Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and living with Landlady

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

CWF wrote: »
    It's just a regular front and back lawn in an semi detached housing estate. It's not that big at all it's just it would take forever because the grass is so bloody long after not being cut in nearly a year! Plus the lawnmower has a tiny collector so it needs to be emptied every couple of minutes, using her tiny electrical fly mo.

So it's not going to take 90 minutes every week. Might take a while the first time, then it'll be quick enough and easy to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

OK you are a licencee but you are still paying for your room and she is getting that money tax free if availing of rent a room. The tax she is saving would easily pay for a regular cut and give employment to someone else.
    She is a young fit woman who needs to maintain her own property. Are you going to be responsible for the actual lawnmower? What happens if a stone flies and breaks a window?
    Do you actually make use of the garden for relaxation. When did you last do work free of charge for any other service provider? Sweep the floor after a hair cut, tidy the forecourt when buying fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I would not do it. Let her get a professional mower to do the work. I am lucky that I rent a house that is paved front and back so no bother.

Let her get a pet goat to keep the grass short or get rid of the grass.

Most people have too much to do to be bothered with grass in an urban setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I would be inclined to do it, but hint to something on the side if you know what I mean. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Mods can you delete this thread please to protect my anonymity please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Too late! Caught ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

First the lawn, then 'you know, the house could use a lick of paint now that summers here'. Then 'those windows are a bit dirty' and 'The hedge could do with a trim'.
    Only do her oddjobs if you want to and make sure you get paid a decent rate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Female here, house shared for years. Cannot believe you wouldn't offer to do it. It's a bit of grass. Glad I always shared with nice guys who just saw things to be done and did them. Says a lot about a person to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

OmegaGene wrote: »
    She hasn’t even asked him to cut the lawn this is all guess work on the side of the op
    She's hinting at it and waiting for him to offer his services free of charge. Then if he gets sick of doing it she can say 'but I didn't ask you to do it, you offered'.
    OP if she keeps hinting just tell her 'I know a great gardener, very reasonble. Do you want his number?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

She's hinting at it and waiting for him to offer his services free of charge. Then if he gets sick of doing it she can say 'but I didn't ask you to do it, you offered'.
    OP if she keeps hinting just tell her 'I know a great gardener, very reasonble. Do you want his number?'

Yip, her reply should be "take a hike snowflake".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

davo10 wrote: »
    Yip, her reply should be "take a hike snowflake".

I tried cutting the grass there and just gave up. My tampon fell out when taking out the collector box to empty it.
    Now I know why she didn't want to do it in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

no drinking and driving if it's a ride on mower

I tried cutting the grass there and just gave up. My tampon fell out when taking out the collector box to empty it.

What? Sorry op, I thought you said you are a 29 year old man, my apologies the landlady was bang out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You need to shove it further up your ass as you cut the grass!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

There's a special place in hell reserved for people who use the term snowflake.

I don't see an issue with cutting the grass once in a while, but every week is ridiculous. Once a month is more reasonable.

Pelvis wrote: »
    There's a special place in hell reserved for people who use the term snowflake.

I don't see an issue with cutting the grass once in a while, but every week is ridiculous. Once a month is more reasonable.

Rarely, but some times it is apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

CWF wrote:
    I tried cutting the grass there and just gave up. My tampon fell out when taking out the collector box to empty it. Now I know why she didn't want to do it in the first place!

Didn't you say you were a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Bruisedego wrote: »
    Female here, house shared for years. Cannot believe you wouldn't offer to do it. It's a bit of grass. Glad I always shared with nice guys who just saw things to be done and did them. Says a lot about a person to be honest...

He's not sharing to be fair, it's his landlady. That's a different relationship to sharing a rented property with someone where you are all on an equal footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

What? Sorry op, I thought you said you are a 29 year old man, my apologies the landlady was bang out of order.
    Didn't you say you were a man?

Just goes to show when someone mentions Tampons half the fellas lose the train of thought....Check the batteries on the old sarcasm meters perhaps??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

This thread got fierce gendered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

SteM wrote: »

Really !! As a female I'm insulted that you expect and judge a guy for this, he is a tenant and she the owner. Wow

ruahead wrote: »

Really !! As a female I'm insulted that you expect and judge a guy for this, he is a tenant and she the owner. Wow

He isn't a tenant.

He isn't a tenant.
    Sorry I mean live in housemate. Apologies !!

He isn't a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Male here - if we lived together in a houseshare - better yet, if I were the owner occupier and you were a lodger, as in the case of the OP - would you do my ironing for me? It's just a bit of ironing... Says a lot about a person to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He isn't a tenant.
    He is a licencee and as such he can be turned out today and replaced by a nice chap who would have no bother cutting the grass.
    OP who does the hoovering in the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

He is a licencee which means he is paying for the room. The landlady is getting money from him, and it's tax free.

If she wants to have someone to cut the grass she should pay someone to do it. Seems it is an easy enough job if done regularly.

If it were a male landlord would the answers be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I agree the op is a work shy snowflake
    Things swing in roundabouts all the time

Do you fancy coming around to my gaff and cutting the grass for free?
    No? OmegaGene must be a work shy snowflake, so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Just cut it and look on it as being helpful and getting along with people. It won't kill you.

Advertisement