Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in England

Options
  • 11-05-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭

My nephew has been interviewed by phone today for a position in Farnborough in Hampshire and was offered the job there and then.
    He will teach Geography and “some PE and football coaching”.
    The headmaster seemed really nice, he felt.
    This will be his first job!!
    It’s a mixed secondary with a lot of Tibetan refugees.
    The head said that he may need to do a TEFL course.
    Any thoughts?
    TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Where did he apply? Was it through an agency?

Did the principal mention what type of tefl course? If it's flexible, there's online tefl certs, Acels approved courses, and celt/celta.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Sounds like he is going to a school desperate for teachers. He should at least see the place, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Where did he apply? Was it through an agency?

Did the principal mention what type of tefl course? If it's flexible, there's online tefl certs, Acels approved courses, and celt/celta.

Through an agency. I’ll find out more when I see him next weekend.

scoopmine wrote: »
    Sounds like he is going to a school desperate for teachers. He should at least see the place, etc...

I know but he’s pretty desperate himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

splinter65 wrote: »
    I know but he’s pretty desperate himself.

There's no denying there's tough schools over in the UK, some here too. The only thing is that if it doesn't work out when he's settled in , there are plenty of other schools over there. Subbing over here will be available to him but it's soul destroying too. That's the negative aspect but it definitely be an experience for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm not surprised that schools are desperate for teachers - the situation in the UK is dire.

He will probably be put in as an NQT, but if not and he is being performance managed, then unless he agrees to the targets (i.e. so that he can progress on the pay scale) he should not sign them. I would advise he joins one of the teaching unions, personally would go NASUWT over NEU as the NEU have a reputation for being more militant.

He needs to be prepared for a different system altogether - though he will have the benefit of this year's GCSE lot having done the new specification so it will be a little easier.

Plenty of schools have EAL departments who would help him find an appropriate TEFL course - school will find the course for them. At least with supply work over here, it is way more plentiful than in Ireland, especially if he moves closer to London area.

He can have a look at the school's OFSTED report which will give him a decent idea of what it is like - feel free to drop a PM

I'm not surprised that schools are desperate for teachers - the situation in the UK is dire.

He will probably be put in as an NQT, but if not and he is being performance managed, then unless he agrees to the targets (i.e. so that he can progress on the pay scale) he should not sign them. I would advise he joins one of the teaching unions, personally would go NASUWT over NEU as the NEU have a reputation for being more militant.

He needs to be prepared for a different system altogether - though he will have the benefit of this year's GCSE lot having done the new specification so it will be a little easier.

Plenty of schools have EAL departments who would help him find an appropriate TEFL course - school will find the course for them. At least with supply work over here, it is way more plentiful than in Ireland, especially if he moves closer to London area.

He can have a look at the school's OFSTED report which will give him a decent idea of what it is like - feel free to drop a PM

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Have you heard from your nephew OP, how is he getting on in England?

Advertisement