Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

AidenL wrote: »
    The KN guy freaked me out by saying he has seem problems with dead DPs take months to fix, hence my ranting. :o

The KN guys are rarely sensible. What he wouod have referred to is build problems. So issues that are there because the build isn't finished or there is a problem.

Your service was already working, so it's a simple fault. Plus OpenEir have a service level to uphold once a service goes live.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I chanced it and updated my Fritzbox 7560 to OS 7.
    https://ftp.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/other/fritz.os/

The interface had slightly different options for their new mesh offering (which requires other Fritz products to work). There are some improvements to the 5GHz wifi "steering for wireless clients that support the 802.11v/k standards". Also noticed that my ping times had reduced by a couple of ms through the modem.

Anyhow all listed here https://ftp.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/other/fritz.os/info_en.txt

The only thing not working is the Diagnostics | Security menu option when device is set to English. (Works if the language is German, so they just missed it when testing). I flagged it to AVM Support and they said it'll be addressed in an update to OS 7 - whenever that'll be... It's very minor anyhow.

They came out, signed me up, came to install, saw tree branches pushing on the line, came back with dude to cut branches, neighbour said "cut away", tree cutter refused to cut an eir(com) positioned line as a foot over boundary into neighbour's property. Install stalls.

Sky mail me saying that eir have taken control of my line and service ending in 2 weeks. Called eir and they confirm.

So now I can't stay with current provider, as eir own the line again, and eir won't complete the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

They came out, signed me up, came to install, saw tree branches pushing on the line, came back with dude to cut branches, neighbour said "cut away", tree cutter refused to cut an eir(com) positioned line as a foot over boundary into neighbour's property. Install stalls.

Sky mail me saying that eir have taken control of my line and service ending in 2 weeks. Called eir and they confirm.

So now I can't stay with current provider, as eir own the line again, and eir won't complete the install.

Can you not just cut them yourself and call them?

limnam wrote: »
    Can you not just cut them yourself and call them?

Do tree surgery myself or pay for a contractor to come and fix Eircom's original feck up?
    Because there is no way in hell I'm even attempting tree surgery near the line, with power lines (close by) outside the tree line.

The trees predate any line placement

Or Eir could have done an assessment PRIOR to taking over my line and cutting my current supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Do tree surgery myself or pay for a contractor to come and fix Eircom's original feck up?
    Because there is no way in hell I'm even attempting tree surgery near the line, with power lines (close by) outside the tree line.

The trees predate any line placement

Or Eir could have done an assessment PRIOR to taking over my line and cutting my current supply

Ah ok, sounded like a few branches in the way. From reading this thread in a lot of cases to get things done is to just bite the bullet and do it yourself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

correction wrote: »
    That's a great price, best I've seen so far. Any idea of the allowance? Would definitely go with them if it was truly unlimited.

cannot see anything in T&C about 1TB limit - says unlimited , just got about FUP though in the T&C's

[HTML]Vodafone Gigabit Broadband Terms
    Validity: From 3 September 2018, for new or upgrading customers

The following terms and conditions relate to the Vodafone fibre to the building broadband service (the "'Gigabit Broadband Service") and apply in addition to and form part of the General Terms and Conditions of Vodafone Fixed Telecommunications and Broadband Services available on http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed/.

For the avoidance of doubt the below terms will form part of and apply in addition to each participating customer’s terms and conditions of their Vodafone Service. In the event of any conflict between the terms, the order of precedence shall be as follows; the terms and conditions set out below first, followed by the General Terms and Conditions of the Vodafone Fixed Telecommunications and Broadband Services.
    TERM
    1. The Gigabit Broadband Service is subject to a eighteen (18) month minimum term contract (the "Minimum Term") as outlined on your Customer Application Form. After the expiry of the Minimum Term, the Agreement converts to a rolling one-month contract.[/HTML]

[HTML]FAIR USAGE

18. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.

19. The General Terms and Conditions of the Vodafone Fixed Telecommunications and Broadband Service and the definitions therein shall apply. In addition, the following words shall have the following meanings:[/HTML]

there does not seem to be any mucking about with 150mbps or 300mbps - it seems only one package they offer which is 1gb for 25eur per month for 6 months - it does look pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

There is several open eir vans doing the rounds near the exchange, two of them have been parked in at the exchange. Hopefully getting some work done.

There is several open eir vans doing the rounds near the exchange, two of them have been parked in at the exchange. Hopefully getting some work done.

which area of the country you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

which area of the country you in?

Wexford. Most of the exchanges in the county have been completed it seems and I remember Wexford town being one of the first non big counties to get fibre. I'm down near New Ross depending on the Ballinaboola exchange. There's an exchange on the opposite side of us that went as far as a half mile away from us which is already live. Was a little sickened not to be on that exchange but consider myself lucky as it's not that built up an area so could easily have been left out altogether.

• Advertisement

Wexford. Most of the exchanges in the county have been completed it seems and I remember Wexford town being one of the first non big counties to get fibre. I'm down near New Ross depending on the Ballinaboola exchange. There's an exchange on the opposite side of us that went as far as a half mile away from us which is already live. Was a little sickened not to be on that exchange but consider myself lucky as it's not that built up an area so could easily have been left out altogether.

in my area all the cables and DP on the poles have been up since july - still not live yet ... imagine when I look out of my window and see it all there lying dormant .. it sort of rubs salt into the cut!

there does not seem to be any mucking about with 150mbps or 300mbps - it seems only one package they offer which is 1gb for 25eur per month for 6 months - it does look pretty good

Vodafone calls ALL of their FTTH connections "Gigabit service" .. even if you order the 150 or 300 Mbit/s .. the product is "Vodafone Gigabit Broadband". It's "Up to 1,000 megabits per second on our fibre cable straight to your home. 18 month contract applies." for this product.

The FUP applies to them all.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Vodafone calls ALL of their FTTH connections "Gigabit service" .. even if you order the 150 or 300 Mbit/s .. the product is "Vodafone Gigabit Broadband". It's "Up to 1,000 megabits per second on our fibre cable straight to your home. 18 month contract applies." for this product.

The FUP applies to them all.

/M

ah thats right confusing - so the 25per month for 6 months is likely to be 150mbps package then you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ah thats right confusing - so the 25per month for 6 months is likely to be 150mbps package then you reckon?

It should be for all the plans, for the first 6 months, the details that we know were already posted earlier in the week.
    Prices as follows:-

Eir fibre to the home the plans are as follows,
    €25 per month for the first 6 months then

€55 for 150GB, or,
    €65 for 300Mbps; or
    €90 for 1000Mbps
    for the 12 months after the first six months as it is an 18 month contract.
    Also there is a €99 install fee.

It should be for all the plans, for the first 6 months, the details that we know were already posted earlier in the week.

ah I think I get it then - so for 6 months you get 1gbps at 25euro and then after 6 months if you choose to stay on 1gbps you have to pay €90 ..... but you can decide to get 150mbps at €55 - have I that right now?

I imagine they are hoping that people will get used to having the 1gbps speed and will stay on that rather than reducing their speeds

All of those prices are on SIRO. The web page only refers to SIRO. There is no mention of OpenEIR FTTH prices on their website.

So you can't go by anything within those products. The 1000 Mbit/s package is a highly discounted price, that they only can offer on SIRO.

So you will need to engage with them, if you want what they actually are going to charge or read back here, as somebody was on top them. Also, that pricing is only for 6 months out of an 18 months contract. So you need to calculate out, if that actually is a good deal.

I can't remember the "actual" current SIRO pricing for 150 Mbit/s with them. They don't show that anymore, because of the Gigabit promotion. And then add 5-15 EUR for the phone, but that's again only for the first 6 months and goes up then. And I have not been able to find a complete rate sheet. Their website is as messy as their billing department it seems.

Seems like lottery ordering from them :)

/M

in Vodafone T&C's they have a package called Vodafone Gigabit Broadband and then another one called Gigabit Broadband Experience - where it seems you can get 1gb for the full duration of 18 months and then after 18 months default to 150mbps (at the current price that 150mbps is offered at that time)

in Vodafone T&C's they have a package called Vodafone Gigabit Broadband and then another one called Gigabit Broadband Experience - where it seems you can get 1gb for the full duration of 18 months and then after 18 months default to 150mbps (at the current price that 150mbps is offered at that time)

Correct. That is the SIRO promotion. It's a Vodafone Gigabit Broadband product with reduced pricing guaranteed for 18 months.

There is no way, you will see that on the OpenEIR platform, unless OpenEIR slash their wholesale pricing. It's not financially viable otherwise.

Have a look at http://www.siro.ie , select SIRO Roll Out, pick a county, pick a town/city and see, what other providers are offering pricing wise on SIRO. It's a completely different kettle of fish.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Confirmation from Vodafone about them joining the open eir network. Although it seems like there is not full availability of the product yet.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057911098

Confirmation from Vodafone about them joining the open eir network. Although it seems like there is not full availability of the product yet.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057911098

I was looking through the website today to find a complete pricing chart. It's an utter mess, to be honest. Instead I started a support thread now, requesting a link to a complete pricing chart. Lets see, what they say.

It's odd, that they say it's only available in limited areas. Simply, because the same interconnects that they already have for VDSL will do FTTH without any changes on their side.

Unless .... they're 1 Gbit/s interconnects. Then that's obviously not going to fly. Wouldn't take more than a week to get that migrated to a 10gig or 100gig interconnect, once it's in place.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    I was looking through the website today to find a complete pricing chart. It's an utter mess, to be honest. Instead I started a support thread now, requesting a link to a complete pricing chart. Lets see, what they say.

It's odd, that they say it's only available in limited areas. Simply, because the same interconnects that they already have for VDSL will do FTTH without any changes on their side.

Unless .... they're 1 Gbit/s interconnects. Then that's obviously not going to fly. Wouldn't take more than a week to get that migrated to a 10gig or 100gig interconnect, once it's in place.

/M

There was a thread on their Talk To about the cost of a call to 0818 that went on for something like three months so I would not hold your breath waiting for a price list!

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057811176/

There was a thread on their Talk To about the cost of a call to 0818 that went on for something like three months so I would not hold your breath waiting for a price list!

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057811176/

Hillarious comes to mind. I wonder, what Comreg says to that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Just checked my eircode and number for the first time in months. Its saying fibre is available up to 50mbs speeds. Is it a mistake or am I not on ftth. I live in a village and there has been no work in months that I seen

eamo22 wrote: »
    Just checked my eircode and number for the first time in months. Its saying fibre is available up to 50mbs speeds. Is it a mistake or am I not on ftth. I live in a village and there has been no work in months that I seen

What does the Airwire checker say for your Eircode?

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

What does the Airwire checker say for your Eircode?

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Vdsl broadband up to 250mbs available the 26th of September

Vdsl broadband up to 250mbs available the 26th of September

Looks like they have enabled EVDSL (FTTC) on your exchange and you are close enough to get it. Don't mind the 250Mb prediction, that is referring to Supervectoring which has not been deployed yet. No FTTH for you I'm afraid.

Looks like they have enabled EVDSL (FTTC) on you exchange and you are close enough to get it. Don't mind the 250Mb prediction, that is referring to Supervectoring which has not been deployed yet. No FTTH for you I'm afraid.

Whats Supervectoring if you dont mind me asking. On Fttc will I be stuck with there caps. Or like my broadband now is it unlimited. If I get around 50 Ill be happy enough.

Whats Supervectoring if you dont mind me asking. On Fttc will I be stuck with there caps. Or like my broadband now is it unlimited. If I get around 50 Ill be happy enough.

Supervectoring is a technology that enables higher data rates on relatively short copper lines. Open eir have been testing it and are expected to launch it in the new year.

All new eir contracts are cap free I believe but you have other choices than eir. A list of ISPs is here:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Supervectoring is a technology that enables higher data rates on relatively short copper lines. Open eir have been testing it and are expected to launch it in the new year.

All new eir contracts are cap free I believe but you have other choices than eir. A list of ISPs is here:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Perfect thanks for all of that and the info

• Advertisement

It's actually quite funny ... ( actually to cry ) ....

a couple of the Kildare exchanges, like Calverstown, were recently FTTH enabled ... then flagged for either problems or all ports used up ... after a good chunk of FTTH have successfully been installed.

Now they're deploying FTTC to the same homes.

You in the Naas area by any chance ?

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement