Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

cnocbui wrote: »
    The WiFi range of this F2000 modem is appalling, it can't be much more than about 10m. What do people do to address this?

How much range do you need? If it's not a big distance/thick wall situation you don't really need to spend alot on a wifi router/extender. It's nice to do so:D but of course you can probably get something that will do the job for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Friztbox new Mesh WiFi concept could be an easier Plug and Play option for non techs like me.

Using mesh repeater option with Ethernet could be good.

Any opinions?

https://en.avm.de/mesh-networking/

I use it. It works without problem when the 2 routers are wired. It's still a bit buggy, when you connect them via wireless.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How much range do you need? If it's not a big distance/thick wall situation you don't really need to spend alot on a wifi router/extender. It's nice to do so:D but of course you can probably get something that will do the job for a lot less.

I need enough range to reach the ends of the house, given the router is sited in the middle. The F2000 would barely reach half the house, The SKY router reached to the garden shed, so would easily have 3-4 times the range. Using my phone as a wifi spot, it has more range than this POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

cnocbui wrote: »
    I need enough range to reach the ends of the house, given the router is sited in the middle. The F2000 would barely reach half the house, The SKY router reached to the garden shed, so would easily have 3-4 times the range. Using my phone as a wifi spot, it has more range than this POS.

You'd probably get something that suits your needs for under 30 new or under 15 2nd hand. At the cheap leavels the Xiaomi Routers are cheap as chips and have good range and going up Asus do some very reasonably priced stuff too. All at or under the price of homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So once my friend's house has a due date to go live, when can he order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A little information on this weeks rollout: nearly 23k premises have been listed..

i'm not one of those again 23k :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

When it's been confirmed that it's live as there are often delays.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Depends on the provider, that he goes with. Some will sign you up before the go live date and then look after getting the line ordered for you.

Some won't take your order until the due date is gone.

Generally: contact whatever provider you want to go with and talk to them. Also, just because it for example has a date listed on Airwire's check, that doesn't mean you can order from Eir. Their data could still be way out of date.

Whatever broadband check gave you the result is who you can order from.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Got a date for the 7th of November. Absolutely delighted. Pray to god there is no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

correction wrote: »
    Got a date for the 7th of November. Absolutely delighted. Pray to god there is no delays.

Get out there and get that duct checked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Eir's FTTH scheme passes many houses which are not allowed to avail of FTTH at the moment, because they have FTTC of 30 Mb/sec, or greater. Is it reasonable to assume when Eir's rural FTTH project is completed, that those FTTC customers referred to will be then be able to avail of FTTH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Eir's FTTH scheme passes many houses which are not allowed to avail of FTTH at the moment, because they have FTTC of 30 Mb/sec, or greater. Is it reasonable to assume when Eir's rural FTTH project is completed, that those FTTC customers referred to will be then be able to avail of FTTH?

That depends where they are. They are taking about launching a large urban FTTH rollout in mid 2019. You would expect the higher density areas to be targeted first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'll depend on SIRO really. Under 30Mb is rural FTTH, close to the cab will be super vectored so the "up for grabs" bit is the small no man's in the middle. VM pricing means they won't eat into the faster end too much. If SIRO offer a 40Mb sub 150 for the same money that's where OE will be hurt and maybe try prevent it/win em back.

ED E wrote: »
    close to the cab will be super vectored so the "up for grabs" bit is the small no man's in the middle.

Supervectoring is on hold at the moment, I'm afraid. So not likely to be introduced. One reason being political, the other being, that new management is focusing on FTTH in Urban areas and don't want to pay for the upgrades.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shame, still wouldn't surprise me to see it later on when Huawei slash the pricing and it becomes an easy win.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

That depends where they are. They are taking about launching a large urban FTTH rollout in mid 2019. You would expect the higher density areas to be targeted first.

But surely if the fibre cable is already passing your house, it's no big deal just to make a connection? Or is it that simple? 30 Mb is ok if you lived alone in your house, but becomes inadequate where there are multiple users in the same house - which, I imagine, is the case in most households.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    But surely if the fibre cable is already passing your house, it's no big deal just to make a connection? Or is it that simple? 30 Mb is ok if you lived alone in your house, but becomes inadequate where there are multiple users in the same house - which, I imagine, is the case in most households.

It's not quite that simple. They would need to arrange splicing and the installation of a distribution point if the home is out of reach of an existing DP. They'll likely target areas where their ROI is highest. That may or may not be where you are.

Look at the cool new Unifi GUI :D

Also FTTH Speed tests over a 1 month period.

hzvmc7L.png

uHaVZUJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

m99T wrote: »
    Look at the cool new Unifi GUI :D

Also FTTH Speed tests over a 1 month period.

Is that Eir FTTH? What I'd give for that consistency let alone them speeds.

Jim

• Advertisement

westyIrl wrote: »
    Is that Eir FTTH? What I'd give for that consistency let alone them speeds.

Jim

Yes indeedy. 150Mb/s FTTH from Eir

A little information on this weeks rollout: nearly 23k premises have been listed.

They are spread all over the country.

Hello Martin - can you shine some light on this - I put my eircode in on your availability checker on your website and it says "Coming Soon" - I put the eircode of the school just a few hundred meters up the road from me and it says FTTH 'Available' ... however if I put the school eircode in of the school on the open eir rural at https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ - it says "not available at this address" for the school .. but you have it listed as Available.

463370.jpg

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hello Martin - can you shine some light on this - I put my eircode in on your availability checker on your website and it says "Coming Soon" - I put the eircode of the school just a few hundred meters up the road from me and it says FTTH 'Available' ... however if I put the school eircode in of the school on the open eir rural at https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ - it says "not available at this address" for the school .. but you have it listed as Available.

You would need to ask Eir, how old the data is, that they are working off. We update our database much more often than most of the other providers.

I can only answer you specific questions in relations to Airwire, not other providers like Eir. But it is very likely, that their data set is a week or more old. Our data set is from this morning, when OpenEIR released the newest prequalification list.

463370.jpg

By the looks of this you're on the rollout anyway and it seems to be live

d8gf3oH.png
    You should check
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

Because if your Eircode ends in 3 then its currently available based on OpenEir's DB that Airwire has.

Airwire is the most up to date. So get it ordered, because you can get it now by the looks of things!

By the looks of this you're on the rollout anyway and it seems to be live

d8gf3oH.png
    You should check
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

Because if your Eircode ends in 3 then its currently available.

Airwire is the most up to date.

oh wow thats getting my hopes up -

but thats what I was also getting at . I put my eircode into airwire availability checker and the school is "Available now" but my eircode says "Coming Soon"

Yes! - my eircode ends in 03

but thats what I was also getting at . I put my eircode into airwire availability checker and the school is "Available now" but my eircode says "Coming Soon"

I'll send you a PM.

Exchanges get enabled in stages. If the school just went live, then there is a good chance that you may be available in a week or two. That's been the case in most areas.

/M

I'll send you a PM.

Many thanks for that .... this hopefully is looking good. I can smell it in reach now :)

Marlow wrote: »
    Exchanges get enabled in stages. If the school just went live, then there is a good chance that you may be available in a week or two. That's been the case in most areas.

/M

It's weird though, the house to the left is live (Right next door) and the school to the right is live. It is confusing and intriguing me at the same time.

• Advertisement

It's weird though, the house to the left is live and the school to the right is live. It is confusing and intriguing me at the same time.

They've probably blacklisted him after reading of his plans here to order Chinese ONTs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement