Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

m99T wrote: »
    You need to get that install done before the install redress scheme is introduced and you end up liable for it either way.

o right when that start Jan 2019 is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes, I went with Eir as the overall cost was less than alternatives. The service has been great as EIr network is solid but I know if I have any issues I may not be able to make contact with customer service, so for the sake of €100 if I could decide again I would now choose an ISP that has a better customer service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jesus, thats right I almost forgot all about their filtering. We were using HideMe VPN in Metalwork to try and watch wheelerdealers or something similar when our teacher had a hangover. Good times.

Yeah that is true. Do you know what the % of schools covered at the moment by 100mb is? I'm fairly sure its in the high 90's anyway. It's 750.

The National School figures would be more useful as most secondary schools are in urban areas. Data are hard to find though.

https://twitter.com/gloverstweets/status/986178673261862912

You need to get that install done before the install redress scheme is introduced and you end up liable for it either way.

My interpretation of the proposed scheme is that is may encourage the bigger operators such as eir, Sky and Vodafone to offer free installation as they have the funds available to absorb the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

The National School figures would be more useful as most secondary schools are in urban areas. Data are hard to find though.

https://twitter.com/gloverstweets/status/986178673261862912
    My interpretation of the proposed scheme is that is may encourage the bigger operators such as eir, Sky and Vodafone to offer free installation as they have the funds available to absorb the costs.

Thank you for those stats, they look very nice!

We can only hope in that case then. Not sure if they will willingly take money off their bill when they are getting away with having it on at the moment. I guess the market will decide that.

• Advertisement

what issues could you have with going for an ISP with bad customer service .. they all use the same equipment re ODT ONT and fibre cabling and DP's and OLT's

I suppose if something went down and you had to phone up , you would have to get in touch with your ISP and eir/OE wouldnt even entertain talking to you because your with a different provider - so if you cannot get an answer from your ISP customer services department I would say thats frustrating or if you have reported something to them and they dilly and dally about trying to get it fixed

what issues could you have with going for an ISP with bad customer service .. they all use the same equipment re ODT ONT and fibre cabling and DP's and OLT's

I suppose if something went down and you had to phone up , you would have to get in touch with your ISP and eir/OE wouldnt even entertain talking to you because your with a different provider - so if you cannot get an answer from your ISP customer services department I would say thats frustrating or if you have reported something to them and they dilly and dally about trying to get it fixed

I spent an hour yesterday holding on the phone waiting to speak to eir customer service.

o that would be good / positive if it did

o that would be good / positive if it did

IF. That's just my opinion. Don't rely on it.

IF. That's just my opinion. Don't rely on it.

no, you said it - so i am taking that as gospel now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I suppose if something went down and you had to phone up , you would have to get in touch with your ISP and eir/OE wouldnt even entertain talking to you because your with a different provider

No that would never happen and you would never talk to openeir directly, they must treat all providers equally and from all accounts they do. FTTH is just to the exchange and it's up to each ISP to maintain their own network to I high standard from the exchange.

Posts like this are what worry me.
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057915421

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We're going in major circles here, can we perhaps get back on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

This is where you are horribly wrong.

OpenEIR will not talk to you, full stop.

Router: the equipment that the provider provides you with makes a huge difference on how your perception of your broadband is. If the router is "undermotorized", then it's going to be bad.

Line: If you have a fault with your line, then reporting the fault and dealing with support staff, you deal with your provider. Always. They will engage with OpenEIR.

It's the same procedure for customers of Eir retail. Customer rings Eir, Eir engage OpenEIR etc. There is no difference between Eir over other providers when it comes to OpenEIR. Eir don't have a magic wand to bypass OpenEIR and go out and fix things.

Next step: depending on the provider and how they've build their network, there can be a lot of variation in how much contention you see. If the provider has interconnects all over the country and then brings your traffic on their own network to wherever they meet the internet, then you may very well see a difference in quality and contention. So just because somebody on Eir or another provider gets contended due to lack of bandwidth available, that may not affect customers that went with another provider in the same area.

Infrastructure: Interconnects and faults on these, DNS issues, SMTP issues, DoS attacks and how quickly a provider reacts to prevent these etc. Fault resolution. All of that very much differs from provider to provider.

Upstream: different providers have different internet connectivity. Again, quality can vary a lot here. If sub-marine fibers get cut, some providers may end up in bother, while others don't.

And that's not even all, that can be different between providers. The price point is not everything. The support after the fact, how well the providers network is build, how well it is maintained and how contended the network is another.

Just a few examples.

/M

ED E wrote: »
    We're going in major circles here, can we perhaps get back on topic?

I cannot see where we have gone off topic - we are all still talking about FTTH in this thread

Marlow wrote: »
    This is where you are horribly wrong.

OpenEIR will not talk to you, full stop.

Router: the equipment that the provider provides you with makes a huge difference on how your perception of your broadband is. If the router is "undermotorized", then it's going to be bad.

Line: If you have a fault with your line, then reporting the fault and dealing with support staff, you deal with your provider. Always. They will engage with OpenEIR.

It's the same procedure for customers of Eir retail. Customer rings Eir, Eir engage OpenEIR etc. There is no difference between Eir over other providers when it comes to OpenEIR. Eir don't have a magic wand to bypass OpenEIR and go out and fix things.

