Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

m99T wrote: »
    It's weird though, the house to the left is live (Right next door) and the school to the right is live. It is confusing and intriguing me at the same time.

it is - I will check that out tomorrow surely - thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's weird though, the house to the left is live (Right next door) and the school to the right is live. It is confusing and intriguing me at the same time.

If that's the case, then he should engage with whatever ISP he wants to order from, explain the situation to them, place his order and let them sort it out with OpenEIR.

These mistakes happen. Regularly. I mean where the odd house gets left out by accident.

In a lot of cases, it's because the Eircode is matched to the wrong location. Phone numbers and VDSL/FTTC lines are ordered by OpenEIRs old system called ard-id or ard-key. FTTH lines are ordered by eircode, but matched back to ard-id/ard-keys. And sometimes they're mapped completely wrong.

Only a provider can fix that by talking to OpenEIR.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Marlow wrote: »
    If that's the case, then he should engage with whatever ISP he wants to order from, explain the situation to them, place his order and let them sort it out with OpenEIR.

These mistakes happen. Regularly. I mean where the odd house gets left out by accident.

In a lot of cases, it's because the Eircode is matched to the wrong location. Phone numbers and VDSL/FTTC lines are ordered by OpenEIRs old system called ard-id or ard-key. FTTH lines are ordered by eircode, but matched back to ard-id/ard-keys. And sometimes they're mapped completely wrong.

Only a provider can fix that by talking to OpenEIR.

/M

Yep thats what I was thinking. Looks like you could get this sorted if you find the right guy at the call center Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yep thats what I was thinking. Looks like you could get this sorted if you find the right guy at the call center Andy.

I would not try ringing eir to sort it. I was an hour on the phone today waiting to talk to someone. I like Kasabian but the novelty of listening to Fire wears off after the eleventh playing.

I think Andy was talking about ordering from Westnet so hopefully they can sort it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I would not try ringing eir to sort it. I was an hour on the phone today waiting to talk to someone. I like Kasabian but the novelty of listening to Fire wears off after the eleventh playing.

I think Andy was talking about ordering from Westnet so hopefully they can sort it for him.

100% agree with that. Actually removed 'Eir' from my original post. Although I do have a direct number to their onboarding team somewhere and I will post if I can find. No hold, just gets pushed to the front of the hunt group and answered as soon as someone is available.

• Advertisement

look at this - I am house number 3 - according to airwire Number 1 and Number 2 eircodes are 'Available' ... me (Number 3) and Number 4 eircode's say 'Coming Soon' still on the airwire availability checker... God why am I getting such bad luck!

463402.jpg

look at this - I am house number 3 - according to airwire Number 1 and Number 2 eircodes are 'Available' ... me (Number 3) and Number 4 eircode's say 'Coming Soon' still ... God why am I getting such bad luck!

No .. that's not bad luck. That would indicate that you may be in next weeks update.

As I said, the rollout is in stages. Number1 and 2 may be on one DP. Number 3 and 4 may be on another DP.

4 or sometimes 8 houses on a DP. Start complaining next week :)

/M

No .. that's not bad luck. That would indicate that you may be in next weeks update.

As I said, the rollout is in stages. Number1 and 2 may be on one DP. Number 3 and 4 may be on another DP.

4 or sometimes 8 houses on a DP.

/M

ah right thanks .. now I get it .. (I think) - how many terminations can be made from each DP again?

ah right thanks .. now I get it .. (I think) - how many terminations can be made from each DP again?

4. In some cases 8.

/M

look at this - I am house number 3 - according to airwire Number 1 and Number 2 eircodes are 'Available' ... me (Number 3) and Number 4 eircode's say 'Coming Soon' still on the airwire availability checker... God why am I getting such bad luck!
    What result does the large building to the right of 4 give?

• Advertisement

4. In some cases 8.

/M

thanks for clarifying that - I have a DP on a pole opposite the rode from me (I can see it from my living room window) and then in June i think it were I took this photo of a DP they were putting in a chamber in the pavement just outside my front wall . And I also saw the black pipe ducts from our 4 houses terminating into that chamber ... so presumably we will be connected to the DP in the underground chamber when we finally get connected ???

8OPUztW.jpg

thanks for clarifying that - I have a DP on a pole opposite the rode from me (I can see it from my living room window) and then in June i think it were I took this photo of a DP they were putting in a chamber in the pavement just outside my front wall . And I also saw the black pipe ducts from our 4 houses terminating into that chamber ... so presumably we will be connected to the DP in the underground chamber when we finally get connected ???

That entirely depends on what they index your eircode to. It's not always that simple.

Again. Speak to the provider you want a connection from. They have the data. OpenEIR is not going to talk to you.

/M

What result does the large building to the right of 4 give?

um 'Available Soon' on the airwire availability checker

Sounds like Marlow is correct and you'll hopefully be in the next update.

So. It's indexed, but not in the prequal list. The same as 3 and 4 (like you). Indicating, it might be in the list next week. Or as they increase the rollout, but very very soon.

/M

That entirely depends on what they index your eircode to. It's not always that simple.

Again. Speak to the provider you want a connection from. They have the data. OpenEIR is not going to talk to you.

/M

ok - it just looked (logically) that I would be connected to the DP in the underground chamber ...

i have got in touch with paul at westnet because I really want to avail of the free connection - he has just answered back (good man, even at this time of night!) and said that there is a RFO date of October 31 are FTTC (I dunno what RFO means) and that there are no addresses in in our area listed as FTTH at all

feckin hell .. this is a bloody nightmare! - does this mean that theairwire availability checker that says it is available at number 1 and number 2 and the school is available an error then?

Why cant everyone work of the same list ? - who do I believe now?

They've probably blacklisted him after reading of his plans here to order Chinese ONTs!

haha - i tell ye what , the rate this is going I dont care if they get an ONT from the outer hebradies, and an ODT and 2 routers and wires all across untidily across thefloor at the moment with 8 power supplies - I just want to be able to just order the feckin thing!

ok - it just looked (logically) that I would be connected to the DP in the underground chamber ...

i have got in touch with paul at westnet because I really want to avail of the free connection - he has just answered back (good man, even at this time of night!) and said that there is a RFO date of October 31 are FTTC (I dunno what RFO means) and that there are no addresses in in our area listed as FTTH at all

feckin hell .. this is a bloody nightmare! - does this mean that theairwire availability checker that says it is available at number 1 and number 2 and the school is available an error then?

Why cant everyone work of the same list ? - who do I believe now?

RFO means ready for order. I'm not sure why there is confusion over the dates between the companies.

RFO means ready for order. I'm not sure why there is confusion over the dates between the companies.

Poor quality of the database provided by OpenEIR and how it's analysed.

Andy, did the Airwire checker give you a VDSL result on your eircode ? Or did Paul give you the result based on a phone number ?

/M

oh right thanks .. no, nor do I know why there is confusion - I thought there was this APQ list or whatever it is that only providers can see but public cannot see

• Advertisement

oh right thanks .. no, nor do I know why there is confusion - I thought there was this APQ list or whatever it is that only providers can see but public cannot see

Yes, no and maybe. The APQ is based on Ard-key or Ard-ids. The provider then gets a list of Ard-keys to match to an eircode, but not every ard-key is matched to an eircode and some premises have more than one ard-key. So additionally, a manual match can be made by phone number to tie them all together .. or not.

/M

Poor quality of the database provided by OpenEIR and how it's analysed.

Andy, did the Airwire checker give you a VDSL result on your eircode ? Or did Paul give you the result based on a phone number ?

/M

thanks, The Airwire says FTTC/VDS 7down/1up (thats worse than my fixed wireless system that I have at present) is 31/10/18 and then the FTTH says "not available"

I havent got a working(activated) phone line at my address - I havent even got a phone landline number

thanks, The Airwire says FTTC/VDS 7down/1up (thats worse than my fixed wireless system that I have at present) is 31/10/18 and then the FTTH says "not available"

I havent got a working(activated) phone line at my address - I havent even got a phone landline number

Never mind the 7/1 speed. That's because they have not been able to physically test the line yet. That figure can be completely different 24-48 hours after the line is live. If you PM me your eircode, I can tell you the approx distance to the VDSL cabinet.

So Pauls information was quite correct. You're both indexed for FTTH and FTTC. I've seen that in some places.

/M

Never mind the 7/1 speed. That's because they have not been able to physically test the line yet. That figure can be completely different 24-48 hours after the line is live. If you PM me your eircode, I can tell you the approx distance to the VDSL cabinet.

So Pauls information was quite correct. You're both indexed for FTTH and FTTC. I've seen that in some places.

/M

It's eVDSL as far as I'm aware.

It's eVDSL as far as I'm aware.

More than likely, yes. If I recall correctluy, 5% of the 300k were to be enabled by eVDSL anyhow and Andy may be one of the unlucky ones.

A lot of "uncharted" VDSL lines start at 7/1 and once you re-test them after 24 hours you can bring them up to the max possible depending on distance and attenuation. Again, depending on how much the provider cares. It requires a manual re-test in UG.

/M

More than likely, yes. I think 5% of the 300k were to be enabled by eVDSL anyhow and Andy my be one of the unlucky ones.

A lot of "uncharted" VDSL lines start at 7/1 and once you re-test them after 24 hours you can bring them up to the max possible depending on distance and attenuation. Again, depending on how much the provider cares.

/M

They are hardly installing FTTH infrastructure outside his house only to skip him.

/M

ah right thanks

1 and a half KM's from me to cabinet according to google maps .

QluqrIS.jpg

ah right thanks

1 and a half KM's from me to cabinet according to google maps .

Nevermind that. The fibrerollout map has not been updated in over 3 months.

There's a good few cabinets gone live in the last 3 months, that may or may not be on the map.

Without the eircode, there's no knowning what the actual distance is.

/M

Nevermind that. The fibrerollout map has not been updated in over 3 months.

There's a good few cabinets gone live in the last 3 months, that may or may not be on the map.

Without the eircode, there's no knowning what the actual distance is.

/M

There's only one cabinet. It's in Coolanney or Collooney.

• Advertisement

More than likely, yes. If I recall correctluy, 5% of the 300k were to be enabled by eVDSL anyhow and Andy may be one of the unlucky ones.

A lot of "uncharted" VDSL lines start at 7/1 and once you re-test them after 24 hours you can bring them up to the max possible depending on distance and attenuation. Again, depending on how much the provider cares. It requires a manual re-test in UG.

/M

I have 2 3m dP's directly outside my house (one on a pole and one UG in pavement) I would be bloody vocal if they are skipping me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement