Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Can TD's in your local area get involved for things like this and try and get things moving quicker than they should with the powers that be in eir/openeir/kn or whoever it is holding things up and not finishing up the job/infrastructure for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Can TD's in your local area get involved for things like this and try and get things moving quicker than they should with the powers that be in eir/openeir/kn or whoever it is holding things up and not finishing up the job/infrastructure for the area

You want Nigel Carter, he is Sligo CoCo's Broadband officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Pointless. In the days of state ownership, plenty strings were pulled alright. Nowadays, you'd probably have as much luck asking a local TD to orchestrate a windows update for some feature thats broken for you.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No, they can not. Eircom/OpenEIR/Eir retail is a private company.

While they have a contractual requirement for the 300k rollout, the government can not influence their rollout.

That train left the building, when the government sold off Eircom.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

No. To be fair your exchange is scheduled for Q4 2018 and you are ten days into Q4. I know it's frustrating looking at the cable and boxes on the poles but patience is required.

• Advertisement

westyIrl wrote: »
    Pointless. In the days of state ownership, plenty strings were pulled alright. Nowadays, you'd probably have as much luck asking a local TD to force a windows update for some feature thats broken for you.

Jim

You know Thomas Pringle in Donegal told me 3 years ago when I was starting a WiSP that the 'National broadband plan is around the corner so there is no point in even bothering with this.'

What a joke. Seems most TD's are like this when it comes to Broadband. Only Pearse Doherty took interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thanks martin.
    If its the case that you are saying that its Open Eir fault for supplying you with the wrong data / information why arent you as a provider pulling them up on things like this and breath down their necks (and maybe getting problems sorted out quickly?)

Sorry now Andy but for someone that isn't planning on becoming an Airwire customer it comes off a bit cheeky for you to be giving Airwire sh here. It's understandable that you are frustrated but giving out about them not doing more for customers is a bit off especially when they have been amongst the most open, helpful and engaging of the ISPs that post on here, not to mention the ones that are providing the most up to date checking tool in 90+% of cases.

Perhaps I'm biased as I'm one of their customers and they went out of their way to help me get sorted when Eir said it was impossible but from looking at at the amount of times they've answered questions on here I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pointless, but they'll take credit for it when it does go live

m99T wrote: »
    You want Nigel Carter, he is Sligo CoCo's Broadband officer.

thanks - see thats invaluable getting someones name like that. I will contact him later see if he has any updates

westyIrl wrote: »
    Pointless. In the days of state ownership, plenty strings were pulled alright. Nowadays, you'd probably have as much luck asking a local TD to orchestrate a windows update for some feature thats broken for you.

Jim

primary School just up the road from us - my thinking is that the Local TD might have been able to highlight it saying the school needs high speed fibre broadband and that if he sped it up for them then I could automatically follow.

• Advertisement

primary School just up the road from us - my thinking is that the Local TD might have been able to highlight it saying the school needs high speed fibre broadband and that if he sped it up for them then I could automatically follow.

No. The school is covered by the schools broadband tender, which is not up yet. That's at least another year or two again, before that gets renegotiated.

None of the schools are a priority in the rollout. And they are not allowed to buy (of the budget) by alternative providers. They have to go with what Heanet gives them.

Some even have been left out, deliberately.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Parish pump politics is THE LAST thing the NBP/Rural FTTH needs. We already have a tw@t of a minister.

No. To be fair your exchange is scheduled for Q4 2018 and you are ten days into Q4. I know it's frustrating looking at the cable and boxes on the poles but patience is required.

it is frustrating I tell you why, the goal posts were already moved this year for this area last christmas I checked the eir site and it said expected to go live "Spring 2018" - then later on it said "mid 2018" now "4th quarter 2018" ... can you see why I am a bit agitated and even wonder if the goalposts will be moved soon to "live service expected Spring/summer 2019"

Again .. those were always estimated time for enablement. They were never set in stone.

And depending on how many problems they ran into along the road, things got pushed back.

You know when the DPs went in and if you read back, it's not uncommon for it to take 6 months after that for the area to go live.

Just down the road from you in Castlebaldwin the cable from Riverstown to Castlebaldwin was strung 1 1/2 years ago. It's coiled up on a pole about 1-2 miles short of Castlebaldwin. The cabinet was also placed 1 1/2 years ago and has had the status of "available soon" ever since. That's frustrating.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

it is frustrating I tell you why, the goal posts were already moved this year for this area last christmas I checked the eir site and it said expected to go live "Spring 2018" - then later on it said "mid 2018" now "4th quarter 2018" ... can you see why I am a bit agitated and even wonder if the goalposts will be moved soon to "live service expected Spring/summer 2019"

I understand and you're certainly not alone in your experiences. Many areas have had such setbacks. The positive is that they infrastructure is there, you know it's coming and you will hopefully be connected without issue. Causing yourself stress over something you can't control is counterproductive.

Sorry now Andy but for someone that isn't planning on becoming an Airwire customer it comes off a bit cheeky for you to be giving Airwire sh here. ...

ah come on now, I dont even know myself who I might settle with so I dont know how you know - I just had a plethora of people on boards telling meno matter what provider you are going with , keep checks on airwire availability checker which is what I have been doing.

I think at last count there are 3 ISP to choose from and I dont know yet I am just weighing things up. - I think I have ruled out eir .. but that could change ... I am still considering airwire , but the installation and connection fee and 55euro for 6 months and is putting me off - I am toying staying with my fixed wireless provider and seeing what offer they could do with changing me over and keeping me as a customer ... but no word of a lie Westnet with the free installation and free connection and 12 months contracted is very much swaying me at the moment out of everyone. I am not being cheeky I am just checking airwire like everyone advised me to do !

fritzelly wrote: »
    Pointless, but they'll take credit for it when it does go live

I will still tackle them on the subject and the delay next time they come to my door for my vote :)

Marlow wrote: »
    No. The school is covered by the schools broadband tender, which is not up yet. That's at least another year or two again, before that gets renegotiated.

None of the schools are a priority in the rollout. And they are not allowed to buy (of the budget) by alternative providers. They have to go with what Heanet gives them.

/M

ah right - I didnt realise all of that - thanks

I am still considering airwire , but the installation and connection fee and 55euro for 6 months and is putting me off

There is no connection fee. Just an installation fee. And it's only 55 EUR, if you're skimping on the installation fee. Every provider is making a loss there.

/M

There is no connection fee. Just an installation fee. And it's only 55 EUR, if you're skimping on the installation fee. Every provider is making a loss there.

/M

im reading it wrong then I must be - i am looking at 18 months on airwire - 129 installation (granted I got that wrong about connection fee- dont look like they charge for connection then) so its 129 = 55 for 6 months and then 50 for 12 months ....thats what I am reading it as

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ah come on now, I dont even know myself who I might settle with so I dont know how you know
    *ahem* :pac:

I'm going with paul ...... when I can order that is! LOL

So what did westnet do wrong? :(
    What's the status of your address on their tracker?

im reading it wrong then I must be - i am looking at 18 months on airwire - 129 installation (granted I got that wrong about connection fee- dont look like they charge for connection then) so its 129 = 55 for 6 months and then 50 for 12 months ....thats what I am reading it as

Correct. It costs the provider over 300 EUR to get you installed. So you're getting a bargain there.

/M

/M

Interesting side note:

Many schools in Donegal are using links from Airspeed Telecom on the 17G band and when they requested that they be moved to the new fibre network HEANet shut the request down straight away. Didn't want to hear anything of the sort.

A teacher in my old Secondary school in Donegal was actually so fed up with the nonsense between HEANet and DETB (With their worthless active directory and domain login network) he had his own Eir line installed to the school. Quite funny to see when the HEANet network dies everyone running to his office to use his wifi because it was always up.

m99T wrote: »
    A teacher in my old Secondary school in Donegal was actually so fed up with the nonsense between HEANet and DETB (With their worthless active directory and domain login network) he had his own Eir line installed to the school. Quite funny to see when the HEANet network dies everyone running to his office to use his wifi because it was always up.

Lots of schools are paying for an extra internet line out of their own budget. The filtering on the Heanet connections also prevents access to certain sites, that make for example research for Biology lessons really difficult.

But the fact is, that the argument of "the school needs broadband" falls flat, because that is and has to be provided through the schools broadband tender and by Heanet .. which is a completely seperate thing. Parish pump politics can't be applied there.

Parish pump politics is what has got the NBP into trouble now.

/M

Lots of schools are paying for an extra internet line out of their own budget. The filtering on the Heanet connections also prevents access to certain sites, that make for example research for Biology lessons really difficult.

But the fact is, that the argument of "the school needs broadband" falls flat, because that is and has to be provided through the schools broadband tender and by Heanet .. which is a completely seperate thing. Parish pump politics can't be applied there.

/M

Jesus, thats right I almost forgot all about their filtering. We were using HideMe VPN in Metalwork to try and watch wheelerdealers or something similar when our teacher had a hangover. Good times.

Yeah that is true. Do you know what the % of schools covered at the moment by 100mb is? I'm fairly sure its in the high 90's anyway. It's 750.

tuxy wrote: »
    So what did westnet do wrong? :(
    What's the status of your address on their tracker?

if I have to explain myself I will still say I dont know what I am going to do ... but indeed it is very much leaning towards westnet at the moment - sure why wouldnt i when his outfit are offering free installation and connection - i read a lovely piece about him in the irish times as well and his business was born out of frustration because the west was lacking in internet ... and he is a trained hypnotherapist! :)

no, he actually believes in customer service and people staying with his place and continuing to stay with him based on trust thats why he doesnt charge for installation and connection and offers a 12 months contract - where everyone else is charging for installation and connection fee - how comes he can offer it free ... more need to follow his business model.

Correct. It costs the provider over 300 EUR to get you installed. So you're getting a bargain there.

/M

what am I getting then if I go with a company that doesnt charge installation and connection fee then and 45eur PM? - as opposed to 55 for 6months and 50 for 12moths therafter and 129.00eur installation fee? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if I have to explain myself I will still say I dont know what I am going to do

Do you think you will have sufficient time to decide before it is available in your area?
    I'm not overly happy with my provider as I rushed into it.

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you think you will have sufficient time to decide before it is available in your area?
    I'm not overly happy with my provider as I rushed into it.

does that mean that i might be saving money by not paying installation fee and connection fee in the beginning but I might end up regretting it in the long run and gone with someone else - I never really thought of that but maybe u have a point ... hmmm

• Advertisement

does that mean that i might be saving money by not paying installation fee and connection fee in the beginning but I might end up regretting it in the long run and gone with someone else - I never really thought of that but maybe u have a point ... hmmm

You need to get that install done before the install redress scheme is introduced and you end up liable for it either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement