Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

AidenL wrote: »
    Now that I’m finally connected, I’d like to thank MartinL and all the crew in Airwire for their assistance and great personal attention.

Martin even called me this evening at 7pm to check how the install went and to see if I had any queries.

Now that IS great service.

I’d highly recommend Airwire as your ISP - as with all in life, you get what you pay for.

yes I was in touch with Martin from airwire for prices and info - sounds like a decent fella alright

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have 2 Martins.

So you never know, if you get the german or the dane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

AidenL wrote: »
    Now that I’m finally connected, I’d like to thank MartinL and all the crew in Airwire for their assistance and great personal attention.

Martin even called me this evening at 7pm to check how the install went and to see if I had any queries.

Now that IS great service.

I’d highly recommend Airwire as your ISP - as with all in life, you get what you pay for.

Would second this, had a few issues with ping and download rates but all sorted in relatively short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

We have 2 Martins.

So you never know, if you get the german or the dane :)

That explains a lot lol

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

fritzelly wrote: »
    That explains a lot lol

Actually not. I'm the Dane.

• Advertisement

your a great dane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’ve been to Denmark, visiting the Grundfos head office.

Great country, lovely people. I was treated really well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

m99T wrote: »
    Anyone know what auth for EAP the Eir_Wifi guest AP uses?

For anyone wondering about this:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/eirWiFiTermsandConditions.pdf

It is PEAP.

Swear im not using neighbouring guest wifi as faillover wifi in my house or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Hi, so if you have existing FTTH with Eir and switch from Eir to another provider is it necessary for OpenEir/KN to physically come into house to provide switch over?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi, so if you have existing FTTH with Eir and switch from Eir to another provider is it necessary for OpenEir/KN to physically come into house to provide switch over?

If its an active line: No. That's done electronically.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is a 'connection fee' usually charged if changing from one provider to another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Biker Tommy

Hi,

I upgrade to 300mb a few weeks ago from 150mb on eir and today I noticed the usage details were gone from myeir. Does this mean the FUP no longer applies to me. This would be great as the last two I came very close to going over the 1tb allowance, Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Swear im not using neighbouring guest wifi as faillover wifi in my house or anything.
    There are worse things you can get up to with neighbouring wifi. :pac:

Is a 'connection fee' usually charged if changing from one provider to another ?

Well .. that depends on the provider, but as you can see, Eir now charge the "activation fee". That's where they really shot themselves in the foot.

Other providers deal differently with that.

/M

Hi,

I upgrade to 300mb a few weeks ago from 150mb on eir and today I noticed the usage details were gone from myeir. Does this mean the FUP no longer applies to me. This would be great as the last two I came very close to going over the 1tb allowance, Thanks in advance.

this makes me think now about this one. If you have changed to 300mb and the FUP no longer applies , what you really want to make sure is if they have contracted you into another 12 or 18 month contract - so you are prohibited from going to another provider for your broadband/fibre until the 12 or 18 months are up (unless you pay an exit fee) . ... and i might be wrong but 'unlimited' and 'Fair usage Policy' can be 2 different things. If your unlimited now with no cap ... there is normally still a FUP in place - but correct me if I am wrong someone

Hi,

The only ones that can tell you that are Eir themselves.

Your usage stats being gone is not a good indicator. They screwed the usage stats pages up for lots of existing customers, when they changed the packages, so that people, who indeed are limited, can't see their usage anymore.
    this makes me think now about this one. If you have changed to 300mb and the FUP no longer applies , what you really want to make sure is if they have contracted you into another 12 or 18 month contract - so you are prohibited from going to another provider for your broadband/fibre until the 12 or 18 months are up (unless you pay an exit fee) . ... and i might be wrong but 'unlimited' and 'Fair usage Policy' can be 2 different things. If your unlimited now with no cap ... there is normally still a FUP in place - but correct me if I am wrong someone

FUP still applies as per terms and conditions, they've just no set limit anymore and the automatic charge is gone. And generally .. with Eir .. any contract change usually binds you into a new contract term. Even a house move within existing contract.

/M

earlier on this year my fixed wireless provider said they could upgrade me from 12mbps to 20mbps for no extra charge! ... looked at small writing on the form ' new 18 month contract required' - foreseeing that fibre was to be finally coming to our area (one day very soon hopefully) i didnt go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Stage 97

Got the draw wire through the existing duct, joined the old and new duct, dug a trough to the foothpath, fed the duct under the footpath and covered it all back up

G9twJJU.jpg

So hopefully now the installer comes and doesn't have a problem with the half inch duct. The draw wire has alittle tug to it but it moves free enough. The half inch is only 6 metres so should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Stage 97

Got the draw wire through the existing duct, joined the old and new duct, dug a trough to the foothpath, fed the duct under the footpath and covered it all back up

Looks a good job. What did you use to join the two ducts?

Stage 97

G9twJJU.jpg

So hopefully now the installer comes and doesn't have a problem with the half inch duct. The draw wire has alittle tug to it but it moves free enough. The half inch is only 6 metres so should be grand

what was the original duct size do you know? - would you maybe have been better using a bit of 3/4" poly water pipe instead of half inch? - i am just wondering if you are getting a bit of a snag pulling just a draw string through it at this stage that will the fibre cable go through it ok?

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    Looks a good job. What did you use to join the two ducts?

Just inserted the small one into the big one and cable tied it in place and taped plastic around the joint

what was the original duct size do you know? - would you maybe have been better using a bit of 3/4" poly water pipe instead of half inch? - i am just wondering if you are getting a bit of a snag pulling just a draw string through it at this stage that will the fibre cable go through it ok?

Yeh i should have used 3/4 but its hard to bend. The 1/2 goes straight into it so was easier.

Its not really snagging just a little bit of resistance. If the installer feeds it from the house down the way itll be grand. The fibre is really slim so should be okay. Its a 60M run so i think a small bit of resistance is natural

Yeh i should have used 3/4 but its hard to bend. The 1/2 goes straight into it so was easier.

Its not really snagging just a little bit of resistance. If the installer feeds it from the house down the way itll be grand. The fibre is really slim so should be okay. Its a 60M run so i think a small bit of resistance is natural

ah right - you should be OK then , fingers crossed.

Speedtest results for the last few days on the 150 MB package. Tests are taken every 30 min's +/- 15mins to find the lowest possible usage time.

44423965171_7dcc4a3846_o.jpg

Speedtest results for the last few days on the 150 MB package. Tests are taken every 30 min's +/- 15mins to find the lowest possible usage time.

44423965171_7dcc4a3846_o.jpg

latency around 40ms is surprising , thought it wold be down in the 9s is this speed test done directly connected by ethernet or through wireless router?

nice steady download and upload rates though.

latency around 40ms is surprising , thought it wold be down in the 9s is this speed test done directly connected by ethernet or through wireless router?

nice steady download and upload rates though.

Wouldn't worry about the latency. It is a US server (Ubiquiti) so the ping is slightly higher but the stability of it is impressive. Very little jitter throughout the day. Making for a smooth and consistent experience. The tests are done on the networking hardware itself connected directly to the network via the OLT.

Wouldn't worry about the latency. It is a US server (Ubiquiti) so the ping is slightly higher but the stability of it is impressive. Very little jitter throughout the day. Making for a smooth and consistent experience. The tests are done on the networking hardware itself connected directly to the network via the OLT.

yes ping is indeed consistent .. mine are all over the place - glad i don't do gaming

yes ping is indeed consistent .. mine are all over the place - glad i don't do gaming

Have a look at this:

Bluebox/NWE WISP Results:

gnWmfTw.png

EirFTTH results:

Tnz9yCu.png

Both:

2q5It37.png

FTTH has changed the digital experience in this home forever. They now use spotify for music everywhere. They no longer watch OTA TV but are free to use netflix and prime video. Gaming can happen at any time of the day not just after 11PM when the contention settles down. Work can be completed from home where emails can now be sent with attachments of any size instantly. Voice and Video conferencing can be had without lag or issue.

FTTH is important. Very important.

FTTH has changed the digital experience in this home forever. They now use spotify for music everywhere. They no longer watch OTA TV but are free to use netflix and prime video. Gaming can happen at any time of the day not just after 11PM when the contention settles down. Work can be completed from home where emails can now be sent with attachments of any size instantly. Voice and Video conferencing can be had without lag or issue.

FTTH is important. Very important.

indeed - what a great difference. i am looking forward to just getting a better overall service myself. I have given up ringing my tech support for my fixed wireless when download speeds are bad and pings are high because they always try to blame it onto my equipment like wireless router and everything and never want to admit its contention or anything else or a problem their end.

last time I had to take them it took days of them trying to sort out a speed problem. - First phone call I got "its because your connected by wireless router and not connected by ethernet from router" - then even when i plugged it in directly to ethernet it was still poor, then over the next couple of days it was "unplug everything, wait a minute plug it back in" - that didnt work, then it was I will get someone to call you back , and that never materialised ... anyway by the end of the week i got a different person on the tech support and they go "i am just going to try doing something our end and i will call you back in 10 minutes and we will see what your speeds are like then" - ten minutes later I was up to around 10mbps from around 2mbps previously and ping was 10 - she phoned back and said something like she put me on a different channel and re-set my dish or sent some firmware/software to my dish ... nothing at all to do with any of my equipment my end and all that time wasted getting me to do this and that.

- I just think (hope) when I do get FTTH finally installed it is just going to be a better / more stabler service than this fixed wireless that i have presently got and it will be more enjoyable having faster speeds and more stable. -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

You might be able to help me with this.

I just added a Ubiquiti AC Lite Access point at the far end of the house. House is networked, so I just plugged an ethernet cable in to the outlet.

Im 'only' getting around 100 megs down and 90ish upload at that AP.

When I'm near the router , I'm getting around 300ish down and the same 90ish up.

Just wondering am I missing something on a setting?

I have the same SSID and Password on the router and the Ap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement