Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think it's safe to say they won't be testing some ancient device that only supports up to wireless N.
    Does Huawei even make that device still? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say they won't be testing some ancient device that only supports up to wireless N.
    Does Huawei even make that device still? Probably not.

Ah right I see, its the HG8245U that has 802.11ac

And that's a good example of the problem with an all in one box. The current ONT that Eir uses will out live any router you can buy today and ISPs can decide to update their router to support new technologies whenever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

gctest50 wrote: »
    Any information traversing any Huawei equipped network isn't safe unless it has military encryption.

The internet is not safe full stop. So that comment was actually mute.

If you want safety, unplug the power cable to your internet connection.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Marlow wrote: »
    The internet is not safe full stop. So that comment was actually mute.

If you want safety, unplug the power cable to your internet connection.

/M

I think you've missed the point there.

There is a difference between a device that you are knowingly/willingly installing on your network from a company which has a less than stellar security record and "the internet isnt safe".

His point was dont use Huawei. Use a different more trusted source. Not a bad piece of advice at all.

When using the internet you take as many precautions as you can. Why introduce something to your network which is dubious?

Its like saying, dont wear a seat belt. Driving is dangerous. If you want to stay safe dont drive! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

See they are throttling in the Borrisoleigh area. My sister (same DP) is struggling to get 500mb whilst I’m over 900mb as usual. They use a lot of Netflix/Sky box sets gaming etc. They brought out the good auld Windows Update excuse. She has a MacBook that’s with Apple for repair

KCross wrote: »
    I think you've missed the point there.

There is a difference between a device that you are knowingly/willingly installing on your network from a company which has a less than stellar security record and "the internet isnt safe".

His point was dont use Huawei. Use a different more trusted source. Not a bad piece of advice at all.

When using the internet you take as many precautions as you can. Why introduce something to your network which is dubious?

Its like saying, dont wear a seat belt. Driving is dangerous. If you want to stay safe dont drive! ;)

No, I didn't miss the point at all. The comment was as extreme as the point he made.

First of all, it's based on rumours. And while there have been incidents, they also apply to for example Cisco.

Secondly, you can't avoid using Huawei equipment, as both OpenEIR and SIROs networks are completely build on Huawei.

Thirdly, if you don't encrypt your traffic, then anyone between you and your destination can look at whats in that traffic.

And point 4: Military grade encryption is not an inch more safe than the encryption we use every day. The only difference is, that the military specifies a minimum encryption level.

Basically .. that post was pure scaremongering without any fact nor reference provided. As such, it's nonsense.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No, I didn't miss the point at all. The comment was as extreme as the point he made.

First of all, it's based on rumours. And while there have been incidents, they also apply to for example Cisco.

Secondly, you can't avoid using Huawei equipment, as both OpenEIR and SIROs networks are completely build on Huawei.

Thirdly, if you don't encrypt your traffic, then anyone between you and your destination can look at whats in that traffic.

And point 4: Military grade encryption is not an inch more safe than the encryption we use every day. The only difference is, that the military specifies a minimum encryption level.

Basically .. that post was pure scaremongering without any fact nor reference provided. As such, it's nonsense.

/M

Do you work for Huawei!? :D

I wont derail the thread but the rumours, as you put it, are a little more than rumours, tbf. Let everyone decide for themselves whether your dismissal of it is justified or not.

KCross wrote: »
    Do you work for Huawei!? :D

I wont derail the thread but the rumours, as you put it, are a little more than rumours, tbf. Let everyone decide for themselves whether your dismissal of it is justified or not.

No I don't. Nor do I use any of their equipment, apart from the gear that I'm forced to use, as it belongs to the network.

Either way, if one makes such a statement, they should back it up.

There are lots of routers out there, that have security holes, can be abused and even rendered useless, if they're on an older firmware version.

All Eir F1000 routers are still on Zyxels rev 1 firmware. With all the bugs and security holes that come with it. You'll find issues (and shortcomings) with the majority of equipment on the internet. The internet is not safe. It's your duty to ensure, that your own connection and gear is looked after.

/M

Can someone help me with this one . when I finally can order FTTH I will be ordering a 150mbps service. Now , say if I were to order a 1gb service, and the router supplied by the ISP will (well should have) 802.11ac wireless - so if I want my windows laptops which all have 802.11n built in wireless card the 802.11ac will fall back to 802.11n for those laptops .... So to get the full (or near it) 1gb speed to those laptops with 802.11n wirelessly in my house I am going to have to plug in an 802.11ac usb dongle to each laptop ... Have I that right?

I think with 802.11n only goes max 150mbps on one channel or 450mbps using 2 channels... That right?

• Advertisement

Can someone help me with this one . when I finally can order FTTH I will be ordering a 150mbps service. Now , say if I were to order a 1gb service, and the router supplied by the ISP will (well should have) 802.11ac wireless - so if I want my windows laptops which all have 802.11n built in wireless card the 802.11ac will fall back to 802.11n for those laptops .... So to get the full (or near it) 1gb speed to those laptops with 802.11n wirelessly in my house I am going to have to plug in an 802.11ac usb dongle to each laptop ... Have I that right?

I think with 802.11n only goes max 150mbps on one channel or 450mbps using 2 channels... That right?

If your laptop only has a 802.11n card, it might not even have the CPU power to utilize 1 Gbit/s anyhow. You need a high end Intel i5 or i7 for that.

And even if your laptop was the best specification you can buy right now, you still would not see Gbit/s speeds on wireless. You have to be wired to even get near that. And even then the max you see is 860-930 Mbit/s depending on your PC/Laptop.

Where Gbit/s is handy is when multiple devices are using the connection and the aggregated speed then is Gbit/s and even more importantly the 100 Mbit/s upload.

Either way .. the speeds that are listed for 802.11n and 802.11ac are raw speeds. What you effectively will see on 802.11n is maybe 20-50 Mbit/s depending on the quality of the router, the quality of the wireless card in your laptop, your distance to the router, the size of your house and the type of insulation used in your house.

None of the providers will give you any support when it comes to issues with your wireless. They will always require, that you connect wired to test.

/M

If your laptop only has a 802.11n card, it might not even have the CPU power to utilize 1 Gbit/s anyhow. You need a high end Intel i5 or i7 for that.

And even if your laptop was the best specification you can buy right now, you still would not see Gbit/s speeds on wireless. You have to be wired to even get near that. And even then the max you see is 860-930 Mbit/s depending on your PC/Laptop.

Where Gbit/s is handy is when multiple devices are using the connection and the aggregated speed then is Gbit/s and even more importantly the 100 Mbit/s upload.

Either way .. the speeds that are listed for 802.11n and 802.11ac are raw speeds. What you effectively will see on 802.11n is maybe 20-50 Mbit/s depending on the quality of the router, the quality of the wireless card in your laptop, your distance to the router, the size of your house and the type of insulation used in your house.

None of the providers will give you any support when it comes to issues with your wireless. They will always require, that you connect wired to test.

/M

thanks for that. I am into computer repairs for a living (home repairs) and i used to do call-outs years ago and hated getting networking jobs and still dont like the networking side of things these days - thankfully I am just repairing windows PC's now for home use and work from home these days so I dont have to dabble in hardly any networking issues now which I am pleased with. Most of my customers I deal with , past and present have ADSL or fixed wireless and 802.11n routers and older laptops so i am OK for the moment

the next big wireless thing will be 802.11ax soon , if it isn't already isnt it.

See they are throttling in the Borrisoleigh area. My sister (same DP) is struggling to get 500mb whilst I’m over 900mb as usual. They use a lot of Netflix/Sky box sets gaming etc. They brought out the good auld Windows Update excuse. She has a MacBook that’s with Apple for repair

Who is they? openEir or the ISP? Are you sure it's not a fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I had a FTTH installation today. Even managed to get all the stuff installed in the loft on a beam and not messing up a wall. So far it's working but for a phone connection.

How does one set up VOIP on a F2000 modem? I have plugged the phone base station into the router but no dial tone. Do I have to set up a VOIP provider in the modem setup?

cnocbui wrote: »
    How does one set up VOIP on a F2000 modem? I have plugged the phone base station into the router but no dial tone. Do I have to set up a VOIP provider in the modem setup?

Sometimes Eir forget to send the login details to your router. If the light for VOIP is compleatly off contact chat support, that's what I did and it took about 10 mins to get it sorted.
    https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/

Yeah, it's dark. I'll try that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I had a FTTH installation today. Even managed to get all the stuff installed in the loft on a beam and not messing up a wall. So far it's working but for a phone connection.

Call them up and ask for the VOIP settings to be resent.

Website says Chat is available until 22:00 pm it's only 19:35 and the website says chat unavailable. :rolleyes:

I had a FTTH installation today. Even managed to get all the stuff installed in the loft on a beam ....

just wondering how you did that - thought the installers wouldnt even entertain going up in the loft space?

Website says Chat is available until 22:00 pm it's only 19:35 and the website says chat unavailable. :rolleyes:

I can connect to chat

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I can connect to chat

Thanks. Looks like I can if I use a different browser with no ad blocking. Weird, because I used the same browser earlier this afternoon and managed to chat. Now I can't - weird.

is that the TR-069 on the router where they can send you settings for the VOIP?

just wondering how you did that - thought the installers wouldnt even entertain going up in the loft space?

I offered to run the cable through the loft to get it to come out of the existing eir socket which is mid house, so good for WiFi. Did that. In chatting, I was asking how big the fibre plug was as I intended to uninstall everything and reinstall it in the loft. The installer offered to just install it in the loft, saying that's where he had installed his own, so he did. Perhaps my having it wired up there with powered sockets and having an extension board handy and a floodlight helped make it 'possible'. Started around 9:00, finished around 11:20. Now I just need to dig a trench to sink the conduit the fibre is running through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I offered to run the cable through the loft to get it to come out of the existing eir socket which is mid house, so good for WiFi. Did that. In chatting, I was asking how big the fibre plug was as I intended to uninstall everything and reinstall it in the loft. The installer offered to just install it in the loft, saying that's where he had installed his own, so he did. Perhaps my having it wired up there with powered sockets and having an extension board handy and a floodlight helped make it 'possible'. Started around 9:00, finished around 11:20. Now I just need to dig a trench to sink the conduit the fibre is running through.

Shouldn't have done that - if you ever have problems in the future then the eir techs can and probably will refuse to go into the attic and then you're screwed.
    I certainly wouldn't have always powered electronics somewhere I couldn't see them either

good stuff well done - bet its a lot neater that way

fritzelly wrote: »
    Shouldn't have done that - if you ever have problems in the future then the eir techs can and probably will refuse to go into the attic and then you're screwed.
    I certainly wouldn't have always powered electronics somewhere I couldn't see them either

It won't be my problem as I will be selling up and moving in a little while. Worst case, I could uninstall it all and reinstall it where I didn't want it and then get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

And there is no way even in the future open eir will test this all in one device out ? Not even enter into it or entertain it? - they won't put such a device through testing at all? Or even consider new devices on the market ? They will just stick with their current setup for the foreseeable future ?

I believe that within the next 2 years that this will be offered by at least 1 of either OpenEir or SIRO. The operators like Sky and Vodafone will push for this as you are correct in saying that it is a much neater solution for the vast majority of customers and as OpenEir and SIRO push further into VM dominated areas it will soon become a reason why customers will avoid switching from VM to FTTH which is what will ultimately drive the change.

For now though, you don't have a choice. If you were to find a Huawei ONT I don't believe you will be able to actually authenticate the ONT with the OLT. Each ONT is provisioned on the OLT and as part of that provisioning there is a unique way to authenticate the ONT with the OLT. This can be by a password, serial number of the ONT or a combination of both. Unless you change this configuration on the OLT then your new ONT won't actually work and the OLT will basically see it as a rogue ONT and won't be allowed to access the network.

I'd say you would be without internet for a very long time while you log calls with your provider trying to explain them to change the password or serial number on the OLT configuration to match yours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sky have specifically used unique creds to avoid integration with OpeEir OSS. Really doubt theyll change that mindset to be a little more tidy.

Vodafone are cheaper than Eir retail, why would OE want to deal with whatever useless CPE they end up purchasing. Current system works. Solid demark point. Mount it on the wall and it's not at all messy.

The WiFi range of this F2000 modem is appalling, it can't be much more than about 10m. What do people do to address this?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Sky have specifically used unique creds to avoid integration with OpeEir OSS. Really doubt theyll change that mindset to be a little more tidy.

Vodafone are cheaper than Eir retail, why would OE want to deal with whatever useless CPE they end up purchasing. Current system works. Solid demark point. Mount it on the wall and it's not at all messy.

it is messy! - compare it example with ADSL setup. neat telephone socket (with a built in ADSL filter faceplate) - one 13a socket needed for powering the DSL wifi router one telephone lead going to ADSL modem/router .. thats is - router can be screwed to wall or sit on ledge if you wish ... all nice and neat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement