Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    Nevermind that. The fibrerollout map has not been updated in over 3 months.

There's a good few cabinets gone live in the last 3 months, that may or may not be on the map.

Without the eircode, there's no knowning what the actual distance is.

/M

heres my understanding looking at the info I can find - that it looks to me that the FTTC will be live in my village on 31/10/18 but the FTTH is live (for some addresses) already - could it work like that or has the cabinet got to be VDSL live before the FTTH is live?

Yes I will PM eircode to ye then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There's only one cabinet. It's in Coolanney or Collooney.

I can't see, how they expect to meet the 30M minimum from that, if that's the case. But alone last month 24 eVDSL/NGA VDSL cabs changed status nationwide.
    I have 2 3m dP's directly outside my house (one on a pole and one UG in pavement) I would be bloody vocal if they are skipping me!

Oh .. so would I.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I can't see, how they expect to meet the 30M minimum from that, if that's the case. But alone last month 24 eVDSL/NGA VDSL cabs changed status nationwide.

Oh .. so would I.

/M

It's got to be some mistake. Why would they be putting DPs on poles and in access chambers outside his house. His next-door neighbour can get FTTH.

It's got to be some mistake. Why would they be putting DPs on poles and in access chambers outside his house. His next-door neighbour can get FTTH.

Nah .. He's got to relax. And they've done this thing in a lot of places. I've seen an area in Kildare recently, where they've rolled out FTTH, then listed DPs as full and then enabled an eVDSL cab. You'd be crying making a living with that sort of stuff going on.

Andy .. seriously .. you're 16 metres from the DP according to data. And it's FTTH you're getting. Nevermind the VDSL bit of things. That's just OpenEIR doing their thing.

Sure .. a couple of weeks and then start a fire under their arses ... that will sort things :)

/M

Nah .. He's got to relax. And they've done this thing in a lot of places. I've seen an area in Kildare recently, where they've rolled out FTTH, then listed DPs as full and then enabled an eVDSL cab. You'd be crying making a living with that sort of stuff going on.

Andy .. seriously .. you're 16 metres from the DP according to data. And it's FTTH you're getting. Nevermind the VDSL bit of things. That's just OpenEIR doing their thing.

Sure .. a couple of weeks and then start a fire under their arses ... that will sort things :)

/M

ah right - Im not 16 metres to the DP in the UG chamber I'm much nearer than that - if I pee from my front door it would hit the cast iron cover on the chamber! :)

so.. I shouldnt be waiting to the end of the month before I order likely then? - more like a week do you reckon the way things normally go?

• Advertisement

ah right - Im not 16 metres to the DP in the UG chamber I'm much nearer than that - if I pee from my front door it would hit the cast iron cover on the chamber! :)

16 metres is a desktop calculation. It wasn't measured with a measuring tape.

And yes. patience .. you're in Ireland. The way things are going, you'll be alright in a few weeks.

/M

16 metres is a desktop calculation. It wasn't measured with a measuring tape.

And yes. patience .. you're in Ireland. The way things are going, you'll be alright in a few weeks.

/M

watch this space lol - my BP is raised I know that much . I know I shouldn't let it get me wound up but I am not the most patient of people . I have seen the DP boxes go up in June!

I hate omens - if my address doesnt show up as available now but my next door neighbours are .. can you guess how its going to get me riled up if when I finally can order it a KN bloke comes out and says your duct is blocked or there is some other problem that results in a failed install! - its very hard keeping positive .. I hate negativity but honestly this whole wait for the thing to go live and be abled to be ordered is a very trying time! - be glad when its all over and its all fitted and working and I am getting 150mb (or near it)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

There was a glitch in our availability check, where it would list a premise as available for FTTH, when it was indexed for FTTH and VDSL becomes available in the Prequalification list.

We've fixed that now.

The unfortunate news for the likes of Andy is, that it may be a little longer, before he gets fibre. But the NGA deployment plan shows that the Coolaney exchange is to be FTTH enabled in Q4/2018, so it's most certainly not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

For those with the Fritzbox, AVM released OS v7.01 yesterday for the 7560 model to fix a few bugs. This time the update check from within the web interface found the update. Going from v6.83 to v7 it didn't see the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I should stop for a photo and post it, next time I pass. There's a DP box on a pole, with nothing but blank green fields near it. It's rather strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

There was a glitch in our availability check, where it would list a premise as available for FTTH, when it was indexed for FTTH and VDSL becomes available in the Prequalification list.

Apologies, but what does this mean in very layman's terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

jgbyr wrote: »
    Apologies, but what does this mean in very layman's terms?

Some houses that were able to get both VDSL (Internet via the telephone line) and Fibre to the Home (Fibre cable directly to the house) were marked as being able to get Fibre when only VDSL was available.

They were marked as such because they were able to get VDSL internet due to it being available in the area (VDSL Cabinet being switched on). However they could not get Fibre (Fibre lines not ready, distribution points not live). This caused the checker on Airwire.ie to assume that they could get fibre when in reality it was only VDSL or Internet over the telephone wire that they could receive.

(MartinL will correct me on any mistakes I have made, but I believe that is the jist)

We've fixed that now.

The unfortunate news for the likes of Andy is, that it may be a little longer, before he gets fibre. But the NGA deployment plan shows that the Coolaney exchange is to be FTTH enabled in Q4/2018, so it's most certainly not too far away.

Oh martin that's the second time I have checked your availability and the second time its come up with a glitch saying an address is available when it isn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

So do Airwire cover fibre nation wide? Now that they're unlimited I'd much prefer to go with them if they cover my area (rural Wexford)?

Also when it says available on 7-11-18 is that the first date an order can be placed or can/should I order in advance? Thanks

m99T wrote: »
    Some houses that were able to get both VDSL (Internet via the telephone line) and Fibre to the Home (Fibre cable directly to the house) were marked as being able to get Fibre when only VDSL was available.

They were marked as such because they were able to get VDSL internet due to it being available in the area (VDSL Cabinet being switched on). However they could not get Fibre (Fibre lines not ready, distribution points not live). This caused the checker on Airwire.ie to assume that they could get fibre when in reality it was only VDSL or Internet over the telephone wire that they could receive.

(MartinL will correct me on any mistakes I have made, but I believe that is the jist)

But (according to airwire checker) even fttc VDSL isn't live in this area until 31/10/18 ... So why would that cause the checker on airwire to list (only some as well) houses were available now for FTTH ?

The airwire checker (for me anyway) has proved twice to be incorrect, and the open eir websites seem to not be updated so how am I meant to know when it finally does all go live in my area? Open eir should put up a placard at the side of the road when it finally goes live saying something like "fibre broadband is now available in this area" .. But I know they won't !

But (according to airwire checker) even fttc VDSL isn't live in this area until 31/10/18 ... So why would that cause the checker on airwire to list (only some as well) houses were available now for FTTH ?

The airwire checker (for me anyway) has proved twice to be incorrect, and the open eir websites seem to not be updated so how am I meant to know when it finally does all go live in my area? Open eir should put up a placard at the side of the road when it finally goes live saying something like "fibre broadband is now available in this area" .. But I know they won't !

Hi,

you are confusing a few things here.

The Airwire checker relies on how accurate the data are, that OpenEIR provides us with. So, where you say, it has been incorrect twice for you means that OpenEIR would have provided data that was wrong or they were not ready and then re-adjusted the data again afterwards. There is very little we can do about the quality of the data we are provided with.

As for the issue with the school and a few houses around you listed as being available yesterday, that's a glitch in the way we do the check. And that has been fixed.

OpenEIR gives us the FTTC and FTTH enabled homes all in one big list. They then give us an additional list, that has all physical lines in Ireland, including the premises that have been indexed. The glitch basically came from the odd scenario, where a house is covered by FTTC and FTTH at the same time, never mind the launch date. And we had made a coding mistake in that scenario. But that's the only time since we launched our product check tool, where it actually has provided inaccurate data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I find it all confusing. I was listed as Ftth coming soon & now it's not available.
    Oh well.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I find it all confusing. I was listed as Ftth coming soon & now it's not available.
    Oh well.

I've send you a PM to that effect. That has something to do with the way OpenEIR manage their eircode database. I wouldn't panic yet. The fibre entry on the ard-key is still there. It's just not associated with the eircode any longer. That happens more than often. (ard-key is how OpenEIR traditionally index all premises)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

correction wrote: »
    So do Airwire cover fibre nation wide? Now that they're unlimited I'd much prefer to go with them if they cover my area (rural Wexford)?

Also when it says available on 7-11-18 is that the first date an order can be placed or can/should I order in advance? Thanks

Sorry, just putting this here so it doesn't get lose as the last post on the previous page.:o

correction wrote: »

On OpenEIR, generally yes. We can be selective, if we can't ensure good bandwidth to certain exchanges. And you can order even before that date, but we can't place the order with OpenEIR until then. We would look after getting it in as early as possible, if the order has been placed already.

• Advertisement

Hi,

you are confusing a few things here.

The Airwire checker relies on how accurate the data are, that OpenEIR provides us with. So, where you say, it has been incorrect twice for you means that OpenEIR would have provided data that was wrong or they were not ready and then re-adjusted the data again afterwards. There is very little we can do about the quality of the data we are provided with.

As for the issue with the school and a few houses around you listed as being available yesterday, that's a glitch in the way we do the check. And that has been fixed.

OpenEIR gives us the FTTC and FTTH enabled homes all in one big list. They then give us an additional list, that has all physical lines in Ireland, including the premises that have been indexed. The glitch basically came from the odd scenario, where a house is covered by FTTC and FTTH at the same time, never mind the launch date. And we had made a coding mistake in that scenario. But that's the only time since we launched our product check tool, where it actually has provided inaccurate data.

Thanks martin.
    If its the case that you are saying that its Open Eir fault for supplying you with the wrong data / information why arent you as a provider pulling them up on things like this and breath down their necks (and maybe getting problems sorted out quickly?) after all as far as I can make it the customer does not have access to OpenEir in the same way an ISP has and gets no-where but an ISP can raise an issue with them and pull them up on things so it sounds like people like yourself has better luck getting open eir to sort out problems rather than the public can

Secondly twice I have pointed out the issue of the wrong data about it being available when it wasnt and twice I have pointed it out and you have amended the details and marked them 'coming soon' instead - can you not double check when the lists come out on tuesdays and 'flag' what could be incorrect data on the list? and ammend it before it goes onto your site? (I understand if you say you cannot check thousands of eircode addresses/premises and that it wouldnt be viable) - but if I hadnt of pointed out the incorrect details for my area twice now , would you have still had it up on your site as 'available' ?

We didn't amend the data. At all. OpenEIR corrected it, as their build unfolds.

And in regards to double-checking, we're talking about 2 database files with respectively 1.8 million and 5.2 million records. It's impossible filter or screen these in a sensible way.

Would you prefer, that we pull our product check tool instead and require our customers to ring us to find out, if they can get broadband ? Because that's the only other solution I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

And in regards to double-checking, we're talking about 2 database files with respectively 1.8 million and 5.2 million records. It's impossible filter or screen these in a sensible way.

Would you prefer, that we pull our product check tool instead and require our customers to ring us to find out, if they can get broadband ? Because that's the only other solution I can see.

Are you allowed to give more technical details on your checker? Like DP assigned to the address etc? Or is all of that strictly NDA.

m99T wrote: »
    Are you allowed to give more technical details on your checker? Like DP assigned to the address etc? Or is all of that strictly NDA.

Making that sort of information publicly available, we'd be on the boundaries of GDPR, nevermind the NDA.

We've made as much information available as we possibly can and we're constantly improving the data, that we supply.

no - that would be a knee-jerk reaction, especially if you say 99 percent of the time it has been accurate ... - and now you have explained it better I can see where you are coming from with that amount of figures.

So, are you saying its all done automatically and that OE correct the checker details on your website and you dont amend the details at all - because the 2 times I have reported it , it has changed straight after me mentioning it - or is that just co-incidence maybe?

So, are you saying its all done automatically and that OE correct the checker details on your website and you dont amend the details at all - because the 2 times I have reported it , it has changed straight after me mentioning it - or is that just co-incidence maybe?

It's a coincidence. And no, OpenEIR don't have any access to our checker. They supply us with the database in intervals, which we then clean and import.

There is no way, that we would give them access to our data. We provide on more platforms than OpenEIR. That's also the reason, why we had to build our own product check tool.

Either way, the data has to be treated as indicative due to the low quality of the data, that we are provided with.

Mistakes happen and to be fair to Airwire most people here would be lost without their regular updates. The eir checker for example pales in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mistakes happen and to be fair to Airwire most people here would be lost without their regular updates. The eir checker for example pales in comparison.

Unless you look at the JSON, then its a little interesting.

ED E wrote: »

The underlying data is the same. It really depends on 2 things: the frequency of the implemented updates and how much information they expose.

Also, the Eir fibre check would use the API for UG to check against phone numbers, but that's a whole another kettle of fish to deal with.

Might be easier just to screenscrape the eir-retail json alright :)

/M

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

I was more referring to the frequency of updates in relation to FTTH but thanks for the tip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement