Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

leex wrote: »
    What is max number of pole spans allowed to a house from nearest DP?

More than 3 goes over budget so unlikely to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Failed install today. The duct from the access to the nearest pole is blocked. Water pisses into the box when it rains so id day it has washed aload of crap into the duct. The rod was pure filthy when he pilled it out. He thinks theyll flush it out with a power washer.

Do eir take long to fix that type of stuff? Im in donegal.

He was happy with my work which is a relief, he said half inch was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vipermax55 wrote: »
    Hi M99T . Thanks for your reply . One question you might be able to answer . Will eir expect an ETU box installed or will it do just to run the conduit 600mm up the wall of the house and let eir run the fiber from there into the router ?
    Thanks

Older houses don't have an ETU either. They'll work with whatever you have and whatever your requirements are.

If there is no ETU, they might have to drill through the wall to get the fiber in.

/M

What is max number of pole spans allowed to a house from nearest DP?
    fritzelly wrote: »
    More than 3 goes over budget so unlikely to happen

I've seen cases of 4 spans. It's not really the customers problem.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

So how does an Eircode get flagged for availability? Is it distance as crow flies from nearest DP?

• Advertisement

So how does an Eircode get flagged for availability? Is it distance as crow flies from nearest DP?

That was done during the planning. OpenEIR provides the providers with a list of available premises (by eircode) that are eligible for FTTH.

If your premise had no eircode at the time this was planned, or wasn't build, etc. then you have to contact a provider, supply as much information as possible and they can try to add your premise in .. manually. But it's hit and miss at best.

Essentially .. either you're covered by the 300k ... or you are not.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Vipermax55 wrote: »
    Hi M99T . Thanks for your reply . One question you might be able to answer . Will eir expect an ETU box installed or will it do just to run the conduit 600mm up the wall of the house and let eir run the fiber from there into the router ?
    Thanks

Yeah exactly as Marlow said, they will work with what you have. I just run the conduit up to the plaster or 600mm. Whatever comes first, they didn't really care.

Also I if you are stuck for digging down 400mm dont worry too much about it. I covered mine in cement for strength and left it 200/300mm down, works fine and they are happy with it.

Failed install today. The duct from the access to the nearest pole is blocked. Water pisses into the box when it rains so id day it has washed aload of crap into the duct. The rod was pure filthy when he pilled it out. He thinks theyll flush it out with a power washer.

I'd be doing it myself, go and get a power washer and say 'It magically fixed itself'.

I'd say they won't come back near you to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ah Well - it don't look like i will be able to order this week then :

460354.jpg

m99T wrote: »
    I'd be doing it myself, go and get a power washer and say 'It magically fixed itself'.

I'd say they won't come back near you to be honest.

Jes really I thought there were people here saying that this kind of stuff was quick enough?

• Advertisement

Jes really I thought there were people here saying that this kind of stuff was quick enough?

People here might have more experience than myself, but anytime I needed someone to call me back or a civils team to come near me they wouldn't. Thats why I did the last job myself and just said: 'Hey yeah, that duct, yeah it is there. Magically appeared. Come install fibre now pls'

what a shame after all that hard work you done correcting the duct and it still turned out to be a 'failed install'

do you know what - we need more 'successful first time install' on this thread to balance things out properly :) .. there are too many 'failed install' stories

People here might have more experience than myself, but anytime I needed someone to call me back or a civils team to come near me they wouldn't. Thats why I did the last job myself and just said: 'Hey yeah, that duct, yeah it is there. Magically appeared. Come install fibre now pls'

Im not at home much for the next month so I might let it sit for a few weeks and see what happens. Its about 50-60m metres from the house so itll be a faff to do it myself.
    what a shame after all that hard work you done correcting the duct and it still turned out to be a 'failed install'

do you know what - we need more 'successful first time install' on this thread to balance things out properly :) .. there are too many 'failed install' stories

Yeh the whole system is very backwards. The first guy came to the house a week before the install to say the DP wasnt live (happened to be installing down the road) and didnt check the ducts. Then this guy today was ready to go only eir's duct was blocked. If guy no1 had checked then it could have been fixed but why would he do that only for guy no2 to get paid for it.

Really there should be a survey done before go live but I guess with a low take up it wouldnt pay off to fix problems and then have no one order the product.

Id be more annoyed if I had taken a half day for the first install date

Im not a home much for the next month so I might let it sit for a few weeks and see what happens. Its about 50-60m metres from the house so itll be a faff to do it myself.

That's not too bad, at least you have some time to see if they do it without it affecting you much. Do let me know if they come because I will be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Bad news for Cloghan Co. Offaly. Received a call this morning confirming the install for tomorrow and another this afternoon cancelling due to a problem at the exchange..... No advice available from OpenEir or Eir as to when it may be available 😭😭☹️☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got fed up with the carry-on of eir/KN/openeir et al and got a lad with one of these this evening to poke it from the chamber to the blockage preventing my install.
    4003315684282_a_en_r458.jpg

Found it blocked only 18" from the chamber (not a metre which I had been told by one set of installers), and he dug the soil to find the pipe, about 9 to 12 inches down, and the duct top broken & caved in. He took the soil, grass roots and a few small stones out of it and then inserted the probe above to its full length (~12 feet) in the duct ...... all clear. The blockage was nowhere near the tree as they claimed!

So now I know my duct is fully clear all the way into the house.
    There can be no more excuses, except their rod getting caught on some joint edge on the way in.

If I can get a duct rodding roll locally tomorrow - one that is long enough as it is near 45 metres from chamber to exit point in house - I will put in a pull rope and hope they turn up again on Thursday as promised.

If I get that done it should be an easy install.

The whole job today took about 20 minutes, from opening the cover of the chamber to replacing it again, with the blockage cleared. I do have to cover the broken bit of duct with a piece of cut duct to prevent ingress of more soil/stones/grass roots.

All it took really was a shovel and a bit of effort to dig a foot of soil.
    Yeah ..... and that caused three failed installs!

What a waste of time, effort and manpower for a simple job!
    Not to mention the two trucks with cherry lift etc that turned up one day.

./

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

1.5-2TB is generally the highest people reach these days. But it is correct, that a tech savvy household easily breaches the 1TB limit of most providers.
    I think I might breach that in five days...... :o

Got fed up with the carry-on of eir/KN/openeir et al and got a lad with one of these this evening to poke it from the chamber to the blockage preventing my install.
    4003315684282_a_en_r458.jpg

Found it blocked only 18" from the chamber (not a metre which I had been told by one set of installers), and he dug the soil to find the pipe, about 9 to 12 inches down, and the duct top broken & caved in. He took the soil, grass roots and a few small stones out of it and then inserted the probe above to its full length (~12 feet) in the duct ...... all clear. The blockage was nowhere near the tree as they claimed!

So now I know my duct is fully clear all the way into the house.
    There can be no more excuses, except their rod getting caught on some joint edge on the way in.

If I can get a duct rodding roll locally tomorrow - one that is long enough as it is near 45 metres from chamber to exit point in house - I will put in a pull rope and hope they turn up again on Thursday as promised.

The whole job today took about 20 minutes, from opening the cover of the chamber to replacing it again, with the blockage cleared. I do have to cover the broken bit of duct with a piece of cut duct to prevent ingress of more soil/stones/grass roots.

./

100% sounds like KN/openEir's approach. Just dont touch it. This whole thing is going to fall apart because noone will want to work with anyone any more.

Doing it yourself is the best bet. Always. I ran the wire myself thats how useless they are in my eyes.

Atleast its nearly fibre time for you!

So now I[ know my duct is fully clear all the way into the house.

./

ah I can just hear the "health and safety issue prohibits our workers from digging holes because it could wreck their backs and insurance don't cover for that ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ah I can just hear the "health and safety issue prohibits our workers from digging holes because it could wreck their backs and insurance don't cover for that ..."

More like they start digging up your garden or spending time to clear a blockage meanwhile 5 other people don't get installed that day
    They're only there to do what should be a simple install of push the cable thru, plug stuff in and away you go.

• Advertisement

Sure you need a man to watch the man while another man fills out the paperwork but before he fills it out he has to phone a man who looks at a computer and checks that another man has put the right number next to the mans account who is paying the man in the government to pay the men who are digging the hole in untaxed subsidies.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

azzeretti wrote: »
    Installation failed today as they couldn't get a rod through the ducting. Seems to be a problem near the very end of it as they got a good bit through. They said they would refer to another Eir team that could dig out and replace/fix the ducting. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it costly and does it add months onto the install!?

Dug my own
    long story and on a different thread but if you have a difficult install you have to bend over backward to get an install across the line

You can read my saga here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057891688

irelandjoe wrote: »
    Dug my own
    long story and on a different thread but if you have a difficult install you have to bend over backward to get an install across the line

You can read my saga here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057891688

Can you link where you posted about this. I love reading about them.

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

More like they start digging up your garden or spending time to clear a blockage meanwhile 5 other people don't get installed that day
    They're only there to do what should be a simple install of push the cable thru, plug stuff in and away you go.

...and the paid per completed install. I don't blame them tbh, while the before mentioned blockage wasn't as bad as they suggested I'm sure there are other people when they suggest the blockage is just 1m on the property and should be easy to clear to find out a duct has completely collapsed or in multiple locations on a run across someones garden.

In other news, I got a splicer over the weekend (APC-SC pigtail fun) and now have the ONT with a long patch run to a comms cab which houses the ODP/router etc. happy days

wow -they even go as far as to plug the stuff in! :eek: - that's gonna hold them up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    ...and the paid per completed install. I don't blame them tbh, while the before mentioned blockage wasn't as bad as they suggested I'm sure there are other people when they suggest the blockage is just 1m on the property and should be easy to clear to find out a duct has completely collapsed or in multiple locations on a run across someones garden.

The pay per install is a terrible model for this project as there is no incentive for the installer to tackle any issues when he can gamble that the next install will be hassle free. If they were on a daily wage they might be more inclined to do more to complete jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

wow -they even go as far as to plug the stuff in! :eek: - that's gonna hold them up .

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Sure you need a man to watch the man while another man fills out the paperwork but before he fills it out he has to phone a man who looks at a computer and checks that another man has put the right number next to the mans account who is paying the man in the government to pay the men who are digging the hole in untaxed subsidies.

did you mention about the man that digs the hole to expose the duct, has to stop digging if any car drives past and has to have a good look whilst he is leaning on his shovel? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KeRbDoG wrote: »

In my case the blockage was not on my property at all.
    That did not stop me digging, accessing their chamber and clearing the blockage - although not supposed to access their chamber - because of their incompetence. Else it would continue (based on experience) to be failed installs.
    They should thank me and give me a discount for saving them money on failed installs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

codie wrote: »
    I have just had my second install fail. First was the wrong DP and now a ducting from a new pole (50 metres away from house) to underground box 6ft from pole was blocked. Engineer said he has to now put in for a survey and another team is responsible for that. Think he said the civil team. Will take a while but they will have to fix or put down new ducting. I asked him to run through ducting into house so he did and that was good. Have to wait now, could be a while the way the engineer was talking.

Got number for Eir connections and given a deadline 4th of December for ducting to be fixed. They are making a big deal out of it. County council, planning and road traffic accessment,health and safety and a few more we're mentioned. Mother of God so sick of it now couldn't care less if they never fix it ,keep soldering on with the 3 mb .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement