Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

is it an old / outdated ... wrong then?

Firstly it doesn't distinguish between FTTC and FTTH.

Secondly it is from eir retail who would not be known for their timely updates.

I would not trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Firstly it doesn't distinguish between FTTC and FTTH.

Secondly it is from eir retail who would not be known for their timely updates.

I would not trust it.

thanks .. you have restored my faith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Ignore it.

So is there anywhere reliable for Joe Soap to check for updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

The dp us up, youre very close

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The dp us up, youre very close

Not so, could be months away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭irishgoat

I was down for by the end of 2018. I lost all hope as nothing happening at all. The last week I saw 2 KN guys at the end of the road, I stopped and asked them. They said they needed access to a farmers field, I pointed them in the right direction to the chap. I asked them do they think I'd have it by the end of the year being so close and they said yes. Haven't seem them since that day and I have a little, very little bit of hope but somehow I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

irishgoat wrote: »
    I was down for by the end of 2018. I lost all hope as nothing happening at all. The last week I saw 2 KN guys at the end of the road, I stopped and asked them. They said they needed access to a farmers field, I pointed them in the right direction to the chap. I asked them do they think I'd have it by the end of the year being so close and they said yes. Haven't seem them since that day and I have a little, very little bit of hope but somehow I doubt it will happen.

Same here - the second half of 2018 no poles replaced no hedges cut.
    Asked openeir and they told me work was scheduled to start in September.
    I asked them when in September and they got into defensive mode - "dates get pushed out yada yada" so basically you'll see it happening when it happens - that might be never.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Turbbo how did you ask open air. Phone email.?

through PM on twitter - as I've learned you'd be better off not contacting them as all the answers are either lies or prepared and mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Folks once again you wont be able to get ANYTHING from OpenEir. They do not answer questions from the public (Unless you're really lucky or fool them into thinking your with a provider).

The OpenEir departments team is also NOT OpenEir, its KN Networks.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that there will be many delayed installs over the next few days as repairs are dome to the existing infrastructure, a couple of poles got "dinged" by falling trees just up the road from me,.
    The cables & fibre are intact but no longer connected to the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

m99T wrote: »
    Folks once again you wont be able to get ANYTHING from OpenEir. They do not answer questions from the public (Unless you're really lucky or fool them into thinking your with a provider).

They appear to answer questions fine. I tweeted them asking what the story with updating their map was. They asked me to DM my eircode, and they replied with an updated timeframe for my area.

m99T wrote: »

The OpenEir departments team is also NOT OpenEir, its KN Networks.

Tits on a bull!

They appear to answer questions fine. I tweeted them asking what the story with updating their map was. They asked me to DM my eircode, and they replied with an updated timeframe for my area.

Yeah - how vague was the timeframe? 6 months? month? If not vague then see if they stick to it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

That will be the social media team. I believe its also managed by the same people that do appointments (KNN).

OpenEir are practically by law not allowed to talk to joe public for fears of anti-trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Appointments would be KNN FLMs and W/S Customer Care.

All social media will no doubt be in HSQ, just on different floors (WS/Retail divide).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

fed.jpgSee some progress on the Fedamore exchange :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I would imagine that there will be many delayed installs over the next few days as repairs are dome to the existing infrastructure, a couple of poles got "dinged" by falling trees just up the road from me,.
    The cables & fibre are intact but no longer connected to the pole.

Ah yes I cannot wait for the "fibre work in your area has been setback due to problems caused by storm Ali" .... (Or whatever next storm comes along) gives them some other excuse to dish out to as to why its taking so long to finish the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

The 7490 is an outgoing model. It's being replaced by the 7590. So we will only have 7490s as long as stock lasts. Also, it doesn't look like the 7490 will be getting the new Fritz!OS 7 anymore.

Just released today - OS 7.01 for the 7490 after all. Probably fixed a few bugs over the 7.0 release as well.

http://download.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/other/fritz.os/

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just released today - OS 7.01 for the 7490 after all. Probably fixed a few bugs over the 7.0 release as well.

http://download.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/other/fritz.os/

Good. They probably included them, as they still are sold widely. The 7530 is not out yet and the 7590 has only come in recently.

• Advertisement

A few points from Carolan Lennon's appearance before the Committee on Communications, Climate Action and Environment.

She stated that the average cost to connect a rural premises is €450 so open eir are actually taking a hit by only charging €270. She highlighted rural connection charges in the UK which are higher and rubbished ALTO's claims by saying they were not comparing like with like in that they were using urban connection charges from around Europe to make an unfair comparison with eir's rural charge.

She also stated that eir would have built the 300k rural network even if there was no NBP. I have my doubts about this but I guess it is a subjective opinion about a hypothetical.

She confirmed that take up on the rural FTTH network is just over 20%. The committee did not ask her if that was in line with expectation.

She also confirmed that Sky had just joined the open eir FTTH network.

The overall impression I got from watching it was that the Committee never really laid a glove on Lennon. The TD's are obviously not experts in this area and it showed with a lot of meandering, ill-informed questions. Eamon Ryan, given that he is a former Minister of Communications, was particularly poor. He didn't seem to understand the difference between FTTC and FTTH or how open eir would interact with their wholesale customers particularly Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

He did make one good point that common sense would say that all we need are the ESB poles and no duplication. Lennon seemed to agree, so she must see ESB pole access as positive for Eir and not negative in terms of lost access fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

She confirmed that take up on the rural FTTH network is just over 20%. The committee did not ask her if that was in line with expectation.

Thats terrible, isn't it? I would have thought it would be much higher considering it is a quality service (once up and running).

That might explain why vendors are pulling out of the rural broadband arena as you need to factor in low take-up which drives overall cost up and they realised they couldn't make it work without more govt money?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rural TDs are all about how broadband is terrible and its ruining the state etc. There's your brass tax. Same as the POs, complain they're closing but won't actually use them.

KOR101 wrote: »
    He did make one good point that common sense would say that all we need are the ESB poles and no duplication. Lennon seemed to agree, so she must see ESB pole access as positive for Eir and not negative in terms of lost access fees.

I think it all stemmed from a Brian Stanley question. He seemed to be in implying that the ESB would have been a better choice for the NBP because they have poles to every home. Lennon completely misinterpreted his question, perhaps deliberately, saying something like oh it would have been great if eir could have had access to ESB infrastructure.

Ryan then picked up on this saying that no duplication would be great.

The fact that none of them seemed to realise is that if the NBP goes ahead now as planned the fibre will be on eir poles so the chances of removing them are zero. The no duplication ship has sailed.

KCross wrote: »
    Thats terrible, isn't it? I would have thought it would be much higher considering it is a quality service (once up and running).

That might explain why vendors are pulling out of the rural broadband arena as you need to factor in low take-up which drives overall cost up and they realised they couldn't make it work without more govt money?

I would have been expecting it to be higher myself given the cries about poor rural broadband that we constantly hear. However it is early days and I believe eir would be looking longer term for ROI. I don't know what rate they would have targeted at this stage. As I said she was not questioned further on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Although it's not live where I live yet, it is in a village near me and I've seen absolutely no advertising and when I tell people that fibre is available their they are shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Between a lack of advertising, not flagging availability in advance and people being stuck in contracts, it's no wonder that the take up is low so far - I would expect that figure to rocket once people start to know it's there and end their current contracts.

correction wrote: »
    Although it's not live where I live yet, it is in a village near me and I've seen absolutely no advertising and when I tell people that fibre is available their they are shocked.

That is a good point. I wonder how many people have it available but are unaware. I know eir used to send letters to homes that were passed but I don't know if they are still doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yeah of my three neighbours, one is in a contract until Dec but will probably get it installed. Another pulled rope through his ducting (after I lent him the rods I hired...) but hasn't ordered it for some reason and his internet is really dire 3Mb ADSL. The 3rd I'm not sure about but there's only one connection from the DP (mine) - take up 25% then. Been available to order for over 7 wks now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement