Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It depends on where the providers terminate you into their own network.

If they terminate you elsewhere in the country or even elsewhere in Dublin no problem.

But it's a real problem for the providers, that take their OpenEIR feed on the City West exchange.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's important. Sticking a UPC plug in an APC socket can cause damage.
    Also not using APC connectors when a fiber is bi-directional could cause reflectance/back-reflection from the end face of the fiber core itself.

Marlow wrote: »
    It depends on where the providers terminate you into their own network.

If they terminate you elsewhere in the country or even elsewhere in Dublin no problem.

But it's a real problem for the providers, that take their OpenEIR feed on the City West exchange.

/M
    I'm with Eir, so I guess that some of my traffic is routed via citywest as I get ping of 45ms to the eir speedtest portal, but the upload and download speeds seem good but DNS lookups are very slow tonight.

Using the ookla speedtest site the ping is only 4ms but the page took an age to load initially.

I rebooted the router (F2000), but that made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

iioklo wrote: »
    Eir screwed me over should had went with Airwire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

iioklo wrote: »

So they are just changing focus away from rural to urban, makes sense in the short/medium term for sure

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    So they are just changing focus away from rural to urban, makes sense in the short/medium term for sure

Anything with Eircom (eircom plc being the parent company of Eir retail and OpenEIR) is aimed at long term, but ends up short term, because they can't make their mind up and they're stuck in their old structures.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I noticed that Virgin media doesnt seem to be an option on the list. Are they doing FTTH or are they partnering with SIRO or another company?

[URL=]"https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/"fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I noticed that Virgin media doesnt seem to be an option on the list. Are they doing FTTH or are they partnering with SIRO or another company?

[URL=]"https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/"fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/[/URL]

Virgin (UPC) have always had their own network, mainly hybrid fibre coax but more recently some FTTH. They use their own network, nobody else is allowed on it and Virgin don't use any other network bar maybe for backhaul.

Virgin (UPC) have always had their own network, mainly hybrid fibre coax but more recently some FTTH. They use their own network, nobody else is allowed on it and Virgin don't use any other network bar maybe for backhaul.

ah right thanks

• Advertisement

took this photo when the lads had the manhole cover off in the pavement outside our house -

i see they have used the same 3M DP that they put on the poles .. surprised the fibre cable is grey, I would have thought it would be black - it looks like twin and earth electrical cable

That looks like black cable in translucent ducting. There seems to be microtube connectors near the tape and also a yellow gas block end stop near the box.

http://www.radiustelecoms.com/products/fttx-microtubing-systems/connectors/

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Nevermind Navi beat me too it.

Speaking of manholes is it openEir who are supposed to put the duct in or the resident?

m99T wrote: »
    Nevermind Navi beat me too it.

Speaking of manholes is it openEir who are supposed to put the duct in or the resident?

I think, though am not positive, that it is the responsibility of the resident or builder to lay ducting to the boundary of the premises. Anything past that, for example crossing a road etc, would be up to Openeir.

That looks like black cable in translucent ducting. There seems to be microtube connectors near the tape and also a yellow gas block end stop near the box.

http://www.radiustelecoms.com/products/fttx-microtubing-systems/connectors/

is that good or bad?

is that good or bad?

I'm not sure what you mean? It's normal for underground, it just means that the cable has likely been blown into the chamber using compressed air.

I'm not sure what you mean? It's normal for underground, it just means that the cable has likely been blown into the chamber using compressed air.

Oh right thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

OpenEIR have issues in City West in Dublin on their 10gig core. Massive issues. If that's where they are terminating you, then that could be the cause of it. Either that or contention.

/M

OK - back to normal (well 15ms) this morning. They must have sorted the issue in City West.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

So got a call from Eir connections to say the blocked duct on public land should be sorted by 09/11/2018 which wouldnt be so bad, im away most of this month.

If itll actually be unblocked by then is another thing.

It shouldnt be too big of a job as I think the duct is just full of muck from water flowing into the access box and then into the duct which goes down hill

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

A query for AirWire (or any technical person on here): I will be getting FTTH in about 4 months (hopefully): Airwire offer a Fritz box 7560 for €125. And another Fritz box (7490) for €179. The more expensive one has a phone system with analogue and ISDN: the cheaper just has a phone system.

What is the advantage of a phone system with analogue and ISDN? Currently, I have FTTC: I have a Panasonic wireless phone setup (a base station + 3 wireless phones off that) - the phones are about 7 years old. To continue using these, would I have to get the more expensive Fritz box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Poulgorm wrote: »
    A query for AirWire (or any technical person on here): I will be getting FTTH in about 4 months (hopefully): Airwire offer a Fritz box 7560 for €125. And another Fritz box (7490) for €179. The more expensive one has a phone system with analogue and ISDN: the cheaper just has a phone system.

What is the advantage of a phone system with analogue and ISDN? Currently, I have FTTC: I have a Panasonic wireless phone setup (a base station + 3 wireless phones off that) - the phones are about 7 years old. To continue using these, would I have to get the more expensive Fritz box?

I have the 7560. I plugged the DECT base station analogue line into the 7560. That unit also can act as a DECT base unit so you could register the DECT phones I have directly to the 7560 if you wanted and avoid using the base unit as the connection. Guess you would do this if the phone was in a location that you could not run the analogue cable to the 7560. My phone's own DECT base unit has an answer phone, plus it charges the phone and as such I just plug it into the 7560. The 7560 has an answerphone you can setup but I haven't bothered and use the existing base unit (wife friendly and all that...)

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    OK - back to normal (well 15ms) this morning. They must have sorted the issue in City West.

No, they haven't. But Digiweb could have shifted the NGA (FTTH and VDSL) connections to another interconnect with OpenEIR. You wouldn't see any difference .. apart from that it works now.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Airwire offer a Fritz box 7560 for €125. And another Fritz box (7490) for €179. The more expensive one has a phone system with analogue and ISDN: the cheaper just has a phone system.

The 7490 is an outgoing model. It's being replaced by the 7590. So we will only have 7490s as long as stock lasts. Also, it doesn't look like the 7490 will be getting the new Fritz!OS 7 anymore.

The build-in DECT basestation (in all Fritz!Boxes that have it) works perfectly with their own Fritz!Fon DECT phones, but also with Gigaset (Siemens and later) phones. The advantage of teaming the handset with the Fritz!Box instead of the original base is that you get access to call-lists, internal address book in the Fritz!Box and better handling. But it's not requirement to use the build-in DECT base.

We also tested other DECT handsets like the Panasonic Android DECT handset and they're often better off on their original base, plugged into the analog port. But then you can only place 1 call at any given time.

The 7490 and 7590 are AVMs flagship models. So opposed to the 7560, they'd have 2 independant analog ports, that you can assign different numbers to and an ISDN port, where you can have ISDN phones connected and answer 2 calls on any of the ISDN phones at any given time. So basically 4 wired calls at the same time + 6 DECT phones. If your VoIP/phone provider lets you.

Also, the 7490 and 7590 will allow you to plug an analogue or ISDN line into the DSL/VDSL port, even if you don't use VDSL. Or if you have DSL/VDSL it will handle both that and the incoming phoneline. So if your phoneline comes in on the copper line, it'll still be able to deal with it. It can also receive Fax transmissions on said copper line.

So it works as a complete traditional phone system also.

The 7560 can only handle IP-based VDSL and has no functionality for traditional phonelines. It can only take telephony via VoIP.

And then there is the thing, that the new 7590 is capable of supervectoring and has MU-MIMO (4x4 MIMO), where you can dedicate bandwidth on the wifi to specific devices.

So got a call from Eir connections to say the blocked duct on public land should be sorted by 09/11/2018 which wouldnt be so bad, im away most of this month.

If itll actually be unblocked by then is another thing.

It shouldnt be too big of a job as I think the duct is just full of muck from water flowing into the access box and then into the duct which goes down hill

i'm pretty shocked at the time they say it will be sorted by (yes I know it will be a sorted 'by..' ) or did you request it that far off because you are away?

i'm pretty shocked at the time they say it will be sorted by (yes I know it will be a sorted 'by..' ) or did you request it that far off because you are away?

They always give them lots of room for fixing things. It doesn't matter, if it affects peoples lives. If a pole has to be put in place the initial timeline is usually 2-3 months.

The reason for that is more than likely, that they can get fined, if they don't keep their timelines. So their ultimate fix to that was, just to add a few months to the delivery time frame.

/M

They always give them lots of room for fixing things. It doesn't matter, if it affects peoples lives. If a pole has to be put in place the initial timeline is usually 2-3 months.

The reason for that is more than likely, that they can get fined, if they don't keep their timelines. So their ultimate fix to that was, just to add a few months to the delivery time frame.

/M

wow, i was thinking week(s) time-frame to sort something out especially if someone is on the last hurdle of getting FTTH installed - I just hope its all plane sailing / straight forward when they come round to install mine because i am one of the most impatient people i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Na thats just what I was given, I think they are just really conservative when they estimate these things and given the latest possible date.

They said a month when the DP wasnt live and I think it was fixed within a week.
    I just hope its all plane sailing / straight forward when they come round to install mine because i am one of the most impatient people i know!

If im sorted by the end of the year ill be happy enough. With Eir I always plan for the worst.

wow, i was thinking week(s) time-frame to sort something out especially if someone is on the last hurdle of getting FTTH installed - I just hope its all plane sailing / straight forward when they come round to install mine because i am one of the most impatient people i know!

If it's on public land (road) it also requires a license from the council. The time frame for obtaining that varies A LOT from council to council.

/M

Na thats just what I was given, I think they are just really conservative when they estimate these things and given the latest possible date.

They said a month when the DP wasnt live and I think it was fixed within a week.

ah right - keep us posted , be intrigued to see how long it was finally.

when the eir guys were fitting the DP to the poles up my way in June they said 'it will be live within a month' - still waiting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Tech came out again today to assess after i had raised the issue of a moved pole. He discovered that as i thought - the new duct that they provided to the new pole is blocked most likely where it joins up with my original duct which was running to the old pole.

He has put in for a dig / duct repair and said that due to no "box" being required it won't require planning etc as it is essentially just a repair and shouldn't take too long.

Waiting to see what sort of estimated timeframe i get for this. If it's too long i'm just going to dig the trench inside my front wall to find my service duct and run a fresh piece from there to the butt of the pole and pull a wire through using the existing copper cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Finally

PING ms     DOWNLOAD Mbps     UPLOAD Mbps
      10            142.56             29.49

I thought ping times might be better but that could be due to internal hardware and connections. I do not presently have the option of connecting directly to the eir modem.

A bit of hassle initially .... tech was very negative about possibility of success, but with a bit of gentle persuasion and help he turned out to be very helpful, even finding and clearing a P&T collapsed bend outside my wall.

So now to download the internet :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement