Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and living with Landlady

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

wildwillow wrote: »
    He is a licencee which means he is paying for the room. The landlady is getting money from him, and it's tax free.

If she wants to have someone to cut the grass she should pay someone to do it. Seems it is an easy enough job if done regularly.

If it were a male landlord would the answers be the same?
    You seem to be hung up about the tax, get over it. It’s a house share , the Landlord is not his mother. He needs to do some grown up tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The fact you're already fretting about it when she hasn't even asked you yet or you haven't even done it once yet says a lot about you. Had you been cutting it every week for last six months fair enough but jesus lad ... its potentially being asked to lend a hand and cut the grass now and then ....not digging a new septic tank.

Will u have the same issue if she expects you to clean the bathroom or empty the dishwasher. It's a flymo she has so I'm sure after the initial cut its not gonna be a rainforest you're cutting for a half hour every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Male here - if we lived together in a houseshare - better yet, if I were the owner occupier and you were a lodger, as in the case of the OP - would you do my ironing for me? It's just a bit of ironing... Says a lot about a person to be honest...

My old housemates cut grass/put out bins/lifted heavy things etc. and YES I did iron some shirts, bought cakes/biscuits, kept communal area clean - we helped each other and it was no big deal. I have no problem helping others, I just don't get how it is such a big deal to the op to cut some grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Patww79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it out of principle. She's getting paid for your stay.

Would you be concerned at all about the relationship after you refused? Say for instance the landlady said to you that she no longer wanted you in her house if you are not willing to lend a hand with the grass. You've no tenancy rights so she could just ask you to move on.

On principle you are of course right, but to be fair, a lad spending half an hour cutting a previously cut garden isn't exactly a hardship, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It wouldn't be hardship for her to spend half an hour on it either.
    But yeah, if it was a case of do it or be kicked out then I'd do it but I meant it in reply for all the ones in shock that he wouldn't just do it because he has a pair of testicles and she hasn't.

It would be pretty ungrateful of the landlady not to acknowledge that the op had done something he shouldn't be required to do so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some reward if he did it regularly, a few beers, a voucher, a month rent free etc, but I think a refusal or a demand by op would be met with a swift exit.

davo10 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hardship for her to spend half an hour on it either.
    But yeah, if it was a case of do it or be kicked out then I'd do it but I meant it in reply for all the ones in shock that he wouldn't just do it because he has a pair of testicles and she hasn't.

It would be pretty ungrateful of the landlady not to acknowledge that the op had done something he shouldn't be required to do so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some reward if he did it regularly, a few beers, a voucher, a month rent free etc, but I think a refusal or a demand by op would be met with a swift exit.

A month free rent!!! You’re taking the pi55 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

No.

So the room user should not cut the grass in his lodgings.

Tasks will multiply if he gives in on this.

People have enough things to do rather than doing stuff for landlords.

Let her get another service provider to do it.

As I said earlier if someone breaks the lawn mower who will pay for it????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Sorry couldn’t reply to you all day I was at work

The op isn’t even being asked to cut the grass he thinks she might be hinting at it but he’s not sure and he’s also deleted the opening post for fears of a backlash from his landlady
    I aleady cut grass for a few elderly neighbours at the weekends so I don’t have time to call to your “gaff” and cut your grass and I’m not refining a room from you so jog on

I mean I didn't actually want you to cut my grass, it was more to illustrate a point...

There is a big difference between cutting the grass for your elderly neighbours because you are a nice fellow, and feeling obliged to cut the grass of your landlord when you are already paying for the privilege of living there.

If the landlady asked me for help in carrying something up the stairs, or holding a ladder or some other job that is much easier with two people then sure I would help her. But if she asked me to wash her car for her or paint her kitchen, I'd tell her to go and whistle.

• Advertisement

doolox wrote: »
    No.

So the room user should not cut the grass in his lodgings.

Tasks will multiply if he gives in on this.

People have enough things to do rather than doing stuff for landlords.

Let her get another service provider to do it.

As I said earlier if someone breaks the lawn mower who will pay for it????

She might actually enjoy asking you to leave, confident in the knowledge that it would be easy to replace you, and you could be whistling a long tune while you try to find another place. Good karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

As the OP I won't be commenting any further on the matter. Very interesting discussion all the same. Thanks to everyone for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sensodyne

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Next thing then you'll be marrying her.

:D:D:D There must be a reason why landlady chose a single male in his prime. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

She might actually enjoy asking you to leave, confident in the knowledge that it would be easy to replace you, and you could be whistling a long tune while you try to find another place. Good karma.

So, if an owner says 'jump', a licencee should always ask 'how high?', given the insecurity of their living arrangement(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do you know what, give me the address and I'll go around and cut the grass myself.

Anything to put an end to this.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    So, if an owner says 'jump', a licencee should always ask 'how high?', given the insecurity of their living arrangement(?)

Within reason of course, but it's hard to ignore the reality of the situation licensees are in, effectively being a guest in the house means you can be asked to leave on a whim. I know others argue against, but I don't see cutting a small garden as a "how high" situation. Tenants have to maintain gardens in houses they rent if their lease stipulates it, it is not unreasonable to ask a licensee to do the same. If I were the landlady, I'd make it a condition of the arrangement, maybe next time she will.

It’s grass , it’s a house share, so chores should be shared. Op if you want a maid service stay in a Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

But apart from that , healthy 29 year old male refuses to cut lawn for healthy lady in house where he lives, times have certainly changed.
    Equality is awful..........:rolleyes:

#whogavethemthevoteanyways?

Advertisement