Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

correction wrote: »
    That's good to know, so. Right not at best I could see 25mb off peak times but I'm never really suing it when it's that speed. When I need to use it it tends to be between 5-10mb which does me fine for streaming and browsing and such but ping goes up sharply if someone is even watching Netflix.

Streaming netflix in HD uses 5Mps, streaming in Ultra HD(4k) uses 25Mbps.
    The slowest FTTH package is 150Mps, so even on that package with someone streaming UHD you have 100Mps free.
    Gaming takes very little bandwidth and only suffers when your connection is totally saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

That puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the help lads. This is a great thread to read, informative and some good debates too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Well ...

I finally got fiber all the way to the home myself.

7690887570.png

Had to move to the sticks again for that. My laptop won't do much more. Maybe 915 Mbit/s on a good day, so that's alright.

Also, OpenEIR have started to use the same ONT cradle as SIRO.

44188513925_3baf5ab530_c.jpg

/M

Nice one, keep us updated on how the connection is from airwire. I'll be moving to them when my contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Marlow wrote: »
    Well ...

I finally got fiber all the way to the home myself.

7690887570.png

Had to move to the sticks again for that. My laptop won't do much more. Maybe 915 Mbit/s on a good day, so that's alright.

44188513925_3baf5ab530_c.jpg

/M

I'd have to use Photoshop to get a photo like that. :(

• Advertisement

Anyhow, where are the Airwire fellas, I haven't seen them on here since they very kindly told us about the 25th September FTTH availability update :D

462987.jpg

Here's my very messy setup(but it works)

The ONT connects to a switch with both the F2000 and Unifi gateway connected to it. Eir has no problem giving both devices an external ip address.
    The F2000 is only there so my VOIP works and I have a lan port from it going to Wan port 2 on my USG using a different subnet than my main internal network.
    This is so I can access the admin page on the F2000 for call logging and trouble shooting.
    The USG connects to a cheap unmanaged 8 port switch with a unifi ap-ac-lr as wifi on the F2000 is awful and the unifi is easy to relocate thanks to it's power over ethernet.
    Then the home plug connects to that same switch and provides connection to a switch that's in an extention which is a serious wifi deadzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Eir did a survey of the poles in my area last April. Changed some poles in July. Today, KN started to string fibre optic cable between the poles. Yipee!

I suppose, no hope of having it installed by Christmas. January / February (or even later) probably, going by reports on here. But at least, it is definitely on the way. Patience is a virtue.

Thanks for doing the update Airwire fellas, it seems that I'm finally Available :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cable management Tuxy, cable management! If this was PC B&U you'd be hanged.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH with the database files from Tuesday today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

Just got FTTH myself from airwire got the 300 package getting 292 download delighted with it

ED E wrote: »
    Cable management Tuxy, cable management! If this was PC B&U you'd be hanged.

Could I not just push everything into the corner where no one can see it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH with the database files from Tuesday today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Maybe it should be a sticky on the forum but once you get a date from your checker for your eircode what exactly does that mean.

Does it signify the date upon which you can order the install to your house?

And does the date given, in the vast majority of cases, turn out to be accurate?

Does it mean everything is in place on the poles and they just need to provison it in their back office systems (i.e. only software and account mapping stuff)?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Marlow wrote: »

/M

How's that differ - can't see the posted image...

MBSnr wrote: »

I think it's just a plastic container that the ONT sits in to. Makes cable management(something I need to go research :P) easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tuxy wrote: »

Here's my very messy setup(but it works)

The ONT connects to a switch with both the F2000 and Unifi gateway connected to it. Eir has no problem giving both devices an external ip address.
    The F2000 is only there so my VOIP works and I have a lan port from it going to Wan port 2 on my USG using a different subnet than my main internal network.
    This is so I can access the admin page on the F2000 for call logging and trouble shooting.
    The USG connects to a cheap unmanaged 8 port switch with a unifi ap-ac-lr as wifi on the F2000 is awful and the unifi is easy to relocate thanks to it's power over ethernet.
    Then the home plug connects to that same switch and provides connection to a switch that's in an extention which is a serious wifi deadzone.

Are you using IPoE for both public IPs or is one PPP? Also is the switch connected to the ONT managed or unmanaged?

Are you using IPoE for both public IPs or is one PPP? Also is the switch connected to the ONT managed or unmanaged?

I had it set as the F2000 to use PPP and Unifi SGW to use IPoE as I figured this would be the only way it would work but today I realised the F2000 was also using IPOE after I did a factory reset a few days ago and forgot to set it back to PPP.
    How many ip's would Eir give me if I connected more routers? I'll never know, I feel stupid using up an extra address just to use VOIP but what can you do when Eir are too incompetent to give you the sip password.

The switch is the cheapest unmanaged switch (netgear) I could find on Amazon.

I had it set as the F2000 to use PPP and Unifi SGW to use IPoE as I figured this would be the only way it would work but today I realised the F2000 was also using IPOE after I did a factory reset a few days ago and forgot to set it back to PPP.
    How many ip's would Eir give me if I connected more routers? I'll never know, I feel stupid using up an extra address just to use VOIP but what can you do when Eir are too incompetent to give you the sip password.

The switch is the cheapest unmanaged switch (netgear) I could find on Amazon.

I don't know if it's possible to get more than two.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107894485&postcount=32

Don't feel stupid. It's the only way to circumvent their stupid VoIP restrictions. Fair play for getting around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MBSnr wrote: »
    I think it's just a plastic container that the ONT sits in to. Makes cable management(something I need to go research :P) easier

It's a wallmounted plastic cradle, that you slide the ONT down into. It also prevents from people accidently pushing the ONT power button, because it's inside the cradle.

It just makes it look a bit tidier.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

KCross wrote: »
    Maybe it should be a sticky on the forum but once you get a date from your checker for your eircode what exactly does that mean.

It's the projected ready for order date, when we can place the order for a FTTH connection with OpeNEIR.

Sometimes that date is not met, if they run into trouble during the rollout, but generally it's the go live date.

I don't know if it's possible to get more than two.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107894485&postcount=32

Curiosity got the better of me, I plugged my laptop into the switch and as soon as I set vlan id to 10 it gave me another IP.
    I then check that all 3 worked at the same time and yes, no problem.
    What are Eir playing at?
    Don't abuse this lads, I don't want to lose my VOIP :P

Curiosity got the better of me, I plugged my laptop into the switch and as soon as I set vlan id to 10 it gave me another IP.
    I then check that all 3 worked at the same time and yes, no problem.
    What are Eir playing at?
    Don't abuse this lads, I don't want to lose my VOIP :P

As Packet said in the other thread you would be very much in the minority by doing this but I also would not take the piss for fear of losing the ability.

As Packet said in the other thread you would be very much in the minority by doing this but I also would not take the piss for fear of losing the ability.

Yes exactly, testing over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am still trying to properly sort out my voip after receiving a fibre connection and F2000.

As I mentioned in the other thread I have an old Draytek set up for VOIP.
    For the moment I have the WAN of that to the LAN of the F2000, and it is working for outgoing calls with caller ID set to the land line number.
    Incoming are received on the POTS line via the copper cable.
    They did not switch me to VOIP ..... dunno if they ever will. :)

I have done some experimentation with VOIP on the F2000, but found it very limiting.
    I was unable to call a SIP account in the format
    user@sip.provider.net
    It accepted that format as valid but never got a connection.
    Maybe I missed something.

When things settle down and I find more info to read about the settings I might have another crack at it.

Unfortunately the old Draytek does not provide IPoE as a choice so I would have to use PPoE.

It is good to know that this will be possible.

I will need to get a cheap 1Gb/s switch to feed both routers (F2000 & Draytek).
    In fact the Draytek has the ability to use two WAN connections so I might have some fun playing with that too. :D

I got, what I consider, a sneaky call from Vodafone this morning.
    FTTH is about to go live in my area (a month or two away... DP's etc are already up) and the sales guy said that FTTH wasnt available (technically true) and he wanted to tie me into a contract for the existing service.

They havent contacted me ever before and a few weeks before FTTH is available they call me to tie me into another contract on the old service. Thats underhand in my book. I'm sure some will fall for that.

They are obviously ensuring they dont lose customers once FTTH goes live in each area and it is more profitable for them to keep you on the old service and not have to pay OpenEir their FTTH fees.

Once I pressed him he did say that it was a few weeks away and that they will be able to provide me with FTTH. He didnt seem to have much of the fine detail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I got, what I consider, a sneaky call from Vodafone this morning.....

when you say "call" - do you mean phone call or call to the house (as in door to door rep) ?

when you say "call" - do you mean phone call or call to the house (as in door to door rep) ?

Phone
    And I havent interacted with their sales teams in years so its more than a coincidence that they call me now when they know I will have FTTH available in a matter of weeks.

These companies really don't care about pissing you off in the short term do they? Once they get their 12/18 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Phone
    And I havent interacted with their sales teams in years so its more than a coincidence that they call me now when they know I will have FTTH available in a matter of weeks.

i had a vodafone rep call to my door last february and signed up with him for ADSL (no, VDSL or FTTC to our cabinet back then) and i said we have the POTS line in the duct but its not active. Not to worry he said we can get that activated for you , should take a week - about a month passed and it still weren't hooked up so we cancelled it. I suppose he still got his commission. Then a couple of months ago a eir rep called to the door and said FTTH is live in this area now and would we like to sign up, installation within 3 weeks because "we are inundated with orders" - but when I done my own checking it wasn't live at all, .... and still isn't live and just says "coming soon" on the airwire checker...

is there anything worse as a consumer than being duped by these big companies coming round door to door - and i bet on the whole most of the time its just so they get their commission every time they sign up someone new

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement