Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Billy86 wrote: »
    That game must have been patched up really well (eventually) because I only got around to it last year and had no issues with the batmobile or frame rates (outside of the blimp sequence which was fairly short) throughout on PC (I5 6600K, 16GB RAM AND GTX 970 so a reasonably hi spec computer to be fair). Some parts like the Mad Hatters storybook sequence were also wonderfully inventive and highly memorable.

I thought it was bloody fantastic, though I've not got on to Origins as I'm worried the issues there were far less performance related and more to do with the game itself.

The main problem with the Batmobile was it went from "Oh cool, we get to use the batmobile" to "Ah crap, we have to use the Batmobile yet again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Microsoft have been far from complacent. They have put a huge amount of effort into pushing the One X and their backwards compatibility program is excellent and is one area which would tempt me to get a One if the price was right.

Sony have they own approach to backwards support with PS Now. Sure, it's not as good as MS's in pretty much every department, but it could be the approach that will be used in future by all platform holders.
    The issue is not investing in exclusives which is where it really matters and they can't do that now, it takes too much time. What they do have are franchises which are feeling very 'last gen' like gears and halo.

But surely this is more complacent than anything Sony have done. MS have been lacking exclusives for a very long time, not just since the start of this gen. What exclusives of note were they releasing when The Last of Us was coming out? Genuine question, cause it felt to me they weren't doing much for the second half of last gen.
    They are making a big push but it's futile. Sony aren't going to be caught this gen. Sony just kind of not have to bother with the likes of a BC program to match MS or push for exclusives when Japanese third party studios are doing that for them.

I'm sure you would have said the same thing a year or 2 into last gen consoles regarding Sony catching MS, and I probably would have agreed. But Sony did do that, in part due to great exclusives and also in part due to MS's lack of exclusives.

I just don't agree with your complacency argument, sure they are not taking as many risks as before with games from Japan studios, but that is understandable considering how risky game development is now and the overall financial health of Sony. This is probably not the thread for this discussion anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The main problem with the Batmobile was it went from "Oh cool, we get to use the batmobile" to "Ah crap, we have to use the Batmobile yet again!"

Personally I didn't even notice that too much. Though I always was a sucker for an auld 20 minute glide in the sky. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Phantom Doctrine E3 trailer - turn based combat á la XCOM, with stealth & espionage, in an alternative 1980s setting. Had been getting some good early press, so hopefully it's gonna be a good one. Oh, and looks like one of the missions might be in Ireland. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I remember at the time the Xbox One was revealed the whole "console wars" were in full swing and every gaming related Youtube video had some form of argument in the comments over which console was better. Now it's like even the PlayStation players are sadly mourning the fallen enemy. It's actually kind of sad and I never thought I would say that about something so mundane as an internet argument over gaming hardware. Microsoft really screwed themselves over the day the tried to market the Xbox one as a multimedia platform rather than a games console. That should have sent alarm bells off at the time. RIP Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

I still remember the reveal event,it was a shambles.ms really didn't do themselves any favours stating that you would always need to he online to play games.That along with the myriad of hardware issues with the 360(bricked 2 consoles multiple times for me!) Led me to not trust them any more.Then xbone reveal was the icing on the cake for me,, seeing now that they're console is sturdy and not the crapheap that the 360 was makes me sad because I'd buy it in an instant but they have nothing to attract me,third party games are just going to look better on pc and I'm no that mad into gears or sea of thieves.I'm a ps4/pc player for years now but I'd love ms to come out swinging this e3 I still think they have the look8ng ui/feel to they're consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I was a pretty big Xbox 360 fanboy gamerscore over 100k. Sat down excitedly for the new Xbox reveal..... Sold my Xbox that week and never looked back. They basically went gamers thanks for getting our gaming console so big, here is a media platform for everybody and nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Thought he was retiring from tweeting.

What time does this kick off at. Early hours of the morning for us?

Thought he was retiring from tweeting.

What time does this kick off at. Early hours of the morning for us?

He's retiring after this E3 :(

g27vzsx8edcbtbwgf0qw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Canadian GP followed by Microsoft conference. Good Times :)

Xbox

FDAN_LsH1fZh4nDYK_3GvRU42HA=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jaysus lads, is this some xbox funeral, that I did not got the memo for?!

I picked up xbox one x in January and I love it. As a pc gamer since I was 10 and xbox one x finally made me say: wow, consoles hardware finally doesn't suck and I dont feel like playing massively compromised games on TV with controller.
    I agree, MS sucks for first party games. The only ones I like are Forza games and the rest can feck off. On the other hand MS worked on its other strengths.
    Third party enchanced games are amazing even if you have 1080p screen. Finally got a decent 4k TV last month and its even better.
    Constantly adding old 360 games, which are enhanced with 4k and better frame rates. Free remasters at this point.
    Ea acess and game pass are great services. Games like netflix service is one of the most exciting things happen to video game industry in years.

I know I will get **** for my post here, but I don't think its time to bury xbox and send it the way of the Dodo. Yes, they are underdogs this gen, but that means MS will get a good kick up its arse to do better. Remember ps3 times?
    Right now xbox offers me personally better value then ps4. I will take better performing games that I actually play, over exclusives games that available on the console, but I just dont care about.

My ps4 is not even connected since I got xbox one x, but when I can afford I am getting ps4 pro purely for those few exclusive games I do want to play.

Bring on e3 and hopefully MS can show something cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Devolved Digital just won E3 by teasing Metal Wolf Chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Jaysus lads, is this some xbox funeral, that I did not got the memo for?!

I picked up xbox one x in January and I love it. As a pc gamer since I was 10 and xbox one x finally made me say: wow, consoles hardware finally doesn't suck and I dont feel like playing massively compromised games on TV with controller.
    I agree, MS sucks for first party games. The only ones I like are Forza games and the rest can feck off. On the other hand MS worked on its other strengths.
    Third party enchanced games are amazing even if you have 1080p screen. Finally got a decent 4k TV last month and its even better.
    Constantly adding old 360 games, which are enhanced with 4k and better frame rates. Free remasters at this point.
    Ea acess and game pass are great services. Games like netflix service is one of the most exciting things happen to video game industry in years.

I know I will get **** for my post here, but I don't think its time to bury xbox and send it the way of the Dodo. Yes, they are underdogs this gen, but that means MS will get a good kick up its arse to do better. Remember ps3 times?
    Right now xbox offers me personally better value then ps4. I will take better performing games that I actually play, over exclusives games that available on the console, but I just dont care about.

My ps4 is not even connected since I got xbox one x, but when I can afford I am getting ps4 pro purely for those few exclusive games I do want to play.

Bring on e3 and hopefully MS can show something cool.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Xbox right now. Its fans are hoping for something, whereas PS4 owners know what's on the Horizon (pun intended).

It doesn't help that 2017 was one of gaming's greatest ever years and Microsoft had almost nothing got to do with it. For a console player that is on the look out for the latest, greatest, games, the PS4 (and to a lesser extent, Switch) is where it's at.

I swapped my PS4 for a vanilla Xbox in January (long story, but my two nephews and Fortnite had a lot got to do with it). I have a soft spot for Xbox so I was happy to make the change. I had a blast with their handful of first party titles and having the likes of Knights of the Old Republic and the Fable series on backwards-compat. But now the dust has settled and there's little to nothing on the way. I'm making the switch over to PC but if I wasn't I'd have to purchase another PS4.

I commend Microsoft for what they're doing with 4K, particularly breathing new life into old games. Game preservation is something very close to my heart and it's just wonderful to see Microsoft's technology coming to the rescue in the way that it is, particularly with the One X. It's both making old games playable and, through sheer horsepower, making them feel vital again (for me, at least).

So the brand is far from dead. They need to see the rest of this generation through, keep positioning themselves in terms of backwards compatibility, classic gaming and 4K, etc. But they really need to add to that portfolio going forward. Microsoft need to reach into those deep pockets, start nailing down exclusives. And when they feel a need to buy a developer, don't strangle the life out of it.

None of these brands or companies are invincible. The day will come when one of them will fold or be withdrawn. If I had to place a bet on which one will still be here in 2028 I knew where my money would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Xbox

Is this opposite day or something 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

hqdefault.jpg

I'm confused. What's after happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm the same. No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Failsafe is having a public breakdown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Devolved Digital just won E3 by teasing Metal Wolf Chaos.

You can feck off Retr0, you still owe me for that Xbox!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

J. Marston wrote: »
    Failsafe is having a public breakdown.

Is that poor hygiene or... Oh.... Public breakdown.... Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bethesda's Pete Hines says there's still a couple of surprises for their E3 press conference, despite Fallout 76 and Rage 2 being revealed early (PCGamesN).

That mooted Prey expansion set on the moon? New Doom? Maybe even TES6..?

Bethesda's Pete Hines says there's still a couple of surprises for their E3 press conference, despite Fallout 76 and Rage 2 being revealed early (PCGamesN).

That mooted Prey expansion set on the moon? New Doom? Maybe even TES6..?

I would like a new Dishonored game.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Highlight of the Xbox press conference will be Cyberpunk,thats it.. its a shame as the X is a beast of a machine..

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Dude, what is wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New PSVR Game announced by Sony

Advertisement