Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KCross wrote: »
    I got, what I consider, a sneaky call from Vodafone this morning.
    FTTH is about to go live in my area (a month or two away... DP's etc are already up) and the sales guy said that FTTH wasnt available (technically true) and he wanted to tie me into a contract for the existing service.

They havent contacted me ever before and a few weeks before FTTH is available they call me to tie me into another contract on the old service. Thats underhand in my book. I'm sure some will fall for that.

They are obviously ensuring they dont lose customers once FTTH goes live in each area and it is more profitable for them to keep you on the old service and not have to pay OpenEir their FTTH fees.

Once I pressed him he did say that it was a few weeks away and that they will be able to provide me with FTTH. He didnt seem to have much of the fine detail though.

I contacted their sales number this morning, after discovering that my Eircode is "available", only for one of their people (with a lousy command of the English language) to tell me that it wasn't available to the house. Because I had to tell him about a dozen times what my Eircode was, I asked him to tell me what code he was working from. He did have the right code.

I told him that it was available outside the house, and was only waiting for a provider to arrange for it to be connected to the house. He didn't understand that at all.

He started by telling me that it might be a month or two before it becomes available.

Basically, he didn't have a clue what was going on, nor did he understand what "available" meant. I gave up at that point, and told him that I'd research other options. It was a complete and utter waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

30gb cap Jesus I’d do that in an evening easy, nevermid games for the Xbox which can be 50/60 the newest one at the end if the month is 105gb and Iam sure there will be day one patch as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KCross wrote: »
    Phone
    And I havent interacted with their sales teams in years so its more than a coincidence that they call me now when they know I will have FTTH available in a matter of weeks.

They seem to be one of the more scummy providers. They were also sending out letters to people insinuating that they were shutting off their VDSL service in order to get them to switch to a higher margin SIRO product. I'm nearly sure you're not the first person who has gotten this sales call as FTTH was about to arrive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057917195

Might be of interest to some people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057917195

Might be of interest to some people

Sneaky, not dealing with any install charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I've had FTTC (as part of the FTTH roll out) for 11 months now and all in all its been OK apart from some router issues. My contact runs out next month and I am wondering two things.

1. Am I entitled to sign up with a better deal with Eir to reduce my costs. I am currently on the eir Fibre and eir Talk 78 euro per month (it was discounted for the first 6 months)

2. What are the best alternatives in terms of cost and are they available to customers on the FTTH roll out?

sean72 wrote: »
    I've had FTTC (as part of the FTTH roll out) for 11 months now and all in all its been OK apart from some router issues. My contact runs out next month and I am wondering two things.

1. Am I entitled to sign up with a better deal with Eir to reduce my costs. I am currently on the eir Fibre and eir Talk 78 euro per month (it was discounted for the first 6 months)

2. What are the best alternatives in terms of cost and are they available to customers on the FTTH roll out?

Once your contract is finished you're free to move to another ISP or if you wish to try to renegotiate a better deal with eir, if possible. Most of the ISPs with a green square on the following link should be able to offer you service. I haven't been keeping up with current deals so can't advise you on what is best.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The deals with eir at the moment are pretty much non existent even for trying to keep customers - better off moving to a different provider and do the same again in 12 months
    Unfortunately most companies in Ireland don't realise it's better to keep customers at a good price rather than screw them over.

Once your contract is finished you're free to move to another ISP or if you wish to try to renegotiate a better deal with eir, if possible. Most of the ISPs with a green square on the following link should be able to offer you service. I haven't been keeping up with current deals so can't advise you on what is best.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Thanks I looked at a few. I find most of these sites poor at best most of the time, not recognising my address or landline. Its crazy in this day and age that a phone number or eircode can't be used to give you an accurate prediction of what you can get in terms of broadband, especially when you have an existing service.

If anyone has a recommendation of an alternative provider that's OK to deal with I'd be grateful.

Thanks I looked at a few. I find most of these sites poor at best most of the time, not recognising my address or landline. Its crazy in this day and age that a phone number or eircode can't be used to give you an accurate prediction of what you can get in terms of broadband, especially when you have an existing service.

If anyone has a recommendation of an alternative provider that's OK to deal with I'd be grateful.

Airwire are pretty much on the ball with prequals - unfortunately outside the big players they are all pretty much the same in so much as you can't just place an order online which is a shame as it's a whole lot easier to just order online (even Airwire are guilty of this)
    Dunno if it's just the cost of an automated system (eir spent a lotta cash on a system to integrate with OE that doesn't even work properly - and I mean a LOT) is too costly to implement so they have to do it manually - maybe Martin can elaborate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Airwire is what most people on here have been recomending. 150 mbit broadband at €50 a month, good customer service and no fair usage cap. The only down side is that there is a €100 setup fee for the 12 month contract even if you have a FTTH line already installed. There are no setup fees if you sign up for 18 months.

tuxy wrote: »
    Airwire is what most people on here have been recomending. 150 mbit broadband at €50 a month, good customer service and no fair usage cap. The only down side is that there is a €100 setup fee for the 12 month contract even if you have a FTTH line already installed. There are no setup fees if you sign up for 18 months.

He's on FTTC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sneaky, not dealing with any install charges.

That's going to change. The likes of Eir have been pushing for a re-imbursement scheme, so that if a customer changes within, I think, 5 years, the loosing provider will have to be re-imbursed for the installation cost. Partially that is, depending on the amount of years since first installation.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    I contacted their sales number this morning, after discovering that my Eircode is "available", only for one of their people (with a lousy command of the English language) to tell me that it wasn't available to the house. Because I had to tell him about a dozen times what my Eircode was, I asked him to tell me what code he was working from. He did have the right code.

When you say "available", is that on their checker or another providers checker. You can check on lets say Airwire, get a result "Available" and then go to another provider to order, where it doesn't say available.

If their database is not up to date, they won't let you order. End off. Doesn't matter if your property is ready for order.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Airwire are pretty much on the ball with prequals - unfortunately outside the big players they are all pretty much the same in so much as you can't just place an order online which is a shame as it's a whole lot easier to just order online (even Airwire are guilty of this)
    Dunno if it's just the cost of an automated system (eir spent a lotta cash on a system to integrate with OE that doesn't even work properly - and I mean a LOT) is too costly to implement so they have to do it manually - maybe Martin can elaborate.

Even if we were to facilitate online orders, which we probably will be doing very soon, they would still have to be handled manually on the backend.

OpenEIR do have an API to interface with UG, but documentation is poor at best and there's too many things that can go wrong.

And then there is the aspect of credit check, signing of contract etc.

Marlow wrote: »
    That's going to change. The likes of Eir have been pushing for a re-imbursement scheme, so that if a customer changes within, I think, 5 years, the loosing provider will have to be re-imbursed for the installation cost. Partially that is, depending on the amount of years since first installation.

Only right - Sky have always been sneaky about this kind of thing. Pushing people to eir to get connected then telling them they can move to them when it's installed. Never heard stories about anyone else, well a little bit about Vodafone but think that was more uneducated sales people.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Moved from Virgin Media area to the schticks, had my FTTH installed about two weeks now and getting 900+ download and 100 upload, KN had a few trees to trim to run the cabling but all done within 2 days, happy bunny here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »

why would there be such a high setup fee if the FTTH is already installed??

Even if we were to facilitate online orders, which we probably will be doing very soon, they would still have to be handled manually on the backend.

OpenEIR do have an API to interface with UG, but documentation is poor at best and there's too many things that can go wrong.

Good to hear - at least if you have an online application then people at least think they are ordering from you instead of waiting for a call back - doesn't even need to be a live system just a method of are here all my details, what I want blah blah
    Do OE not have an API query system??? Stupid question really! But then again sometimes using the UG is better

I'm getting 45mb down on FTTC with Eir. Would airwire be able to match these speeds or maybe improve?

I'm getting 45mb down on FTTC with Eir. Would airwire be able to match these speeds or maybe improve?

You should get the same speed with all providers. It is mainly a function of your distance from the cabinet.

• Advertisement

why would there be such a high setup fee if the FTTH is already installed??

Because there is still a cost to connect you, even when there is a line in place.

And at least you're given the choice of a 6 or 12 month contract. If you don't want to pay the installation fee, you can always go for 18 months.

Up until April/May, OpenEIR charged the providers a full install fee, when you re-activated a FTTH line .. even though no installation had to be done. Full whack. And a lot of lines installed before then are still not listed for electronic enablement.

/M

Download speeds on FTTC are not a provider specific option but to do with the line quality - you may convince one of them to increase the speed but that will be at the detriment of the data quality and that will be worse
    Every provider is going to give you the same service/speeds

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

You should get the same speed with all providers. It is mainly a function of your distance from the cabinet.
    Download speeds on FTTC are not a provider specific option but to do with the line quality - you may convince one of them to increase the speed but that will be at the detriment of the data quality and that will be worse
    Every provider is going to give you the same service/speeds

It's down to the line quality and distance to the cabinet. You would also need to post your attenuation data (from the router statistics) to identify if there is room for an improvement.

The only advantage with us is, that we have a different price, if your line is 50 Mbit/s or less.

Because there is still a cost to connect you, even when there is a line in place.

Shouldn't be - electronic activation. The only cost to the new provider is installing a new modem which any semi tech savvy customer can do themselves.
    Beyond the days of a tech actually having to go out and remove your copper cable from the machinery

Shouldn't be - electronic activation. The only cost to the new provider is installing a new modem which any semi tech savvy customer can do themselves.
    Beyond the days of a tech actually having to go out and remove your copper cable from the machinery

You are forgetting, that there are other costs also. The installation price is not always calculated against the individual consumer.

All providers are taking a massive hit somewhere, like new FTTH lines. That has to be compensated elsewhere. But even the individual installation costs money. Like for example the money, a salesman is paid, when he brings a lead in. Also that needs to come from somewhere. Every provider takes a different approach.

/M

You are forgetting, that there are other costs also. The installation price is not always calculated against the individual consumer.

All providers are taking a massive hit somewhere, like new FTTH lines. That has to be compensated elsewhere.

/M

Installation price IIRC is 375ish for FTTH. How does charging 250 plus another 99 for future reactivations tally?
    Cannot use the excuse that well it cost us so much to lay the cable and this and that as they are already earning money from the "rental"

Installation price IIRC is 375ish for FTTH. How does charging 250 plus another 99 for future reactivations tally?
    Cannot use the excuse that well it cost us so much to lay the cable and this and that as they are already earning money from the "rental"

Where did you get 250 EUR from ?

/M

I was actually thinking today how much would it cost to set up a new telecom company to go head to head with eir in Dublin say - basically just a reseller. Think OE call it White Label - which is pretty much the same as any reseller system.

Where did you get 250 EUR from ?

/M

250 is the quoted install price from eir with 150 discount

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Monopolies generally don't need to come up with excuses once they don't do things that breach regulations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement