Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Console devs definitely deserve a lot of credit for pushing the hardware they have to make amazing looking games. I do wish PC devs had to do the same, but they tend to just push the hardware requirements instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I thought the sony conference was... odd.

The only reason I can think of for having that weird tent is that someone high up at sony knows some one that rents weird tents.

The intermission was awful. They should've just had trailers for multiplatform and indie stuff but instead we got some vapid interviews that were trying to fill as much time as they could.

Loved pretty much all the games they did show though. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of release dates. Wasn't expecting one for tlou2 but not even a year for ghost of tsushima was surprising.

Now that Kingdom Hearts 3 is finally coming out I'm guessing that FFVII remake has taken up the mantle of being in development hell. It's an episodic remake and they had nothing to show :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Gyan84 wrote: »

The only reason I can think of for having that weird tent is that someone high up at sony knows some one that rents weird tents.

The intermission was awful. They should've just had trailers for multiplatform and indie stuff but instead we got some vapid interviews that were trying to fill as much time as they could.

Loved pretty much all the games they did show though. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of release dates. Wasn't expecting one for tlou2 but not even a year for ghost of tsushima was surprising.

Now that Kingdom Hearts 3 is finally coming out I'm guessing that FFVII remake has taken up the mantle of being in development hell. It's an episodic remake and they had nothing to show :confused:

The show needed a lot of filler to hide the lack of games.

I did like the opening but I think they should have stayed in that setting and not go all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kiith wrote: »
    Console devs definitely deserve a lot of credit for pushing the hardware they have to make amazing looking games. I do wish PC devs had to do the same, but they tend to just push the hardware requirements instead.

The requirements increase more than the games look better, unfortunately. Cool game-changing features like real-time picture-in-picture (Swat 4), multi-monitor maps (Supreme Commander) are practically non existent. They can't even do split screen these days because it's apparently too taxing. 8th gen might be pushing the limits within their own ecosystem and hardware but their net value is a bottleneck to the industry in the graphics technology side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Was there any detail offered on the From Software PSVR game?
    I would like to invest in the PSVR but I'd need to know whether this is a full game experience or just a mini game.

Nothing was shown at the conference but the reveal trailer was put out on their channel:

I think they've stealth released trailers for psvr that haven't been shown in the main conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gyan84 wrote: »

The first place they were replicated the first scene of Ellie in TLOU2, down to the architecture and lighting. I get why they did it artistically, but they should have either kept all there, or filmed that part of the show even just 15 minutes earlier so as to cut out the intermission. Just go truly live after TLOU section had finished. Or, rather than announce some smaller games and the Days Gone release date trailer in the days leading up to E3, they could have used those to fill the gap while everyone moved from one place to the other.

The transition from the first stage into TLOU2 was brilliant, but what they needed to do to achieve that in terms of sacrificing time from their showcase and having to fill it in with an intermission just wasn't worth it. It was very badly executed.

Penn wrote: »
    The first place they were replicated the first scene of Ellie in TLOU2, down to the architecture and lighting. I get why they did it artistically, but they should have either kept all there, or filmed that part of the show even just 15 minutes earlier so as to cut out the intermission. Just go truly live after TLOU section had finished. Or, rather than announce some smaller games and the Days Gone release date trailer in the days leading up to E3, they could have used those to fill the gap while everyone moved from one place to the other.

The transition from the first stage into TLOU2 was brilliant, but what they needed to do to achieve that in terms of sacrificing time from their showcase and having to fill it in with an intermission just wasn't worth it. It was very badly executed.

I just watched the trailers from the conferences, well that's a lie as I did watch Devolvers one as they are about the only publisher who can put on a show. I think that we will see way more from Sony over the coming months as for the past number of years E3 has been nothing of note to them, they love showcasing games at PE and TGS and just using E3 to show where they are with a couple of big titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nothing new on Red Dead 2 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nothing new on Red Dead 2 no?

Nope.

Was disappointed to see nothing from Rocksteady at this point. Even just an announce trailer for whatever they've been working on (whether it's the supposed Superman game or something new). Been three years since Arkham Knight.

Actually, no sign of Mortal Kombat either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My point was that it's the sheer brilliance of the devs that make the game look so good, there's no title on PC running on a sub 1,500 euro rig that looks as good as Horizon or GoW.
    That's not necessarily true - bitcoin mining ramped up prices a f***tonne on graphics cards but they are going back to normal. You could probably do a decent set up for €800-900 to run on 4K (Ryzen 1600, 8GB or 16GB RAM, HDD as I don't think the PS4 uses SSD(?), GTX 1070 TI).

Of course that doesn't include a monitor and peripherals but I wouldn't include a 4K TV into the cost of a XB1X or PS4Pro either. All that said though, they do still cost a good deal less than a PC would cost at that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Didn’t realise Resident Evil 2 is multiplatform from launch. Nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is it really worth buying a ps4 pro, if you're only going to play the handful of exclusives on it? I might finally do what I've long been threatening and buy a ps4 this year to check out what I've missed - namely God of War, Horizon, Bloodborne and The Last of Us. If I got a new ps4 for about 250,
    I'm not sure the pro justifies the extra 150?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Is it really worth buying a ps4 pro, if you're only going to play the handful of exclusives on it? I might finally do what I've long been threatening and buy a ps4 this year to check out what I've missed - namely God of War, Horizon, Bloodborne and The Last of Us. If I got a new ps4 for about 250,
    I'm not sure the pro justifies the extra 150?

If you're only playing exclusives maybe not. I don't see why you wouldn't play some multiplatform games on it either though, games like AC: Origins and others play incredibly well on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Well worth it for Horizon Zero Dawn & Last of Us alone. Could easily play the 2 of them and sell on the PS4 for little loss if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true - bitcoin mining ramped up prices a f***tonne on graphics cards but they are going back to normal. You could probably do a decent set up for €800-900 to run on 4K (Ryzen 1600, 8GB or 16GB RAM, HDD as I don't think the PS4 uses SSD(?), GTX 1070 TI).

Of course that doesn't include a monitor and peripherals but I wouldn't include a 4K TV into the cost of a XB1X or PS4Pro either. All that said though, they do still cost a good deal less than a PC would cost at that performance.

8th gen costs more over time because of game prices, subscription service and version upgrades (compared to modular upgrades) than a PC. They have lower initial cost but they bleed the difference out eventually. I think people are over-appreciating the graphics of a lot of 8th gen titles. Many of them are 30fps locked (with drops) and on set-hardware (which means higher standards for graphics/performance) and have completely standard amount of NPCs and action on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If you're only playing exclusives maybe not. I don't see why you wouldn't play some multiplatform games on it either though, games like AC: Origins and others play incredibly well on it too.

Sorry, have a one x already, so more power for multiplatforms and I prefer the controller on that too, so the ps4 would be strictly single player exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I can still hold out hope that Bluepoint are working on the Demon's Souls re-master :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

so the ps4 would be strictly single player exclusives.

It's worth it, wouldn't bother with the pro though.

Add Ratchet and Clank, Journey and The Order (don't pay more than a tenner) to your list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

maximoose wrote: »

Add Ratchet and Clank, Journey and The Order (don't pay more than a tenner) to your list!

Until Dawn too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maximoose wrote: »

The order is a terrible game. Get Tearaway and Gravity Rush instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well the Sony one was disappointing, I mean TLOU2 looked AMAZING. That smile right before the title-crash end was heartbreaking 'cos you've never seen Ellie smile like that and you know it's just gonna go so bad.

I know what Sony were doing, most of their other games were already covered in the Microsoft presentation (Not a burn, just a fact). So they said, right, let's focus on a few games. I don't think it worked though. I think they should have put in maybe two more games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

8th gen costs more over time because of game prices, subscription service and version upgrades (compared to modular upgrades) than a PC. They have lower initial cost but they bleed the difference out eventually. I think people are over-appreciating the graphics of a lot of 8th gen titles. Many of them are 30fps locked (with drops) and on set-hardware (which means higher standards for graphics/performance) and have completely standard amount of NPCs and action on screen.
    That's also quite true, I do love my free online gaming! At a 5yr lifespan, that's probably a what, €300-350 in the difference made back?

Also as you said upgrades can be considered as I believe an original ps4 can still rub all the games perfectly fine (albeit at 1080). However at that point you would be comparing it to a 1080p PC which can be done for comfortably below 500 if you're looking at matching console quality graphics. I only built my first in 2016 but imagine 2013 would if anything have been cheaper again for PC's before gpu and ram costs shot up.

And -wild guess here since I don't have the eye for detail to appreciate 4K enough to justify it- I think a ryzen 1600 and 1070 TI might be able to outperform a 4K console for fps and going higher on settings than the consoles could?

For me though, the component upgrades and having your back catalogue forever (or until Steam screw us all over in 2031) are the huge bonuses for PC, plus the HTPC build I incorporated into mine (using Kodi because I am a big of a sucker for the ps/xbox GUIs as opposed to a boring old desktop look).

All that said however, a lot of people are unaware of those savings you mentioned and only look at the bottom line upon purchase. Even a good few people who are aware of them are the same, so to each their own really.

Sorry, have a one x already, so more power for multiplatforms and I prefer the controller on that too, so the ps4 would be strictly single player exclusives.

If you're only going to use it for exclusives, I wouldn't bother with the Pro. HDR is still available on the Slim and that'll make the biggest difference in terms of graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Get yourself a cheap second hand one if you only want the exclusives. Nioh might be of interest to you as well, though I realise this is on PC also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nintendo to go. Though I don't have high hopes for it. I have PS4 and PC as well as the Switch and I'm not a Smash or Pokémon player.
    I am hoping for some Metroid Prime 4 though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's also quite true, I do love my free online gaming! At a 5yr lifespan, that's probably a what, €300-350 in the difference made back?

Also as you said upgrades can be considered as I believe an original ps4 can still rub all the games perfectly fine (albeit at 1080). However at that point you would be comparing it to a 1080p PC which can be done for comfortably below 500 if you're looking at matching console quality graphics. I only built my first in 2016 but imagine 2013 would if anything have been cheaper again for PC's before gpu and ram costs shot up.

And -wild guess here since I don't have the eye for detail to appreciate 4K enough to justify it- I think a ryzen 1600 and 1070 TI might be able to outperform a 4K console for fps and going higher on settings than the consoles could?

For me though, the component upgrades and having your back catalogue forever (or until Steam screw us all over in 2031) are the huge bonuses for PC, plus the HTPC build I incorporated into mine (using Kodi because I am a big of a sucker for the ps/xbox GUIs as opposed to a boring old desktop look).

All that said however, a lot of people are unaware of those savings you mentioned and only look at the bottom line upon purchase. Even a good few people who are aware of them are the same, so to each their own really.

Ah, it's all each to their own really.

You want the best graphics with the best framerate? Go PC all the way.

You want a box that can comfortably sit under your tv without your tech illiterate family wrecking your head about it? Get a console.

All of them have upsides and downsides, and it depends on the person. I'd love a high powered PC, and can afford it, but it doesn't fit in with my life right now. An Xbox One X, on the other hand, does.

Quick Edit: Ha, when I read you post I missed your last line of "Each to their own", and then went and I started my post with it. I'll leave it there anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Nintendo to go. Though I don't have high hopes for it. I have PS4 and PC as well as the Switch and I'm not a Smash or Pokémon player.
    I am hoping for some Metroid Prime 4 though.

Nintendo always have surprises. They can pull out a major new title and say it's out in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What'd this e3 conference in 6 hours I see. The start of the actual show or another conference?

Sadly always feels like e3 is over when the conferences end. Even tho plenty of games out there still to be revealed. Guess the big hitters already made their debut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo will have their work cut out trying to top the game of the show so far: Metal Wolf Chaos

Advertisement