Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

cnocbui wrote: »
    The WiFi range of this F2000 modem is appalling, it can't be much more than about 10m. What do people do to address this?

Don't get their home plugs! Buy a decent router

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ED E wrote: »
    Sky have specifically used unique creds to avoid integration with OpeEir OSS. Really doubt theyll change that mindset to be a little more tidy.

Vodafone are cheaper than Eir retail, why would OE want to deal with whatever useless CPE they end up purchasing. Current system works. Solid demark point. Mount it on the wall and it's not at all messy.

I am not sure I understand half that. Are you saying you think an Eir FTTH install isn't messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Sky have specifically used unique creds to avoid integration with OpeEir OSS. Really doubt theyll change that mindset to be a little more tidy.

Vodafone are cheaper than Eir retail, why would OE want to deal with whatever useless CPE they end up purchasing. Current system works. Solid demark point. Mount it on the wall and it's not at all messy.

What do you mean by unique creds, what are these creds for? Are you referring to Skys FTTH plans or their existing VDSL platform.

As we are now in a state where we have 2 FTTH providers operating similar reasonably sized networks and these networks will soon overlap as eir will target urban areas from next year the 2 networks will have to compete with each other. Pricing competition can only go so far and then you have to differentiate on other levels such as the above, SLAs, product customisation, network contention, higher speeds, virtualised OLTs which allow the retailers to customise their own product profiles, manage their traffic etc.

OE will also change in the coming years, most of the old guard are gone and the people left will have to adjust to a new French man in charge so I would say OE will start dealing more with what their customers want or else where there are 2 options for a house they won't get the custom.

Anyway, it's impossible to see how building 2 fibre networks beside a cable network is going to have a business case but let's see what the next 1-2 years bring.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Don't get their home plugs! Buy a decent router

What do you mean by 'home plug'?

Wifi extenders
    https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/homeplugs-and-other-accessories/

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Oh, thanks. Well with how the F2000 sucks, you just wouldn't, would you? Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

I'll see if my son can work out if it can be bridged to the SKY modem; that had excellent range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

you might not get the speeds you want with it but if you want to extend it go hard wired instead and get something like a TP link system that uses your house wiring - plug one of the units into the socket next to your router, then plug the ethernet/LAN cable from the router into the powerlink device - then plug the other powerlink plug near your laptop/computer and plug that in by ethernet cable to your computer/laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He's talking about the plugs that go into a power socket and can be used to extend a network to places that get a poor wifi signal.

The F2000 is solid as a router but its wifi is awful. Disabling wifi on the f2000 and buying a good wifi access point to plug into it is probably the best option.

you might not get the speeds you want with it but if you want to extend it go hard wired instead and get something like a TP link system that uses your house wiring - plug one of the units into the socket next to your router, then plug the ethernet/LAN cable from the router into the powerlink device - then plug the other powerlink plug near your laptop/computer and plug that in by ethernet cable to your computer/laptop

Macbook doesn't have an ethernet port. In testing I got 123 Mbps on 5Ghz WiFi so I'd prefer to look for a WiFi solution.

It's expensive but I had excellent results plugging this into a port on the f2000

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539032012&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=unifi+ac&dpPl=1&dpID=310jbgotwZL&ref=plSrch

Amazon will accept a refunt if you're not happy, no questions asked.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    It's expensive but I had excellent results plugging this into a port on the f2000

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539032012&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=unifi+ac&dpPl=1&dpID=310jbgotwZL&ref=plSrch

Thanks, I'll keep it mind.

Macbook doesn't have an ethernet port. In testing I got 123 Mbps on 5Ghz WiFi so I'd prefer to look for a WiFi solution.

ah right sorry i am not familiar with the macbook ports - you can get a USB to Lan adaptor for a windows laptop - but I dont know if it will work for apple macs

EDIT:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/wireless-adapters/tp-link-ue300-usb-3-0-to-gigabit-ethernet-universal-adapter-10148411-pdt.html

The new mac's only have usb c connections and then you buy dongles for whatever you need. He's much better off getting wifi sorted for a portable device like a macbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

It'd probably run just fine on a 9v pack if needs be, these things tend to not be too fussy.

You could daisy chain a small BBU and the router + ONT and have a fully mains failure resistant system if that bothers you.
    Yes, I measured the power usage on mine, 2 watts!

We have a good few electrical blips (that reboot the router) and the occasional power outages at times. So I have, since I got FTTH,
    this APC UPS (didn't pay that much though :) ). It's a slightly neater solution, I think, as you don't need to run a power strip from the back of a normal UPS to plug in a 13A plug. Only 4 sockets on UPS but enough for my setup.

The phone/Fritzbox router/ONT/Sat box (on standby) draw about 12-15W. Based on the specified runtime graph from APC, the battery would give me nearly 2hrs 40mins at 12W. Not a massive amount of time but it's really for the odd mains blip more than anything else, plus the surge protection.

Not sure how long the exchange running FTTH would stay up though ... I take it they have some form of backup and if so, how long would it likely last?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Second this so much. Amazing devices. Only the tip of a very big range from Ubiquiti for networking both at home and in larger environments.

The new mac's only have usb c connections and then you buy dongles for whatever you need. He's much better off getting wifi sorted for a portable device like a macbook.

oh boy am I glad I held off repairing apple mac's - mind you i see you can also buy a USB C - USB Adaptor so that's one thing I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

oh boy am I glad I held off repairing apple mac's - mind you i see you can also buy a USB C - USB Adaptor so that's one thing I suppose

Yeah gotta be careful though. If its not an official apple one this happens:

MBSnr wrote: »
    Not sure how long the exchange running FTTH would stay up though ... I take it they have some form of backup and if so, how long would it likely last?

A long while - they have diesel generator backups, cabs have battery backups I believe

We have a good few electrical blips (that reboot the router) and the occasional power outages at times. So I have, since I got FTTH,
    this APC UPS (didn't pay that much though :) ). It's a slightly neater solution, I think, as you don't need to run a power strip from the back of a normal UPS to plug in a 13A plug. Only 4 sockets on UPS but enough for my setup.

The phone/Fritzbox router/ONT/Sat box (on standby) draw about 12-15W. Based on the specified runtime graph from APC, the battery would give me nearly 2hrs 40mins at 12W. Not a massive amount of time but it's really for the odd mains blip more than anything else, plus the surge protection.

I have an old Mustek UPS lying around here somewhere(unless i sent it to the tip) - used to have it for one of my desktop PC setups . only paid something like 40eur (or it might have been punts) and from memory I think when it packed up I split it and I think it was just a Battery it needed - they have the 12v (yuasa I think) sealed dry lead batteries like the alarms (fire alarms/burglar alarms) have in their control boxes as a battery backup - that was pretty good , had protection for surges/blackouts and brownouts and RFI built into its circuitry as well I think

ah right sorry i am not familiar with the macbook ports - you can get a USB to Lan adaptor for a windows laptop - but I dont know if it will work for apple macs

EDIT:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/wireless-adapters/tp-link-ue300-usb-3-0-to-gigabit-ethernet-universal-adapter-10148411-pdt.html

It's a 2012 machine. It has gen 1 Thunderbolt ports. Apple's solution was a Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle which delivers gigabit ethernet.

I was really surprised to find a 2012 Macbook had 5 Ghz WiFi.

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »
    I believe that within the next 2 years that this will be offered by at least 1 of either OpenEir or SIRO. The operators like Sky and Vodafone will push for this as you are correct in saying that it is a much neater solution for the vast majority of customers ..

ah well thats good to know anyway that it is possible they might look into this in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Thanks for this suggestion.

Is it just “plug and play” or is there complicated software setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The optical gear in the exchange also uses a lot less power than the old copper gear. On top of that, further distances are covered, so the NGA gear is in less locations.

It's 20km distance on each passive optical GPON cluster.

So OpenEIRs gear should have more than sufficient battery backup and may not even be covered by the same grid.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Peppa Cig wrote: »

Definitely not plug and play. It's not really intended for domestic use, but they're priced such that they're ideal for anyone who's happy to configure/manage them.

Having said that I have the Unifi AC Pro and it's worth every cent to me.

Here's an idea of what's involved in setting them up:

Peppa Cig wrote: »

You need 2 ethernet cables. Plug one into the router and the to the power over ethernet adaptor included. Plug the poe adaptor into a power socket and run another ethernet cable to the access point. This way you can move the ap around and both power and conectivety is provided by the one ethernet cable.
    Download software and set an SSID and password.
    It has loads of settings but thats all you need to get it up and running.

There is a bracket to mount the ap on a wall or cealing but I just have mine on a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My sister just got FTTH yesterday and I noticed that there was no ODP and also the ONT is enclosed in a holder. Is it some sort of two and one or am I missing something here.

https://imgur.com/a/k6NQ2dA

https://imgur.com/a/5o8hMLS

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pangea wrote: »
    My sister just got FTTH yesterday and I noticed that there was no ODP and also the ONT is enclosed in a holder. Is it some sort of two and one or am I missing something here.

The holder is the ODP. It's a new type ODP that SIRO have been using a while and now also is used by OpenEIR. It's a much neater setup that way.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

A little information on this weeks rollout: nearly 23k premises have been listed.

They are spread all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Dero wrote: »
    Definitely not plug and play. It's not really intended for domestic use, but they're priced such that they're ideal for anyone who's happy to configure/manage them.

Having said that I have the Unifi AC Pro and it's worth every cent to me.

Here's an idea of what's involved in setting them up:

Friztbox new Mesh WiFi concept could be an easier Plug and Play option for non techs like me.

Using mesh repeater option with Ethernet could be good.

Any opinions?

https://en.avm.de/mesh-networking/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement