Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

The Cush wrote: »
    The eir statutory pricing document confirms this is the case and the new package are still being described as eir Fibre Extreme. The old packages are being described in the document as Not available to new or re-contracting customers from 25/07/2018.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf
    It very confusing because if the new ultra being describe as fibre Extreme then you really don't know if your on the unlimited or 1TB and Eir sales at times don't know what there selling so trying to explain to them the package you want feel tiresome.

I sign upto the new ultra package on the 27 August when the ultra package was released only to find im still on 1TB package so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you only got connected in the past week or so then you are on the new package with the unlimited downloads unless you placed this order before the new packages came online and only now got connected in which case you will be still on the old limited download packages. If thats the case just get yourself recontracted to the new package.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Completely unlimited isnt thst big of a draw for 95% of their customers i dont see why they didnt just roll it out to everyone.

Right so i was in a contract with eir and ordered after 25/07, ill still have a 1tb limit right?

Completely unlimited isnt thst big of a draw for 95% of their customers i dont see why they didnt just roll it out to everyone.

Right so i was in a contract with eir and ordered after 25/07, ill still have a 1tb limit right?

Then you are on the new package with unlimited downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It seems inept alright and is only causing ill will with current customers. There is a thread in their Talk To forum where people are getting wound up by their lack of response.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057895884/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

If they wern't making good money from it, I assume it wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

limnam wrote: »
    Have you tried the "talk to.." eir forum on boards?

The eir reps there don't seem to capable of supplying any help regarding the FUP and download limits .

It seems inept alright and is only causing ill will with current customers. There is a thread in their Talk To forum where people are getting wound up by their lack of response.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057895884/

Indeed ,

I started that thread on 27.07.2018 and the only replies that the eir reps keep giving is "we're waiting to hear from the relevant department "

There hasn't even been a response from any of the eir reps since 29.08.2018 :mad:

I think they have me on "ignore" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ninja 12 wrote: »
    The eir reps there don't seem to capable of supplying any help regarding the FUP and download limits .

Indeed ,

I started that thread on 27.07.2018 and the only replies that the eir reps keep giving is "we're waiting to hear from the relevant department "

There hasn't even been a response from any of the eir reps since 29.08.2018 :mad:

I think they have me on "ignore" :D

I wondered what the 'relevant department' was ........ sales? customer service? other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Yeah I only came across the thread after I suggested it.

Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I wondered what the 'relevant department' was ........ sales? customer service? other?

Who knows ??

I think they're hoping the cap will be forgotten about .

I also think they're filing all queries about the cap in the bin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Who knows ??

I think they're hoping the cap will be forgotten about .

I also think they're filing all queries about the cap in the bin :D

if they are making a nice little bit of money off the back of people going over the cap limit maybe this is why they are hoping the customers will forget about it , just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Just an aside - I figure those with Fritzboxes from Airwire/Digiweb/Westnet might read this thread.. . I notice Fritzbox OS 7 is out. I can manually download it but my 7560 doesn't automatically detect that an update is available. Anyone apply it?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just an aside - I figure those with Fritzboxes from Airwire/Digiweb/Westnet might read this thread.. . I notice Fritzbox OS 7 is out. I can manually download it but my 7560 doesn't automatically detect that an update is available. Anyone apply it?

AVM is cautios, when it comes to major updates and leave the end-user with a choice.

There are lots of new features with Fritz!OS 7, so it's worth reading up on that. The highlights can be found here: https://en.avm.de/products/fritzos/fritzos-7/

Fritz!OS has been made available for the 4040 and all of the 75xx series routers. It will not be rolled out to 74xx and routers before that. Those are now considered end of life.

Due to some backend database updates on our provisioning system, we've only updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today. That's the updates from 04.09.2018.

Approx 2000 FTTH premises were added in this update.

Another update will be available tomorrow or latest Wednesday morning.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

AVM is cautios, when it comes to major updates and leave the end-user with a choice.

There are lots of new features with Fritz!OS 7, so it's worth reading up on that. The highlights can be found here: https://en.avm.de/products/fritzos/fritzos-7/

Fritz!OS has been made available for the 4040 and all of the 75xx series routers. It will not be rolled out to 74xx and routers before that. Those are now considered end of life.

Yeah I've looked into it a fair bit. Interestingly my Fritzbox does not automatically detect there is an update. Although it is listed both here and here

Do they do a phased release within the models themselves at all? I'd have expected the box to have picked up there was an update....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

re: my original pole span query.

If you're inside the pole span limits but your eircode is not in their database for availability, what are your options for ordering/installing? Do you order off a neighbour's eircode?

MBSnr wrote: »
    Do they do a phased release within the models themselves at all? I'd have expected the box to have picked up there was an update....

Yes, the updates are phased and not all models get them at once. So even though you can download it manually, the automatic one may only become available a good while later.

As I said, they're very conservative with pushing updates unless it's security critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

leex wrote: »
    re: my original pole span query.

If you're inside the pole span limits but your eircode is not in their database for availability, what are your options for ordering/installing? Do you order off a neighbour's eircode?

What is the reason, that you're not in the database ? Is the house at the end of the cluster ? Or is it a new build ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Marlow wrote: »
    What is the reason, that you're not in the database ? Is the house at the end of the cluster ? Or is it a new build ?

/M

End of a cluster. I am 4 pole spans from last DP. Line not active yet - just looking at my options.

End of a cluster. I am 4 pole spans from last DP. Line not active yet - just looking at my options.

Basically zero chance you will get added

• Advertisement

How do you know you won't be included? I have seen homes not on the fibrerollout map(at the end of a line as yourself) being included when the area goes live. Although that being said I'd say you're borderline at that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Fibre cable being slung up around my area recently with some DP's starting to appear too.

It appears they have only put up one fibre cable on each artery out from the exchange to the rural roads. Is that usual/normal?

From the exchange down my road there are 24 locations listed with the "blue house" icon on their map with some of those business users.

Wouldn't a few heavy users on the 1000Gb/s package (or even a bunch of 350Mb/s users) put that one fibre strand under pressure?

I know it would be hard to max out a 350Mb/s link for an extended period but presumably there is a breaking point where you start to see it affecting your speeds.

Is 24 users on one cable no problem whatsoever or not?

PS: I'm not complaining, just more wondering what to expect.

KCross wrote: »
    Fibre cable being slung up around my area recently with some DP's starting to appear too.

It appears they have only put up one fibre cable on each artery out from the exchange to the rural roads. Is that usual/normal?

From the exchange down my road there are 22 locations listed with the "blue house" icon on their map with some of those business users.

Wouldn't a few heavy users on the 1000Gb/s package (or even a bunch of 350Mb/s users) put that one fibre strand under pressure?

I know it would be hard to max out a 350Mb/s link for an extended period but presumably there is a breaking point where you start to see it affecting your speeds.

Is 22 users on one cable no problem whatsoever or not?

PS: I'm not complaining, just more wondering what to expect.

Yes that is normal. There are 36 fibre strands in that cable.

The way they have designed the network is up to 32 premises sharing 2.5 Gb/s down and 1.24 Gb/s up. Openeir and Huawei are obviously confident that this split ratio will not lead to contention and to be fair there have be relatively few complaints here anyway. Whether this continues as more people join the network remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i just had a thought about people who are not near to a DP or are not on the list for FTTH but have got an active phone line (copper) but havent got a eircode for some reason - if there are 2 villages close together could open eir not run a fibre optic cable to a smaller exchange cabinet in another area/smaller village and service those people by FTTC / VDSL if they have no poles / DP boxes near them instead - should still service 1km shouldnt it to anyone who has a phone line installed even if they are more than 50m from a pole / fibre DP ?

460846.jpg

Yes that is normal. There are 36 fibre strands in that cable.

The way they have designed the network is up to 32 premises sharing 2.5 Gb/s down and 1.24 Gb/s up. Openeir and Huawei are obviously confident that this split ratio will not lead to contention and to be fair there have be relatively few complaints here anyway. Whether this continues as more people join the network remains to be seen.

OK, the cable looks thin enough. I didn't think it had 32 strands in it. Must get a close up of it and see what markings are on it.

So, out of the 32 strands does each premise get a dedicated strand and the load sharing is done at the exchange or is there load sharing across strands as well?

OK, the cable looks thin enough. I didn't think it had 32 strands in it. Must get a close up of it and see what markings are on it.

So, out of the 32 strands does each premise get a dedicated strand and the load sharing is done at the exchange or is there load sharing across strands as well?

It's probably easier to conceptualise if you imagine we have only 32 premises to connect.

One fibre strand leaves the OLT in the exchange. Somewhere along the route to the premises it enters a 1:8 passive splitter. Outputting this splitter we now have 8 fibre strands.

Each of the eight fibre strands enters a 1:4 passive splitter (8 of these splitters). The output of each 1:4 splitter is brought into a premises.

From your one fibre strand leaving the exchange you have now served 32 premises.

i just had a thought about people who are not near to a DP or are not on the list for FTTH but have got an active phone line (copper) but havent got a eircode for some reason - if there are 2 villages close together could open eir not run a fibre optic cable to a smaller exchange cabinet in another area/smaller village and service those people by FTTC / VDSL if they have no poles / DP boxes near them instead - should still service 1km shouldnt it to anyone who has a phone line installed even if they are more than 50m from a pole / fibre DP ?

You're assuming that they care about such people and that the current scheme wasn't simply a land grab to cause issues with the NBP.

It's probably easier to conceptualise if you imagine we have only 32 premises to connect.

One fibre strand leaves the OLT in the exchange. Somewhere along the route to the premises it enters a 1:8 passive splitter. Outputting this splitter we now have 8 fibre strands.

Each of the eight fibre strands enters a 1:4 passive splitter (8 of these splitters). The output of each 1:4 splitter is brought into a premises.

From your one fibre strand leaving the exchange you have now served 32 premises.

Interesting.

And that 1:4 splitter at the end... is that the DP on the pole that is oft talked about here that doesn't have the "light on"?

Interesting.

And that 1:4 splitter at the end... is that the DP on the pole that is oft talked about here that doesn't have the "light on"?

I believe that all the splitters (1:8 and 1:4) are housed in the 3M boxes. Whether every distribution point has a 1:4 splitter I am unsure of. If a DP is serving one premises it would seem wasteful to put a splitter in it when there would only ever be one connection from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Basically zero chance you will get added

OpenEIR have had zero tolerance on adding premises at the end of the cluster. They will not go beyond what's been labelled as the last premise on the rollout. Not even 50m.

If you were in the middle of the rollout and had been left out or build a new house, then there would be a chance. But, when you're past it.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement