Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

m99T wrote: »
    Ubnt servers.

Mjaeh .. don't know so.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Marlow wrote: »
    Mjaeh .. don't know so.

/M

Yeah. Possible they do use Ookla though. Something to be investigated. To busy setting up my own connection in England at the moment to look into it. Copper sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yeah. Possible they do use Ookla though. Something to be investigated. To busy setting up my own connection in England at the moment to look into it. Copper sucks.

I'd suspect something on the ubnt end. It looks like it's pinging somewhere in Ireland now. Perhaps they changed something.

I'd suspect something on the ubnt end. It looks like it's pinging somewhere in Ireland now. Perhaps they changed something.

They did release 4.28 for the gateway but that was after this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

It’s better than 3g on a phone like I have tonight!
    Mjaeh .. don't know so.

/M

• Advertisement

AidenL wrote: »
    It’s better than 3g on a phone like I have tonight!

Ok you got me there to be honest.

They did release 4.28 for the gateway but that was after this happened.

It might not have required a firmware update. They could have done something smart with the routing so that each device is redirected to a server in it's own country or at least closer than the US.

It might not have required a firmware update. They could have done something smart with the routing so that each device is redirected to a server in it's own country or at least closer than the US.

True. Nothing in the changelog about it, but if they were using ookla as a api then 100% possible that could be the case and it wasn't opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

They have not provided OpenEIR FTTH so far. There are rumors, that that has changed this month, but they definatly would have been the wrong provider to contact back in August.

/M

It is much more than a rumour.

I quoted the prices given to me today via chat with Vodafone, here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108052677&postcount=3259

It is much more than a rumour.

I quoted the prices given to me today via chat with Vodafone, here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108052677&postcount=3259

Site is currently down. New packages being added perhaps?

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html

• Advertisement

Site is currently down. New packages being added perhaps?

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html

Quite possibly, as I mentioned the prices not being on the website and was told it had not yet been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Those prices are exactly the same as they have for Siro - is someone getting confused? (Or I think they were the same when I was checking many hours ago plus their whole site is down again so don't think its anything to do with updating some prices on a page)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Those prices are exactly the same as they have for Siro - is someone getting confused? (Or I think they were the same when I was checking many hours ago plus their whole site is down again so don't think its anything to do with updating some prices on a page)

Are the prices the same as Siro prices?
    They are the same as Eir charges.
    I thought the SIRO prices were a bit lower.

fritzelly wrote: »

I thought that but apparently they only now offer 1Gb on SIRO while this promotion is running.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057907368/

It's hard to know the competence of the support staff on chat though.

I think Vodafone will eventually have to join the network. The bigger it gets the more potential custom they are losing out on.

Are the prices the same as Siro prices?
    They are the same as Eir charges.
    I thought the SIRO prices were a bit lower.
    I thought that but apparently they only now offer 1Gb on SIRO while this promotion is running.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057907368/

It's hard to know the competence of the support staff on chat though.

I think Vodafone will eventually have to join the network. The bigger it gets the more potential custom they are losing out on.

The prices are the same as their SIRO prices, so it's hard to know, if they actually are for OpenEIR FTTH.

The SIRO promotion is seperate (time limited offer) from that and is a special deal, that every SIRO provider, that participates can offer. Not every SIRO provider does, because it also puts obligations on them. It's an initiative by SIRO, not so much the providers.

/M

Vodafone site is back up. There seems to be no changes to FTTH. Still seems to be SIRO only though they are advertising the new Gigabox router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davypg

FTTH is now being provided by Vodafone over the Eir network. SHG3000 modem provided along with ONT on install.

davypg wrote: »
    FTTH is now being provided by Vodafone over the Eir network. SHG3000 modem provided along with ONT on install.

Proof ? Reference ?

/M

Proof ? Reference ?

/M

Might be a trial like the fabled Sky trials. You certainly don't seem to be able to order it on the Vodafone site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

nice sleek looking modem - could have done it in white tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 davypg

Proof ? Reference ?

/M
    I installed it.

Might be a trial like the fabled Sky trials. You certainly don't seem to be able to order it on the Vodafone site.

No mention of a trial to me on chat today ...... and there was mention of 'two type' of FTTH, one Siro and the other Eir.
    When I said the eir fibre passed my home I was given the prices quoted earlier.

No mention of a trial to me on chat today ...... and there was mention of 'two type' of FTTH, one Siro and the other Eir.
    When I said the eir fibre passed my home I was given the prices quoted earlier.

Their pricing and packages were always structured to accomodate to offer both SIRO and OpenEIR FTTH under the same pricing.

Vodafone don't offer the the 600 Mbit/s package on residential (Airwire is actually the only SIRO provider that does) and they only "advertise" 300 Mbit/s, even though it's 350 Mbit/s on SIRO.

There has been rumors in the last couple of weeks, of them starting to offer OpenEIR FTTH ...... their sales guys have so often tried to flog something they didn't have and are at least as clueless as Eir retail.

And obviously they can't afford to offer the promo on OpenEIR FTTH. The wholesale pricing is just too high and it would be a total loss to them.

/M

Rant incoming, apologies in advance.

So KN visited my house this morning, short notice of ten minutes, so my wife let the guy in.

He changed the connectors in the house, checked the DP and confirmed that the DP is now dead after a week.

He has no idea how long an issue like this will take to resolve.

So now, from having a 7 meg download, I now have Zero meg, with no idea when this will change. Wish I had stuck with my old copper solution.

I’m going to enquire about reverting to copper, at least it was reliable, if slow. I only got a week out of the fibre before this happened. Lesson is, never be an early adopter, even if it’s just in your own town land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

AidenL wrote: »
    Lesson is, never be an early adopter, even if it’s just in your own town land.

I'd say you're just unlucky. I was one of the first in my area and no bother from the physical connection side. Although that's no consolation for your current problem....

The only issues I had was Vodafone trying to bill me for calls that had already been paid for and there was a 2 day delay porting the phone over as Digiweb tried to process the wrong number at first and not my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The exchange you are on is a NGA exchange. So everything is set up correctly in OpenEIRs ordering system. They must have technical difficulties with that exchange.

We saw something similar with Castlegregory earlier this year, which took them about 2-3 months past the order date to get right.

I just entered my Eircode into the Eir availability checker and got this

"Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available at *******""

Yesterday on the Eir site, FTTH was unavailable. According the latest update that Airwire was given (11th Sep) there are still no ports available.

Are they messing with the competition?

I have an early cessation charge from eir coming up too, I gave them notice I was moving to another provider, but it seems they disabled my account straight away.

I was hoping that my old VDSL line would still be active, but seems they killed it off when the number was ported over.

Of course they will still charge me for a service which they turned off early. :rolleyes:

Its not getting any easier.

Seems I'll have to get a new VDSL line in until the DP is back online again, or just invest in a 3g dongle.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    I'd say you're just unlucky. I was one of the first in my area and no bother from the physical connection side. Although that's no consolation for your current problem....

The only issues I had was Vodafone trying to bill me for calls that had already been paid for and there was a 2 day delay porting the phone over as Digiweb tried to process the wrong number at first and not my own.

are you talking about VDSL FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) ? -because Vodafone have only started offering FTTH in the last day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

are you talking about VDSL FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) ? -because Vodafone have only started offering FTTH in the last day or so

Erm not sure what you're on about. I'm with Digiweb FTTH having moved from Vodafone ADSL.

I believe AidenL is now wth Airwire having moved from Eir.

• Advertisement

Erm not sure what you're on about. I'm with Digiweb FTTH having moved from Vodafone ADSL.

I believe AidenL is now wth Airwire having moved from Eir.

ah right sorry I got confused when you were mentioning vodafone and FTTH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement