Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

oleras wrote: »
    When i enter my eircode i get this :

Is this just a clerical issue, in that you cant know exactly how many connections in each DP are in use ? there are only 2 coming out of my nearest one.

WRT changing providers, is that all done on your side once i provide that universal number thing and you post out a modem to me ?

Do you have FTTH already ? In that case, it's just the matter of you supplying the UAN for your line and we will ship you a new router. It's an electronic changeover.

The message "No ports available" refers to either, that all lines are in use on the DP or with new builds there can be problems with the exchange or the rollout. It only matters to new lines. If it's a new build issue, it will be resolved within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Do you have FTTH already ? In that case, it's just the matter of you supplying the UAN for your line and we will ship you a new router. It's an electronic changeover.

The message "No ports available" refers to either, that all lines are in use on the DP or with new builds there can be problems with the exchange or the rollout. It only matters to new lines. If it's a new build issue, it will be resolved within a few weeks.

I have had FTTH since November last year. As i said, only 2 homes are hooked up through that DP.

You are top of the list at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I am still getting No Ports available 7 weeks later after the initial go live date :(

I am still getting No Ports available 7 weeks later after the initial go live date :(

In a few extreme cases it's taken 3 months to sort the issues out. If for example the exchange equipment arrived faulty.

We can enquire about timeframes for specific exchanges, but we only do that for customers, who have ordered with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

still no FTTH available for me - airwire checker still says 'coming soon' .... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

still no FTTH available for me - airwire checker still says 'coming soon' .... :(

Yeah the rollout doesn't seem to honor any of it's planning was supposed to be starting in my area this month - month is almost over - not one kn van seen not one pole replaced not one hedge cut. Zero activity. I wonder is there anything going on anywhere - all I see round here is Siro and Actavo who're working with them. Eir and KN are non-existent at least here in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I suggest you put a length of pex or hydrodare piping through the attic with a draw-rope so the installer (or you) does not have to go into the attic on installation day. Make sure there are no sharp bends on the pipe and that it is unlikely to get damaged.

Thank you for that. What internal diameter should the piping be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kilcash

Our pricing has been updated today.

Martin, I see another update on your website today 25th Sept 2018.
    Airwire now has NO CAP on FTTH products. How did I miss this announcement?
    I'm already a very happy customer (7 days from order to install), so well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Still the same old "currently no ports available for me" near Listowel, but there's been a lot of activity from the KN fellas in recent days. They were even poking around under an inspection lid at the side of the road about 25 yards away from our house yesterday. I was in a hurry to get somewhere so didn't stop to get any hints, and they cleared off by the time I got back. No one's connected to any of the DPs around here, so they must be still "fixing" something. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Poulgorm wrote: »

The drop cable they have been using is tiny 5.3mm on it's largest side. They may have switched to a new type cable but it is not going to be massively larger. Once your entry hole and piping, if you use it, can accommodate that you should be fine. 10mm for both hole and pipe would do.

• Advertisement

Martin, my Eir contract is up near the end of november so im starting to shop around.

When i enter my eircode i get this :

Is this just a clerical issue, in that you cant know exactly how many connections in each DP are in use ? there are only 2 coming out of my nearest one.

WRT changing providers, is that all done on your side once i provide that universal number thing and you post out a modem to me ?

Just out of interest has there been a large take up of the service in your immediate area? Technically if you and 31 of your neighbours had the service it would be a reason for no more ports. Do other DPs close to you have lots of drop cables coming from them?

Another thing to try is enter an Eircode of a close neighbour who doesn't have the service. Do you still get no ports available?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I did not take a vernier to the bit of cable I had before I gave it to a friend, so I don't have the exact size unfortunately.

I reckon it was somewhere close to 9mm in diameter.

It consists of two strands of fibre in a twin plastic covering, surrounded by padding, enclosed in a plastic lined full metal sheath (aluminium I think) and the whole lot covered by a very strong thick plastic covering.
    (above by memory).

I would imagine a 1/2" pex pipe would be suitable ...... but larger would be better to allow for securely attaching the fibre cable to the pull rope.

In addition I would poke the pex pipe through any hole you drill at either end to ensure the cable does not chaff going through the hole.
    It can always be pushed back in after installation, if required.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Just out of interest has there been a large take up of the service in your immediate area? Technically if you and 31 of your neighbours had the service it would be a reason for no more ports. Do other DPs close to you have lots of drop cables coming from them?

Another thing to try is enter an Eircode of a close neighbour who doesn't have the service. Do you still get no ports available?

Very low takeup, just by visually checking the boxes.

I checked other eircodes and of the 6 i checked, it was 50/50 whether it was available or no ports.

It seems anyone with it is showing no ports available.

Very low takeup, just by visually checking the boxes.

I checked other eircodes and of the 6 i checked, it was 50/50 whether it was available or no ports.

It seems anyone with it is showing no ports available.

Thanks. I thought it might be something like that. It should have no bearing on you changing ISPs I was just curious about why it was happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

I used half inch outside and KN said it would be grand. The fibre is very thin

I used half inch outside and KN said it would be grand. The fibre is very thin

What diameter is 'very thin'?
    Was this with the older cable or the newer?

What diameter is 'very thin'?
    Was this with the older cable or the newer?

Well the distribution cable on the poles has 36 fibres in it and is only 8.3mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Picky owner

I found out i can get ftth,will need an overhead drop,heard terrible things about eir,do i have to go with them for first time install(never had a phoneline before)or will any other provider do the install,or will i have to go with eir first and then switch down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I found out i can get ftth,will need an overhead drop,heard terrible things about eir,do i have to go with them for first time install(never had a phoneline before)or will any other provider do the install,or will i have to go with eir first and then switch down the road?

OpenEir are the only company that install regardless of provider.

kilcash wrote: »
    Martin, I see another update on your website today 25th Sept 2018.
    Airwire now has NO CAP on FTTH products. How did I miss this announcement?
    I'm already a very happy customer (7 days from order to install), so well done.

The changes were announced last Friday and also apply to current customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

m99T wrote: »
    OpenEir are the only company that install regardless of provider.

That probably came across wrongly. OpenEIR are the only ones to deal with the rural fibre.

But you can order of any of the providers with a house logo here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

You do not have to order from Eir retail. You actually have a choice of 8 providers.

/M

No, you don't have to go with eir (retail). Any of the providers listed on the following link with a circular green home icon should be able to arrange installation for you. It is up to yourself to compare providers to see what suits.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Marlow wrote: »
    That probably came across wrongly. OpenEIR are the only ones to deal with the rural fibre.

But you can order of any of the providers with a house logo here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

You do not have to order from Eir retail. You actually have a choice of 8 providers.

/M

Yeah I didn't read you're post just right, Marlow has some good info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Picky owner

Thanks for that info will definitely look into it.

Anyone else on eir seeing increased latency tonight? I'm getting over 30ms to Blueface when it would usually be <5ms. Also seeing a small amount of packet loss on Blueface VoIP calls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Anyone else on eir seeing increased latency tonight? I'm getting over 30ms to Blueface when it would usually be <5ms. Also seeing a small amount of packet loss on Blueface VoIP calls.

no problems here, same latency as day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

looks like a latency problem within the blueface network to me.

Gonzo wrote: »
    no problems here, same latency as day 1.

I think it's a problem with certain routes into INEX so could be an issue with them and not eir.

tuxy wrote: »
    looks like a latency problem within the blueface network to me.

I'm getting the same increased latency pinging inex.ie so I think it may be an INEX issue.

• Advertisement

yep.

Both blueface and inex are around 59 ms

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement