Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No mention of a trial to me on chat today ...... and there was mention of 'two type' of FTTH, one Siro and the other Eir.
    When I said the eir fibre passed my home I was given the prices quoted earlier.

I think I can confirm that, although there was a problem when I spoke with a Vodafone technical services fella. He kept mentioning Siro, and I told him that I wasn't referring to Siro. He said that Vodafone had nothing to do with Eir Fibre.

I told him that "someone" :pac: on Boards had already got confirmation that Vodafone now has access. This inspired him to talk to his supervisor, who put him straight and confirmed that they would be contacting customers (through emails/letters/phone calls) where FTTH was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I just entered my Eircode into the Eir availability checker and got this

"Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available at *******""

Yesterday on the Eir site, FTTH was unavailable. According the latest update that Airwire was given (11th Sep) there are still no ports available.

Are they messing with the competition?

No. They just tend to update very irregular and also often ignore the ready for order date.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

KN failed an install due to my ducting being blocked. I've got someone in to run it now and the pictures are what they have left me with. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?

I had thought they would bring it inside the cavity into the white box (where the old copper was). However , behind that wall is my utility room and I would actually like to enter the premises to the left (passing those washing machine out pipes). Can anyone see anything wrong with this - at least where the installer might say he can't install?

Should I ask the ducting installer to change this to get it into the cavity or will KN run the cable along the exterior, by the 2" pipe, and into my house a feet further one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

azzeretti wrote: »
    KN failed an install due to my ducting being blocked. I've got someone in to run it now and the pictures are what they have left me with. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?

I had thought they would bring it inside the cavity into the white box (where the old copper was). However , behind that wall is my utility room and I would actually like to enter the premises to the left (passing those washing machine out pipes). Can anyone see anything wrong with this - at least where the installer might say he can't install?

Should I ask the ducting installer to change this to get it into the cavity or will KN run the cable along the exterior, by the 2" pipe, and into my house a feet further one?

They should be able to tack the cable to the exterior wall and have it enter the premises where you wish. You should not have to extend the duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What would ye think of fibre cable going up on this pole?!!!! :eek:

461115.JPG

They put it on it anyway. I hope they have a plan to come back and change the pole before the next storm comes in or before they start to ask people to sign up to FTTH as the cable has no chance of surviving.

Are the crew that put up the cable different to the crew that change poles? I would have thought they would send the "pole men" around first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

They should be able to tack the cable to the exterior wall and have it enter the premises where you wish. You should not have to extend the duct.

do they have any extra charges for not a straight forward install ... or if you want the cable brought in a different place? - because if they can tack the fibre cable to the outside wall with cable clips and bring it in another room (well hall in my circumstance) I would prefer it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KCross wrote: »

They put it on it anyway. I hope they have a plan to come back and change the pole before the next storm comes in or before they start to ask people to sign up to FTTH as the cable has no chance of surviving.

Are the crew that put up the cable different to the crew that change poles? I would have thought they would send the "pole men" around first?

They surveyed a large number of damaged poles a while back and earmarked them for replacement but not sure whats happened since.

Sure pop a large jubilee clip around it, be grand.

do they have any extra charges for not a straight forward install ... or if you want the cable brought in a different place? - because if they can tack the fibre cable to the outside wall with cable clips and bring it in another room (well hall in my circumstance) I would prefer it

No extra cost that I know of.

What would ye think of fibre cable going up on this pole?!!!! :eek:

[/IMG]

The pole replacement should have been done first however I have seen fibre put on poles that had been marked "D" (defective). There would be separate crews doing poles and running cable.

ED E wrote: »
    They surveyed a large number of damaged poles a while back and earmarked them for replacement but not sure whats happened since.

Sure pop a large jubilee clip around it, be grand.

be an improvement on Gaffa Tape :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In our area pole replacement across the whole exchange area (fibre and non-fibre lines) began well before the fibre cable was rolled out but the final poles weren't replaced for months after the area going live for FTTH. Pole replacement started slowly with an open-eir crew replacing a couple of poles per week, eventually third-party contractors came in and pole replacement moved up a gear. Fibre installation was all done separately by contractors, an open-eir crew IIRC installed the DPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

azzeretti wrote: »

Most KN will clip it up to the plaster and run it where you need it. They do suggest you come up 600mm from the ground with the duct to avoid damage though, so maybe i'd consider doing that with a little bit more duct.

m99T wrote: »
    Most KN will clip it up to the plaster and run it where you need it. They do suggest you come up 600mm from the ground with the duct to avoid damage though, so maybe i'd consider doing that with a little bit more duct.

our ducting goes right inside an eircom white outdoor plastic box underneath the big ESB outdoor meter box - could they handle bringing it up througn the duct, then outside the box, then clip it to the wall and bring it in by our front door in the hall .. or are they likely not to entertain all that and just bring the fibre through the back of the plastic box and straight into the room on the other side?

our ducting goes right inside an eircom white outdoor plastic box underneath the big ESB outdoor meter box - could they handle bringing it up througn the duct, then outside the box, then clip it to the wall and bring it in by our front door in the hall .. or are they likely not to entertain all that and just bring the fibre through the back of the plastic box and straight into the room on the other side?

Some SIRO installations enter the ESB meter box and the fibre cable is then brought back out of the meter box as in the link below. It should be simply a matter of drilling a small hole in the ETU for the cable to exit. Most of the KN guys I've dealt with have been helpful and willing to accommodate. Just make it clear that you would rather the cable to enter at your hall.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/104722093

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Some SIRO installations enter the ESB meter box and the fibre cable is then brought back out of the meter box as in the link below. It should be simply a matter of drilling a small hole in the ETU for the cable to exit. Most of the KN guys I've dealt with have been helpful and willing to accommodate. Just make it clear that you would rather the cable to enter at your hall.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/104722093

Exactly what Navi said. Seen it done before. KN will take it out if you put a notch in it for them so it wont crush with a door on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Crude drawing of how my neighbours install went today. The DP is at the back of my house and across the estate is a large 3 lane (is +3 cars fit on it road side by side and green areas. They’ve run the cables all the way across and under ESB lines (3x). They could’ve run it underground as there’s a duct no doubt connecting those two poles. Maybe it’s blocked or collapsed) considering this estate was built in 1978 and extended in 1982. At least they carried it out for them though within two weeks. Could’ve left them at the mercy of the NBP. It was dark when I got home but I’ll try get photos in the morning.

Noticed a piece of PSTN equipment missing too. This was a weird square grayish (think ugly 1980s hardware colour) device with what appeared to be a tiny monochrome screen and lights and connected to a huge cable btw the cable remains. I’d probably have to try sketch it

60754 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. Again the 10000 connections per quarter trend continues.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

Over 4500 FTTH premises were added this week.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Have gone from Not Available to Available Soon on the Balinaboola exchange. Progress at last, albeit slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’m back up and running today, open eir fixed the problem in the exchange.

Hopefully it might last a bit longer this time.

Vodafone's new ftth offering sounds decent , 1gb broadband for 25 per month for first 6 months and the 55 there after, 18 month contract. Can't find anything about installation charge though , should imagine its 99euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

AidenL wrote: »
    I’m back up and running today, open eir fixed the problem in the exchange.

Hopefully it might last a bit longer this time.

FTTH is generally more reliable than ADSL to be fair

Vodafone's new ftth offering sounds decent , 1gb broadband for 25 per month for first 6 months and the 55 there after, 18 month contract. Can't find anything about installation charge though , should imagine its 99euro?

That's a great price, best I've seen so far. Any idea of the allowance? Would definitely go with them if it was truly unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Isn't the 1GB pack, 90 pm after? And it looks like installation is 99
    Vodafone will now provide FTTH on the eir fibre according to a chat session I had with them today.

Prices have not made it to the web page as yet.

Prices as follows:-

Eir fibre to the home the plans are as follows,
    €25 per month for the first 6 months then

€55 for 150GB, or,
    €65 for 300Mbps; or
    €90 for 1000Mbps
    for the 12 months after the first six months as it is an 18 month contract.
    Also there is a €99 install fee.

correction wrote: »
    That's a great price, best I've seen so far. Any idea of the allowance? Would definitely go with them if it was truly unlimited.

1TB, disregardless of package.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    1TB, disregardless of package.

/M

Ah, not really gonna cut it nowadays. Eir is still the only ISP offering truly unlimited then.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Have gone from Not Available to Available Soon on the Balinaboola exchange. Progress at last, albeit slowly.

Same for me - changed to Available Soon. Still not really holding too much hope for it being available this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Can anyone recommend a good way of testing speeds on a 1Gb ftth connection. The laptop is capable of 1GB and is i7 etc, but speedtest.net and the likes seem to struggle getting to the 1G. Seems to be topping out at approx 400 or so.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Eir is still the only ISP offering truly unlimited then.

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

FTTH is generally more reliable than ADSL to be fair

Everyone is saying that ! Maybe I was just unlucky in this instance, time will tell.

Anyway Airwire followed up nicely, and it was sorted pretty fast.

The KN guy freaked me out by saying he has seem problems with dead DPs take months to fix, hence my ranting. :o

• Advertisement

tototoe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good way of testing speeds on a 1Gb ftth connection. The laptop is capable of 1GB and is i7 etc, but speedtest.net and the likes seem to struggle getting to the 1G. Seems to be topping out at approx 400 or so.

Speedtest.net is fine, but you have to be picky about what speed test servers you pick. A lot only have a 1 Gbit/s uplink themselves.

Confirmed servers in Ireland with 10gig or more are Galway (Airwire), Carlow (Blacknight) and Sligo (Northwest Broadband).

Also use Firefox. Chrome for example can give odd results. And then don't expect more than 600 on wireless ever. Test has to be done wired.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement