Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Wrong. They are apparently conducting trials on both networks but it is unclear when they'll be taking orders.

oh right thanks, I read it wrong then

I just thought, seeing as I was already a sky TV subscriber , that they might offer free install or reduced install charge on FTTH .... (when I finally get it!/ when it becomes live ... which could be anyone's guess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

m99T wrote: »
    Nov 19th 2017:
    https://siro.ie/siro-sky-partnership/

Also slightly off topic but is Cabaal still around and will the Broadband FAQ ever be updated? Just laughed about the 'Sky does not supply broadband in Ireland, either via satellite or cables. They never have, and they never will, so stop asking.' line here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167684.

Mods have abandoned the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Mods have abandoned the forum.

MODS ARE GONE? POST BREAD

white-bread-51-600-600x400.jpg

Sucks though. It's a good forum.

I suppose it doesn't need much moderation. We all get along OK most of the time!

I suppose it doesn't need much moderation. We all get along OK most of the time!

That is true. Self moderation at its finest.

Would love to see more tech docs on here. Might spend some time and make for people to get into networking at a hardware level.

• Advertisement

here's a strange thing (and i hope it doesn't affect me when I go to order FTTH) but if I put my eircode into the official eircode website ( https://www.eircode.ie/ ) my eircode comes up matched to my address ..... but then just for silly sake (because I know it isnt available and would it ever be because we are in a small village) I put my eircode into the SIRO website ... and it came up with my next door neighbour's address - what the hell is going on and which eircode would openeir work on? - the official eircode website or the same eircode that SIRO get???

why do I get the feeling that when I can finally order FTTH and give them my eircode (off the official eircode page) and they turn up to my neighbour next door to install it instead!!!

here's a strange thing (and i hope it doesn't affect me when I go to order FTTH) but if I put my eircode into the official eircode website ( https://www.eircode.ie/ ) my eircode comes up matched to my address ..... but then just for silly sake (because I know it isnt available and would it ever be because we are in a small village) I put my eircode into the SIRO website ... and it came up with my next door neighbour's address - what the hell is going on and which eircode would openeir work on? - the official eircode website or the same eircode that SIRO get???

why do I get the feeling that when I can finally order FTTH and give them my eircode (off the official eircode page) and they turn up to my neighbour next door to install it instead!!!

I did an install there where the address my eirCode matched to was about 40 miles away from the property.

Engineer called me and I just explained to him to drive to my address and not the one that the eir system mapped it to. OpenEir seems to use the official eircode map to get their data so it shouldn't be a problem. I also got eir to update the address after to the correct one.

I did an install there where the address my eirCode matched to was about 40 miles away from the property.

Engineer called me and I just explained to him to drive to my address and not the one that the eir system mapped it to. OpenEir seems to use the official eircode map to get their data so it shouldn't be a problem. I also got eir to update the address after to the correct one.

oh good thanks, fingers crossed i dont get more delays with "oh I am sorry your eircode does not match correctly with your address and that has to be sorted before you can order!" type of scenario

oh good thanks, fingers crossed i dont get more delays with "oh I am sorry your eircode does not match correctly with your address and that has to be sorted before you can order!" type of scenario

Yeah I thought the same but took the risk. Paid off.

white-bread-51-600-600x400.jpg

are you saying FTTH is the best thing to come out since sliced bread? :)

• Advertisement

are you saying FTTH is the best thing to come out since sliced bread? :)

Bread is fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

leex wrote: »
    What is max number of pole spans allowed to a house from nearest DP?

KN man who recently installed my fibre said he goes 5 pole spans.Anything above this requires authorised permission from EIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107994163&postcount=3077
    If I can get a duct rodding roll locally tomorrow - one that is long enough as it is near 45 metres from chamber to exit point in house - I will put in a pull rope and hope they turn up again on Thursday as promised.

So far I can only find 10mm Cobra rodding which is not flexible enough to go through the couple of bends in the duct. :(
    Neither did the one available for hire have any 'end' on it, so would catch in any edges inside the duct. Now on a search locally for something thinner that will go through.

I have considered a length of bicycle brake cable outer ..... which is flexible enough and strong enough to push through .... should a thinner Cobra rod not be available locally.
    IF I can find a 50 metre roll locally.

If all else fails I guess I can hope the crew due tomorrow have the right gear! (some hope!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So far I can only find 10mm Cobra rodding which is not flexible enough to go through the couple of bends in the duct. :(
    Neither did the one available for hire have any 'end' on it, so would catch in any edges inside the duct. Now on a search locally for something thinner that will go through.

I have considered a length of bicycle brake cable outer ..... which is flexible enough and strong enough to push through .... should a thinner Cobra rod not be available locally.

If all else fails I guess I can hope the crew due tomorrow have the right gear! (some hope!)

I bought this thing which arrived within a week from the UK...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323323024988

If its a very long run I'd recommend the thicker version (6mm).
    The 4mm is fine otherwise.

I have draw strings in place now waiting for KN to show up..... they are slinging up the cable from the exchange so hopefully its not too far away! My goal is to have a day 1 successful install based on all the horrors stories here! :)

If I can get a duct rodding roll locally tomorrow - one that is long enough as it is near 45 metres from chamber to exit point in house - I will put in a pull rope and hope they turn up again on Thursday as promised.

So far I can only find 10mm Cobra rodding which is not flexible enough to go through the couple of bends in the duct.  :(

I have considered a length of bicycle brake cable outer ..... which is flexible enough and strong enough to push through ....  should a thinner Cobra rod not be available locally.

Single man crew will usually have 50m of 6m cobra. But it is never exactly 50m because they cut bits off and it breaks so I wouldn't rely on it.
    I'd keep the search on for hire shops for your reel. And when you rod it make sure you get good rope down and tape it up well to the reel. belive me it is a pain when it breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Were you long waiting on Eir to come out after KN found the blockage or did they ever make it out to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Was thinking of that but would have to come over neighbours garden. I wouldn't even ask . To be honest there were 3 KN engineer there and they could of tried a bit harder but as discussed in previous posts they have no incentive .Just go to easier job . I would love to go at myself but it's in front of someone else's house with their tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Were you long waiting on Eir to come out after KN found the blockage or did they ever make it out to you?

They never got out ...... received a call from eir about sending out another tech to do the install, and I asked was it to clear the duct blockage and they said no, just an install.
    On hearing about a duck blockage they postponed until tomorrow.

I have no idea what happened to the civils crew ..... I can only guess that the call I received cancelled the civils crew :(
    So I unblocked myself, and now await the install tech tomorrow.
    m99T wrote:
    Single man crew will usually have 50m of 6m cobra. But it is never exactly 50m because they cut bits off and it breaks so I wouldn't rely on it.
    I'd keep the search on for hire shops for your reel. And when you rod it make sure you get good rope down and tape it up well to the reel. belive me it is a pain when it breaks.

The distance is a bit less than 50m .... possibly nearer to 40m .... so a small bit missing should make no diff - says I more in hope than conviction :)

I am still trying to find an alternative ..... have already bought a reel of nylon rope hoping I can rent a 6mm x 50m Cobra somewhere.

EDIT: Exhausted all available resources locally .... was one 6mm Cobra, but it was just too stiff IMO so did not take it.

I will wait and see what the techs make of it tomorrow.

Roll on!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

KeRbDoG wrote: »

In other news, I got a splicer over the weekend (APC-SC pigtail fun) and now have the ONT with a long patch run to a comms cab which houses the ODP/router etc. happy days

Even though I'm years off FTTH, I'm still planning in advance :D My issue is that from where Eir would put my ONT is further than 100m from where I have my rack cabinet/routers etc. so hence my interest in this comment. Few questions (or for anyone else who may know the answer);

Did you move the ONT to the comms cabinet or leave in situ and ONT gives you an optical output to connect to your router?

I'm assuming single mode fiber was used if you did indeed move the ONT but if you didn't move the ONT, did you use single mode or multimode fiber link?

I'm assuming if you did move the ONT and you have any faults, you would have to move ONT back to original location. Have moved a few Eir DSL sockets (for common sense reasons) in my time and they always were ok fixing the fault even if the demarcation point had been moved/blurred.

Jim

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The ONT is copper output. The fibre cable to the ONT is SM/APC, so if you decide to move the ONT, that's what you'll need. If you have faults, you'll probably have to move the ONT back, so keep the original patch cable handy (and clean!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

westyIrl wrote: »
    Even though I'm years off FTTH, I'm still planning in advance :D My issue is that from where Eir would put my ONT is further than 100m from where I have my rack cabinet/routers etc. so hence my interest in this comment. Few questions (or for anyone else who may know the answer);

Did you move the ONT to the comms cabinet or leave in situ and ONT gives you an optical output to connect to your router?
    Left the ODP in situ, moved the ONT (the fibre->copper part) to my comms cab via a patch cable run though patch panels.
    I'm assuming single mode fiber was used if you did indeed move the ONT but if you didn't move the ONT, did you use single mode or multimode fiber link?
    Single Mode - the connections need to be APC so I used SC/APC to keep with what they are using.
    I'm assuming if you did move the ONT and you have any faults, you would have to move ONT back to original location. Have moved a few Eir DSL sockets (for common sense reasons) in my time and they always were ok fixing the fault even if the demarcation point had been moved/blurred.
    Jim

Any faults, the ONT will be moved back and patched back as it was installed. I'm fairly sure the demarcation point is the ODP but it could be to the ONT. Either way, they will know nathing :)
    ...and yea, the liberal use of a fiber port/end cleaner is important. Even if you buy a brand new fiber patch cable, you can't take it that they are clean and good to go - you need to use a cleaner on them.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The ONT is copper output. The fibre cable to the ONT is SM/APC, so if you decide to move the ONT, that's what you'll need. If you have faults, you'll probably have to move the ONT back, so keep the original patch cable handy (and clean!).

What oscarBravo said :D

Left in situ, moved the ODP (the fibre->copper part) to my comms cab via a patch cable run though patch panels.

Single Mode - the connections need to be APC so I used SC/APC to keep with what they are using.

Any faults, the ODP will be moved back and patched back as it was installed. I'm fairly sure the demarcation point is the ONT but it could be to the ODP. Either way, they will know nathing :)
    ...and yea, the liberal use of a fiber port/end cleaner is important. Even if you buy a brand new fiber patch cable, you can't take it that they are clean and good to go - you need to use a cleaner on them.

What oscarBravo said :D

Just a clarification but the ONT is the fibre to copper converter so you moved the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just a clarification but the ONT is the fibre to copper converter so you moved the ONT.

100% correct sir - I moved the ONT but left the ODP in situ...the ODP is just a fiber coupler to go from the external fiber to an internal patch cable, you could move it if you really wanted to. I think they left some of the quick termination connectors in their pile of 'here, you bin those bud' bits.
    n2yixd.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's important. Sticking a UPC plug in an APC socket can cause damage.
    I'm fairly sure the demarcation point is the ODP but it could be to the ONT.

The ONT is the demarc. Specifically, the copper port on the ONT. So the ONT is open eir's problem; the router is the ISP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Speedtest results for the last few days on the 150 MB package. Tests are taken every 30 min's +/- 15mins to find the lowest possible usage time.

44423965171_7dcc4a3846_o.jpg

did you use a USG router or what eir provided?
    i asked this question about a year ago as i plan on using my USG and it seems to be no problem as i can do vlan tagging, just interested to see if you've done this? or have any hints i can save for when it finally arrives in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Wouldn't worry about the latency. It is a US server (Ubiquiti) so the ping is slightly higher but the stability of it is impressive. Very little jitter throughout the day. Making for a smooth and consistent experience. The tests are done on the networking hardware itself connected directly to the network via the OLT.

ok my first question is answered
    can you share any setup info for the USG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Not impressed with the ping times on Digiweb. They have been about 15ms to Irish servers but tonight they are now worse than my old ADSL1 connection - around 60 to 70 ms.

Tracing route to inex.ie [193.242.111.183]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
    2 62 ms 60 ms 60 ms 83.147.159.199
    3 68 ms 65 ms 66 ms 78.137.185.22
    4 62 ms 61 ms 67 ms et9-1-0-0.core1-pw.nn.hea.net [185.6.36.16]
    5 72 ms 65 ms 66 ms et8-0-0-0.core1-cwt.nn.hea.net [87.44.50.4]
    6 67 ms 70 ms 69 ms f0-0.gw2.inex.ie [194.88.240.2]
    7 72 ms 73 ms 72 ms webproxy.inex.ie [193.242.111.183]

took this photo when the lads had the manhole cover off in the pavement outside our house -

i see they have used the same 3M DP that they put on the poles .. surprised the fibre cable is grey, I would have thought it would be black - it looks like twin and earth electrical cable

460455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MBSnr wrote: »
    Not impressed with the ping times on Digiweb. They have been about 15ms to Irish servers but tonight they are now worse than my old ADSL1 connection - around 60 to 70 ms.

Tracing route to inex.ie [193.242.111.183]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
    2 62 ms 60 ms 60 ms 83.147.159.199
    3 68 ms 65 ms 66 ms 78.137.185.22
    4 62 ms 61 ms 67 ms et9-1-0-0.core1-pw.nn.hea.net [185.6.36.16]
    5 72 ms 65 ms 66 ms et8-0-0-0.core1-cwt.nn.hea.net [87.44.50.4]
    6 67 ms 70 ms 69 ms f0-0.gw2.inex.ie [194.88.240.2]
    7 72 ms 73 ms 72 ms webproxy.inex.ie [193.242.111.183]

OpenEIR have issues in City West in Dublin on their 10gig core. Massive issues. If that's where they are terminating you, then that could be the cause of it. Either that or contention.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR have issues in City West in Dublin on their 10gig core. Massive issues. If that's where they are terminating you, then that could be the cause of it. Either that or contention.

/M
    That may explain my patchy performance tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement