Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR have had zero tolerance on adding premises at the end of the cluster. They will not go beyond what's been labelled as the last premise on the rollout. Not even 50m.

If you were in the middle of the rollout and had been left out or build a new house, then there would be a chance. But, when you're past it.

/M

What do you mean by "labelled as the last premise on the rollout"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you were in the middle of the rollout and had been left out or build a new house, then there would be a chance.

/M

And assuming all the ports haven't been assigned to premises

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What do you mean by "labelled as the last premise on the rollout"?

fibrerollout.ie map. If it's past the yellow lines, then they won't play ball. There have been a few exceptions, where they forgot to map a cluster, but if it's not in the APQ and it's past the yellow line, they generally point blank refuse to add it.

Even at 50m past the last premise that's covered.

The only scenario, where you'd sway their stance is, if you prove that the pole with the actual DP is right outside your property. 3 poles away is not going to happen. I even had a case of 100m with 1 year old OpenEIR ducting in place from the pole with the DP to the premise and it was refused.

Adding new builds within the roll out is possible. And those they may have left out.

/M

fibrerollout.ie map. If it's past the yellow lines, then they won't play ball. There have been a few exceptions, where they forgot to map a cluster, but if it's not in the APQ and it's past the yellow line, they generally point blank refuse to add it.

Even at 50m past the last premise that's covered.

The only scenario, where you'd sway their stance is, if you prove that the pole with the actual DP is right outside your property.

/M

That's completely untrue about fibrerollout. I have seen instances where premises not on the map have subsequently appeared in the APQ. That map is not to be trusted.

That's completely untrue about fibrerollout. I have seen instances where premises not on the map have subsequently appeared in the APQ. That map is not to be trusted.

You're reading that wrong.

If OpenEIR go past the lines and list the premise in the APQ, then that's been done by their decision. And no problem ordering it.

If the rollout has been done, you're past the yellow line, all other premises are listed in the APQ, but yours is not and you're past the yellow line, then OpenEIR will NOT entertain, to add you in. Not at 50m, 100m, 150m or any other distance.

We're talking about premises that are NOT in the APQ. Not about premises that are in the APQ.

/M

• Advertisement

You're reading that wrong.

If OpenEIR go past the lines and list the premise in the APQ, then that's been done by their decision. And no problem ordering it.

If the rollout has been done, you're past the yellow line, all other premises are listed in the APQ, but yours is not and you're past the yellow line, then OpenEIR will NOT entertain, to add you in. Not at 50m, 100m, 150m or any other distance.

We're talking about premises that are NOT in the APQ. Not about premises that are in the APQ.

/M

Yes I would agree that if you're not in the APQ you're not going to get connected but in this particular case leex says
    I am 4 pole spans from last DP. Line not active yet - just looking at my options.

Line not active so I'm assuming that there is no APQ for that area so it's slightly premature to be definitively saying they won't be connected although I admit it is far from certain that they will be.

Line not active so I'm assuming that there is no APQ for that area so it's slightly premature to be definitively saying they won't be connected although I admit it is far from certain that they will be.

He was trying to order on the neighbors Eircode. So that suggests, ordering is possible now for his neighbor.

If the rollout hasn't been completed in the area, then it's just a matter of sitting tight and keep checking the neighbors and ones own eircode for it to go live.

But if you get left out past a yellow line, there is no chance of getting added in. I've tried that quite a few times now and they've point blank refused every single time.

/M

He was trying to order on the neighbors Eircode. So that suggests, ordering is possible now for his neighbor.

If the rollout hasn't been completed in the area, then it's just a matter of sitting tight and keep checking the neighbors and ones own eircode for it to go live.

But if you get left out past a yellow line, there is no chance of getting added in. I've tried that quite a few times now and they've point blank refused every single time.

/M

I don't think they tried ordering. I believe he/she was asking if that was an option for them. Wait and see would be the advice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Order not placed yet. Getting "available soon" when checking neighbours eircode. What is relevance of them allowing 4 to 5 pole spans?

leex wrote: »
    Order not placed yet. Getting "available soon" when checking neighbours eircode. What is relevance of them allowing 4 to 5 pole spans?

There is no relevance in how many poles span they are allowed. They have calculated with x premises within their rollout.

If you are outside that scope and past the planned area, then you'll have to wait for the NBP.

"Available soon" is on which broadband checker ?

/M

• Advertisement

There is no relevance in how many poles span they are allowed. They have calculated with x premises within their rollout.

If you are outside that scope and past the planned area, then you'll have to wait for the NBP.

"Available soon" is on which broadband checker ?

/M

Airwire

Airwire

Ah. That means the premise has been indexed. Usually goes live 1-2 months after that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Ah. That means the premise has been indexed. Usually goes live 1-2 months after that.

/M

We've been "available soon" since April. Some vans were in the area fixing ducts earlier in the year but no one seen since.

jgbyr wrote: »
    We've been "available soon" since April. Some vans were in the area fixing ducts earlier in the year but no one seen since.

There are no accurate figures to when "Available soon" becomes enabled. Sure, most (apart from the fibrerollout.ie map) of the other checkers don't even tell you, that they've indexed your premise as that data comes from a different database.

But in most cases it is sort of 1-2 months, from what I've seen. Also, it has been pretty inconsistant how long it has taken OpenEIR from the DPs going up to actual live. Some places 6 months, other places 2 months.

/M

There are no accurate figures to when "Available soon" becomes enabled. Sure, most (apart from the fibrerollout.ie map) of the other checkers don't even tell you, that they've indexed your premise as that data comes from a different database.

But in most cases it is sort of 1-2 months, from what I've seen. Also, it has been pretty inconsistant how long it has taken OpenEIR from the DPs going up to actual live. Some places 6 months, other places 2 months.

/M

What does indexing mean? Is it fair to say if leex's home is not showing up in the indexing they are unlikely to be included in the APQ?

What does indexing mean? Is it fair to say if leex's home is not showing up in the indexing they are unlikely to be included in the APQ?

Not necessarily. The indexing happens in the CLI list, that is also distributed to the operators. That's the list that has all lines, disregardless of technology (copper, fiber, wireless, uso, isdn, etc.)

It is reliable to indicate, that you're included in the rollout from that, but not every premise is indexed until the actual build is done. In the case of Airwires checker, that data has been used to give a more reliable predictive result. The others don't seem to use it.

/M

Not necessarily. The indexing happens in the CLI list, that is also distributed to the operators. That's the list that has all lines, disregardless of technology (copper, fiber, wireless, uso, isdn, etc.)

It is reliable to indicate, that you're included in the rollout from that, but not every premise is indexed until the actual build is done. In the case of Airwires checker, that data has been used to give a more reliable predictive result. The others don't seem to use it.

/M

So the yellow line on fibre map is not the definitive end result for availability? Guessing Open Engineer feedback etc decides what extra premises will be added during build install? Our last DP is at a cross-roads. I am 4 pole spans on 1 road from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Vodafone will now provide FTTH on the eir fibre according to a chat session I had with them today.

Prices have not made it to the web page as yet.

Prices as follows:-

Eir fibre to the home the plans are as follows,
    €25 per month for the first 6 months then

€55 for 150GB, or,
    €65 for 300Mbps; or
    €90 for 1000Mbps
    for the 12 months after the first six months as it is an 18 month contract.
    Also there is a €99 install fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

KCross wrote: »
    OK, the cable looks thin enough. I didn't think it had 32 strands in it. Must get a close up of it and see what markings are on it.

This is the cable - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104460213#post104460213

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

today marks the 3 week anniversary of the Eir door to door Rep calling around to our house and saying good news guys fibre to the home has just gone live in the area and if you sign up with me today there will be a 3 week wait until you get it installed because of the overwhelming take up o getting it installed.

Well 3 weeks is now up and still when I put my eircode in it stills says "FTTH is not available to your home"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

And my story, I wasn’t supposed to get FTTH, but I was added in.

It’s been installed just over a week, and has now stopped working. 2-3 days to repair.

Airwire say it’s probably a badly crimped connection somewhere.

In the back of my mind, I’m worrying that the new fibre is going to be less reliable than the old copper network. Personally, I’d prefer my old 7 meg reliable connection over a flakey 1000 meg connection.

How is everyone else finding their connections since installation? Any outages? If so, what were the reasons?

Maybe KN are rushing installs , mine was literally a Friday afternoon install, so that speaks for itself.
    today marks the 3 week anniversary of the Eir door to door Rep calling around to our house and saying good news guys fibre to the home has just gone live in the area and if you sign up with me today there will be a 3 week wait until you get it installed because of the overwhelming take up o getting it installed.

Well 3 weeks is now up and still when I put my eircode in it stills says "FTTH is not available to your home"

The KN tech who installed mine did a check on the connection and was not satisfied it was as good as it should be. At 150Mb/s I probably would not have noticed, but he still threw away the connector, cleaned the fibre again, and made a fresh connection, with which he was happy.

I have had no problems for the past couple of decades with my copper line.
    I expect the fibre to be as reliable.

I guess for those with overhead connections there is always the danger of failure due to many different causes.

Yep it’s been breezy / windy here past few days. As Martin said, perhaps a loose connection, the breeze might have pulled it. Doesn’t bode well for stormiest conditions, I’m on a hill on west coast of Donegal after all!

That’s same situation for me, copper has been very stable and reliable, fibre pretty much a failure in the first week. Worrying start anyway.
    The KN tech who installed mine did a check on the connection and was not satisfied it was as good as it should be. At 150Mb/s I probably would not have noticed, but he still threw away the connector, cleaned the fibre again, and made a fresh connection, with which he was happy.

I have had no problems for the past couple of decades with my copper line.
    I expect the fibre to be as reliable.

I guess for those with overhead connections there is always the danger of failure due to many different causes.

AidenL wrote: »
    Yep it’s been breezy / windy here past few days. As Martin said, perhaps a loose connection, the breeze might have pulled it. Doesn’t bode well for stormiest conditions, I’m on a hill on west coast of Donegal after all!

That’s same situation for me, copper has been very stable and reliable, fibre pretty much a failure in the first week. Worrying start anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it ...... be thankful it failed early. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it ...... be thankful it failed early. ;)

Id be more grateful if it actually worked ! :D

AidenL wrote: »

"Some" customers ... I'll leave that elephant in the room here.

/M

"Some" customers ... I'll leave that elephant in the room here.

/M

More like "all" customers ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

is there any way joe public can do a test if they have FTTH to pinpoint failures to pinpoint it to either the fibre optic patch cable or the ONT before calling technical support?

Could they pull out the fibre patch lead from the ODP to the ONT and check there is a light there? - can they try cleaning the lens end of the patch lead with a cotton ear bud (with or without say CD lens cleaner fluid) which you could buy to clean laser lens on CD/DVD players?

I know its dangerous to look directly into the light of the laser , but if you disconnected it and didnt look at it directly at least you could still see if there is a light there - even maybe shine it on to a bit of white paper

• Advertisement

is there any way joe public can do a test if they have FTTH to pinpoint failures to pinpoint it to either the fibre optic patch cable or the ONT before calling technical support?

Could they pull out the fibre patch lead from the ODP to the ONT and check there is a light there? - can they try cleaning the lens end of the patch lead with a cotton ear bud (with or without say CD lens cleaner fluid) which you could buy to clean laser lens on CD/DVD players?

I know its dangerous to look directly into the light of the laser , but if you disconnected it and didnt look at it directly at least you could still see if there is a light there - even maybe shine it on to a bit of white paper

I don't think the wavelengths used are visible. There's not much diagnosis you can do. There is a LOS light on the ONT that should light if you have a loss of signal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement