happy with the way you do it ?

What if...
    What if...
    What if...

What if, you remembered it's cutting grass, not adding on an extension. It's pretty simple to do.

I'd take my top off and do it,
    You might get a "Ride-on-mower" after that.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The lazy cow should do if herself. You are not live in labour. And I really doubt doing a bad job would put her off, if she hasn't cut it since August she'll take anything.

• Advertisement

It's just a regular front and back lawn in an semi detached housing estate. It's not that big at all it's just it would take forever because the grass is so bloody long after not being cut in nearly a year! Plus the lawnmower has a tiny collector so it needs to be emptied every couple of minutes, using her tiny electrical fly mo.

"Take forever"? Jesus wept, are you 13?

Cut it at high setting without the collector box the first time, rake it up, then cut quickly with the box on at a lower setting.

Advertisement