Next step: depending on the provider and how they've build their network, there can be a lot of variation in how much contention you see. If the provider has interconnects all over the country and then brings your traffic on their own network to wherever they meet the internet, then you may very well see a difference in quality and contention. So just because somebody on Eir or another provider gets contended due to lack of bandwidth available, that may not affect customers that went with another provider in the same area.

Infrastructure: Interconnects and faults on these, DNS issues, SMTP issues, DoS attacks and how quickly a provider reacts to prevent these etc. Fault resolution. All of that very much differs from provider to provider.

Upstream: different providers have different internet connectivity. Again, quality can vary a lot here. If sub-marine fibers get cut, some providers may end up in bother, while others don't.

And that's not even all, that can be different between providers. The price point is not everything. The support after the fact, how well the providers network is build, how well it is maintained and how contended the network is another.

Just a few examples.

/M

OK now that is all described - how do us the joe public know who to go with then , is there any reviews website on an ISP - or information on who has won awards on excellace or something like that ? or a track record of a particular ISP ?- or do we just go with a supplier ... and hope?

OK now that is all described - how do us the joe public know who to go with then , is there any reviews website on an ISP - or information on who has won awards on excellace or something like that ? or a track record of a particular ISP ?- or do we just go with a supplier ... and hope?

Joe Public usually talks to his neighbors and sees, what works for them. Or if he's a bit more tech savvy, he comes on to the forum here or in other places and he asks people for their experience. Or does his own research.

Comreg or trading standards or the enterprise board or somebody should have probably been doing a quality check. But there's no money or interest for that stuff.

The less complaints there is about a provider compared to the amount of customers over a time of period they have, the better a job they do.

There's always going to be complaints.

I'm just saying, that it's not black and white. And it's far from the way you look at it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Both Airwire and Westnet seem to have nothing but glowing reviews in this thread. Good customer service I read as well.

Digiweb has great reviews on Trustpilot. I have FTTH with them and can't complain about the service and their customer support when contacted. I chose them over Westnet/Airwire due to them having a more comprehensive phone bundle (available immediately) which suited our usage better. Had I no need for a phone, I'd have probably chosen one of them instead.

The above all offer a Fritzbox as the router with the phone as VoIP. I find it a very good device.

Eir tends to be a mixed bag based on feedback via boards. If it goes wrong then it seems you might have some issues getting things fixed. Their F2000 router can have wifi issues.

Vodafone are just starting to offer FTTH using OpenEir's network. I was a Vodafone customer and didn't have a bother and I found their customer service fairly reasonable to contact and able to resolve issues. No idea if they offer VoIP or if the phone is still connected via the copper cable.

Sky are starting to offer FTTH but not sure on the availability.

The others listed here I have no knowledge of but their offerings either didn't suit or you had to fill out a form to even get pricing... instant close tab on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most companies (not just telco's) usually have great reviews. The tell is when things go wrong and that is only when people starting writing bad reviews.
    At the end of the day you are tied into a 12 month contract, you're are not signing your soul away in blood so it's not that long to wait should things go belly up plus since nearly everyone of them end up putting their prices up in the last quarter you have another get out of jail free card
    Personally I would go for the best price for the speeds I want and worry about what may go wrong when and if it goes wrong.

MBSnr wrote: »
    The others listed here

How many of those pages do OpenEIR have with different listings ?

This one is more comprehensive: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Was an eir customer, tried to upgrade to FTTH however for some reason they tried to book me on FTTC (not possible as I love on a bog.).

Spent the guts of 2 months after this trying to get my order booked. The internal customer care staff seem to have broken my account which meant they couldn't even send the order to open eir.

Eir seem to follow a policy of pushing you off for a day at each time, or they will call you back tomorrow. Nobody knows anything and they start to get pissy if your on to them too much.

On top of that add all of the other things like quality of modem ect.

I am now with airwire, I don't call them much to be fair I don't need to. I normally email them and I get a response very fast, I am not talking to a script monkey I get guys who know what they were talking about like Martin.

So yah it does matter who you go with , some companies actually give a **** others like eir couldn't really give a crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

This one is more comprehensive: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

Ha - yet another reason to avoid Eir perhaps...:P

Representatives from Comreg will appear before the Joint Committee on Communications, Climate Action and Environment in relation to broadband installation issues. 2pm kick-off tomorrow.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/32/communications-climate-action-and-environment/

Hah. I will make sure to ask a few awkward questions in person :) At the Broadband Taskforce Forum.

/M

/M

oh theres another couple of providers on there i see do free installation - interesting

oh theres another couple of providers on there i see do free installation - interesting

Only the ones with the House logo do FTTH.

/M

Only the ones with the House logo do FTTH.

/M

i know - if i have the info correct BB net do Go Fibre+ free installation (no price pm though, got to call for details) and Net 1 do free installation 150mbps for 55eur/pm

i know - if i have the info correct BB net do Go Fibre+ free installation (no price pm though, got to call for details) and Net 1 do free installation 150mbps for 55eur/pm

I think Net1 is a 24 month contract in return for free installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BBNet stuck with them for 2 years - no mention of cancel clause
    Net1 - 99 euro install and 65 a month (for 150mb) edit thats wrong it is 55 and no install

• Advertisement

And BBnet are also limiting, where they service, like Westnet. But you can always ask.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement