Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Rory28 wrote: »
    As good as Microsofts and Bethesdas conferences where I'm still in a state of denial over the Command and Conquer announcement.
    I was so disappointed that it felt like a personal attack. I'll need the week off work to bounce back from this.

I knew all their 'good guy' stuff about no more lootboxes was too good to be true. The toxic underbelly of EA had to ooze out somewhere, its just a shame it was on to the CnC franchise.

Devolver's conference. This is art.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, generally it fell into three categories:

World Premiere = We're the first ones revealing/announcing the game
    Console Launch Exclusive = Game launches first on Xbox
    Exclusive = Exclusive

And Exclusive means exclusive to Microsoft platforms as they will all be coming to the Windows store as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As good as Microsofts and Bethesdas conferences where I'm still in a state of denial over the Command and Conquer announcement.
    I was so disappointed that it felt like a personal attack. I'll need the week off work to bounce back from this.

Honestly, it couldn't be that hard to make a cheap, good C&C game. Even make it 2D/2.5D, like Red Alert 2, cut out the cheesy cut scenes, and make it highly customisable, i.e. make it simple to make custom maps, your own campaigns, etc. It'd be cheap to make at the very least, develop it in Early Access to get players balancing the game as early as possible.

Why can't we have something like this? Why burn down whatever good will the brand has left with a mobile game that absolutely no one will be satisfied with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Honestly, it couldn't be that hard to make a cheap, good C&C game. Even make it 2D/2.5D, like Red Alert 2, cut out the cheesy cut scenes, and make it highly customisable, i.e. make it simple to make custom maps, your own campaigns, etc. It'd be cheap to make at the very least, develop it in Early Access to get players balancing the game as early as possible.

Why can't we have something like this? Why burn down whatever good will the brand has left with a mobile game that absolutely no one will be satisfied with?

There's just not really a market for RTS games anymore. The last few C&C games didn't do all that well and the hardcore playerbase has moved to MOBA.

• Advertisement

I think people saw an MS conference with games and were taken aback by the fact that they showcased games. That 90% of them will be on PS4 also didn't matter at all as MS tried to sneakily imply that these were exclusives.

I watched the trailers for them this morning and as I said previously, it's a great line up if you love sequels, triple-A titles and waiting years for a game to actually get released. Felt much the same about the Elder Scrolls VI reveal as I did by Cyberpunk, great to see a tiny bit of it but it's years away so why bother.

Bethesda had a pretty solid showing, granted it was pretty much sequel city but new Doom and Wolfenstein is always a good thing and Rage 2 looks like fun. That said the opening of the Bethedsa conference is like watching human AI try to pretend that they aren't all dead on the inside as they hold their phones up and have no reaction to Andrew W.K.

Seriously finding it hard to understand why people have such a problem with Microsoft. OK, you have a specific setup which seems to be PC for 3rd party and consoles for exclusives, amiright? This is not the norm. 99.99% of people will own a single console. Microsoft are not seeking out exclusives to lure people to the console solely to play those exclusives. They have moved on from the flame wars and are focusing on offering a complete gaming service.

So, look at it this way- you are an Xbox owner, you do not own a pc or a ps4. Would you be happy with the games on offer? Because that's all that matters. The overwhelming opinion is that it was a strong showing and also the future looks bright with 5 new studios, games pass and play anywhere (which is literally going to evolve into play any game, anywhere, on any device).

Yes PS4 has some fantastic exclusives. I would flip your argument on its head though and it makes much more sense to have an Xbox One X as your main gaming console and to pick up a cheap PS4 for the odd exclusive that you really, really have to play (Spiderman 2 would tick that box for most).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Elder Scrolls VI reveal had landed over night. Super excited for this. Cannot wait ... and it looks like it'll be a long wait :(

After star lord apparently whenever the hell that will release :s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I would have settled for a remaster of Generals. Never liked their future war versions, tiberian sun and the likes. Walking tanks have no appeal to me.

I would have settled for a remaster of Generals. Never liked their future war versions, tiberian sun and the likes. Walking tanks have no appeal to me.

Blasphemy. Any true hardcore CnC fan knows Tiberian Sun is the best CnC ever made! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, generally it fell into three categories:

World Premiere = We're the first ones revealing/announcing the game
    Console Launch Exclusive = Game launches first on Xbox
    Exclusive = Exclusive

So some Exclusives and Console Launch Exclusives also counted as World Premieres, but only ones specifically called Exclusive are exclusives. I thought that was pretty clear.
    Another thing to add is all the "world premiere" games have partnered with Xbox and they will get an Xbox One X enhanced version at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Falthyron wrote: »
    Blasphemy. Any true hardcore CnC fan knows Tiberian Sun is the best CnC ever made! :D

A chinook full of Tanya's would have something to say about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

I don't want to stoke the Xbox v PS4 flames any further but, whatever your console of choice, surely we can all agree that a bit of healthy competition is a good thing. Sony and Microsoft have been pushing each other on for the best part of two decades. Long may it continue as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to live under a monopoly.

Also, there's a lot of people online taking the mick out of Microsoft because all of the best games showcased yesterday will also be available on PS4. True, but there's a good chance that the One X versions will be superior. That's not a guarantee of course (I seem to remember some Digital Foundry articles showing the Pro performing better than the X with some titles) but it would certainly make me think before I purchase my next console.

A chinook full of Tanya's would have something to say about that.

Pft, A legless Cyborg Commando laughs at your paltry effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Which is the one with Tim Curry and Ric Flair? Cos that's the best one.

Seriously finding it hard to understand why people have such a problem with Microsoft. OK, you have a specific setup which seems to be PC for 3rd party and consoles for exclusives, amiright? This is not the norm. 99.99% of people will own a single console. Microsoft are not seeking out exclusives to lure people to the console solely to play those exclusives. They have moved on from the flame wars and are focusing on offering a complete gaming service.

So, look at it this way- you are an Xbox owner, you do not own a pc or a ps4. Would you be happy with the games on offer? Because that's all that matters. The overwhelming opinion is that it was a strong showing and also the future looks bright with 5 new studios, games pass and play anywhere (which is literally going to evolve into play any game, anywhere, on any device).

Yes PS4 has some fantastic exclusives. I would flip your argument on its head though and it makes much more sense to have an Xbox One X as your main gaming console and to pick up a cheap PS4 for the odd exclusive that you really, really have to play (Spiderman 2 would tick that box for most).

I actually have all three consoles and a gaming PC and most people at this stage have more than one console.

If I was an Xbox One owner and had nothing else then I'd be relatively happy as long as I wasn't looking for anything that wasn't a sequel or Triple-A title.

Put it this way, if you don't own PC or any of the consoles are on the market for a console are you going to go with the Xbox because it plays third-party titles and two exclusives every two years or the PS4 which has third party support as well as a number of exclusives each year?

The One X may be a more powerful console but that doesn't mean that games run better on it, there's a few that actually perform better on the Pro than on the One X and at the end of the day the difference between the two isn't as wide as the 25% price difference would imply. And this is coming from someone who does want to get a One X at some stage but is quite happy with the One S for the odd exclusive and 4K blu-ray playback.

No one is saying that the MS conference was bad, merely that it's just more of the same and that Gears of War 5 and Halo 6 may look good but with their recent doubling down on first-party titles, many expected more.

Red Alert 3.

It was good, but in terms of meat and game mechanics/content, I felt it was a bit light. The humour helped to see Red Alert 3 over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If some one doesn't have either an Xbox One or PS4 at this stage and are buying a console now, I suspect that it's not the high end models that they are going to be buying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My favorite one!

I'd love a new C&C game but I don't think that the market is there for it anymore, most of the hardcore fans have moved to MOBA so the only way it could work is if it was done like Dawn of War III and melded RTS to MOBA gaming. I think that C&C as a series is very much a product of its time and the awkward cutscenes and storylines just wouldn't work today and it would run the risk of being overly serious.

I'd love a new C&C game but I don't think that the market is there for it anymore, most of the hardcore fans have moved to MOBA so the only way it could work is if it was done like Dawn of War III and melded RTS to MOBA gaming. I think that C&C as a series is very much a product of its time and the awkward cutscenes and storylines just wouldn't work today and it would run the risk of being overly serious.

I dunno, I think a lot of it comes down to the developer/publisher. Look at Relic and Company of Heroes - still a very popular and successful game. In fact, I received an email from Relic a few months ago asking to complete a survey which indicated CoH3 will go to Italy/North Africa. We might even see an announcement tonight at the PC Gamer Show.

Ashes of Singularity has done well and I believe the lads of Total Annihilation fame are currently working on a proper TA sequel type game. There is a market, but its about managing budget and expectations. EA (being EA) would let their toxic avarice ruin the project by being light on content, heavy on micro-transactions/cosmetics and want to put it on console, thereby diluting the quality for PC players, who (like FIFA is to console players) should be the key audience and target.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I would buy a Homeworld sequel 3 times over, and i'm sure there are others who would agree.

While the market isn't as big as it once was, if the right game was done well, it would sell very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Red Alert 3.

It was good, but in terms of meat and game mechanics/content, I felt it was a bit light. The humour helped to see Red Alert 3 over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Given the size of the global gaming market it's not really credible to say there's no market for C&C.
    There's only an appropriate level of ambition and budget relative to the amount of sales you can expect.

If it wasn't garbage I don't see why they'd struggle to break a million copies sold.

Cheesy FMV sequences would absolutely work in the current market. They'd probably be more popular than ever.

I'm somewhat puzzled at how there's ongoing hype surrounding Bethesda RPGs.
    Maybe there's some hope that an ES game will finally have the level of polish and mechanical sophistication one might expect from a AAA experience for a change, but even that's somewhat optimistic.

Dwindling depth, less and less meaningful decision-making, poor writing and weaker implementation of rpg elements are the trend they've set over the past few releases, so I'm not sure how they can still trade on the strength of their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the opposite. Rage 2 has inadvertently received huge marketing and the Rage 2 twitter team have been brilliant in its promotion

Oh I agree, but I meant in terms of the conference. Rage was a very unlikely game to have gotten a sequel and would have been a genuine surprise, something which the entire conference lacked.

I dunno, I think a lot of it comes down to the developer/publisher. Look at Relic and Company of Heroes - still a very popular and successful game. In fact, I received an email from Relic a few months ago asking to complete a survey which indicated CoH3 will go to Italy/North Africa. We might even see an announcement tonight at the PC Gamer Show.

Ashes of Singularity has done well and I believe the lads of Total Annihilation fame are currently working on a proper TA sequel type game. There is a market, but its about managing budget and expectations. EA (being EA) would let their toxic avarice ruin the project by being light on content, heavy on micro-transactions/cosmetics and want to put it on console, thereby diluting the quality for PC players, who (like FIFA is to console players) should be the key audience and target.

I don't think some of the criticism is fair, after all EA has done a pretty great job of shepherding smaller titles into development and while I think that loot crates are always a bad idea at least they were upfront with Battlefront 2 having all extra content for free.

Personally I think that if C&C Rivals does well then we may see the franchise built up from there. A smaller, lower budget entry along the lines of A Way Out type of development cycle would be ideal but I still think that the market for a game like C&C isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gbear wrote: »
    Given the size of the global gaming market it's not really credible to say there's no market for C&C.
    There's only an appropriate level of ambition and budget relative to the amount of sales you can expect.

Capital is limited, they could always make more doing something else.

I don't think some of the criticism is fair, after all EA has done a pretty great job of shepherding smaller titles into development and while I think that loot crates are always a bad idea at least they were upfront with Battlefront 2 having all extra content for free.

Personally I think that if C&C Rivals does well then we may see the franchise built up from there. A smaller, lower budget entry along the lines of A Way Out type of development cycle would be ideal but I still think that the market for a game like C&C isn't there.

CnC Rivals is the epitome of all that is wrong with EA. Using a franchise they wrecked from a company they dissolved as a cheap cash grab is typical of their greed and cynicism. The only thing CnC Rivals will do (should it be a big success) is guarantee another CnC mobile title.

There is a greater chance of EA green-lighting some FPS CnC title emerging that falls into their 'games as service' revenue strategy than there is of a RTS game.

CnC Rivals is the epitome of all that is wrong with EA. Using a franchise they wrecked from a company they dissolved as a cheap cash grab is typical of their greed and cynicism. The only thing CnC Rivals will do (should it be a big success) is guarantee another CnC mobile title.

There is a greater chance of EA green-lighting some FPS CnC title emerging that falls into their 'games as service' revenue strategy than there is of a RTS game.

I have no problem with a mobile C&C title, most RTS gamers are playing MOBA titles and looking at the reaction from hard core RTS fans I know most are actually excited at the prospect of C&C on their hand held devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Add in Gary Busey, Brian Blessed, Christopher Walken & Steven Seagal for sh!ts & giggles

• Advertisement

I have no problem with a mobile C&C title, most RTS gamers are playing MOBA titles and looking at the reaction from hard core RTS fans I know most are actually excited at the prospect of C&C on their hand held devices.

453093.jpg

#NotMyKane

I honestly believe the bar has dropped when it comes to expectation of quality in computer games in the last couple of years. Early Access has numbed what we have come to expect and in an industry where people offer loyalty to brands like it was water, everyone is all too keen to argue in defence of their 'brand' franchise. EA could make a good RTS game if they hired the right developers, gave it a fair budget, and allowed an experienced director to make the vision they want without interference. But, they choose not to. We would all prefer a solid standalone RTS, but when some cheap, micro-transaction riddled mobile game is given to us, we lap that shít up and say "Thank you, master!". Fúck that. We shouldn't be 'grateful' for a cynical cash-grab using nostalgia to get into your pocket, we should be laughing and seeing through their bullshít.

EA don't think they can make all the money from a standalone RTS so they won't make the game. So, we should be grateful to get something? Nah. Lets have some standards and call this stuff out, not lap it up like the zombie consumer EA believes we are.

Advertisement