Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The pay per install is a terrible model for this project as there is no incentive for the installer to tackle any issues when he can gamble that the next install will be hassle free. If they were on a daily wage they might be more inclined to do more to complete jobs.

The joys of outsourcing.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The pay per install is a terrible model for this project as there is no incentive for the installer to tackle any issues when he can gamble that the next install will be hassle free. If they were on a daily wage they might be more inclined to do more to complete jobs.

Agree but I see the business need - get the easy ones through, get the numbers and resolve the problem ones over time.
    Not a good experience for people who have issues but once your connected thats it. I'd say they tut when they see a duct install on their job list and jump on the overhead jobs :) ...once the DP is live!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

codie wrote: »
    Got number for Eir connections and given a deadline 4th of December for ducting to be fixed. They are making a big deal out of it. County council, planning and road traffic accessment,health and safety and a few more we're mentioned. Mother of God so sick of it now couldn't care less if they never fix it ,keep soldering on with the 3 mb .

Just fix it yourself and pretend it was never broken! Far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Got number for Eir connections and given a deadline 4th of December for ducting to be fixed. They are making a big deal out of it. County council, planning and road traffic accessment,health and safety and a few more we're mentioned. Mother of God so sick of it now couldn't care less if they never fix it ,keep soldering on with the 3 mb .

If it's on the road side, then yes .. they will need to apply for a license from the council before doing any work. How quick that happens varies A LOT from council to council.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KeRbDoG wrote: »

In other news, I got a splicer over the weekend (APC-SC pigtail fun) and now have the ONT with a long patch run to a comms cab which houses the ODP/router etc. happy days

You bought, borrowed or rented? Had you spliced fibre before? Could you not just have bought a long pre-made cable online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will see how that plays out as they bring everything "in-house" - you would hope they are paid a normal wage and they do what they can on the day and come back to finish it...

Quite a bit of uproar at the moment in their outsourced arenas for moving back to in house

In my case the blockage was not on my property at all.
    That did not stop me digging, accessing their chamber and clearing the blockage - although not supposed to access their chamber - because of their incompetence. Else it would continue (based on experience) to be failed installs.
    They should thank me and give me a discount for saving them money on failed installs!

Where exactly was it? Even those few feet out to the chamber beyond the property are still considered your problem

fritzelly wrote: »
    Will see how that plays out as they bring everything "in-house" - you would hope they are paid a normal wage and they do what they can on the day and come back to finish it...

Quite a bit of uproar at the moment in their outsourced arenas for moving back to in house

It's going to hit KN badly I'm sure. eir must be their biggest client.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Where exactly was it? Even those few feet out to the chamber beyond the property are still considered your problem

It was within 18 inches of their chamber.
    Not on my property, therefore not my problem.

Even if they wished to dispute that, sending out multiple install crews was ridiculous, some of whom made no attempt to install; others who turned up based on false information provided by the first lot with two trucks suited for doing high work on poles or such; and yet other who reported civils needed to clear duct which was allegedly blocked under a large tree which had grown over their duct about 1 metre from the chamber.

None of that was factual, as I proved today ..... in about 20 mins.
    Each of those crews were here for a couple of hours to half a day!

It was within 18 inches of their chamber.
    Not on my property, therefore not my problem.

If it's the duct feeding your property it's classed as your property and your responsibility - i.e. the chamber is where their network is, from that to your house is your property and your problem

• Advertisement

If it's the duct feeding your property it's classed as your property and your responsibility - i.e. the chamber is where their network is, from that to your house is your property and your problem

See my edit above.

I did not lay that pipe to their chamber, eircom did.

I have no right to interfere with it as it is not on my land.

You bought, borrowed or rented? Had you spliced fibre before? Could you not just have bought a long pre-made cable online?

Borrowed, had used one before but not extensively - it isn't hard to splice one you have the right tools and someone willing to teach you how, you'd be splicing on your own in 30min.
    During my house build I had a notion before the slabs went up in the house to run fiber optic cable so I wrangled a long run of it (goes up the internal of a gable wall, across the house and down the other gable. Terminated that into patch panels, reworked one strand to APC-SC.
    The only future proofing which panned out so far in the house :)

Long pre-made would have only worked if I went outside with it and that would have been more hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

In my case the blockage was not on my property at all.
    That did not stop me digging, accessing their chamber and clearing the blockage - although not supposed to access their chamber - because of their incompetence. Else it would continue (based on experience) to be failed installs.
    They should thank me and give me a discount for saving them money on failed installs!

they might offer you a job working with the team lol :)

would you not plead with them to see if they can do it overhead from pole/DP to gable of house - be lot less hassle and quicker timeframe I should imagine. and you say the pole is 50m from house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I'd imagine KN/Defusion etc aren't going away completely though. A lot of the best and most experienced P&T/Telecom Éireann era technicians have retired and some have joined KN. There was one chap based in Borrisoleigh who would come within the hour for ADSL faults that you could literally set the watch to him arriving and when he did you'd only be an hour at most waiting for him to fix it. He's with KN now. Thankfully not ADSL anymore.

would you not plead with them to see if they can do it overhead from pole/DP to gable of house - be lot less hassle and quicker timeframe I should imagine. and you say the pole is 50m from house?

Won't always do it OH - all FTTH are underground unless it's easy to do overhead.
    So many issues (especially in rural areas) like the ESB cables run across the front of the property and phone poles are across the road.

I know that's apparently how it is but i personally find that stupid - i mean say if the duct that leads to your house went from their chamber, underneath a public council footpath (even the said footpath may be crushing and caused the duct to collapse and block) then its the householders responsibility to dig up the council footpath is it and unblock the pip/duct and lay a new council footpath then?

So, far enough if that duct runs under your land (say it runs under your front lawn) and its blocked with tree roots or something blocking it under your front lawn , fair enough then it should be your responsibility then I suppose.

- be intrigued to see how this would fare in a court of law rather than the engineers citing that if a duct is blocked its the owners responsibility.

Borrowed, had used one before but not extensively - it isn't hard to splice one you have the right tools and someone willing to teach you how, you'd be splicing on your own in 30min.
    During my house build I had a notion before the slabs went up in the house to run fiber optic cable so I wrangled a long run of it (goes up the internal of a gable wall, across the house and down the other gable. Terminated that into patch panels, reworked one strand to APC-SC.
    The only future proofing which panned out so far in the house :)

Long pre-made would have only worked if I went outside with it and that would have been more hassle.

seen one of those clever yokes in action on youtube i think - are they the ones with the lcd panel and you close the lid and it does a little graphic as it splices it all together?

Won't always do it OH - all FTTH are underground unless it's easy to do overhead.
    So many issues (especially in rural areas) like the ESB cables run across the front of the property and phone poles are across the road.

damn ESB lines!

I know that's apparently how it is but i personally find that stupid - i mean say if the duct that leads to your house went from their chamber, underneath a public council footpath (even the said footpath may be crushing and caused the duct to collapse and block) then its the householders responsibility to dig up the council footpath is it and unblock the pip/duct and lay a new council footpath then?

So, far enough if that duct runs under your land (say it runs under your front lawn) and its blocked with tree roots or something blocking it under your front lawn , fair enough then it should be your responsibility then I suppose.

- be intrigued to see how this would fare in a court of law rather than the engineers citing that if a duct is blocked its the owners responsibility.

I agree completely.
    As I posted earlier I have no right to interfere with anything not on my property.
    If the blockage is not on my property I am not legally entitled to interfere with it.

• Advertisement

seen one of those clever yokes in action on youtube i think - are they the ones with the lcd panel and you close the lid and it does a little graphic as it splices it all together?

They usually don't show a graphic but a video image of the fusion splice taking place - linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Changes coming to the wholesale connection fee from Jan 1st next year.

In last year's Comreg's consultation on the pricing of wholesale local access one of the issues raised was the wholesale connection fee and the burden this placed on the first retailer that provides to a FTTH connection to a property, the full cost of the wholesale connection fee to open-eir. If the householder changes provider after the initial contract period the subsidised cost of a connection may not be fully recovered by the first provider and any subsequent provider will not pay a connection fee.

Open-eir is proposing to change this from next Jan to a Reimbursement Model with connection and reimbursement fees for retailers over a 20 year period. It will be based a sliding scale where the initial or previous provider will be reimbursed part of their connection fee and the new provider paying that same amount as a wholesale connection fee.

The new initial wholesale connection fee will be €294. They are also introducing a wholesale FTTH cessation / connection charge of €5 from the same date, this is in addition to the to the above connection fee.

untitled2.jpg
    Under the Reimbursement Model in Table 1, which applies to cessations or connections on FTTH lines (paths) which were first provisioned after the effective date (01/01/2019), the contribution by the retail operator is protected.

a. At initial connection, the first retail operator (Operator 1) is charged the fee for an ONT installed by open eir.

b. Operator 1’s contribution is protected, on a depreciating basis, for 20 years.

c. In the case that the customer transfers to another retail operator or ceases service:

i. The losing operator receives a reimbursement amount from open eir, calculated at a rate against the standard connection fee, the date of cessation and the date of completion of the initial connection. e.g. a cessation 30 months after the initial connection date will receive the Year 2 Reimbursement Amount

ii. A gaining operator pays a connection fee based on the connection charge in Table 1 based on the initial connection date and fee. E.g. a connection 40 months after an initial connection will attract a Year 3 connection charge.

iii. The balance of the 20 year protection transfers to the gaining operator.

d. The reimbursement amount and connection fees are calculated based on a rate, aligned to the number of completed years since the line was first connected.

e. The reimbursement rates recognise the time the first operator invests in managing the customer through the initial connection appointments etc. For this reason, the reimbursement rates in the Year 0 and Year 1 are higher than the initial connection fee.

https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5611

The Cush wrote: »
    Changes coming to the wholesale connection fee from Jan 1st next year.

In last year's Comreg's consultation on the pricing of wholesale local access one of the issues raised was the wholesale connection fee and the burden this placed on the first retailer that provides to a FTTH connection to a property, the full cost of the wholesale connection fee to open-eir. If the householder changes provider after the initial contract period the subsidised cost of a connection may not be fully recovered by the first provider and any subsequent provider will not pay a connection fee.

Open-eir is proposing to change this from next Jan to a Reimbursement Model with connection and reimbursement fees for retailers over a 20 year period. It will be based a sliding scale where the initial or previous provider will be reimbursed part of their connection fee and the new provider paying that same amount as a wholesale connection fee.

The new initial wholesale connection fee will be €294. They are also introducing a wholesale FTTH cessation / connection charge of €5 from the same date, this is in addition to the to the above connection fee.

https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5611

Seems a good idea and may prompt more ISPs to gamble on free or reduced connection charges in the knowledge that they have insurance if their customer switches.

Seems a good idea and may prompt more ISPs to gamble on free or reduced connection charges in the knowledge that they have insurance if their customer switches.

Time to get my 99€ install from Eir in as many properties as possible.

They usually don't show a graphic but a video image of the fusion splice taking place - linky.

its clever that

when doing research looking into providers for FTTH and weighing up their charges , I thought I would just have a look and see what SKY broadband were charging for FTTH .. but on looking, it looks like they are going into partnership with SIRO and not going to be doing FTTH the openeir way .. have I that right or wrong?

when doing research looking into providers for FTTH and weighing up their charges , I thought I would just have a look and see what SKY broadband were charging for FTTH .. but on looking, it looks like they are going into partnership with SIRO and not going to be doing FTTH the openeir way .. have I that right or wrong?

Wrong. They are apparently conducting trials on both networks but it is unclear when they'll be taking orders.

Wrong. They are apparently conducting trials on both networks but it is unclear when they'll be taking orders.

I was looking at the Siro site today and Sky were mentioned as a provider ..... I think it was for Shannon, but I might be recalling incorrectly as I was looking at a few areas.

In any case Sky were definitely mentioned on the Siro site as a reseller.

I was looking at the Siro site today and Sky were mentioned as a provider ..... I think it was for Shannon, but I might be recalling incorrectly as I was looking at a few areas.

In any case Sky were definitely mentioned on the Siro site as a reseller.

I don't think they are accepting orders anywhere on SIRO at the minute.

• Advertisement

Nov 19th 2017:
    https://siro.ie/siro-sky-partnership/

Also slightly off topic but is Cabaal still around and will the Broadband FAQ ever be updated? Just laughed about the 'Sky does not supply broadband in Ireland, either via satellite or cables. They never have, and they never will, so stop asking.' line here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167684.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement