Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Now members of this household are in a bit of a mess ........ Google in its wisdom has locked us out of our email accounts.

Claims that the devices are different ....... friggin' devices are the very same as before it is just the connection is via FTTH! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Now members of this household are in a bit of a mess ........ Google in its wisdom has locked us out of our email accounts.

Claims that the devices are different ....... friggin' devices are the very same as before it is just the connection is via FTTH! :mad::mad::mad:

bet its something to do with the IP address of your new provider

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Are they using ipv 6 address

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just log on to your account thru a browser, as above it's not recognising the IP and thinking suspicious.
    I use my phone etc all over Europe and never had a problem after a manual sign in sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Got mine installed yesterday. Seemed a straight forward installation as it was overhead. Delighted with speed so far. Big step up from mobile broadband we have had for past few years

• Advertisement

I got my email addresses sorted ..... was lucky enough to have only one without a second email address and that one I had used an Android TV device to log in to that particular account, so Google suggested I reset things from there. So all good for me.
    Others had to provide a mobile phone number to get a pin sent by text to unlock their accounts.
    naughto wrote:
    Are they using ipv 6 address

You got it in one I reckon.
    It was later while I was checking through the F2000 I found IPv6 seemed to be enabled.
    I was not aware of that until I was going through the settings.

I will have to go through a lot of stuff tomorrow to get back to where I was with settings etc.

###

:( There seems to be an extra wireless SSID that I did not see in the settings, so will have to track that down. :(
    I expect it is this sharing Wifi thingy .....

I have to sort out phones also ..... I *think* my phone has been left on the copper line.
    I am now wondering if they will try to charge double, as there are apparently two account numbers ..... the old adsl phone & broadband and the new FTTH broadband with basic phone.

Probably more fun to be had in the coming month or two on that one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You got it in one I reckon.
    It was later while I was checking through the F2000 I found IPv6 seemed to be enabled.
    I was not aware of that until I was going through the settings.

Of course it's enabled. It's supposed to be enabled.

IPv6 is the next generation of internet addressing. All providers are migrating towards it and IPv4 will be shut down eventually. Unfortunately this process has been very slow. It's been coming over 15 years now.

Users then disabling IPv6 is working against this process. IPv6 actually helps with for example gaming, because you don't use NAT on IPv6. Every device gets a public IPv6 and it's filtered on the router, so it's secure, but you don't ever get NAT issues.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Forestgm

Hi long time reader first time posting.

General question, is it normal / standard to connect directly to the gpon ( ont ) with no odp supplied. Have seen other installs with both supplied, did ask the installation guy and he said they were in short supply !

Results over wireless on 300mb connection
    250 down 50 up

Was expecting the down to be in the 280’s but I can’t complain was on 3mb before FTTH 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Forestgm wrote: »
    General question, is it normal / standard to connect directly to the gpon ( ont ) with no odp supplied. Have seen other installs with both supplied, did ask the installation guy and he said they were in short supply !

There is a picture here in the forum of an attic install with no ODP used, the only one I've seen.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103081040#post103081040

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

The saga with Eir continues.

After having 4 days off work to have FTTH installed and not enough fiber being installed for the tech to connect me to my assigned distribution point I was informed that I had to create a new order.

When going through the process of creating a new order I was informed that the package that I originally signed up to end of June was no longer available and that I had to go with a more expensive one with not as good benefits like calls to mobiles etc.

This new offer has the standard 99 euro installation fee but also has a 29.99euro connection fee which wasn't in the original offer which I signed a contract for and the sales guy after speaking to his manager said they would be willing to waiver the 29.99 connection fee which realistically I shouldn't have to be paying in the first place considering I signed a contract that had no connection fee.

To make things worse. Years ago I tried to get Eir broadband through the phone line but could get no signal from the exchange. Not even 1 kbps so Eir couldn't continue with the order, and actually charged my like 600euro in one go for "cancelling my contract" which obviously I didn't. Eventually got the money back and got a call from customer service to apologize but in the apology also said that it was my own fault for not cancelling the direct debit. I wish I could charge them for cancelling.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    There is a picture here in the forum of an attic install with no ODP used, the only one I've seen.

i wonder how that works the - surely you would have to have the ODP and couldnt connect up the ONT straight up to the fibre that comes straight in from outside - really?

i wonder how that works the - surely you would have to have the ODP and couldnt connect up the ONT straight up to the fibre that comes straight in from outside - really?

No. All that's in the ODP is a SC/APC plug and a SC/APC connector. It's just a joiner box. It's what makes it possible to replace a shorter fiber run with a longer fiber run from the ODP to the ONT, if needed. Not that you should do that. Even though, even without the ODP, it can still be done with a joiner.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is there an advantage or case to be said for having just one of those boxes and remove a joiner?
    i.e. Wouldn't one less join in the fibre cable be a positive thing?

If yes, can you just ask the installer to do it that way or is there a specific reason/advantage for having both boxes?

KCross wrote: »
    Is there an advantage or case to be said for having just one of those boxes and remove a joiner?
    i.e. Wouldn't one less join in the fibre cable be a positive thing?

If yes, can you just ask the installer to do it that way or is there a specific reason/advantage for having both boxes?

The cable, that goes from the ODP to the ONT is a factory pre-made cable. It's fusion spliced.

The cable, that is installed inside the ODP is a field installed connector without fusion splicing. Depending on how good it is, the ODP would protect it further from handling and from dust/environment.

Also, if you damage the small fiber jump lead, you just replace that. If you make enough of a mess of the cable from the ODP and back ... then you may need to replace the entire run to the DP at the pole.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Marlow wrote: »
    The cable, that goes from the ODP to the ONT is a factory pre-made cable. It's fusion spliced.

The cable, that is installed inside the ODP is a field installed connector without fusion splicing. Depending on how good it is, the ODP would protect it further from handling and from dust/environment.

Also, if you damage the small fiber jump lead, you just replace that. If you make enough of a mess of the cable from the ODP and back ... then you may need to replace the entire run to the DP at the pole.

/M

Summary... going with both boxes is the wiser choice?

KCross wrote: »
    Summary... going with both boxes is the wiser choice?

In my opinion, yes. Yanking the cable out of the ONT by accident and damaging it is easily done. (your oul' nanny with the vacuum cleaner is an expert in that .. the dog, too). And the cable coming into the ODP should be behind that, so she would need to kick it off the wall to make a mess of that.

A replacement cable between ODP and ONT can be shipped by post instead of waiting on an engineer to redo the connector or the entire cable from the DP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Good old Eir sent me a bill for -€43.37 today.

I think the discount form my previous contract and being half way through a FTTH order is confusing poor Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

TheBazman wrote: »
    More failed installation woes -

Short story - Duct is blocked and I need to sort it out. Any idea (if I don't do it myself) who would be able to sort this out - company/contractor/engineer?

Long story - KN guy called on Friday - managed to get the cobra rod out to around my perimeter fence (around 30 meters) which is still around 10 or 12 meters from the access point/box. But he said it was blocked and he couldnt install. I asked if I needed to sort this out myself and he said no, he would call civils, he had taken pictures and they would make an appointment with me. After that I didnt really ask any more questions. What actually happened it seems is that he just rejected it back to the fibre provider. They have confirmed with OpenEir that KN said it was definitely in my property and I need to sort it out myself.

I could go down the route of hiring some cobra rods and digging up the ducting myself but I would prefer not to .

Any ideas who i contact for this?

Cheers

So I hired a cobra reel today - within 15 minutes with a little bit of teasing I had it through. Just shows how little effort the KN guy put in.

So I hired a cobra reel today - within 15 minutes with a little bit of teasing I had it through. Just shows how little effort the KN guy put in.

That and from what I have seen the end they push through is designed to catch on any lip edge it encounters.
    I don't know why there is no small 'ball' in the tip of the rod, to help it bypass joint lips and spurious edges it might meet in the duct.
    Such would also help the rod to negotiate bends instead of getting stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That and from what I have seen the end they push through is designed to catch on any lip edge it encounters.
    I don't know why there is no small 'ball' in the tip of the rod, to help it bypass joint lips and spurious edges it might meet in the duct.
    Such would also help the rod to negotiate bends instead of getting stuck.

That and considering how much it costs to buy - cheap as chips

• Advertisement

I've seen one place, where they had 4 visits by KN who all weren't able to find the end of the duct. Brought my own cobra reel around and 10 minutes later had found the end, no blockages. Roped it, for the actual install.

/M

I logged into myeir this morning to see what it showed for the new FTTH account.
    This is what is shown. The figures must include what was used on the ADSL connection prior to the fibre connection.

Broadband eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb Activated 14.145 GB / Unlimited
    Usage breakdown:
    Download: 12.621GB Upload: 1.524GB

That shows Fibre Extreme which I read in some posts does not mean fully unlimited, that it should be Fibre Ultra to have truly unlimited.

Could someone who knows about this please comment?
    My understanding now is that Extreme means 1TB and Ultra means Unlimited.

Have I misunderstood or am I on a 1TB limited connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

I logged into myeir this morning to see what it showed for the new FTTH account.
    This is what is shown. The figures must include what was used on the ADSL connection prior to the fibre connection.

Broadband eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb Activated 14.145 GB / Unlimited
    Usage breakdown:
    Download: 12.621GB Upload: 1.524GB

That shows Fibre Extreme which I read in some posts does not mean fully unlimited, that it should be Fibre Ultra to have truly unlimited.

Could someone who knows about this please comment?
    My understanding now is that Extreme means 1TB and Ultra means Unlimited.

Have I misunderstood or am I on a 1TB limited connection?
    The package you should be on is broadband ultra 150mb.The Eir fibre Extreme 150mb the old package with fup of 1TB.If your still in your 14 days cooling of period cancel now with the letter they sent you out.

Im unfortunately I've have passed my 14 day cool off period and don't know to try upgraded to 300mb but knowing eir they probably put me on Eir Extreme again dam clowns at Eir.

I tried a chat session which began at 10:28 this morning and finished at 11:24.
    I was attempting to get clarification on the situation of Cap & FUP.
    I was again assured that my account had neither.

Not only that but this wee gem
    Vikas[10:52:30 AM] <Me>, no matter what broadband you take or upgarde after 25th of July, you will be having unlimited allowance without any restrictions.

Now from reading here I know that is untrue.
    Upgraded accounts retained FUP according to posters.

So I asked what is the difference between Extreme and Ultra and got this response
    Vikas[10:54:42 AM] Unfortunately, I am a member of the fixed team. However, I will transfer you to a colleague in Sales team, who will be happy to help you.

So Abdul came on and after a short while I asked and asked again and again eventually getting this response:
    You[11:02:56 AM] can you please explain to me what the difference is between Fibre Extreme and Fibre Ultra? Thank you.
    Abdul[11:05:08 AM] Allow me a moment please.
    You[11:05:18 AM] ok
    Abdul[11:07:48 AM] As a member of the sales team, I unable to help you with this query, I request you please make call on 1901 for this query.

Besides me continuing to ask what eir are selling that is called Fibre Ultra
    and getting nothing back this was the last response I got
    Abdul[11:17:18 AM] Sorry <ME>, we unable to insure you about fibre ultra information, I suggest you please visit eir store, they will surly help you with this query

I asked for an explanation of that, as I did not really understand it, but got no further response from the chat session and eventually closed it at 11:25.

While this was going on I had plentiful visions of John Cleese making several hilarious sketches from it.

I am none the wiser having chatted with two eir reps.

Yes I am well aware of the time I have before my cancellation time runs out. 14 days from Activation date .... so up to the 19th.
    I hope not to have to cancel, but this carry-on in addition to paying €10 more than a 'new' customer, has me really pissed off.

I will try the loyalty team on Monday through 1901.
    I might get some sense from one of them.

:mad::mad::mad:

So I asked what is the difference between Extreme and Ultra and got this response

So Abdul came on and after a short while I asked and asked again and again eventually getting this response:

I asked for an explanation of that, as I did not really understand it, but got no further response from the chat session and eventually closed it at 11:25.

While this was going on I had plentiful visions of John Cleese making several hilarious sketches from it.

Yes I am well aware of the time I have before my cancellation time runs out. 14 days from Activation date .... so up to the 19th.
    I hope not to have to cancel, but this carry-on in addition to paying €10 more than a 'new' customer, has me really pissed off.

I hate to say this but your pissing against the wind with Eir and should be avoided with current Eir customers who have not got fibre yet.If your new customer with no account with Eir you'll get the ultra package.

rob808 wrote: »
    I hate to say this but your pissing against the wind with Eir and should be avoided with current Eir customers who have not got fibre yet.If your new customer with no account with Eir you'll get the ultra package.

The real reason I am prepared to spend time to get it from eir is threefold ...

1. eir sports channels. I don't watch sufficient sport to warrant paying a sub, but do enjoy watching sports.

2. old telephone number I want to keep. It is the same number since P&T days.

3. Real unlimited connection .... not 1TB, 2TB or 3TB etc.

If I cannot have it sorted to my satisfaction, then I will deal with the loss of the sports channels and port my number to a VOIP service.

I would prefer to get sorted with eir.

;)

The real reason I am prepared to spend time to get it from eir is threefold ...

1. eir sports channels. I don't watch sufficient sport to warrant paying a sub, but do enjoy watching sports.

2. old telephone number I want to keep. It is the same number since P&T days.

3. Real unlimited connection .... not 1TB, 2TB or 3TB etc.

If I cannot have it sorted to my satisfaction, then I will deal with the loss of the sports channels and port my number to a VOIP service.

;)
    Im still trying and not getting really anywere contact comreg just in case but don't think they can do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

;)

Have you tried the "talk to.." eir forum on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Vikas[10:52:30 AM] <Me>, no matter what broadband you take or upgarde after 25th of July, you will be having unlimited allowance without any restrictions.

The eir statutory pricing document confirms this is the case and the new package are still being described as eir Fibre Extreme. The old packages are being described in the document as Not available to new or re-contracting customers from 25/07/2018.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf
    For those customers who signed up prior to 25th July 2018, eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month; usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month. This is not applicable to customers who sign up on or after 25th July 2018.

• Advertisement

weekend / overtime staff maybe?
    you might get better joy talking to someone on Monday at around 3pm'ish and if not getting satisfactory results then ask to speak to customer services manager on the phone - speak to the organ grinder, not the monkeys :)

I am only going on past experiences that I have found its better to not phone customer services departments at weekends in the past and have had more joy phoning in weekday office operating hours personally myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement