Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

yep.

Both blueface and inex are around 59 ms

Thanks! Good to know it's not a local issue anyway. Hopefully be sorted soon.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm seeing 5ms pings to inex.ie from a Westnet IP.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm seeing 5ms pings to inex.ie from a Westnet IP.

I don't fancy my chances of getting eir support to do anything so I'll leave it for tonight and hope it's fixed by tomorrow! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomEire

At long last dp boxes are put up, got talking to one of the openeir lads he said takes two months before it will be live without any problems,he thinks its 100mb line which doesnt make sense to me.

TomEire wrote: »
    At long last dp boxes are put up, got talking to one of the openeir lads he said takes two months before it will be live without any problems,he thinks its 100mb line which doesnt make sense to me.

No it doesn't make any sense. If you're covered you should have three packages available 150/30 300/50 or 1000/100Mb. That DP is not properly installed either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Who the f'ck are they hiring....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomEire

No it doesn't make any sense. If you're covered you should have three packages available 150/30 300/50 or 1000/100Mb. That DP is not properly installed either.

They have put all the dp at base of pole where i am but have the brackets for dp boxs at the top of the pole couldnt figure out why they left them at ground level when they put up the brackets the same day,i think they joined up the fibre cable in the back of the van the same day.(fibre cable is underground)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Ah yes! The industry standard 'cabletie the ****er to the pole' technique. First mastered by major wISP Bluebox Broadband in the North west of Ireland. Years of study can provide only a basic knowledge of this technique.

I see they have also adapted the very professional and weather proof 'tipex thon number to her boy' approach to the labeling in the area. Very nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

m99T wrote: »
    Ah yes! The industry standard 'cabletie the ****er to the pole' technique.

You can't beat a roll of tape

8KY0akL.jpg

3QQwyfD.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102828186&postcount=3792

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They've done it like that in a lot of places. The DP gets temporarily mounted at the bottom of the pole until splicing etc. is finished.

Sometimes fitted with a cable-tie. Sometimes fitted with white PVC tape.

I guess it's better than fitting them at the top and then falling down and getting smashed up.

There's a different crew doing the final fitting on where it belongs.

Talking about a waste of man-power.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

No, you don't have to go with eir (retail). Any of the providers listed on the following link with a circular green home icon should be able to arrange installation for you. It is up to yourself to compare providers to see what suits.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

..... and even that page they cannot keep updated - because Vodafone offer FTTH now but you wouldnt know it looking at that list of suppliers because it hasnt got the green home icon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Fibre rollout map doesnt seem to be very accurate near me. I see one side-road that is cabled for a distance of over 1km but on the rollout map is marked for no coverage. Checking eircodes on this road is reporting fibre will be available soon on the Airwire checker.

I am hoping for similar where I live. There are poles being replaced past my house this week. I have heard from someone talking to contractor that "this is for broadband install". My road is not enabled on map either. I am 4 pole spans from DP. Keeping fingers crossed.

leex wrote: »
    Fibre rollout map doesnt seem to be very accurate near me.

The map hasn't been updated since May and may no be kept updated.

The Cush wrote: »
    The map hasn't been updated since May and may no be kept updated.

So if initial plan/map is strictly enforced, how does a road like I have mentioned become included?

So if initial plan/map is strictly enforced, how does a road like I have mentioned become included?

30,000 locations have been added to the initial 300,000, that includes houses in my area.
    Carolan Lennon, eir CEO

I am pleased to inform the committee that Eir will deliver even more than that to which it committed in 2017 and will pass an additional 30,000 homes and businesses in rural Ireland, bringing the total premises to 330,000 and the total private capital investment up to €250 million.

The Cush wrote: »
    30,000 locations have been added to the initial 300,000, that includes houses in my area.

So these 30,000 are likely "low hanging fruit" discovered when doing their cable installs?

So these 30,000 are likely "low hanging fruit" discovered when doing their cable installs?

The initial 300,000 was a desktop exercise but when they went out on the ground they found these extra properties could be added within or close to budget.

She was in before the Communications Committee last week discussing this and other related - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_communications_climate_action_and_environment/2018-09-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

They would do your head in.

Called eir/KN whoever on tuesday to book and install for thursday morning all grand, got a text confirmation booked a half day off work.

Got a call from kn just now:
    okay were just checking someone will be in the house between 9-5 tomorrow
    well no I was told it was a morning install
    nope came from eir as all day
    that doesnt suit me im taking a half day I need to know morning or afternoon
    okay Ill book an afternoon appointment 12-5 I cant book morning now and youll get 30 mins notice
    okay grand.

Grand for me, work is flexible, I can leave anytime after 12 or if I get a call in the morning before I get to work I can just take the morning off but id put money on him arriving at 9 or 10 when im at work

was half tempted to just leave it all day and hope it was the morning but thats a bit of a risk

Just getting the feeling now this is going to **** up and be another failed install

They would do your head in.

Called eir/KN whoever on tuesday to book and install for thursday morning all grand, got a text confirmation booked a half day off work.

Got a call from kn just now:
    okay were just checking someone will be in the house between 9-5 tomorrow
    well no I was told it was a morning install
    nope came from eir as all day
    that doesnt suit me im taking a half day I need to know morning or afternoon
    okay Ill book an afternoon appointment 12-5 I cant book morning now and youll get 30 mins notice
    okay grand.

Grand for me, work is flexible, I can leave anytime after 12 or if I get a call in the morning before I get to work I can just take the morning off but id put money on him arriving at 9 or 10 when im at work

was half tempted to just leave it all day and hope it was the morning but thats a bit of a risk

Just getting the feeling now this is going to **** up and be another failed install

ah bloody hell - try keep positive :) ... i reckon this time will be the one - good luck

ah bloody hell - try keep positive :) ... i reckon this time will be the one - good luck

Ha thanks yeh both ducts have draw wires so should be no problem once they get there.

• Advertisement

Ha thanks yeh both ducts have draw wires so should be no problem once they get there.

if there is a problem when they get there I am afraid you might have to 'bribe' them to finish off the job LOL :D - say to them "we either go the easy way, here lads, for a drink (waving a crisp 50quid note)...." at them and see if that works LOL

if there is a problem when they get there I am afraid you might have to 'bribe' them to finish off the job LOL :D - say to them "we either go the easy way, here lads, for a drink (waving a crisp 50quid note)...." at them and see if that works LOL

I can confirm that for 20 quid a installer panned me out the underground cable during a failed install so that we could get it done quicker when he came back. Failed DP install update 9000 right there.

What a useless shower.

Call today at 10.00 to say KN was outside the house. Nevermind that the appointment was for after 12.

So he says he needs a hoist (im assuming the pole is at abit of an angle and thats the reason)

KN guy No1 did say the pole was at an angle and he would a hoist. But the dp wasnt live so he couldnt do it anyway
    KN guy No2 didn't seem bothered about the angle but eir's duct was blocked
    KN guy No3 today (could be KN guy No1 again but I dont think so) wont go up the pole so is ordering a hoist.

Said it could be any day even next week but im in dubai next week.

I dont blame the KN guys, why would any of them sort anything or arrange anything if they dont get the job the second time and someone else gets paid for it.

I could have taken a day off today for a guy to look up a pole and say no Im not going up there. Its the worst customer experience.

What a useless shower.

Call today at 10.00 to say KN was outside the house. Nevermind that the appointment was for after 12.

So he says he needs a hoist (im assuming the pole is at abit of an angle and thats the reason)

KN guy No1 did say the pole was at an angle and he would a hoist. But the dp wasnt live so he couldnt do it anyway
    KN guy No2 didn't seem bothered about the angle but eir's duct was blocked
    KN guy No3 today (could be KN guy No1 again but I dont think so) wont go up the pole so is ordering a hoist.

Said it could be any day even next week but im in dubai next week.

I dont blame the KN guys, why would any of them sort anything or arrange anything if they dont get the job the second time and someone else gets paid for it.

I could have taken a day off today for a guy to look up a pole and say no Im not going up there. Its the worst customer experience.

oh no, commiserations .. and all that job you done on your ducting as well - the whole setup sounds so amateurish .. how can it be efficient/ economical for them with all the failed installs that they keep doing

They dont care because the kn guys are doing eir's job for them for free and get paid if they install

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Had kn out to survey house this week, they need to install a pole. Anyone know how long a delay this normally causes ? On the installation, does this mean they're going to bring cable in thru attic? I would like the router in a central location, I could do the prep work ie have a path ready to feed cable thru. But I don't want to drill holes etc for them and turn round and refuse to put it where I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pole on your property will be a coupla weeks and the cable will be attached to the outside, they don't work in attics unless you have ducting in place to feed the cable thru

Had kn out to survey house this week, they need to install a pole. Anyone know how long a delay this normally causes ? On the installation, does this mean they're going to bring cable in thru attic? I would like the router in a central location, I could do the prep work ie have a path ready to feed cable thru. But I don't want to drill holes etc for them and turn round and refuse to put it where I want it.

If you put a duct through the attic with a pull rope in it they will run it through that duct.

But that's the official way to do it.

As long as you are willing to get in the attic and pull the cable across they will usually let you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

That's grand, i can get stuck in to getting ready then. What's the cable diameter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's grand, i can get stuck in to getting ready then. What's the cable diameter?

They differ depending on if it gets brought in overhead or underground. Even with another pole, you still have the option to bring it in underground. If you want to. You would have to supply the ducting for that of course.

The overhead cable is extremely thin and flimsy. Less than 3mm.

The underground cable is 1 inch or more. Would need to look it up.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement