Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

ED E wrote: »
    It will be based on the prior POTS deployment. Few poles serve more than 4 homes outside cities. So you'll get an 8 way split at the start of a run and then a 4 way every 4th or more pole. There is then a little "doubling back" to be equidistant between the cluster of 4.

I assume the new cables they're hanging have 8 fibre strands in them so? The new stuff looks very lightweight on the poles.. even lighter than the old 2 pair copper drops to the premise

Not to go too far off topic but what's the procedure at the "split"... as in where they have to feed a distribution node on the pole? Do they slice the sheath of the main cable, slide out and terminate one fibre, leaving the others intact for the onwards nodes? Or do they terminate all strands in the overhead at each node, then pick up what fibres they need for the next nodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

dollylama wrote: »
    I assume the new cables they're hanging have 8 fibre strands in them so? The new stuff looks very lightweight on the poles.. even lighter than the old 2 pair copper drops to the premise

Not to go too far off topic but what's the procedure at the "split"... as in where they have to feed a distribution node on the pole? Do they slice the sheath of the main cable, slide out and terminate one fibre, leaving the others intact for the onwards nodes? Or do they terminate all strands in the overhead at each node, then pick up what fibres they need for the next nodes

It has 36 individual fibres grouped into 3 tubes of 12 fibres each though apparently only 24 fibres are being used for this project.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102706474&postcount=3601

Data sheet:
    http://www.acome.fr/index.php/en/content/download/28192/530416/file/UND1534%20Outdoor%20Distribution%20Cable%20Aerail%20Duct%2002%20to%20288%20Fo.pdf

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104500076&postcount=7514

The splitting procedure I am unsure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommyboy87

Does anyone know how often they update the fibre rollout map.
    http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/
    Also roughly how long does it take from the time cables are on the poles to going live?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Poles being replaced on Fedamore exchange today... Can nearly smell the fiber now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

brianbruff wrote: »
    Poles being replaced on Fedamore exchange today... Can nearly smell the fiber now!!

Have the poles where you live been replaced some time ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

just today, so i expect a few months before the fiber will be pulled and the connections active, exchange is down for first half of 2018 for first active FTTH connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Poles were replaced a few weeks ago with me.

Heading into the town this morning and noticed a few of the poles heading out of town have coils of black wire hanging off them.

This must be a good sign.

About half way between my house and the town.

446188.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

brianbruff wrote: »
    just today, so i expect a few months before the fiber will be pulled and the connections active, exchange is down for first half of 2018 for first active FTTH connections.

The connection boxes went up on the poles near me a couple of weeks ago. The poles were replaced about this time last year or earlier.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This must be a good sign.

About half way between my house and the town.

Going home last night and the big wheel had moved a few hundred yards on up the road with big reels of cable on posts near houses. If they keep moving at that rate they'll be with me in a few days.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

My exchange is down for "the first half of 2018 " on the Rural exchange timeline , and "Spring / Summer " on the roll out maps .

I emailed openeir a while back and they replied saying I should have fibre available in June .

Well , yesterday a crew (not KN , a different crew ) were stringing fibre between the poles along the road and today they're installing boxes on the poles and splicing the fibre into them :D:D:D

Getting closer :):)

Here's a rubbish picture :)

446319.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I am on a road with almost every house being within the 50m from the road bracket, covered by eir's 300,000 homes apart from mine and a two others. The last pole before the gable end of my house is actually in the blue area on the DCCAE map, so I decided to ask open eir on twitter is there any chance of getting it when it comes to the area as the difference between me and the blue commercially viable area is literally 10m of overhead fibre optic cable from that pole to my house. They said the 300,000 is locked down but "in some cases, when the build team are in an area, they sometimes extend to service one or two more houses if viable". Has anyone got an experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

daraghwal wrote: »
    Has anyone got an experience of this?

I'm afraid, it's all a waiting game. If you're at the end of the fiber run, then it may not happen.

If you're left out in the middle of a run because you're a bit further from the road, then it's always worth to raise that issue and maybe poke a provider to make a case for your Eircode.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm afraid, it's all a waiting game. If you're at the end of the fiber run, then it may not happen.

If you're left out in the middle of a run because you're a bit further from the road, then it's always worth to raise that issue and maybe poke a provider to make a case for your Eircode.

/M

What is the usual distance from a road they will connect?

Is it distance from the road, or distance from last pole?

I have copper wire phone line on poles the whole way to my house, but I’d be about 150m off the roadside.

/M

Thanks. Luckily I'm actually in the middle of a run that goes on for another few kilometres past me.

Where do you think I should raise the issue and do you mean just get onto a provider such as vodafone or eir when it goes live to try and add me in?

AidenL wrote: »
    What is the usual distance from a road they will connect?

Is it distance from the road, or distance from last pole?

I have copper wire phone line on poles the whole way to my house, but I’d be about 150m off the roadside.

This map from DCCAE shows where the cut off is. I sent the attached screenshot to open eir on twitter just showing how close it is. As far as I know it's 50m from the road but you'd have to check your own eircode on the linked map in your case to see how far away it is.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Where do you think I should raise the issue and do you mean just get onto a provider such as vodafone or eir when it goes live to try and add me in?

Vodafone doesn't do FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

Eir retail is unlikely to do anything about it or care enough.

Pick one of the providers with the house logo on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ that has a package, that suits you, and talk to them about it.

/M

Vodafone doesn't do FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

Eir retail is unlikely to do anything about it or care enough.

Pick one of the providers with the house logo on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ that has a package, that suits you, and talk to them about it.

/M

Just had a look around surrounding exchanges and noticed houses that aren't even occupied that are amber on the DCCAE map are currently live on fibrerollout.ie so there's still a chance!

Might have a chance with Pure Telecom maybe. I'm with them for landline phone at the moment but have a wireless ISP.

ninja 12 wrote: »
    My exchange is down for "the first half of 2018 " on the Rural exchange timeline , and "Spring / Summer " on the roll out maps .

I emailed openeir a while back and they replied saying I should have fibre available in June .

Well , yesterday a crew (not KN , a different crew ) were stringing fibre between the poles along the road and today they're installing boxes on the poles and splicing the fibre into them :D:D:D

Getting closer :):)

Here's a rubbish picture :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=446319&d=1521815129

:)

Quoting myself here (sorry)

The rollout maps have been updated .

My exchange now says
    110 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband.
    Estimated date for first live 1000Mb/s fibre is 11 Apr

As I mentioned earlier , an email from openeir about two months ago said fibre should be available by June .

What happens next ?

Are all houses able to order on April 11th ? (assuming there are no problems )

Is availability phased by road / area serviced from the exchange ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Quoting myself here (sorry)

The rollout maps have been updated .

My exchange now says

As I mentioned earlier , an email from openeir about two months ago said fibre should be available by June .

What happens next ?

Are all houses able to order on April 11th ? (assuming there are no problems )

Is availability phased by road / area serviced from the exchange ?

They don't generally launch a full exchange area in one go. It generally follows the order of cabling so the first areas that were cabled will most likely launch first. Keep checking your Eircode on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

When it says FTTH is available you should be able to order.

They don't generally launch a full exchange area in one go. It generally follows the order of cabling so the first areas that were cabled will most likely launch first. Keep checking your Eircode on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

When it says FTTH is available you should be able to order.

Thanks .

I'll keep checking that from the 11th April :)

What about pricing ?

Because it's not available yet all I can find is this -

446499.jpg

This says it's for new customers .

Any idea what the price for is existing Eir customers ?

• Advertisement

Why not also check other providers. Anyone with a house logo can get you FTTH: http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Eir's pricing isn't actually very good.

/M

Why not also check other providers. Anyone with a house logo can get you FTTH: http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Eir's pricing isn't actually very good.

/M

Thanks ,

I'll have a proper look in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Thanks .

I'll keep checking that from the 11th April :)

What about pricing ?

Because it's not available yet all I can find is this -

446499.jpg

You read the top and it says

Online price: €45/month, for 6 months
    (Normally €50/m)

Great!

But scroll down......

€81/m is the real price. They have TWO teaser rates on it!

€45/m for 6 months
    €50/m up to the 12th month
    €81/m after 12 months

And the top package ends up at €101 per month. It is so misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

9726_9726 wrote: »

(Normally €50/m)

Great!

But scroll down......

€45/m for 6 months
    €81/m after 12 months

Why do they only have voice and broadband packages for their FTTH offering? Or is it me, as I can’t find any mobile plus FTTH packages, I don’t want a traditional voice service, I don’t want to pay for it if I don’t need it, I’d rather get a better deal on FTTH plus mobile.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

9726_9726 wrote: »

(Normally €50/m)

Great!

But scroll down......

€45/m for 6 months
    €81/m after 12 months

It reads to me you are out of contract after 12 months, before the €81/m kicks in, and so can change provider at that time without penalty.
    Contract Length 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All companies have teaser rates, it's how they get customers

fritzelly wrote: »

Have to say pure telecom are pretty clear cut on their website even if it is a bit expensive, and their customer service is way better than most other providers.

It reads to me you are out of contract after 12 months, before the €81/m kicks in, and so can change provider at that time without penalty.

If you remember to do that. They're betting on you being to lazy to change then and at least getting a good while longer out of you. For many people it's stressful even to think of changing provider.

And well, if you want to stay with Eir at that time, you won't get the teaser rates anymore. So you would be forced to change to get a better price.

Nope. Westnet, Airwire and various others: one clear cut price. No messing about.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most companies have...no need to nitpick with a few small companies most people have never heard of or will ever deal with and they probably couldn't afford to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Most companies have...no need to nitpick with a few small companies most people have never heard of or will ever deal with and they probably couldn't afford to do it

I agree with Marlow......it’s refreshing to deal with a small company that Discuss your needs and where you get personalized support....most likely from the owner of the company.

Compare that to having to speak to some outsourced support company that Vodafone or Eir use and that are working off a script.......also the independent operators are equally competitive in my experience......that’s my experience anyhow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement