Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony's next reveal is that Days Gone is out February 22nd 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

J. Marston wrote: »
    With Fortnite's success, buying console exclusivity for PUBG seems like another misstep, in hindsight.

100% agree with this, Fortnite was the first Battle Royale game to hit PS4 I believe at a time when Battle Royale was all the rage on social media. Combine that with the fact PS4 I believe has outsold Xbox One 2:1, and it was a bad deal for PUBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Pubg looks waaay more appealing to me than Fortnite. Saying that I played H1Z1 recently and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Benzino wrote: »
    100% agree with this, Fortnite was the first Battle Royale game to hit PS4 I believe at a time when Battle Royale was all the rage on social media. Combine that with the fact PS4 I believe has outsold Xbox One 2:1, and it was a bad deal for PUBG.

It's only a timed exclusive with Xbox as far as I know so it will likely be coming to PS4, but by then with Fortnite already having such a strong foothold and so many other Battle Royale games coming out, PUBG might be old hat by that stage.

If anything, it might be a better move on Microsoft's part to pump more money into PUBG, make it a full exclusive and help get the game to a properly finished standard with more maps, weapons, modes etc. Try to make it the Battle Royale game again and a console exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Pubg looks waaay more appealing to me than Fortnite. Saying that I played H1Z1 recently and hated it.

H1Z1 is between thos two games for me,it doesnt do anything particularly well imo.

One thing it does have is a quicker circle for those who like quick rounds. Other than that i cant really see any reason to play it over either PUBG or Fortnite.

Personally PUBG is the only BR game i like. Gutted were still waiting for it on PS but lookimg at the performance on Xbox it might be better to wait.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    It's only a timed exclusive with Xbox as far as I know so it will likely be coming to PS4, but by then with Fortnite already having such a strong foothold and so many other Battle Royale games coming out, PUBG might be old hat by that stage.

If anything, it might be a better move on Microsoft's part to pump more money into PUBG, make it a full exclusive and help get the game to a properly finished standard with more maps, weapons, modes etc. Try to make it the Battle Royale game again and a console exclusive.

That's it really, sometimes getting there first is all the matters.

In saying that, the attention Fortnite has gotten is ridiculous and unprecedented in my opinion. Was at a wedding recently and numerous people, from age 5 to 40ish were all doing the flossing dance, which I was informed is a Fortnite thing. Guess it helps when you have engine that is so good you can spend time working on silly things like that rather than worrying about performance, as Fortnite runs great compared to PUBG.

In saying that, the attention Fortnite has gotten is ridiculous and unprecedented in my opinon. Was at a wedding recently and numerous people, from age 5 to 40ish were all doing the flossing dance, which I was informed is a Fortnite thing. Guess it helps when you have engine that is so good you can spend time working on silly things like that rather than trying to get it running smoothly.

I was at a work related conference where the speaker was talking about energy demands on houses, and said "...in the evenings when you have your sons upstairs with TV and Playstation and internet all going playing Fortnite..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

In saying that, the attention Fortnite has gotten is ridiculous and unprecedented in my opinon. Was at a wedding recently and numerous people, from age 5 to 40ish were all doing the flossing dance, which I was informed is a Fortnite thing. Guess it helps when you have engine that is so good you can spend time working on silly things like that rather than trying to get it running smoothly.

In its defense, Fortnite runs pretty darn smoothly, sure you hit the odd annoying bug/glitch, but its pretty rare.

Now PUBG, thats a game that needs some serious smoothing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2018-press-conference-schedule-for-nintendo-son/1100-6458180/

Devolver Digital have their own slot apparently. I like their stuff

nix wrote: »
    In its defense, Fortnite runs pretty darn smoothly, sure you hit the odd annoying bug/glitch, but its pretty rare.

Now PUBG, thats a game that needs some serious smoothing :p

Oh yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. Epic don't need to do much performance improvements for Fortnite as it seems rock solid any time I play it. Hence why they can afford more time on adding silly dances and what not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

awec wrote: »

OK the world destroying stuff looks kind of fun... for like 15 minutes... but am I missing something with this game? From what I've seen it just looks so uninspiring for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair to Microsoft, PUBG console exclusivity was the safest bet in the world at the time. I mean it was clearly a ‘here’s a successful thing, let’s buy it up’ cynical sort of thing (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have all done it to varying degrees) but it was a coup. Arguably foolish on PUBG Corp for not realising the benefits of multi-platform releasing, but MS played the game they have to play.

PUBG is still the obviously better game in terms of flow and feel, but as unprecedented as Fortnite’s success has been is it not surprising with hindsight. It runs great (PUBG on xbox still has major problems AFAIK, and even on PC it’s hardly a masterclass in optimisation), it’s free to play, it’s cross platform, and it has an actual art style and character (as blandly cartoonish as it may be, it’s still ten times more distinctive than the even more blandly ‘realistic’ PUBG art design that makes me question if they have an art department at all), it’s more universally appealing and more ‘family friendly’ (well, as much as a shooter can be). That said, still think MS made a sensible decision backing PUBG... it’s more PUBG’s developers themselves who helped pave the way for a cannier competitor to come in and steal the glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Penn wrote: »
    I was at a work related conference where the speaker was talking about energy demands on houses, and said "...in the evenings when you have your sons upstairs with TV and Playstation and internet all going playing Fortnite..."
    I'm working a temp admin job in Tusla and have seen multiple reports about Fortnite come in over the last few months. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2018-press-conference-schedule-for-nintendo-son/1100-6458180/

Devolver Digital have their own slot apparently. I like their stuff

Nice one. Hopefully they'll be giving SCUM a bit of an airing. Another survival game (boo), but they're really going in depth with character stats and skill sets etc. Goes far beyond mere cosmetic customisation, and I wish more developers would do this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Think people forget Fortnite was not originally designed as a BR game. The campaign was supposed to be the highlight but they decided to drop in a BR mode as it was so popular at the time.

Iirc the game/engine was in development for close to 5 years before we saw it,way longer than Bluehole has had with PUBG. Also its also Epics engine,so ot woupdnt look good if they couldnt get it to run well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Seriously, I think a lot of PS4 and PC people are missing what's going on with PUBG on Xbox. It's fundamentally broken. The developers that they brought in made a series of mistakes on day one and are now further away from a functional game than ever, and that's after months of "Early Access". Despite all the sales, players are moving on because it's unplayable.

Even if they released it at the same time as on PS4, which they couldn't anyway because Sony don't allow early access type stuff, it'd be just as terrible there. This game is months, if not years away from being "fixed" on console.

Contrasting the development with the mobile version is night and day, and that's down to the quality of the developers that they're using. Hell, the console developer is only staffing up now, months after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CatInABox wrote: »
    Seriously, I think a lot of PS4 and PC people are missing what's going on with PUBG on Xbox. It's fundamentally broken. The developers that they brought in made a series of mistakes on day one and are now further away from a functional game than ever, and that's after months of "Early Access". Despite all the sales, players are moving on because it's unplayable.

Even if they released it at the same time as on PS4, which they couldn't anyway because Sony don't allow early access type stuff, it'd be just as terrible there. This game is months, if not years away from being "fixed" on console.

Contrasting the development with the mobile version is night and day, and that's down to the quality of the developers that they're using. Hell, the console developer is only staffing up now, months after release.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

J. Marston wrote: »
    <Life of Black Tiger video snipped so as not to annoy people>

Ahhhahahaha, I forgot about that game, that's truly bizarre. I mean, why allow something so obviously ***** and not allow an early access program?

Crackdown 3 officially delayed until February 2019. It's place in the release schedule has been replaced by tumbleweed, slowly tumbling forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ahhhahahaha, I forgot about that game, that's truly bizarre. I mean, why allow something so obviously ***** and not allow an early access program?

Oh....you think LoBT is bad?

Only on the US PSN but...wow this **** is terrible. And yes....that is also an official PlayStation account video!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how did those games make it to the PS4, they look like the usual shovelware you would find on an Indiegala bundle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    how did those games make it to the PS4, they look like the usual shovelware you would find on an Indiegala bundle?

Apparently it's a case of somebody knowing some one high up the ladder in Sony according to Jim sterling. He got that info from a source in Sony.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Black Tiger looks magical.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They showed two different modes over the last two years. Can't remember which was which but one was story mode and the other was some other game mode, one had full destruction and the other didn't.

Meant to come back on this earlier, but the destructible environments are only on the multiplayer side of things. It's all run on the servers, so the single player obviously doesn't have any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Meant to come back on this earlier, but the destructible environments are only on the multiplayer side of things. It's all run on the servers, so the single player obviously doesn't have any of that.

That's what it was. It's disengenous to say the destruction had been scaled back. It was addressed post E3 last year.

Yeah I'm sure the single player will have some level of destruction, maybe even more than most games, just not the "buildings collapsing" level of destruction in the multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Black Tiger is a bit of a d1ck. He just going around fcukin sh1t up

In fairness, they screwed themselves over with all the talk about the "power of the cloud" back when it was first shown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In fairness, they screwed themselves over with all the talk about the "power of the cloud" back when it was first shown.

Yeah that's gone completely out the window. It's up there with Sony's 'emotion engine' bull**** but not as 'fondly' remembered.

It always seemed like a load of ****e to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I feel its a make or break year for microsoft tbh. They've been making all the right moves, game pass, play anywhere, accessibility controllers, the most powerful home console, yet it still seems that they're struggling to really make back any ground at all on the competitors.The ripples of the launch of the XB1 5 years ago are still being felt IMO, it was a devastating misstep from a company that was on top of the world.
    Despite having all the above going for them, and being the console where third party games look best, The emphasis is now being placed on the lack of genuine 'must have' exclusives. I've had all of the xboxes through the years, and while I'm happy enough to play another Halo / gears or forza, there's nothing new and fresh in the Vein of Nier: Automata, Ni-oh, Yakuza, Bloodborne etc.

Advertisement