Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did not expect Resi 2 to look like that... Really looking forward to giving that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks like Sony are back on their late PS2/early PS3 era bull****.

Was Resident Evil 2 the only game with a release date?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hmmm. Wasn't going to stay up so late, not something I can do with two kids now, but I was looking forward to seeing the Sony show. I actually thought that the format would be great, a deep dive on the biggest games sounds great. From the reactions over the last few pages, I'll just watch a recap or the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The whole show has been fairly low key. A lot of distant future releases. The pre E3 spoilers extinguish any excitement though in fairness.

Does it feel like this generation is beginning to wind down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Said to my nephew the other day all I wanted from E3 was updates and/or release date information on Resident Evil 2 and Shadows Die Twice. Got both so I'm happy. Looking forward to Nintendo later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The whole show has been fairly low key. A lot of distant future releases. The pre E3 spoilers extinguish any excitement though in fairness.

Does it feel like this generation is beginning to wind down?

It's taking so long, I can see Death Stranding being a PS5 launch title.

PlayStation Experience and Tokyo Game Show is where Sony generally announce most titles or give more info and release dates. I don't think they really care for E3 and only do it because it is expected of them.

Disappointed with Ghost of Tsushima.
    It looks amazing but I think I'll prefer the gameplay and vibe of Sekiro.

Watching the Last of Us 2 trailer makes me want to reply the first on the hardest difficulty.
    It looks like a huge leap over the original and a lot better than Uncharted 4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No final fantasy 7 remake? bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Thought e3 as a whole was fairly disappointing.

Too many games with either no release date or a date of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nintendo today is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nintendo today is it?

Yeah, today at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TLoU 2, ****ing brilliant.
    Resi 2, ****ing brilliant.
    Death Stranding, was never hyped for it but I really really want to play it now. Delivery man with partner who is a baby escaping things that can fast forward time, ****ing brilliant.
    Spiderman, ****ing brilliant. A Spidey PS4 Pro console would go lovely with it.

The E3 presentation, absolute shambles. So glad I didn't stay up for that. Highlight was the guy in the audience shouting at the screen DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! before realising the camera was beside him. Screen must have been giving people queues like stop clapping, quiet, ect.

Shyte conference, epic games.

Remedy's new game Control looks a lot like how quantum break played.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is Nioh 2 timed exclusive again or is it going straight to PC this time?

Saw someone on Twitter give the best description of the Sony E3 conference. I liked the content and gameplay that was shown, but the presentation and pacing of the conference itself was just very poor.

My main takeaways & opinions:
    - The Last Of Us 2 looks absolutely incredible, both graphically and in terms of gameplay. Plus I loved the story bits bookending the gameplay (read this morning that the other girl with Ellie is played by Shannon Woodward, who plays Elsie in Westworld).
    - Ghost of Tsushima I thought looked stunning. Definitely need to see more of the gameplay as it did feel a bit off in the presentation, but the style and tone of the game looked beautiful. Enjoyed it for the most part.
    - Death Stranding needed to show more in terms of gameplay. At this point, they really shouldn't show anything more until they have a proper gameplay demo or story trailer ready to go. I love Kojima's trailers, but the stuff he's doing would work for an established franchise. To get people really excited for a new franchise, he needs to show more.
    - Resident Evil 2 was one of the first PS1 games I owned, but I could never finish it. I was never a huge RE fan (never got the hype for RE4), but going to give this one a go. Looks brilliant.
    - Spider-Man is still looking great. I don't think the gameplay bits they've shown will be hugely indicative of the majority of the final gameplay, as they have to show big action pieces in gameplay demos rather than just swinging around the city which you'll be doing most of the time.
    - Control certainly looked interesting. Proper gameplay would need to be seen though, and to what extent you can use powers and how the gunplay works alongside it.
    - Trover Saves the Universe could be good fun provided it's relatively cheap. Love the humour of Rick and Morty and from the trailer. Don't imagine gameplay will be anything hectic or groundbreaking, but could just be a fun little game.

Overall, enough there to keep me happy anyway, and I'm sure we'll see more in conferences before the end of the year as Sony always hold stuff back for TGS & PSX. But just an awful setup to start off the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The E3 presentation, absolute shambles. So glad I didn't stay up for that. Highlight was the guy in the audience shouting at the screen DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! before realising the camera was beside him. Screen must have been giving people queues like stop clapping, quiet, ect.

Shyte conference, epic games.

I heard they were changing tents(why tents?) between the games sounds like the stupidest idea imaginable. If you do that pre record it then. :rolleyes:
    No real shocks at E3 so far. I genuinely think Bethesda & Squenix should not have had conferences/showcases. Microsoft had a great conference then, lent on 3rd partys a bit & Ubisoft did ok too imo(no Splinter Cell was a sickener tho).
    Thankfully Nintendo aren't where they were 10 years ago & you can look forward to their showing without worrying about a Wii Music thing.
    Hope Nintendo give Indies some love as I feel bar Tunic, a bit from EA and Devolver they have been noticeably absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The end of Resident Evil 2 was one of my gaming highlights. There was a boss battle, alarm blaring, clock counting down, beat boss, get on train, no power, get off train, frantic power switch search, find it, get back on train, train takes off and there's a loud crash at the back, go to investigate.... another boss. It was so frenetic.
    TLOU2 looked awesome but I just loved the first one so it would be hard for them to put out something I wouldn't be totally on board with.
    Where's Joel though seriously, where is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Have they finally announced a monster hunter world pc release date??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have they finally announced a monster hunter world pc release date??

Don’t think so but it’s probably February 22 2019. Everything else seems to be.

• Advertisement

Second Resident Evil 2 trailer released online. Most focused on some gameplay clips

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty poor performance from Sony. The format sucked, there wasn't the usual excitement you get at these press conferences.

A lot of what was shown is next year or multiplatform. Resi 2 is Capcom so will show up on everything. Nioh 2 will be coming to PC at the very least.

As for the others, they all seem a long way off. It seems to me the only big exclusive they have this year is Spiderman which looks good but not brilliant and kind of relies too heavily on rote game design like QTE.

On the other had Ghosts looks stunning but I'm not sure about the gameplay, Death Stranding has me still clueless about what it even is but I'm very interested and TLOU 2 looks incredible, game of the show so far.

The biggest disappointment though is From Software's VR game not being a mech sim :(

It's all on Nintendo now to show everyone up. I hope they show a lot of new creative games and rely heavily on Switch ports which is how most of 2018 has gone so far with a few excellent exceptions. Also Metroid Prime 4 would be a lovely way to cap of the show.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All Nintendo have to do is announce a price drop on the switch and then walk off stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nice.

Playstation should make some effort to say if games they show are multiplat instead of having everyone thinking they are exclusive.

https://twitter.com/WCGamingTweets/status/1006366902250364928?s=19

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty poor performance from Sony. The format sucked, there wasn't the usual excitement you get at these press conferences.

A lot of what was shown is next year or multiplatform. Resi 2 is Capcom so will show up on everything. Nioh 2 will be coming to PC at the very least.

As for the others, they all seem a long way off. It seems to me the only big exclusive they have this year is Spiderman which looks good but not brilliant and kind of relies too heavily on rote game design like QTE.

On the other had Ghosts looks stunning but I'm not sure about the gameplay, Death Stranding has me still clueless about what it even is but I'm very interested and TLOU 2 looks incredible, game of the show so far.

The biggest disappointment though is From Software's VR game not being a mech sim :(

It's all on Nintendo now to show everyone up. I hope they show a lot of new creative games and rely heavily on Switch ports which is how most of 2018 has gone so far with a few excellent exceptions. Also Metroid Prime 4 would be a lovely way to cap of the show.

New xenoblade game and a port of xenoblade x.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It seems to me the only big exclusive they have this year is Spiderman which looks good but not brilliant and kind of relies too heavily on rote game design like QTE.

To be fair, Sony traditionally put out their 1st party exclusives in the Spring. They leave the mutiplats have the autumn/winter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great e3 for the PC, as pretty much everything has been confirmed for a release alongside the console releases.

Kiith wrote: »
    Great e3 for the PC, as pretty much everything has been confirmed for a release alongside the console releases.

Including Red Dead?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Including Red Dead?

:(

• Advertisement

Dammit Kiith, you got my hopes up there :(

Advertisement