Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

tuxy wrote: »

Be careful if you do ask them to remove the FUP, they may disconnect your service

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057915421

I shouldn't, but I am laughing. Mother of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Yeh ordered 07 aug. I was already in contract with them though.

I dont think id go over 1tb but the unlimited is just more peace of mind

Ah i think it'll be okay even with the 1tb. Its madness that you can't tell from your contract etc

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

So I see eir connecting rural fibre in my area at the moment... Im 200 meters from the nearest point... if i ran the ducting myself any chance they would connect me... I own the land where this duct will be buried at my owm expense.

I contacted Eir long time back got talking to an indian guy who wasnt a bit helpful.... so I gave up on it.

Any one tried this before? Who should I contact or is a dead loss

So I see eir connecting rural fibre in my area at the moment... Im 200 meters from the nearest point... if i ran the ducting myself any chance they would connect me... I own the land where this duct will be buried at my owm expense.

I contacted Eir long time back got talking to an indian guy who wasnt a bit helpful.... so I gave up on it.

Any one tried this before? Who should I contact or is a dead loss

If its UG then their own documents provide information for that length of run. Just make it up to spec with the access boxes:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

200M of duct needs 100mm ducting.

Also you'd want the Onboarding team or as they are sometimes called the Connect Team. I'll get their number for you, I have a direct line written down somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

m99T wrote: »
    If its UG then their own documents provide information for that length of run. Just make it up to spec with the access boxes:

There's not much point in him laying ducting if he's not going to be connected.

Galway_guy_33 have you checked your Eircode on https://fibrerollout.ie (check 300k)? What does it say?

• Advertisement

Galway_guy_33 have you checked your Eircode on https://fibrerollout.ie (check 300k)? What does it say?

Completely forgot about this!!

My apologies Galway_guy

Thanks for the quick reply.... when you say UG you mean upgrade right?

Im a new customer dont have even a basic phone line to the house right now.

So from your reply look positive enough if I run the duct for them... cheers for the document.

So i should call eir again I guess

Also you'd want the Onboarding team or as they are sometimes called the Connect Team. I'll get their number for you, I have a direct line written down somewhere.

Thanks for the quick reply.... when you say UG you mean upgrade right?

Im a new customer dont have even a basic phone line to the house right now.

So from your reply look positive enough if I run the duct for them... cheers for the document.

So i should call eir again I guess

Sorry, I should have made that abit clearer my bad!

UG is in refrence to a UnderGround Cable. I believe (Open to correction) that a overhead install is limited to a distance of 50 meters.

But check out Navi's post and check that you will actually be on the rollout map before you go digging.

If your EirCode is on the rollout then it should be a case of run the duct!

Ok just checked it says the following:

"As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP). "

If I ran the duct across my own land 200 meters it would be at a pole where they have the fibre cable coiled up for another house....this house is marked with the blue symbol.... however mine isnt.... so I guess that what im asking any chance they would connect me then.. Id get proper manholes put in etc

"As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP). "

If I ran the duct across my own land 200 meters it would be at a pole where they have the fibre cable coiled up for another house.... so I guess that what im asking any chance they would connect me then.. Id get proper manholes put in etc

Navi will probably have the answer to that but i'm pretty sure its a no.

• Advertisement

Navi will probably have the answer to that but i'm pretty sure its a no.

Ah yeah what I was kinda thinking it would be... ill be sticking with Imagine so.. :(

If I ran the duct across my own land 200 meters it would be at a pole where they have the fibre cable coiled up for another house.... so I guess that what im asking any chance they would connect me then.. Id get proper manholes put in etc

The way it works is when an area goes live open eir who build the network release a list of Eircodes of premises that can order to ISPs. If your Eircode is not on this list you can't order. It doesn't matter where you run duct to, they will not connect you.

Your only hope is that when the area goes live that they will have included your Eircode in their list. It has happened in a few areas that premises that failed that test were included. I would not be relying on that happening though.

Ah yeah what I was kinda thinking it would be... ill be sticking with Imagine so.. :(

Really unlucky that. I guess if you wanted it bad enough you could maybe do a few bad things like using a neighbors eircode but your own address...... probably a really bad idea though so i'd forget I said that.

Hopefully someone in the know in this thread has a better solution than my Donegal based 'sure it will all be grand because at the end of the day its night' approach.

The way it works is when an area goes live open eir who build the network release a list of Eircodes of premises that can order to ISPs. If your Eircode is not on this list you can't order. It doesn't matter where you run duct to, they will not connect you.

Your only hope is that when the area goes live that they will have included your Eircode in their list. It has happened in a few areas that premises that failed that test were included. I would not be relying on that happening though.

Cheers for that.... ill hold off with the digger so... painful to see it from your window but not able to connect..... especially when you work in IT from home 5 days a week and would use it.... then you see your neighbor in his tractor driving down the road who has it... you ask him about it.... "Broadband whats that... why would I need that I told them to f**K off when they wanted to connect me".

Funny world

Cheers for that.... ill hold off with the digger so... painful to see it from your window but not able to connect..... especially when you work in IT from home 5 days a week and would use it.... then you see your neighbor in his tractor driving down the road who has it... you ask him about it.... "Broadband whats that... why would I need that I told them to f**K off when they wanted to connect me".

Yeah it would annoy me also. Sorry it's not better news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Funny world

Yeah it’s just the nature of a commercial rollout and a private enterprise running it. This should have always been state ran and we wouldn’t be as behind the times as we are now. The NBP has funding put aside for it now so something might happen -🀞ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Yeah it would annoy me also. Sorry it's not better news.

I have this drive past the poles every day and computer says no of the people connected only a few have signed up and he’s me and my neighbor with or balls out trying to get connected

How Eir FTTH Works for anyone interested:

Who are LDS and why have they blocked your video on copyright grounds?

Who are LDS and why have they blocked your video on copyright grounds?

I wish I knew. I uploaded it and it was instantly blocked. Can only assume background music.

• Advertisement

Vimeo to the rescue:

Eir FTTH Technical Expiation

https://vimeo.com/293184115

Vimeo to the rescue:

Eir FTTH Technical Expiation

https://vimeo.com/293184115

Well that was certainly not what I was expecting! Are you auditioning for a writing position on the Savage Eye m99T?

Well that was certainly not what I was expecting! Are you auditioning for a writing position on the Savage Eye m99T?

I wish I wrote it, unfortunately it was just sent to me. :pac: Great show that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I would have thought this is how the eir FTTH system works personally...

462906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Can someone answer me this. When fibre eventually does hit here (please god) is there anything to stop me getting 2 connections in?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

correction wrote: »
    Can someone answer me this. When fibre eventually does hit here (please god) is there anything to stop me getting 2 connections in?

Why would you?

If it were to get 2Gb/s then capacity might be an issue. Also you would need two addresses for two links unless you opt for business multi line pricing if I remember it correctly.

Having never had fibre (so tell me if I'm crazy) and being used to the dire broadband here, when multiple people are using it then it's just a mess. My concern is if someone is downloading something will gaming be effected? I know right now I could not download something and try to play fortnite at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Having never had fibre (so tell me if I'm crazy) and being used to the dire broadband here, when multiple people are using it then it's just a mess. My concern is if someone is downloading something will gaming be effected? I know right now I could not download something and try to play fortnite at the same time.

You're crazy! :)

What speed connection do you have right now?
    10Mbps, 20Mbps ...?

If you get FTTH you will have the option of getting 1000MBps on that one line.

Fortnite wont know what hit it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Very unlikely to be an issue with the speeds ftth offers but if it was you could buy a high quality router with QOS(quality of service) and then set it up so gaming packets take priority over everything else.
    Or you could set speed limits in place on different devices in your house.
    You definitely don't need 2 fibre connections.

• Advertisement

That's good to know, so. Right not at best I could see 25mb off peak times but I'm never really suing it when it's that speed. When I need to use it it tends to be between 5-10mb which does me fine for streaming and browsing and such but ping goes up sharply if someone is even watching Netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement