Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Saw this comment yesterday and was going to disagree but couldn't remember which game it was, the one with Raiden or the previous one. So I wiki'd it and saw it was the Raiden one. Read the plot & despite completing it several times couldn't remember it.

Youtubed some of the boss battles, Christ they looked painful. Remembered them vaguely, some Russian chick and a fat guy on roller-skates. It's funny how you remember things fondly when they don't really deserve it.
    I do remember fighting a boss helicopter which was awesome.......or at least I think it was awesome

This is a tremendous breakdown of the narrative of MGS2 and what Kojima was trying to do - http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/

In short, it's essentially supposed to be both a replication and inversion of your experience in MGS1, designed to break your link to Snake and expectations from the first game, and experience the game as the player rather than the character.

I don't disagree with Retro that the execution was poor (I wouldn't go so far as to call it garbage), but some of the ideas behind the game, both in gameplay and narrative, were well beyond most of what was happening in gaming at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS2 really does have some great ideas but my god the writing is awful. There's been plenty of retrospectives about how forward thinking Kojima was with his ideas but they mostly fail to mention the absolute garbage that is the Jack/Rose love story, interminably long codex calls, god awful bomb disposal plot and that scene where octacon cries. I played through it recently as well and its not really that fun to play either.

It's more interesting than it is a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGS2 really does have some great ideas but my god the writing is awful. There's been plenty of retrospectives about how forward thinking Kojima was with his ideas but they mostly fail to mention the absolute garbage that is the Jack/Rose love story, interminably long codex calls, god awful bomb disposal plot and that scene where octacon cries. I played through it recently as well and its not really that fun to play either.

It's more interesting than it is a good game.

The first part is great. Snake on a boat. Then they blindside you with a guy that skipped puberty.

Rory28 wrote: »
    The first part is great. Snake on a boat. Then they blindside you with a guy that skipped puberty.

God I still remember the disappointment. We used to rent zone of the enders from xtravision to play the mgs2 demo disc. Couldn't wait to get past where the demo ended. When you started as raiden we were like wtf is this crap, where's snake! And it got worse from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sorry lads if ye didn't enjoy chasing a fat fella on roller skates around a helipad with a can of hairspray there is something badly wrong with ye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sorry lads if ye didn't enjoy chasing a fat fella on roller skates around a helipad with a can of hairspray there is something badly wrong with ye.

I actually liked that boss fight :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MGS2 really ****ed with my head and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, MGS 3 I loved, that and the first one on ps1 have a special place in my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Sieghardt wrote: »

How has Bushido Blade never come back?

Thank you! I've been trying to remember the name of that game since seeing the Ghosts... video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Funny i never had an issue with Raiden in MGS2 or the game as a whole although the codex are ridiculous. 3 for me was the pinnacle of the series.
    Most recently ive played through it on the Vita which was a fantastic gaming experience, such epicness on the go.
    Hard to know what way death stranding will go. I really dont have the patience for Kojimas boloxology so if its full if self indulgent nonsense, ill be taking a pass on it.

Wish they would do a modern version of that game.

The developer ****ed up the sequel and now squaresoft own the IP and the developer is making licensed stuff like Hello Kitty games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They didn't show really anything of it on the main stage but they've some details up on Dreams

Considering what people did with LBP I can see some insane things being done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I have the MGS HD collection at home and I've really struggled to adapt to the old style controls. Tried very hard to get into it multiple times but gave up in frustration each time. I have Metal Gear Rising and Phantom Pain which I'll probably try soon. Given they're more modern I'm hoping I can get into them more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I have the MGS HD collection at home and I've really struggled to adapt to the old style controls. Tried very hard to get into it multiple times but gave up in frustration each time. I have Metal Gear Rising and Phantom Pain which I'll probably try soon. Given they're more modern I'm hoping I can get into them more.

The controls are horrendously dated at this stage. I completed 2 and 3 on the Vita. 3 is definitely the superior game but I didn't mind 2 either. The script is pure bolloxology and the codex can last an eternity but gave me them over the interminable cutscenes that made me give up on 4 - at least I could read through the codex quickly. I did really like the fourth wall breaking in 2 but I'll be honest, I don't remember a lot of the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I actually liked that boss fight :D

You would need a heart of stone not to.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MSG1 is really awful to play these days. It hasn't aged well at all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MGS2 really ****ed with my head and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, MGS 3 I loved, that and the first one on ps1 have a special place in my heart.
    3 was when it went a bit off the rails for me. The crazy sniper boss fight that took forever etc.

1 and 2 I loved, completed loads of times. I never finished 3, 4 or 5.

awec wrote: »
    3 was when it went a bit off the rails for me. The crazy sniper boss fight that took forever etc.

That's one of the greatest boss fights of all time. A true sniper battle. Took me over an hour the first time I played it, and loved every minute of it.

I get why some people may not have liked it, but it really was the culmination of everything you'd done and learned up to that point, as soon after that you spend more time out of the jungle environments and it's easier to get proper food rather than having to kill and eat animals. A true test of stealth and patience too, as he could very quickly take you out.

Disagree totally. The controls are a little too complicated but that game has aged like a fine wine. Still loads of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It takes a fair bit to get use to but worth playing again, easily the best in the series and still one of the best games ever made, on release it was miles ahead of its time. Raiden ruined 2 which was still fun in parts, 3 was excellent, 4 had a garbage story with the odd bit of good gamplay on the rare times it let you play the game. 5 is fun to dip in and out off but the story is absolute garbarge.

Don't forget MGS Ghost Babel on Gameboy, which is the secret best metal gear solid game and really does not get enough love. Also the real MGSV, Peace Walker is fantastic.

• Advertisement

Bit Disappointed with what Atlus announced. Catherine Full Body, great game but I've finished it already but if you haven't the game deserves far more exposure.

The other 2 are 2 Persona dancing games. While I'm sure they are as good as the last one I'd have liked to have seen more of Shin Megami Tensei V on switch. They are probably saving that for TGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Penn wrote: »
    That's one of the greatest boss fights of all time. A true sniper battle. Took me over an hour the first time I played it, and loved every minute of it.

I remember beating The End fairly easily, and I couldn’t figure out why it was taking my friends so long to finish.

Somehow I managed to sneak up on him (a complete fluke). I was being a chicken and sneaking around the map, trying to get to a good vantage point.

Played the game more recently on the 3DS. What a glorious game. I’ll second Penn in that it was a great boss battle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

1 and 2 I loved, completed loads of times. I never finished 3, 4 or 5.

Adjust the in game clock........sorted ;)
    Disagree totally. The controls are a little too complicated but that game has aged like a fine wine. Still loads of fun.

That twist at the end when you find out
    Master Miller was actually Liquid
    fecking hell my stomach did somersaults!

Cam Clarke needs to do more videogame work.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In MGS 3 you could take out The End by messing with your Playstations clock and outting it forward or there was another way, when you see him surrounded by guards on the docks (I think), if you were quick enough you could take him out there and then and you wouldn't face him in the Jungle.

Of course it was far more rewarding engaging in a battle of wit but it was a true bas*ard of a boss battle. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    In MGS 3 you could take out The End by messing with your Playstations clock and outting it forward or there was another way, when you see him surrounded by guards on the docks (I think), if you were quick enough you could take him out there and then and you wouldn't face him in the Jungle.

Of course it was far more rewarding engaging in a battle of wit but it was a true bas*ard of a boss battle. :o

I tried taking him out on the docks on one playthrough but missed and he hauled ass out of there.

But yeah, it was always a pleasure doing that boss fight. Even knowing how to do it, the spots he usually was and even using the Konami code, I always found it enjoyable. Unlike some of the other boss fights in that game. F*cking Fury....

Biomutant wasn't at E3?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yahtzee sums up E3 quite well.

Advertisement