Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OK then - I should be able to go to my preferred ISP and say "I would like the Huawei combo ONT/Wireless device with my order please if you do it , and it should be one of the approved ones and then be able to replace the eir ONT by taking the yellow optic lead out of the ONT and put it into my ISP supplied ONT/Wireless ROUTER - or

Place my FTTH order with ISP of my choice - state that I would like the all in one ONT/Wireless Router with my order ... KN or whoever it is , comes out and fits ODP and the ONT/wireless router I placed with my ISP - whats difficult in that ?

The choice is not there at the moment - I cannot choose my own setup , I cannot choose my own type of router I want, I have to go with the router that my ISP supplies ... it sounds like I cannot even use one of my existing WLAN routers because it has to have VLAN tag - my hands fell well and truly tied , of course I will go with the default setup (when I finally can order FTTH) but I am just saying as it is at the moment its limited with the default equipment setup

There are plenty of third party routers you can use if you wish. You'll find they will be the higher end, more expensive models though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Indeed - I think even as close to the home as BT OpenReach up in the north and UK - must check again but I am pretty sure they are using ONT with built in wireless router ... might be wrong though. Think they also supply BBU (rechargeable battery backup unit) with their ONT so that if power cut the ONT still works

No I don't think so, I know BT isn't the best network provider but they are not that short sighted.
    They do have the battery backup though which is a nice feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There are plenty of third party routers you can use if you wish. You'll find they will be the higher end, more expensive models though.

That Huawei HG8245 looks this biz to me - looks a great router with the added benefit of a built in ONT (if its the real mccoy and if it got recognised on the OLT)

and its only 49 dollars - win win .. except its not if it wont work with the irish system or open eir kn or whoever it is - has VLAN tagging and I think 1gbps up and 2gbps down data rate - dont have a WAN socket so even if I got it I dont think I could swap it out for the ISP supplied router

it looks like a decent kit , as I say especially for the money. and worldwide delivery.

that hasnt anything to do with the devices they use on their setup/installs has it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OK then - I should be able to go to my preferred ISP and say "I would like the Huawei combo ONT/Wireless device with my order please if you do it , and it should be one of the approved ones and then be able to replace the eir ONT by taking the yellow optic lead out of the ONT and put it into my ISP supplied ONT/Wireless ROUTER - or

Place my FTTH order with ISP of my choice - state that I would like the all in one ONT/Wireless Router with my order ... KN or whoever it is , comes out and fits ODP and the ONT/wireless router I placed with my ISP - whats difficult in that ?

The choice is not there at the moment - I cannot choose my own setup , I cannot choose my own type of router I want, I have to go with the router that my ISP supplies ...

Nonsense!
    it sounds like I cannot even use one of my existing WLAN routers because it has to have VLAN tag - my hands fell well and truly tied , of course I will go with the default setup (when I finally can order FTTH) but I am just saying as it is at the moment its limited with the default equipment setup

If you do not have compatible equipment that is somehow the fault of the provider? If you order a 1Gb/s service would you also complain that your old dial-up modem not working is the fault of openeir?

You complain about a percieved limitation while promoting a limiting of router choice by the ISP and/or customer?

You need to go back and think things through.

Openeir has provided the most open (while still being commercially and technically sound) option which allows the ISP and or the customer to choose whatever compatible equipment they wish to use and just plug that in.

tuxy wrote: »
    No I don't think so, I know BT isn't the best network provider but they are not that short sighted.
    They do have the battery backup though which is a nice feature.

you wouldnt even be able to use a BBU on the Irish ONT would you because it hasnt even got a socket to connect a BBU has it?

you wouldnt even be able to use a BBU on the Irish ONT would you because it hasnt even got a socket to connect a BBU has it?

Just plug the powered unit (router) into a UPS ...... simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a low current DC device. You could rig up a motobike battery and it'd run for a year. Standard barrel connectors.

ED E wrote: »
    Its a low current DC device. You could rig up a motobike battery and it'd run for a year. Standard barrel connectors.

Yes, I measured the power usage on mine, 2 watts!

• Advertisement

That Huawei HG8245 looks this biz to me - looks a great router with the added benefit of a built in ONT (if its the real mccoy and if it got recognised on the OLT)

and its only 49 dollars - win win .. except its not if it wont work with the irish system or open eir kn or whoever it is - has VLAN tagging and I think 1gbps up and 2gbps down data rate - dont have a WAN socket so even if I got it I dont think I could swap it out for the ISP supplied router

it looks like a decent kit , as I say especially for the money. and worldwide delivery.

When I click the link it comes up as $20 delivery so that makes it $69 and it's also liable to be stopped by customs who will whack another fee on top of that.

I don't know what more to say to you.

That Huawei HG8245 looks this biz to me

Sorry Andy but this is where your knowledge lets you down.

Thats an .11N device. Not having AC with a 150Mb minimum sub is stupid. Only Vodafone would do that.

Yes, I measured the power usage on mine, 2 watts!

Whats the voltage? - 12v is it?

When I click the link it comes up as $20 delivery so that makes it $69 and it's also liable to be stopped by customs who will whack another fee on top of that.

I don't know what more to say to you.

HG 8247 from Portugal - buy it now £13.95 + £9.95 to UK address (exact same as 8245 but with TV conection) (could be locked to their ISP I dunno)

theres most probably more dotted around on ebay closer to home but i havent fully looked yet.

- im not going to buy, but I am just exploring what other ONT's they could supply if they wanted to which would be neater and make 2 units become 1

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

HG 8247 from Portugal - buy it now £13.95 + £9.95 to UK address (exact same as 8245 but with TV conection) (could be locked to their ISP I dunno)

theres most probably more dotted around on ebay closer to home but i havent fully looked yet.

- im not going to buy, but I am just exploring what other ONT's they could supply if they wanted to which would be neater and make 2 units become 1

They wont supply a ONT with wireless inbuilt because the ONT is OpenEir and the router that manages the actual network is the provider. Two units wont become one, ever. And BT Openreach dont provide a 'two in one' solution.

Although I would love to see this ONT in action: https://www.ubnt.com/ufiber/ufiber-nano-g/

m99T wrote: »
    Although I would love to see this ONT in action: https://www.ubnt.com/ufiber/ufiber-nano-g/

Oh thats a tidy little thing isnt it. Much want.

Whats the voltage? - 12v is it?

Probably, I'm measuring form the wall and I'm not taking the ont apart to use a multimeter on it.

It'd probably run just fine on a 9v pack if needs be, these things tend to not be too fussy.
    Network Interface GPON(SC/APC)
    User Interface 1GE
    Power consumption Static power consumption: 3 W
    Maximum power consumption: 3.5 W
    Power supply Power adapter input: 100–240 V AC, 50–60 Hz
    System power supply: 11–14 VDC, 1A
    Operating environment Temperature: 0℃~+40℃
    Humidity: 5%–95%, non-condensing
    Weight About 500g (including the power adapter)

You could daisy chain a small BBU and the router + ONT and have a fully mains failure resistant system if that bothers you.

Probably, I'm measuring form the wall and I'm not taking the ont apart to use a multimeter on it.

no labels on the ONT itself or on the power supply plug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Man I really missed the boat on this. Apparently fiber is available in my area few questions.
    1. do i just call Vodafone (who i am currently with) and ask them to come out and install.
    2. Current setup is from an old house in the 80s cable goes into top of roof and wired into the attic. Its a bad design. Should I bring new power and a way for the new cable to be routed to downstairs. I heard from friend that they don't enter attic spaces anymore?

• Advertisement

Man I really missed the boat on this. Apparently fiber is available in my area few questions.
    1. do i just call Vodafone (who i am currently with) and ask them to come out and install.
    2. Current setup is from an old house in the 80s cable goes into top of roof and wired into the attic. Its a bad design. Should I bring new power and a way for the new cable to be routed to downstairs. I heard from friend that they don't enter attic spaces anymore?

1) Vodafone have only just started to sell FTTH on the open eir network and they don't seem to have it available everywhere yet. So you may not be able to order from them.

Other suppliers are listed here with a green home icon:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

2) The installer will not go into the attic. He may be happy for you to go into it and route the cable downstairs. Alternatively you could find a new route for the cable. You'll need two power points wherever the cable terminates for the ONT and router.

no labels on the ONT itself or on the power supply plug?

The plug that comes with it can supply up to 12 volts 1 amp.

ED E wrote: »
    It'd probably run just fine on a 9v pack if needs be, these things tend to not be too fussy.

You could daisy chain a small BBU and the router + ONT and have a fully mains failure resistant system if that bothers you.

doesnt bother me I would say ... but its good to have a socket there just in case you wanted to hook a battery backup to it - I wouldnt be though because in my particular area there hasnt been any outages , even in the severest of storms.

I should imagine the dedicated socket on the device (pinout) has the facility with a dedicated proper BBU has the facility to keep the bbu charged and properly monitor it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Powering the ONT with a battery backed solution is no problem. I use a stabilized 24V to 12V DC PSU. No problem. I even can power the Fritz!Box from that same PSU.

24V battery pack, as my switch can handle 7V-32V and a 24V trickle charger.

But honestly .. the ONT is OpenEIRs demark. If you f*** about with that side of it, they'll just tell you to get lost. If you continue to do so, they'll flag you for never being able to get a connection again.

In the old days, you weren't even allowed to connect a phone on the telecoms network, unless it was certified. If you did, you could end up in legal trouble.

Stop trying to break the network just to save a few bob. It's pointless and stupid.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Powering the ONT with a battery backed solution is no problem. I use a stabilized 24V to 12V DC PSU. No problem. I even can power the Fritz!Box from that same PSU.

24V battery pack, as my switch can handle 7V-32V and a 24V trickle charger.

But honestly .. the ONT is OpenEIRs demark. If you f*** about with that side of it, they'll just tell you to get lost. If you continue to do so, they'll flag you for never being able to get a connection again.

In the old days, you weren't even allowed to connect a phone on the telecoms network, unless it was certified. If you did, you could end up in legal trouble.

Stop trying to break the network just to save a few bob. It's pointless and stupid.

/M

its not to save a few bob - the price is good though on the combined ONT/wireless router so thats an added bonus. But what I am getting at (and I am sure there are more plusses) is that if you were allowed to get your own ONT as to using eir's one the all in ones are a much neater setup than having a seperate ONT and a seperate wireless router - in terms of looks, less cables and only 1 power supply rather than 2

Some peopl might like the idea of a seperate scanner and a seperate fax machine and a seperate printer ... but they bought out an all in one printer that can scan copy print and fax all in one device for people who want everything in one device. - I just dont understand why some people cannot grasp that I want one device that includes the ONT & wireless router and that I think that is the way to go - sure if you are happy with 2 seperate devices in your setup fill your boots but its a very untidy / messy way of doing things when there is physically a device on the market made by one of the leaders in telecommunications that can do the job of 2 devices in one unit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The answer is simply: NO.

OpenEIR and SIRO have extensively tested every ONT on their network. There are 2 types on OpenEIRs network and that's the ones they allow. Every ONT is locked down on installation. Only qualified technicians with access to the provisioning tools can replace them. End of story. It's the only way that a good quality service can be provided.

They actually spend months of testing with these.

On SIRO, it goes even further than that. They make the provider test every router they provide on every package they want to use it on. In the test lab. Before allowing them to deploy it.

You're trying to get permission to use a piece of equipment that hasn't been tested with OpenEIRs platforḿ, nor configuration, nor network. There isn't a chance in hell, that they will let that happen. No provider nor wholesale network will ever let you do that.

The ONT is OpenEIRs responsibility and demark. The router is the ISPs demark and that's where the ISP may or may not be flexible. You have to respect those boundaries. If you don't, you'll be punished for not doing so.

/M

its not to save a few bob - the price is good though on the combined ONT/wireless router so thats an added bonus. But what I am getting at (and I am sure there are more plusses) is that if you were allowed to get your own ONT as to using eir's one the all in ones are a much neater setup than having a seperate ONT and a seperate wireless router - in terms of looks, less cables and only 1 power supply rather than 2

Some peopl might like the idea of a seperate scanner and a seperate fax machine and a seperate printer ... but they bought out an all in one printer that can scan copy print and fax all in one device for people who want everything in one device. - I just dont understand why some people cannot grasp that I want one device that includes the ONT & wireless router and that I think that is the way to go - sure if you are happy with 2 seperate devices in your setup fill your boots but its a very untidy / messy way of doing things when there is physically a device on the market made by one of the leaders in telecommunications that can do the job of 2 devices in one unit

The point is that you are speaking of an either/or situation and not a complimentary extra device.
    Openeir have already made their decision and implemented it, so your arguments on the matter are moot.

You just have to accept it as it is.

And there is no way even in the future open eir will test this all in one device out ? Not even enter into it or entertain it? - they won't put such a device through testing at all? Or even consider new devices on the market ? They will just stick with their current setup for the foreseeable future ?

And there is no way even in the future open eir will test this all in one device out ? Not even enter into it or entertain it? - they won't put such a device through testing at all? Or even consider new devices on the market ? They will just stick with their current setup for the foreseeable future ?

Who could know what the future holds?

Whatever they do, or not do, will be a commercial decision of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Any information traversing any Huawei equipped network isn't safe unless it has military encryption.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement