Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's just I seen him repeat the claim several times but any time I try looking it up, I can't find anything concrete on it.
    Its common knowledge at this stage. Why do you think a game like Tomb Raider would be a timed exclusive. They needed the cash injection and fast due to Crystal Dynamics poor financial situation.

Some say it was a deal with the devil but in the end it worked out for everyone evolved including gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They haven't really "lost" Yakuza to PC at all though - only 0 & Kiwami are announced for now. Sloppy seconds as they've been on PS4 for a while now :D

Once Sega get that Yakuza engine running on PC future games won't take so long to come to PC. Honestly think Yakuza was one of the best reasons to own a PS4 and now it's no longer exclusive.
    Doge wrote: »
    I first noticed it with the replays in the Gran Turismo Sport beta.

Amazingly realistic lighting, animation and motion.
    And despite the hardware limitations of the PS4 they still made it look more realistic than any PC Racing sim visually.

The Sony engineers really know how to push the platform. The PS4 is garbage hardware compared to PC these days but stuff like GoW and TLOU 2 look insane. I'd love if Digital Foundry got some of the lead tech engineers in for a deep dive. The managed to pull of miracles on the PS3, a lot of the tech they came up with has translated into other games. Stuff like deferred rendering engines and AA solutions.

Its common knowledge at this stage. Why do you think a game like Tomb Raider would be a timed exclusive. They needed the cash injection and fast due to Crystal Dynamics poor financial situation.

Some say it was a deal with the devil but in the end it worked out for everyone evolved including gamers.

Funny how no one has said that was the case, both parties have stressed that the decision was made as a result of MS support of the previous game and the commonly held belief is that MS recognising that they were lagging far behind in reasons for anyone to buy a One offered a ton of money to Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for a year-long exclusive. There wasn't a single piece of evidence outside of gamer theories about the deal being a necessity due to issues with financing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

One thing that has confused me is that the press conferences are all done as of tonight, but whenever I look up e3 it says June 12-14. Is this just when the exhibition stuff etc for attendees is on or something, or did they just switch dates and Google never caught it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Sony engineers really know how to push the platform. The PS4 is garbage hardware compared to PC these days but stuff like GoW and TLOU 2 look insane. I'd love if Digital Foundry got some of the lead tech engineers in for a deep dive. The managed to pull of miracles on the PS3, a lot of the tech they came up with has translated into other games. Stuff like deferred rendering engines and AA solutions.

There was a ballroom scene in Uncharted 4 where the sun was streaming down through windows into the crowd that was absolutely amazing looking. It was a brief break from endlessly jumping around cliffs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah there will be show floor stuff, interviews and a rake of small titles demoed and announced which is usually far more interesting than the triple A showboating.

Once Sega get that Yakuza engine running on PC future games won't take so long to come to PC. Honestly think Yakuza was one of the best reasons to own a PS4 and now it's no longer exclusive.

To be fair there's still plenty of exclusives that make the PS4 worth owning and much like with the Vita and PS3 even after the PS5 is out it'll most likely result in a whole slew of odder Japanese titles getting released.

What Sony can get out of the tech is astounding. Horizon on the Pro looks astounding and would melt most PCs. GoW is awe-inspiring, I only recently got a Pro and it's stunning to play but even on the base console it is gorgeous.

One thing that really struck me at E3 was the difference between first party titles. On the MS side all we saw were cinematics and if the footage of Crackdown 3 is an example of the final product then you have to wonder just what is taking it so long as it looks like a previous gen title, it looks like a Saints Row 3 expansion pack for the 360. Compare it to Spiderman, TLOU2 or the other Sony exclusives and the difference in quality is evident. Beyond Forza I don't think that Xbox has in any way pushed the One to see just what it can deliver.

They haven't really "lost" Yakuza to PC at all though - only 0 & Kiwami are announced for now. Sloppy seconds as they've been on PS4 for a while now :D

It is a big loss to PS4 though to lose that exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sure I was left with the impression that most of the stuff Xbox showed was exclusive stuff, it's not, other than the usual suspects Halo / Gears / Forza...

Seems even halo is PC bound also...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gears 5 was all in engine and showed gameplay. Halo Infinite was a demo of the new game engine and not a pre rendered cinematic either. Crackdown certainly didn't look great graphically though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Gears 5 was all in engine and showed gameplay. Halo Infinite was a demo of the new game engine and not a pre rendered cinematic. Crackdown certainly didn't look great graphically though.

Halo looked class, really like the way Halo 1 did when it was first shown....

Crackdown looked decent but did they really have to shoehorn Terry Crews in there?

It seemed so tacked onto what we had previously seen of the game...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fieldog wrote: »
    Sure I was left with the impression that most of the stuff Xbox showed was exclusive stuff, it's not, other than the usual suspects Halo / Gears / Forza...

Seems even halo is PC bound also...

It was announced over a year ago that all Xbox exclusives will launch on windows 10 going forward and a few months ago they also announced they'll all go straight into the game pass subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Crackdown looked decent but did they really have to shoehorn Terry Crews in there?

Yes. Yes they did. Terry is awesome and makes everything more Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The TGS has been much more interesting than E3 for the last couple of years, except for Nintendo traditionally skipping it, it usually reveals more release dates, niche games and has a few surprises thrown in.

Speaking of the TSG was Left Alive shown at all, it is due out this year but new information has been very scarce about it.

Halo looked class, really like the way Halo 1 did when it was first shown....

Terry is about the only thing that appeals to me about that game though I'm sure it might be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

So..... what the hell is death stranding?

I've a feeling we'll be just as confused at the end of the game! :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    I've a feeling we'll be just as confused at the end of the game! :pac:

I can't wait to fall asleep during the nonsensical, movie-length cutscenes…

Gears 5 was all in engine and showed gameplay. Halo Infinite was a demo of the new game engine and not a pre rendered cinematic either. Crackdown certainly didn't look great graphically though.

There was very little gameplay and when I mean cinematic I am referring to footage created using the engine that may not necessarily be gameplay footage. Gears 5 looks to have some nice lighting but graphically it looks a little meh. It seemed quite cartooney and hardly what I expected from the most powerful console on the market. Same for Halo, it that video is indicative of the finished product then it may disappoint. Compare TLOU2 or Spiderman to the videos for those games and they are a world apart. I think that so far Forza is the only Xbox title to really wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness to Crackdown, you're nearly always going to be limited graphically when going for a cel-shaded effect. Gears 5 looked great though imo.

What struck me is that they're calling it Gears 5 rather than Gears of War 5. I'm guessing that they're trying to go for a more personal story and focus on the character's journey rather than just "Have to defeat all the enemies to save the world" which I think could be a great move. As simple as the stories were in the first three games (never played Judgement or 4), they did have their moments in terms of story. Expanding on that could be the real kick the franchise needs.

To be fair there's still plenty of exclusives that make the PS4 worth owning and much like with the Vita and PS3 even after the PS5 is out it'll most likely result in a whole slew of odder Japanese titles getting released.

After 5 years I'd say the PS4 is only now worth a purchase. It's a far less enticing console than the PS3 and Vita were at a similar point in their life cycle. Was hoping for a better showing this year but then again the interesting stuff is coming on the showfloor, there's two new Atlus titles so hopefully there's a PS4 RPG from them using Unreal or the P5 engine.
    What Sony can get out of the tech is astounding. Horizon on the Pro looks astounding and would melt most PCs. GoW is awe-inspiring, I only recently got a Pro and it's stunning to play but even on the base console it is gorgeous.

The thing is Horizon wouldn't melt a PC but it looks like it should. The fact that GoW and Horizon look like that and run at a stable 30 fps is remarkable considering how poor the hardware they are running on is. They've really got some amazing engine developers at Sony.

• Advertisement

After 5 years I'd say the PS4 is only now worth a purchase. It's a far less enticing console than the PS3 and Vita were at a similar point in their life cycle. Was hoping for a better showing this year but then again the interesting stuff is coming on the showfloor, there's two new Atlus titles so hopefully there's a PS4 RPG from them using Unreal or the P5 engine.

I think that Sony have done great stuff this gen, the only issue I have is that lack of oddities from the East. The biggest issue with Sony is that they are at their best when motivated and with MS repeatedly dropping the ball this gen Sony have gotten a lil lax.
    The thing is Horizon wouldn't melt a PC but it looks like it should. The fact that GoW and Horizon look like that and run at a stable 30 fps is remarkable considering how poor the hardware they are running on is. They've really got some amazing engine developers at Sony.

Try and get a PC title to look as good as GoW or Horizon on the average PC, it's far harder that you would expect. I'd love to see the specs of a PC required to run Horizion Zero Dawn at the same quality as the PS4.

There was very little gameplay and when I mean cinematic I am referring to footage created using the engine that may not necessarily be gameplay footage. Gears 5 looks to have some nice lighting but graphically it looks a little meh. It seemed quite cartooney and hardly what I expected from the most powerful console on the market. Same for Halo, it that video is indicative of the finished product then it may disappoint. Compare TLOU2 or Spiderman to the videos for those games and they are a world apart. I think that so far Forza is the only Xbox title to really wow.

Halo looked pretty amazing to me, easily on par with God of war and the last of us, too soon to tell if that will be the case when we actually see the game which won't be for at least a year I'd say.

Gears5 just looked the same as gears 4 to me, no reason to think its not representative of the gameplay.

Just finished the Sony conference now and I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of PSVR content.

I hope it's not going the way of PS Vita.

They could have at least shown Blood & Truth, their in house full length VR game that is probably the most hyped game on the VR platform.

Try and get a PC title to look as good as GoW or Horizon on the average PC, it's far harder that you would expect. I'd love to see the specs of a PC required to run Horizion Zero Dawn at the same quality as the PS4.

Since the PS4 is pretty much x86000 hardware I'd say a PC with slightly better specs than a PS4 could run it no problem the same if it's optimised well.

You could brute force any game engine to look amazing on PC with enough raw power.

Getting a game optimised to look as good as the top Sony exclusives and to run so well takes real talent. I'd love to know whatever voodoo magic they are using.

The good thing about Sony tech is they release their methods through academic sources so the same optimisations they use in these games trickle out to the development community leading to better optimisation and techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Halo looked pretty amazing to me, easily on par with God of war and the last of us, too soon to tell if that will be the case when we actually see the game which won't be for at least a year I'd say.

Gears5 just looked the same as gears 4 to me, no reason to think its not representative of the gameplay.

Halo looked great but until its seen running on an Xbox or PC, its way to soon to really comment on its graphics. E3 presentations (Ubisoft) are well known for showing off insane looking games graphically which look nothing close to the finished product.

Gear's really needs a revamp at this stage, as the whole enter an area and shoot enemies while hiding behind conveniently placed cover and then repeat for rest of the game lark has gotten old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

E3 has just brought home to me they I need to dump my Xbox one x and buy a ps4 pro.
    Any so-called Xbox exclusive will be on PC.
    The only console games that really interest me are all on ps4. Stupid Microsoft. I love the Xbox platform but Sony are really bringing those exclusives home.

Blazer wrote: »
    E3 has just brought home to me they I need to dump my Xbox and buy a ps4 pro.
    Any so-called Xbox exclusive will be on PC.
    The only console games that really interest me are all on ps4. Stupid Microsoft. I love the Xbox platform but Sony are really bringing those exclusives home.

I said it last year, a Gaming PC and PS4 is the way to go for gaming at the moment. And a switch if you're that way inclined! :pac:

Halo Infinite looks quite poor to me, some nice work no doubt but not close to the same league as TLOU 2 or GoW. Maybe when optimized it'll look better but beyond Forza none of MS first party titles this gen has blown me away to the level that Sony's have.
    Since the PS4 is pretty much x86000 hardware I'd say a PC with slightly better specs than a PS4 could run it no problem the same if it's optimised well.

You could brute force any game engine to look amazing on PC with enough raw power.

Getting a game optimised to look as good as the top Sony exclusives and to run so well takes real talent. I'd love to know whatever voodoo magic they are using.

The good thing about Sony tech is they release their methods through academic sources so the same optimisations they use in these games trickle out to the development community leading to better optimisation and techniques.

My point was that it's the sheer brilliance of the devs that make the game look so good, there's no title on PC running on a sub 1,500 euro rig that looks as good as Horizon or GoW. We all know that with a PC you can make anything look amazing once you have enough power but the thing is that the PS4 is less powerful than most budget PC builds and yet Sony devs can deliver an experience that many higher end PCs would envy. I have a gaming rig alongside the consoles and very few games look as good as Horizon, less so when you try to run them in 4K and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Was there any detail offered on the From Software PSVR game?
    I would like to invest in the PSVR but I'd need to know whether this is a full game experience or just a mini game.

• Advertisement

Imagine what they could do if the consoles didn't have potato CPUs.

Advertisement