Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

new month - new week! .. I wonder if our area is going to show up on the APQ list this week so I can order FTTH ... I wont hold my breath but would like to be proven wrong. :(

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Failed install for me the other day. Duct into my house comes straight into our hallway. Duct would have been ran before the raft foundation went in, straight from the pole into the foundation. Engineer tried to put his rods down into where the copper cable is presented in the house but it was getting stuck. Asked him if he could just pull the copper cable out but he said he couldn't - but couldn't stop me doing it.

Went to the pole and tugged on the copper cable and it's completely jammed - not moving an inch. Engineer was going to run the cable overhead to my gable but i asked him to put it off for a few days and i'll try get the duct sorted. Dug down to the butt of the pole and discovered the duct is turning a 90 degree angle out under my front wall foundation (away from my house). That's when i remembered - a number of years ago the pole was replaced / moved. The old pole was closer to the edge of the road and considered dangerous i guess, but that was the pole that my service duct was ran to. Obviously when they moved the pole they somehow joined my duct to their new one on the new pole and this is where the blockage is occuring.

Did some needle in a haystack digging over the weekend but couldn't find my duct pipe. Plan now is to get a mini digger early this week to dig a small trench inside my front wall to locate my duct..... cut it and hopefully it will be a clear run to pull the copper out and pull through a small rope. Then T it off there and point it to the butt of the new pole so they can run the fiber down that way. Pain in the nads.

OH how times change. I remember a time where telecom eireann and eircom said that a general member of the public can only do work on the phone line after the Mater telephone socket. All wiring from master socket to the pole is the responsibility of TE / eircom and must not be touched by the consumer ... now they are letting people pull out the landline if they wish (or they are not/cant stop you)

If you are digging at the bottom of the pole and the blockage is in a tee eir put when they moved pole is that even your responsibility? you should get them to clear the blockage if its on public property and not on your land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

You might find your phone line is cemented into the floor, mine was so I ran a duct outside to a different wall because I didnt want to mess with the wooden floor

Might be cheaper to rent a cable locator or hire someone that does that and dig it with a shovel?

Shouldn't be cemented in, when i tug the cable from within the house there is a bit of play on the cable - certainly doesn't appear to be stuck in cement. Problem with cable locator is i believe there needs to be a signal on the cable? That phone line has been disconnected for the past 3 years or more.
    Maybe you could find where they did the new joint to your duct, open that up and correct it (if that is where the blockage is)?

Did they rod it from the pole side and determine the distance from the pole that the blockage occurs?

Course they didn't - and absolutely stupid of me not to ask him to try and rod it that side. It's just when the copper cable wouldn't budge that i assumed there was some issue along the way.

OH how times change. I remember a time where telecom eireann and eircom said that a general member of the public can only do work on the phone line after the Mater telephone socket. All wiring from master socket to the pole is the responsibility of TE / eircom and must not be touched by the consumer ... now they are letting people pull out the landline if they wish (or they are not/cant stop you)

If you are digging at the bottom of the pole and the blockage is in a tee eir put when they moved pole is that even your responsibility? you should get them to clear the blockage if its on public property and not on your land

Who would i call about this? Eir.... or OpenEir ?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Shouldn't be cemented in, when i tug the cable from within the house there is a bit of play on the cable - certainly doesn't appear to be stuck in cement. Problem with cable locator is i believe there needs to be a signal on the cable? That phone line has been disconnected for the past 3 years or more..

Ah right fair enough. No the detectors have a little signal generator you clip onto the line and thats what the detector picks up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I have just had my second install fail. First was the wrong DP and now a ducting from a new pole (50 metres away from house) to underground box 6ft from pole was blocked. Engineer said he has to now put in for a survey and another team is responsible for that. Think he said the civil team. Will take a while but they will have to fix or put down new ducting. I asked him to run through ducting into house so he did and that was good. Have to wait now, could be a while the way the engineer was talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

codie wrote: »
    I have just had my second install fail. First was the wrong DP and now a ducting from a new pole (50 metres away from house) to underground box 6ft from pole was blocked. Engineer said he has to now put in for a survey and another team is responsible for that. Think he said the civil team. Will take a while but they will have to fix or put down new ducting. I asked him to run through ducting into house so he did and that was good. Have to wait now, could be a while the way the engineer was talking.

Should be within about a week I expect, to get the civils out after the location of the blockage (survey team) has been determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Vipermax55

Failed installation . Conduit is too narrow from pole to house . I have to run a new 2 inch conduit from the pole to house about 70 meters . Are there any spefications on conduit type , depth under lawn / driveway etc . Thanks

Who would i call about this? Eir.... or OpenEir ?

ah definately OpenEir of your almost sure its on the road or road ditch path or public property - just explain to them what you said about them adapting the duct when they moved the pole. - if you use Twitter send a direct message to them on twitter for quickness of speaking to them and getting an answer - give them your location/eircode so they can trace where the pole is.

https://twitter.com/openeir

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Actually, Eir dangerous plant is the escalation path, once its about fallen trees, pole, problems like that.

https://www.eir.ie/support/landline/building-or-altering-your-home/

Contact number for Eir Dangerous Plant: 1850 245 424

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just got a call from KN about attempting an install tomorrow.
    BUT ... the civils crew from Openeir is due out tomorrow to clear the blockage, so on hearing this they said they would not come out the same day.
    So install appointment put off until Thursday ..... on the assumption that the civils crew will clear the blockage tomorrow.

Too many cooks and rancid broth comes to mind!

:D

Just got a call from KN about attempting an install tomorrow.
    BUT ... the civils crew from Openeir is due out tomorrow to clear the blockage, so on hearing this they said they would not come out the same day.
    So install appointment put off until Thursday ..... on the assumption that the civils crew will clear the blockage tomorrow.

Too many cooks and rancid broth comes to mind!

:D

such a messy way of doing things - in an Ideal world openeir would take care of all open air (pardon the pun) poles, roadside/ cabinet / duct work and FTTH right into the customers home , none of this open eir /KN / different departments for different issues or blocked ducts malarkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Any contact number for open Eir. Wouldn't mind contacting as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

OpenEir don't deal with the general public (beyond some small things) - contact your service provider

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Vipermax55 wrote: »
    Failed installation . Conduit is too narrow from pole to house . I have to run a new 2 inch conduit from the pole to house about 70 meters . Are there any spefications on conduit type , depth under lawn / driveway etc . Thanks

Here is the specs for ducting:
    https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

1800 656 656 or +353 1701 4711 but they wont talk to you unless you're vague and general instead of provider specific.

for those with a blocked duct i wonder if one of these flexible drain cleaners would be of any help, if the blockage is just a bit of mud or a few loose stones. I bought one of these once from a cheap shop for about a fiver and they are very long and flexible - Aldi sometimes have them on sale too - might help out some I am thinking if its not a too sever blockage if they want to make sure the duct is clear before the day of install .....

4003315684282_a_en_r458.jpg

for those with a blocked duct i wonder if one of these flexible drain cleaners would be of any help, if the blockage is just a bit of mud or a few loose stones. I bought one of these once from a cheap shop for about a fiver and they are very long and flexible - Aldi sometimes have them on sale too - might help out some I am thinking if its not a too sever blockage if they want to make sure the duct is clear before the day of install .....

4003315684282_a_en_r458.jpg

Actually looks decent but it might be abit small when you consider ducts can run upto 100 or so meters. But then again you can go from both sides.

Called OpenEir today and they are sending out another engineer this week - this time for an assessment. Guy from Friday only checked inside the house as i stated earlier, and failed it for duct block on the premises side (mentioned tarmac) - but he never tried to rod at the pole at all.
    As soon as i mentioned the pole had been moved they were willing to send someone out to look and the probability is that the Eir civils crew will have to dig up outside my front wall to try and fix whatever mess they made by moving the poll. Fingers crossed.

Called OpenEir today and they are sending out another engineer this week - this time for an assessment. Guy from Friday only checked inside the house as i stated earlier, and failed it for duct block on the premises side (mentioned tarmac) - but he never tried to rod at the pole at all.
    As soon as i mentioned the pole had been moved they were willing to send someone out to look and the probability is that the Eir civils crew will have to dig up outside my front wall to try and fix whatever mess they made by moving the poll. Fingers crossed.

I think that might have been KN that you spoke to. Was it the 'OpenEir appointments depatment'? OpenEir wont do that and they wont talk to you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Checking the open eir roll out map it states it will be available in the second half of 2018 in my area, anyone know how accurate the roll out map is on eta's ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

limnam wrote: »
    Checking the open eir roll out map it states it will be available in the second half of 2018 in my area, anyone know how accurate the roll out map is on eta's ?

It's horrifically out of date (over three months) and not to be relied upon.

I went outside to my ETU (as they call it) today tugged the existing PTSN/POTS black cable - was a little bit sticky , I though please God dont let the duct be blocked (looked like a 2" duct going into the ETU) but with a little gentle pull more it moved .

Whilst I was at it I knocked the knockout hole at the back of the plastic ETU , made sure there were no electrical cables at the back of it (as after all the ESB box is above it! :eek:) and then measured inside the house to see roughly where the cable would come in and make sure it didnt hit the electrical double socket or any cables running to the socket. - i got out a really long (but thin) masonry bit and proceeded to drill a pilot hole through the breeze-block brick at the back of the ETU so I could see exactly where the cable would come to inside .... but my drill bit was very blunt so I couldnt drill all the way through the breeze- block so I give up in the end ....

It's horrifically out of date (over three months) and not to be relied upon.

absolute terrible state of affairs. what has been the reasoning for them not keeping it updated does anyone know?

m99T wrote: »
    I think that might have been KN that you spoke to. Was it the 'OpenEir appointments depatment'? OpenEir wont do that and they wont talk to you either.

You are correct, it was the OpenEir appointments department.

I went outside to my ETU (as they call it) today tugged the existing PTSN/POTS black cable - was a little bit sticky , I though please God dont let the duct be blocked (looked like a 2" duct going into the ETU) but with a little gentle pull more it moved .

Whilst I was at it I knocked the knockout hole at the back of the plastic ETU , made sure there were no electrical cables at the back of it (as after all the ESB box is above it! :eek:) and then measured inside the house to see roughly where the cable would come in and make sure it didnt hit the electrical double socket or any cables running to the socket. - i got out a really long (but thin) masonry bit and proceeded to drill a pilot hole through the breeze-block brick at the back of the ETU so I could see exactly where the cable would come to inside .... but my drill bit was very blunt so I couldnt drill all the way through the breeze- block so I give up in the end ....

Were you using a hammer / SDS drill or just a normal jacobs 3 point chuck drill? Probably won't get through with the latter.
    You are correct, it was the OpenEir appointments department.

Yeah that is KN. They like to play dressup these days. Wouldn't take what they say too seriously, i'd be inclined to fix it myself.

Were you using a hammer / SDS drill or just a normal jacobs 3 point chuck drill? Probably won't get through with the latter......

just a plain old fashioned bosch hammer drill and normal masonry drill bit - yep not man enough that along with that the drill bit is blunt as arseholes too - they were only cheap drill bits from a pound shop. I just wanted to see if i could just drill a pilot hole and see where abouts it came out on the inside

just a plain old fashioned bosch hammer drill and normal masonry drill bit - yep not man enough that along with that the drill bit is blunt as arseholes too - they were only cheap drill bits from a pound shop. I just wanted to see if i could just drill a pilot hole and see where abouts it came out on the inside

Love me some swiss cheese drill bits hahaha, I've a box of bent ones because i never bother to buy a good set and keep making a trip to B&M for a set every job I take on.

Didn't know you could get the long ones cheap too, must keep an eye out!

Were you using a hammer / SDS drill or just a normal jacobs 3 point chuck drill? Probably won't get through with the latter.

Yeah that is KN. They like to play dressup these days. Wouldn't take what they say too seriously, i'd be inclined to fix it myself.

Well, if whatever they do fixes the problem without me forking out cash for a mini digger - all the better. 100% the issue lies with however they've modified the duct after moving the pole. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Vipermax55

Here is the specs for ducting:
    https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

1800 656 656 or +353 1701 4711 but they wont talk to you unless you're vague and general instead of provider specific.

Hi M99T . Thanks for your reply . One question you might be able to answer . Will eir expect an ETU box installed or will it do just to run the conduit 600mm up the wall of the house and let eir run the fiber from there into the router ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

What is max number of pole spans allowed to a house from nearest DP?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement